Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    Unfortunately I believe you are pretty much out of luck in terms of aftermarket integration. The MB phones have chips and software in the phone itself that integrate with the COMAND system. Yes, older models are not compatible with the new systems and I've even heard the the new COMAND System II replacing the system in the 2002 S/CL, 2003 E, and 2003 SL(that's right the current system in the new SL will be replaced early next year) will not be compatible with current V60 phones. Technology changes so fast (ie.computers/PDA/Software) that when cars are fitted with these things, like a PC upgrade, sometimes you have the replace the whole computer (or in this case, the car) to get advantages from new one item.
  • benznutbenznut Posts: 104
    Technology is supposed to make things simpler. Getting stuck with an analog phone in a 2000 S is simply unacceptable.
  • v12powerv12power Posts: 174
    My '01 S600 has a dual band star-tac phone. The issue I have is that in a rural area I can't get programming for the phone. I have to base it out of a long distance area code. They make you choose from four carriers, ATT, Verison, Sprint, or Voice Stream. That stinks because I don't have those to choose from. My cell carrier has been trying to get the ATT program OUT of my phone but it appears that it is also in the command system. So I pay more because they sell loyalties, unfortunately to thier advantage, not the customers. The bright side is that the Lexus system is worse, or at least it was.
  • cvrinccvrinc Posts: 16
    I have a 2000 S430 with the stock chrome wheels and Mercedes issued Continental ContiTouring 225/60 R 16 "H" rated tires. I have 27,000 miles on the tires and they are wearing out fast. Once these tires start to go, they really go fast and I am hearing a lot of tire noise.

I was hoping to get more miles out of the Continentals, but this is the first set for me. Is 27,000 about right for normal driving for these tires? I would have preferred the Michelin MXV series that were issued on some of the other S classes, but I guess this was the luck of the draw.

Now the question is, what is everyone's opinion on what brand of tire to replace the Continentals with, staying with the current stock size? And keeping in mind the best ride, handling, and durability for the S Class.

I look forward to hearing everyone's response.

Thanks
  • cmcgaheecmcgahee Posts: 5
    No question about it. Go with the Michelins! Total mileage depends on your driving habits, but 27000 miles isn't bad. You'll think you have a new car with the new Michelins.
  • cvrinccvrinc Posts: 16
    Thanks for the response. I am leaning toward the Michelins MXV Plus series, but I didn't know if anyone else had a recommendation for the latest and greatest in tire technology for the S Class stock replacements.

The Continentals never impressed me. Why did Mercedes have 2 makes of tires on the S Class? Some had Continentals and some had Michelins.

Any other recommendations and specifically what tire series?

Thanks
    The Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus is the tire that MB fits from the factory. If you want a little bit sportier tire for the car you could get the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season. Both have a 400 treadwear rating, meaning they will last a long time, I would expect 40k miles or better. Both are good all season designs. The Sport will sharpen steering response and probably be slightly noisier. Impact harshness may be a bit more too. We are splitting hairs on this though. An S500 is plenty quiet to start with. I personally would move to the Sport, but I am still a young whipper snapper. Either way buy the Michelins.
  • bbrown12bbrown12 Posts: 2
    When one thinks of the sophisticated systems on the S-class I own, this seems so petty. I cannot get my stock 16 inch wheels to balance. The rims are perfect, the tires as well. I had them done several times on various machines and this week on a Hunter GSP-9700 which is supposed to be the best vibration analyser available in North America. However , the shimmy persists. Any suggestions???
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    What year S Class do you own? The early W140 ('92-'99) models were notorious for wheel shimmy.
    Just because the tires look perfect,does not mean that they are. Sometimes you get a bad tire that is difficult to balance. The better tires from makers like Michelin seem to require less wieght to achieve balance.
  • bbrown12bbrown12 Posts: 2
    My S class is 2001. the tires are Michelin MXV Energy. I've had snows on the back for about 5 months and the front ones are just about finished @25 thousand miles despite moderate driving and frequent tire pressure checks and rotation. Michelin folks tell me that's about right mileage for that tire . I thought I'd get more mileage from a 60 series tire.
    Thanks for the responses to my wheel balance problem.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    The Hunter balancer addresses things like variation in the tire sidewall stiffnes as a source of vibration. Generally it is quite good in resolving tire/wheel balance issue. I suppose that it is still possible that the tires could have some problem with the belts that the Hunter might not address. Since the front tires are shot (at lower mileage than I would like as well) it probably is worth your while to replace them. When they are replaced you should have the front end inspected and realligned. The front end inspection should be done carefully looking for worn parts such as the steering shock, and bushing wear. If that doesn't cure the shimmy one other place I can think to look would be the brake rotors. Good luck and let us know how it goes. These problems can be vexing but can be resolved. One last thought does the shimmy persist after you have been on the highway a long period of time?
  • Maybe MB should fix it's reliability problems before it tries to build any more "super cars." A super car that is undependable isn't much of a car at all. Consumer reports puts the S-Class below the Cadillac Deville and most other luxury cars in reliability (CR, April 2002, 24).

Moreover, JD Powers ranks MB 14th out of 20 in its long-term dependability study. Cadillac, Lincoln and Jaguar all score higher than MB, along with the usual suspects, Lexus, Infiniti, Toyota, Honda, etc.:

http://www.jdpa.com/studies_jdpower/pressrelease.asp?StudyID=585&CatID=1

Electrohydraulic brakes from a company that can't get basic reliability right? No thanks.

P.S.

Just keep the trolling up Merc1. It will give me an excuse to expand this thread to every MB board on Edmunds. When you actually have to spend your own money on a car, rather than reading about them on the web, you might start caring about things like dependability.
  • baron87baron87 Posts: 93
    Maybe once MB catches up to Opel in Europe things will change. Yes, Mercedes has fallen behind Opel, of all brands, in quality in Europe. Aboslutely laughable, and yet you people (merc) go around touting Mercedes as the "epitome of quality and reliability." See the facts, folks, facts.
  • crankstercrankster Posts: 20
    I can barely wait to see the lawsuits when MB brings out Steer-by-wire in a couple of years. Won't it be fun to be in THAT when the system fails.

Ditto on the Merc1 comments.
  • Good to see you folks ;)
  • I mistakenly said JD power ranked MB 14th in long-term dependability. Actually Audi ranked 14th. BMW ranked 13th and MB ranked 10th. That, however, still puts them behind Cadillac (8th), Lincoln (4th), Jaguar (3rd), Infiniti (2nd), and Lexus (1st).

For the kind of premium one pays to get that three-pointed star, one should expect a better showing than 10th in long-term dependability. Does it make sense to pay a premium for Lexus quality? You bet. There's no better car in terms of quality on the face of the planet right now.

Alternatively, one can buy a Deville DTS or Q45 and get better quality than the S-Class at a $25k discount.
    those cars are no fun to drive Mark. There is no premium for Lexus, they are the discount brand.

There is a lot more toa quality automobile than JD Powers numbers. I'll tellyou what, you buy a Caddilac and we willcompare how they function after 100k miles. JD Powers is way off and you are twisting the results to justify buying a cut rate lux car.
  • So, when companies like CR and JD Power, who dedicate significant resources to giving consumers unbiased information regarding quality, tell you your car doesn't hold up particularly well, you chose not to believe them. Would this still be the case if they said MBs were wonderful? I wonder.

Please tell me what was twisted about the JD Power and CR assessments. If you're going to accuse me of twisting the facts, give me a chance to see the error of my ways. What exactly did I twist when I quoted the results of two different reputable quality-related research organizations?

As for "fun-to-drive," I think a 'Vette would be more fun-to-drive that any of the aforementioned choices. The Q45 is somewhat fun to drive, although it may not make enough "mechanical noise" to suit some people. I'll bet the 400hp CTS will be more fun to drive than any of these choices, save the 'Vette. By all accounts, the CTS is one of the best handlers on the market today, and perhaps just a small notch below the BMW 5-Series. With a 400hp aluminum block V8, with all of that engine's attendant torque, I'm willing to bet the CTS will be plenty of fun to drive! Especially if there are MBs around willing to take up the challenge!

Better quality (in relation to MB), very good fit and finish, power 'till the cows come home, all at a reasonable price. That's what the CTS, and future Caddys, are all about!
  • popovspopovs Posts: 3
    So, besides those of us who have an ax to grind because of a bad exprience at an MB dealership, or those posting deragatory information in a vain attempt to justify their purchase of anything other than a world class car with truckloads of - dare I say - snob appeal...

Are there any legitimate MBZ owners/enthusiasts who wish to contribute something usefull to this discussion?