Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I do have the 1.8T, but I have to park on the street because I live in the city. I never have heard the car do the fuel pump thing yet though.

Speaking of gas mileage, I have a pretty heavy foot and I just averaged 25mpg on my last tank of premium gas from Shell. Best economy yet. Most time is spent driving at 80+mph on the highway, with some city work as well.
  • Options
    There is some passion in here about the cars, but there doesn't seem to be as much as with the Mazda Protege room. Sorry VW guys, but it's true.
  • Options
    Justin's right. The G35 only comes with a slushbox. Guess you won't be buying one, right? If so, that would make you the biggest hipocrit (sp?) on the Edmund's board. :0
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    hopefully Infiniti will copy Lexus and Acura and offer a manual in a year or so. Otherwise, they will never cut into Jetta/A4 and 3 series sales.
  • Options
    blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    I saw a G35 yesterday, literaly 5 minutes after I had read Blueguys post. I am very interested in the car myslef, but when I saw it on the road, I'm not all that into the exterior. And I read somewhere, that some of the interior materials showed how Infiniti has a lower price compared to competitors. But then again it is a judgement call, what do you think Blue? As for the trans issue, Infiniti said a while back that a 6-speed manual (I beleive) will be avaiable about 5-6 months after the auto is introduced, similar to the IS300 auto/stick release. So it seems pretty good for you Blue. Since you got to drive it, have you pushed it to the limit to be sure it does what you ask for in a car, since you had said you didn't push the Jetta enough during your test drive....
  • Options
    preppy155preppy155 Member Posts: 8
    does anyone know about volkswagen ever having rebates? if any, how much, when, and on which cars? thanks.
  • Options
    jpcjpc Member Posts: 10
    The 82-90 VW diesels have mechanical fuel pumps. They do last quite a long time. My brother has an 89 Jetta Diesel with about 220k (the engine is almost identical.) With the fuel injectors out front on that engine there might be a way to check the pumps output pressure. I would suggest hitting up the TDI club. The new VW TDI diesels are great, but a lot of TDI owners used to own the older diesels (I've been thru 3 with no fuel pump problems.) Here's the link:

www.tdiclub.com

Hope it helps.
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    The word *REBATE* does not translate to the German...
  • Options
    I am not aware of any VW rebates. They are offering DECENT APR's through VW credit. They don't compete with Ford and GM rates, but then again, they don't have to ;)
  • Options
    dst1dst1 Member Posts: 1
    a newbie here.just bought a 97 jetta with 17/40 wheels. i am finding the ride too harsh. will a 17/45 tire be compatible? or do i have to change to 16" wheels?

thanks
  • Options
    668668 Member Posts: 13
    I used to own a 1987 Jetta GLI, and I know the new one is a very different beast. Will the new GLI have an MFA? Or will the only Jetta with an MFA become automatic only (GLX)? If so, I guess I will never get one, can't stand automatics or their cousins the "manumatics" be they called tipronic, steptronic, geartronic, or whatever moronic moniker a manufacturer comes up with instead of a true manual. No manual, no sale!
  • Options
    I don't know about the MFA, but the new GLI will
    ONLY come with a 6 Speed Manual & 200HP 1.8T...
  • Options
    blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    i think you mean vr6...
  • Options
    edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    Thanks, i've been to the TDI club but I'll look again. I wanted a new TDI, but didn't feel like paying 20K, so settled for the Mazda Pro-ES. This car runs reliably but at this point it is just basic transportation with the A/C finally on the blink (after 16 years - why can't Ford put one in one of their cars that will last 3 seasons?) And of course it's noisy as all get out - not like the new TDI's. What's the most miles you have had on your TDI's ?
  • Options
    I did the same thing back in February of 2001. I "settled" for a 2001 Protege ES automatic in black. I was going grocery shopping one day, and saw this beautiful 2002 1.8T Jetta in the dealer's lot. I stopped to test drive it, and 3 hours later left with the car. :)
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Ford doesn't build the Protege. It's built in Japan, and the a/c system is Japanese.

BTW, the Protege has a better reliability rating than the Jetta (a point you've spoken about yourself on the Protege board).

Since your car's only got 7,500 miles on it I can only assume it's under warranty. Why don't you get your air conditioner fixed?

BTW, my 2000 Protege ES has 35,000 trouble-free miles on it. My former Protege, a 1992 LX, went 83,000 miles (that's when I traded it in) and never went to the shop for anything other than scheduled maintenance.

Meade
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    I just got mine last month.

A co-worker is thinking of a new TDI, replacing his (his wife's) 84 Rabbit Diesel with 400,000 miles on it.
  • Options
    i had a 96 LX. it was AWFUL. in the shop from day one, not kidding. the car overheated because the japanese factory did not install clamps to keep radiator hoses on. alignment was NEVER right. always had a/c problems. and, the seats "shook" when no one was sitting in them. if i was driving alone, i could see that passenger seat moving around like some kid was jumping around in it, only the kid was invisible.

awful. just because a car is built in japan does not mean it is any better assembled than another. traded if after 5000 miles. took a HUGE loss, since it was a Mazda. but, it was worth it for peace of mind. too bad really, cuz it was roomy and half-way classy for a econo-car.
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    The car overheated because they didn't put radiator clamps on? That's really bad. I'm not saying it's your fault, but didn't you notice the coolant smell? It would take a while for it to lose that much coolant to overheat and you would surely smell it and see it LONG before overheating problems. "Gee what is that steam and maple syrup smell? Ah, it's probably nothin, I'll just keep on driving it???"

It's been said many times before, all cars can have problems. It sounds like you had a bad Protege. Fortunately, most Protege owners don't have that many problems. Matter of fact, STATISTICALLY, you are more prone to have problems with the Jetta than the Protege.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I know that the G CURRENTLY only comes with an auto (my closest friend at work just bought one). It's supposed to have the manual around September. The same six speed going into the Z, actually (same platform too).

And yes I've driven one and even on moderate corners and sweeps it EASILY out performs my Jetta. More power, more luxury, more style, more space, performance and one of the best dealer networks ever, plus the kinda reliability that doesn't exist in the world of my VW. Even with an auto it's 10x more fun to drive than my Jetta. I can't wait to try the stick!

BTW, I'm installing my sway bar tonight. :)
  • Options
    I ask myself the same question (even though I have never had hoses come out of my car). But I don't think that was the point of the post. Still, I am trying to figure out the same thing.
  • Options
    Why bother installing the sway bar on the Jetta? You are only going to get rid of the car. And wouldn't it be total irony if you got a lemon G35? That wouldn't be ha-ha funny, but it would be funny though (if you know what I mean).

And since you hate the car so much anyway, why don't you just run if off a pier or something?
  • Options
    I've worked on cooling systems many times. If you don't put the clamps back on, one of three things might happen.

#1, it will slowly leak. You will smell this and see steam from the coolant evaporating on the hot radiator.

#2, it won't leak at all.

#3, it will blow the hose off and you will definately smell it and see it right away.

Either way, you should notice this before any damage occurs.

My aunt's brand new Audi A4 needed new heater hoses at 180 miles becauase of faulty clamps that were too tight and ripped holes in the hose.
  • Options
    Because I'm still looking at another 5-6 months minimum with the Jetta, so why not enjoy it? $225 clams on a 28mm Neuspeed sway bar seems like a small price to pay when I'm carving down the twisty, fun roads of north county.
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Since you're leasing the car, are you taking the sway bar off after you turn in the Jetta? I've never looked at leasing before and was just curious what happens in a case like that....or say you added air intake for example.
  • Options
    sarah233sarah233 Member Posts: 161
    my first oil change is coming up. should i take it to the dealer, or will any place be OK??
  • Options
    I can't see returning the car at the end of the lease. I'll in all likelihood sell it long before then but should my simple mods make me love it and I hold onto the car, I'll definitely sell it outright at lease end (unless it's worth less money than my residual!).
  • Options
    i am no mechanic, but, the first time we had a cold morning that fall, i was driving to work, and the car started smoking. the temp guage went way up, and yes, there was green liquid all inside the engine. and yes, i could smell it burning, but it all happened in a matter of seconds. the dealer said that since that was the first time i had the heater on, it had something to do with it. they showed me what they installed, the little clamp thingy literally is no bigger than a bottle cap. because it was missing this thing, it allowed something to happen that shouldn't have happened. it was 96, don't really remember, but the dealer was fairly amused that a car could get delivered without engine parts installed.

taking my jetta in tomorrow for the 5k service at VW. i am at 5150. went over.
  • Options
    That's very strange that it happened in a matter of seconds. It should take a while without coolant for the temp gauge to budge. I've never heard of something like that happening instantaneously. When you warm your car up in the morning, your engine is basically running without coolant because the thermostat is closed. That is how your car heats up. It doesn't make any sense for you to lose coolant and have the temp gauge shoot up right away. I'm calling B.S. on either you or the dealer who told you that.
  • Options
    apatiaapatia Member Posts: 36
    Do you want to know my first thought when I opened this forum?...

"oops, did I click on the protege link by accident?"

At any rate, I WAS considering getting a jetta, but now I don't know. This is the first forum I've seen were most seem to >dislike< the topic vehicle. I think I'd see more love in a pinto forum (if edmunds had one).
  • Options
    AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    I can pipe up and say that I've thoroughly enjoyed my Jetta since last September. I have the 1.8T with Tiptronic. I have had no problems at all.

One thing you have to consider is that in a message forum like this, you'll hear a lot of complaints because people come to message boards to talk about their problems. Most people don't come to message boards to talk about their car operating properly unless they're car nuts. :^)
  • Options
    xudxud Member Posts: 32
    My advice to you is: test drive all cars you are interested, including the Jetta, then you make a decision. Don't be to much influenced by the negative opinions in the forum or the Consumer Report reliability ratings. Buy the car that you like. For the Jetta the reliability is not a big concern for 2001 or newer models since it is improved and is now rated average - to me it's acceptable.

I learned my lesson for paying too much attention to CR and other people's opinion. In 2000 I was about to buy a new car, at first Jetta was on top of my list, but my friends (and CR) persuaded
    me to buy an Honda Accord EX automatic. It was a big mistake . I did not like the Honda at all. It's slow and boring, and its seats were uncomfortable. I ended up selling the Honda within a year and bought a 2002 Jetta 1.8T 5 speed. What a difference! I enjoy driving
    it. So far my Jetta (now 6 month old) is problem-free except a couple of rattles - but they've been fixed under warranty.
  • Options
    jpcjpc Member Posts: 10
    I currently have about 80K on my 98 Jetta TDI and have had only one issue with the passenger electric window motor going (I hear this is a common problem with Jetta's.) All my older diesels were retired at about 180K-190K (83 Rabbit, 84 Jetta and 89 Jetta) more due to poor body conditions (i.e. rust) than anything engine related. The TDI's are great engines but the folks over in Europe have it even better. Their TDI motors run from 110hp up to 160hp(6cyl). I'd love to get one of those 6cyl TDI motors. Have you looked at getting any used TDI's ?
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    One of my bartenders at TGI Friday's was asking me about Vee Jetta's. He is "believe or not" selling his 99 Honda Passport, to his step-dad(he is sick of the bi-weekly $35.00 gas fill-ups). I believe, he is interested in the turbo sedan. His question was, where in Germany is the turbo Jetta manufactured? BTW, he loves the Jetta styling, however which variation of the Jetta gets the best gas mileage? What grade fuel do they use?

-Larry
  • Options
    They aren't made in Germany. The TDI gets the best gas mileage, followed by the 2.0L and 1.8T which get similiar mileage. The 1.8T and VR6 use premium fuel.
  • Options
    What? Well where in North America are the Turbo Sedan's manufactured?
  • Options
    Engine is made in Germany

Point of Assembly, it can be Germany, Mexico, or Brazil. My Golf was assembled in Brazil.
  • Options
    Now I'm confused is the Jetta Sedan(turbo) manufactured in one of three places? I'll tell the kid to go see the dealer, lol? This board is to confusing...
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    All Jetta Sedans are assembled in Mexico. The turbo? The TDI is a turbo and the 1.8 is a turbo, which one are you asking about? All Jetta Wagons are assembled in Germany. All of the VR6, 1.8 and TDI motors are sourced from Germany and the some of the 2.0 motors are sourced from Mexico. German assembly or Mexican will not assure you that you will not have MAF, window, or rattle and creak problems, so why worry about the assembly location. The quality and expertise of your local dealer is what needs to be investigated. VW has some very good dealers and some very, very, terrible dealers. The biggest problem VWoA has right now is the lack of consistency of the dealer network.
  • Options
    Just to add to the confusion, the manual tranny for the North American Jettas comes from Brazil.

All non-wagon Jettas come from Mexico. In my opinion the best products from Mexico are food-based. But that's just me. As you've read elsewhere in here, the Jetta is now considered average for reliability. Wahoo. That's impressive. Not.
  • Options
    Ditto that. I love carne asada burritos (even if they are messy and fall apart). Yum!
  • Options
    sarah233sarah233 Member Posts: 161
    that protegextwo is feigning confusion to make fun of us jetta folks?

"His question was, where in Germany is the turbo Jetta manufactured? BTW, he loves the Jetta styling, however which variation of the Jetta gets the best gas mileage? What grade fuel do they use?"

Just asking....it seems like the two biggest issues recently discussed on this board were where the cars are manufactured and what grade fuel they use. I think someone is trying to cause trouble... ( :
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    It may be a legitimate question. To keep this on topic, I recently got to see my g/f's cousin's Jetta 2.0. Very nice interior! I didn't get to take it out for a spin though. I like the folding key idea...I've had my share of pockets wrecked from my keys ripping thru them.
  • Options
    To answer protegextwo's question on which gets the best gas mileage: TDI will by far, gives you the best gas mileage.

Grades of fuel:
    2.0L: 87 octane
    TDI: Diesel No. 2
    1.8T & VR6: 91 octane for optimum performance.

Point of Assembly: See window sticker.

Top Fuel cars: just wondering, do they even run water as a means of a coolant?
  • Options
    No, they don't run water because even a 6000 hp motor will not overheat in a matter of seconds. When's the last time you saw a top fuel car with a radiator?
  • Options
    I don't watch top fuel

I watch WRC on the Speed Channel
  • Options
    I don't really follow top fuel either, but I have seen them at Brainerd International a couple times. Even if you don't like drag racing, it's worth it to see them in person at least once. They are the loudest thing you will probably ever hear in your life. They are violently loud.
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    Does anyone who has purchased a 2002 GLS 1.8T have a copy of the invoice and if you do, what is the base invoice price for the car? Dealers in Mass are quoting a base invoice of $18,719 for the manual and Edmund's is at $18,353 - a difference of $366. I think that base invoice includes Mass emissions of $99, so the remaining difference is $267. Is there typically a regional advertising and marketing fee (MACO) on the Jetta models? I am thinking that may explain the $267 difference...

Other than that, we are getting a price of $200 over invoice - how much have recent owners paid and in what region do you live? Thank you in advance for your help.
  • Options
    Thanks to all whom responded in a helpful fashion. I assumed, all Jets were manufactured in Germany. Duh,...my bad? My bartender, Jason K. at TGI Friday's is 86ing his Honda Passport(a gas piggie). We had a cool conversation about the 2002 Jet sedans. He likes the Jetta and is going to our local Vee Dub dealership Sunday to check out available stock and prices. I told him, that I corresponded thru the intra-net with some real Jet life owners. BTW, I believe he is shopping for the 1.8l turbo sedan 4-cl, however maybe it was the TDI? Is that a diesel? He is the one, who told me that all Jets were manufactured in South America? Geeze, I was wrong. My bad, for asking my Jetta questions here. In the future, I'll e-mail my good friend Vocus (Paul), directly. My opinion only, this is truly, one very nasty board.

-Larry Kline
  • Options
    The difference is $117.00...Port Prep = $25.00,
    FloorPlan INTEREST Reserve = $92.00 and probably
    $150.00 for a Regional Ad fee...They are accurate,
    and once again...EDMUND'S IS PROVIDING LESS THAN ACCURATE INFORMATION TO THE PEOPLE THAT RELY ON THEM FOR HELP>>>AND THEY HAVE GIVEN YOU A BAAAAADDD #