Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• Options
    gt_fangt_fan Member Posts: 159
    I figure ipse_dixit's post is a good excuse to jump back on the TCS subject. (See posts: 1316, 1317, 1322, 1324, 1326, 1330, 1336 & 1342) Mysteriously, my TCS has finally started working. When I give it just a little too much throttle going up my icy driveway and the tires break traction, the TCS light flashes and I hear a grinding, pulsating sound from the front wheels. I assume that this is from the ABS system pulsing the brakes to limit wheel spin, but what it FEELS like is a stripped gear in the differential! Quite disconcerting at first, but just like the brake pedal pulsations in an ABS system, you get used to it. It seems to work well, keeping the wheels from spinning too much. I'd really just as soon do without the TCS, but I sure wouldn't trade away the ABS brakes. They continue to work superbly.
  • Options
    rtartartarta Member Posts: 4
    Do any one know were to get a good tech manual for an Elantra. I have been to the local parts stores, but none have anything on any of the elantras. I do most of easy maintenance on my car, but not with out a tech manual.
  • Options
    wmoseswmoses Member Posts: 212
    I was told by the salesman who sold me my car that they can order a shop manual (same as the one they use) for about $60. That is about as good as it gets. There are no Chiltons or Haynes manuals yet for this Elantra.
  • Options
    compensatecompensate Member Posts: 212
    $60 is cheap for a manufacturer's manual. Mazda wanted about $100 for their manual for a 1999 Protege.
  • Options
    compensatecompensate Member Posts: 212
    Well, I must say that I must be a magnet for damage to my Elantra GT.

Less than one week after I got it (July 2001), a large nut fell from a tree while I was driving and put a small indention in the roof, right in front of the sunroof. No paint was chipped, so it wasn't too bad.

Four weeks ago, I was driving on the Interstate when all of the sudden a spray of some sort hit my windshield. Wipers wouldn't remove it. When I got home, I looked and saw what looked like black paint spots splattered across my grille, hood, windshield, and side mirrors. I cannot remove these spots, and they are all over the front of the car. Someone said it could have been tar, but I suspect paint - don't know how it would hve gotten in the air on an interstate highway.

Last week, while driving on the Interstate again, I was following a few cars in the left lane when a huge piece of a truck tire tread came at me from under the car in front of me - it looked like the entire tread from an 18-wheeler tire, folded in half. I couldn't avoid it and chose to straddle it the best I could. When I got home, I checked under the car and everything was fine (Hyundai did a great job in making the underside of the GT fairly flat). However, the front end sustained some scars from the tire impact. There are several black smears across the bumper as well as some deep cuts (probably tire belt ends) in the lower front panel.

Sigh!
  • Options
    My heart is heavy for you, compensate, what with all the damages your GT has suffered. I know how I felt when I got "shopping-carted" just before Christmas.

Being new to the US South myself (Houston) I can't say I am impressed in the least with the detritus that is on the freeways and the mess that can damage one's property, such as the paint-like substance that sprayed your car.

Then there is the garbage that people like to fling out of their windows ...
  • Options
    jackyl100jackyl100 Member Posts: 25
    I actually had to look up "detritus" in the dictionary. I am very impressed and proud to be in such good company. GT owners sure are smart!

Well, at least we are most of the time. A few weeks ago I accidentally left my sunroof open overnight and it rained! I was just sick! My poor baby! To think what could have happened! I'm just not used to having a sunroof I guess.

Fortunately is was just a light rain and I was able to quickly and thoroughly towel-dry the leather. Then the next day I followed up with a leather cleaner/conditioner. Everything still looks and smells like brand new. Leather is the best interior for a car and I don't think I'll be able to live without it ever again.

A little wiser,
    Jacky
  • Options
    guysterguyster Member Posts: 1
    My airbag light has come on a few times while I'm driving. Wondering if anyone else has had that happen. My clock hasn't come on a few times either lately. Hoping there isn't some wiring fiasco waiting to unravel. Other than that I love the car. Got it in August '01 for 11,7995.
    Goes to the dealer tomorrow. Will post the results when I get back.
  • Options
    guyster said --

"My airbag light has come on a few times while I'm driving. Wondering if anyone else has had that happen. My clock hasn't come on a few times either lately."

Did you have the underbody of the car washed at a car wash?

The reason I ask this is that sometimes the powerful jets shooting straight up can wet your electrical connections and cause a short. This goes away after the engine has had a chance to thoroughly dry out -- say a day or two. I have had this flickering clock experience with my Grand Caravan. Otherwise, the clock works just fine.
  • Options
    Thanks for the compliment, Jacky. :-)

Sorry to hear about your interior getting wet but chalk it up to another learning experience, eh?

Yes, leather is easy to live with and care for. I believe that the trick is to keep it conditioned, or else it will get dried out and cracked up with age. The steering wheel is not to be overlooked either. Mine is getting shiny, and I will have to wash/condition it soon.
  • Options
    jim7heaven7jim7heaven7 Member Posts: 25
    I have a sunroof, but its not factory installed. So far is has been great, first sun-roof for me. It has memory functions unlike the factory. It will close the sunroof automatically when I turn my car off, dont know if I like this feature yet, since I would like to have it open on the hot summer months to come. About the leather, I read the owners manual and it says not to condition the leather that the leather has already been conditioned and to only clean it. Is this true, this is also the first time for haveing leather and I want to do what is right, since I want good supple leather over the age of the car. What products do you folks use on your leater? I just purchased one of those Tornado air flow products I will let you know how it works, I usally not one to purchase these things but I thought what the heck and try it out. I was going to go with the K&N air filter system, but they didnt have any in my area for the Elantra. I have been getting great mileage already with this car, I have approx 1300 miles on the ODO and I have been averaging 27.2 mpg with about 70% city and 30% highway driveing. At last tankup I put in Super grade fuel last fuel-up, I think I will continue to use Super for the life of the car, I dont mind the price yet since I have been getting such good fuel-economy.
  • Options
    When I was shopping for car care products, I didn't see anything that was just a leather cleaner. I think they all did both. I think I chose the Turtle Wax brand and I must say I was very pleased with the results. When I was done, the leather wasn't greasy and the steering wheel and shift-knob weren't at all slippery. And it still looks great. I'd love to hear what other leather care products y'all have been using.

I picked up my 02 in late December and now have 2991 on the ODO. I'll be taking her in for her first oil change today. I haven't decided if I'm going to the dealer or not. I guess it depends if they can get me in 'cuz it has to be done today. We'll see.
  • Options
    silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Lexol makes separate products for cleaning and conditioning leather; both are excellent. Whatever you do, do not apply silicone-based products to leather if you want your upholstery to last.
  • Options
    I used Lexol on my last two cars and recommend it highly. If you look at enthusiast sites for the expensive European cars, it seems to be the general consensus that Lexol is the product of choice for fine leather.

As to the GT's manual saying not to use leather conditioners, I'm wondering if it has something to do with the lower grade of leather used in Hyundais. I've heard from furniture people that the finer quality leathers have a smoother surface and are more supple, but are more delicate. All thing being equal, the lower quality leathers are a lot tougher (great for those of us with kids!) and maybe don't benefit as much from leather conditioners. I did use the Lexol on the steering wheel though, and it really helped to reduce the hard, slippery feel.
  • Options
    cmulqueencmulqueen Member Posts: 14
    I recently used Armor All leather conditioner on the GT. I haven't really noticed any meaningful difference, but I didn't use very much. I suppose it's primary purpose is to prevent cracking. Also, I recall receiving a mailing a few months ago from Hyundai that mentioned caring for leather seats (among other advice related to the elantra). I don't remember any details, but it was contrary to the advice in the owner's manual about not having to put any conditioner on the seats. I think I still have the mailing so I'll try to find it.
  • Options
    I really appreciate the tips on the leather conditioners. I have another question, I know if may be a little early, since old man winter does not want to go away, but what type of waxes and polished do you folks use on your cars. I want a good quality polish or wax to help my new GT retain her beauty.

Thanks
    Jim
  • Options
    I've always used Nu Finish on my cars and been satisfied.

Consumer Reports did an article on auto polish in their November 2000 issue that had some good general info and some recommendations. I've never been a huge fan of CR's auto reviews, (they never met a Volvo they didn't drool on) but their tests of smaller consumer products are usually quite helpful. Here's the gist of their recommendations:

"If a shiny finish is your paramount concern, first consider Zymol CleanerWax liquid and Nu Finish Car Polish paste. But be prepared to make some compromises. The cleaning ability of both products was so-so, and Zymol's durability was just middling. Also, the Nu Finish tended to scratch or haze somewhat, a problem especially with dark-colored cars. The Zymol is also quite expensive, at $16 a pint. The Nu Finish costs about $6.20 for a 14-ounce can.

Among the high-rated polishes, the Prestone Bullet Wax, about $7.25, and Armor All Car Wax, about $5.55, lasted the longest. But neither one quite matched the gloss that the Zyml and Nu Finish paste produced. The Armor All scratched or hazed more than most."

IMHO, the most important thing about waxing your car is doing it regularly. Better to have cheap wax on the car than none at all.
  • Options
    dougndodougndo Member Posts: 136
    The March 4 edition of AutoWeek just came in the mail. Its focus is the 2003 Tiburon, but, lo and behold, following the four page Tiburon review is a full page devoted to the Elantra GT. It's a fair article, I believe, and it shows the GT to be a real value.

Frankly, I'm shocked to see a Hyundai featured in AutoWeek, and I'm almost having a stroke seeing two of our favorite cars given such a high profile in a magazine that I've enjoyed and respected for years.

Now, as long as our friendly dealers don't raise the prices along with the newly raised journalistic profile... aw, who am I kidding? They'll try to jack the prices up.
  • Options
    5port5port Member Posts: 395
    Dougndo

Autoweek has mentioned the GT before only in passing. Good to see a full review. I hope to get my copy by the weekend. The new Tiburon gets 4 pages and we get 1? The 2003 Tib does deserve the coverage, nice design.

Next week Motorweek will review the 2003 Honda Civic Si. I cant wait till they get to the 0-60 times and its the same as the Elantra GT. Even with 160 hp its a little too heavy :)

2001 Elantra GT
    PIAA Xtreme White low beam
    K&N Filtercharger
    B&M short shift kit
  • Options
    hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    How do people find the engine sound? I'll likely test drive a GT for myself soon but I'm wondering about others' impressions. I like an engine that is very quiet at idle and while cruising but that has a nice snarl while accelerating.

I test drove a Suzuki Aerio last night and it's 2.0L 141hp 4-banger is noisy and annoying (both in sound and feel) at all speeds, which really killed it for me. I'm hoping the Elantra GT will be better.
  • Options
    bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    For my taste the GT has a nice idle demeanor. When pressed it does get very noisy. Maybe that is one of the reasons people give when comparing the refinement of the GT to its Japanese competition. The GT is noisier when pressed.
  • Options
    I like the way the GT growls a bit when I stomp on it - I think it sounds like I have a V6. At idle and cruising speeds, I think the engine is exceptionally quiet.
  • Options
    hpulley4 asked --

"How do people find the engine sound?"

I like the sound actually. The car is generally a quiet car, and the engine is quite refined with a smooth quiet idle. When pushed hard, there is a valve in the exhaust that opens up and allows for a freer flow, and this results in a more aggressive sound. Get it up to 5000 rpm or so, and it really sounds nice!

Cruising at 70 mph (115 kph) it is pretty quiet. See more reviews linked to my Elantra GT website at:

http://www.gwebworks.com/elantra_gt/

The Elantra is a much nicer looking car than the Aerio, and I bet you will be far more impressed by another of its strong suits -- its handling.

• Options
    bri70 says --

"When pressed it does get very noisy. Maybe that is one of the reasons people give when comparing the refinement of the GT to its Japanese competition. The GT is noisier when pressed."

Well I don't know. There is noise and there is a "racket". Some [exhaust] noises are nice, and most performance cars have exhaust notes that are tuned not only for performance, but also for the sound it makes.

The Elantra GT does a great job of being nice and quiet when it needs to and being somewhat growly when you wind it up. It befits the GT badge.
  • Options
    rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    Thanks for the link to those reviews. The Motorweek one is really very favourable, and they aren't easily impressed. They're never rude (PBS after all), but rarely have such positive review on a vehicle in this price range.

Way to go Hyundai! It's interesting that they are again looking at a N.A. manufacturing plant - the last one was in Sherbrooke, Quebec I think.
  • Options
    rwr1708rwr1708 Member Posts: 34
    Hi everyone.

I am just graduating college and am looking to buy a new car. I am very interested in the GT, because it is a very well equipped car for the money (I won't need to sell my soul to a bank to get it, just my left arm). I have a Subaru Legacy sedan right now, but want something a little more youthful, and something that I can put miles on without being too concerned about the warranty expiring, due to miles. I have several questions about this car, and I would GREATLY appreciate any answers, help, or advice that any of you could offer.

1. Is the traction control very helpful in the snow/bad weather.
    2. Any major reliability problems?
    3. Is it easily upgradeable (I would consider upgrading the stereo, K+N filter, spoiler, new alloys, etc.) and are the upgrade products readily available?
    4.Since this would be my first manual, is it an easy manual to learn, and after I learn, is it smooth to drive?
    5. Is the manual quicker than the auto? (I drove the auto, and it seemed a little sluggish.)

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
    Rich
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Yes. No. Don't know. Yes. Hardly noticeable.

Seriously, it is a fun car to drive and it holds its own in the luxury appointments as well with cars costing thousands more. I have the traction control and ABS and used them both during the winter. They work as advertised. Have over 20,000 great miles on an automatic. I test drove a manual and thought it was easy to drive but needed a car fast and wanted the traction control and the ABS which I could only find on an automatic at the time. Good luck!
  • Options
    Answers to rwr1708's questions --

>1. Is the traction control very helpful in the snow/bad weather.

Others who have had the chance to use it have said so. I have not personally had that experience being in Houston.

> Any major reliability problems?

Based on previous Elantras I have had and also on comments from others and in the literature, there are no reliability problems -- major or otherwise. This is a very reliable and successful car for Hyundai -- their best-seller actually. The GT is a step up, although it uses the same platform.

> 3. Is it easily upgradeable (I would consider upgrading the stereo, K+N filter, spoiler, new alloys, etc.) and are the upgrade products readily available?

Yes. There are many sites on the Internet which showcase what people are doing to sport-tune Elantras and Accents. The aftermarket might not be as accommodating as for Hondas and Acuras and so forth, but there are quite a few performance products to be had. All of the parts you mention above are easily available right now.

> 4.Since this would be my first manual, is it an easy manual to learn, and after I learn, is it smooth to drive?

One of the best manuals made by Hyundai and on par with anything Japanese, IMO. The clutch is light and smooth so it would be easy for you to get it right after a bit of practice.

> 5. Is the manual quicker than the auto? (I drove the auto, and it seemed a little sluggish.)

With *very few* exceptions, the manual transmission in most cars is always quicker than the automatic version. This i not exception. I expect there to be a 2 second difference in 0-60 times. The difference would be a bit smaller in the 1/4 mile.

For more information, visit my Elantra GT website

http://www.gwebworks.com/elantra_gt/

• Options
    canuck1gtcanuck1gt Member Posts: 9
    I have heard a few times about the exhaust valve that opens above 4000 RPM. Just out of curiosity, where is this valve located. The reason for asking is when time comes to change the muffler, will I need to purchase a more expensive original replacement if this valve is located in or near the muffler?
  • Options
    Well I was very glad that I was not able to find and buy the March 2002 issue of AutoWeek
    The article that others have mentioned on this forum can be read at

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=reviews&content_code=01329730

It is one of the most condescending articles I have seen about this car, and I have read pretty much all of the reviews out there.
    When one reads this "review" and the others I have linked to on my page, it is easy to see which one is the "oddball".
  • Options
    risa5risa5 Member Posts: 23
    I got to test the TCS the last week or so and yes it does work. My street doesn't get plowed and I was too lazy to shovel my driveway. Anyway, my sloped driveway was mostly crunchy snow and ice while the street had patches of solid ice. The TCS kicked in a few times and got me going safely. I felt completely in control.
  • Options
    How did the PBS people over at Motorweek manage to get a 8.0 second 0-60 out of the 5spd GT, when it took the Autoweek enthusiasts 9.0? I don't recall seeing such a large discrepancy between tests of the same model vehicle before. Weather, driver weight, altitude, pavement, tightness of the engine and driver skill can have an effect, but a full second? Was the Autoweek crew pulling a trailer or did the Motorweek folks use a JATO assist? Hmm.

I'm happy to report that my GT has reached the 3000 mile mark and it's lifetime mpg is up to 31 mpg. Of course I drive like an old granny around town, except for a top speed run I made last week. Got it up to 115 mph before traffic came up (Rather quickly as you might imagine. Wish those pedestrians would stay off the sidewalk). I don't recommend that kind of activity and I probably won't go that fast again, but the car seemed relatively stable at that speed. I've heard talk of an engine governor that kicks in at 115, but I guess I didn't go quite fast enough to experience it.
  • Options
    gt_fan wanted to know --

"How did the PBS people over at Motorweek manage to get a 8.0 second 0-60 out of the 5spd GT, when it took the Autoweek enthusiasts 9.0?"

Good question, although I believe the MotorWeek numbers based on the fact that I saw the show and heard John Davis say the 0-60 time, so it is not just a typo on the website. Also, I have seen other reviews where they quote 9+ second times, meaning that ability to do a proper acceleration run (or series of runs) varies from person to person, technique to technique.

MotorWeek, IMO, gives fair reviews of the vehicles that it test drives and does not bring preconceptions to the table the way AutoWeek seems to have done.

Lets just be glad, as Hyundai Elantra GT owners, that Consumer Reports don't do the acceleration numbers. Their well-known bias along with their questionable technical ability would certainly see even slower elapsed times. Just my $0.02...
  • Options
    hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    clutchless shifting, etc. will give impressive 0-60 times that few average consumers will see. The difference can be quite large between using these rough techniques and simply flooring an automatic hard or shifting a stick at redline without using other tricks. Some take their best run, others take the average. Air temperature makes a big difference too.
  • Options
    ralphwigralphwig Member Posts: 2
    I've boiled down my new car choice to either the Elantra GT or the Toyota Matrix, based primarily on the storage capacity. I haven't had a chance to see a GT up close - can you owners tell me if a dog can fit in the very back section with the seats in the upright position? Use a sliding scale of "poodle" to "great dane" if that helps. I believe the cubic feet is 18.1/15.1 GT/Matrix, but I'm a bit concerned about the sloping window.
    Thanks in advance
  • Options
    My Greyhound can just barely stand up in the hatch if he's up against the back seats. He's very tall for his breed (think Afghan hound size), so I'm sure that breeds like Labs and German Shepards would have plenty of headroom. Of course Murphy, the very retired racer that he is, would just as soon stretch out on his dog bed for the duration of the trip anyway.
  • Options
    5port5port Member Posts: 395
    Wmoses:

I been subscribing to Autoweek for years and I have to agree that the GT review was one of the most biased I have read. Its like he made his mind up before the review. I insist my engine is not raucus and loud above 4000 rpm. Whats noise to one person is a song to another.

They also said that the new Tiburon weights 3028 pounds. Wow is that baby heavy. Where did they put the weight?
  • Options
    bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    "Its like he made his mind up before the review. "

Yes. Because it is a Hyundai. Hyundai is still shorted by some auto journalists. I thought Edmunds review of the 2003 Tiburon focused too much on subjective criticism on cosmetics i.e. the headlights were overdone etc.

Too often a review of a Hyundai product ends with "it does not reach the refinement of its Japanese counterparts..." or "Hyundai is a step closer to being taken seriously." Blah, blah, blah. Step closer my rear end. They are there. I would take a GT over any other car under 17K out there. And I would even take the Hyundai over some cars costing more than 18K.
  • Options
    jarviskejarviske Member Posts: 2
    Can anybody recommend a good Hyundai dealer in the Bay Area? I live in the East Bay so the closer to that area, the better... thanks!!
  • Options
    dougndodougndo Member Posts: 136
    Let me start by saying I've never seen an unbiased review, and I'll quickly follow by acknowledging that some reviews are more biased than others.

I grew up and lived in N Ohio and S Michigan for over 40 years before coming to CA, and I can tell you two things: my Dad was UAW and I subscribed to AutoWeek for a very long time. While my Dad and his buddies tolerated European "automobiles" they despised Asian "cars," and when AutoWeek first started to give any real press to Hondas, Nissans, and Toyotas, there was a lot of hell to pay for some of the AutoWeek staff.

A number of those early AutoWeek pieces on Japanese cars were pretty condescending, and my Dad's UAW brethern were still steamed that the cars were even in the magazine. Now AutoWeek regularly uses Japanese "automobiles" as the standard of quality.

So, while it's true that the Tiburon and the GT (especially) got less than objective coverage, I'm stoked that they got covered at all. I've already voted three times with my dollars for Korean Hyundais, so I don't need AutoWeek to tell me anything, but I do like to be able to tell my gearhead friends, "Yeah, the Tiburon and the Elantra GT were featured in AutoWeek--FOUR pages for the Tibby, plus the cover." They respond, "Really?" I say, "Yeah, really. AutoWeek took Hyundais seriously enough to drive them, what the heck is stopping you?"

So far, three accepted the challenge. One bought a 5-speed 2001 Tiburon and will be making SharkRacing some money, and another just brought home an Elantra GT instead of the Mazda his wife wanted. Once they try the cars, the value and quality equation speaks for itself.
  • Options
    zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    I don't know about the bay area but i got mine in sac . it might be worth a drive up to get one here . Go hyundai in folsom quoted me 200 over invoice , and i got mine at Maita Hyundai in sac and got it for 200 lower than Go . I did call all the hyundai dealers in bay area and none had any at the time i got my GT (jan 3) but i am sure they had some now in stock . a week after i got mine a salesman from fairfield hyundai call me back and told me they had one in cobalt blue, the color that was my first choice but i had already got a chanti red one . But what i would do is go to all the area webpages and email them you are interested to buy . i am sure they will all match or beat each other and you can get a great deal . but make sure u aren't set on only 1 color because when i was looking IF they had gt's they only had 1-3 tops on each lot if they had any at all . Good luck
  • Options
    dougndo hit the nail on the head when he said --

"Once they try the cars, the value and quality equation speaks for itself."

I think that is the whole problem with some people and their attitudes towards today's Hyundais. They are _scared_ to try one because if they do, they would be very surprised, pleased and shocked -- all at the same time. Then the value and warranty will kick into the equation, and the left side of the brain will tell them that it just doesn't make sense to buy something else. And if they end up buying this Hyundai, what will their "conventional-wisdom" friends think ... they will be subject to ridicule and have to defend themselves, etc ...

Nah ... better to leave them Hyundais alone, and not try any of them, in case it up and bites their wallet. Scared, I say. ;-)

We know better.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Edmunds has an interesting "consumer ratings & reviews" section in their New Vehicle pricing guide that you may want to check out.

This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

Here's a direct link to the 2002 GT Elantra Consumer Ratings & Reviews. Also, if you own a GT Elantra, we look forward to seeing your review there. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • Options
    risa5risa5 Member Posts: 23
    Something is off with the Ratings scale. The ratings scale doesn't agree with what people wrote. It seems like it used to be on a 5 point scale then switched to a 10 point. Most of the numbers seem to have been converted, but how does a review that ends with "I just plain love this car!" end up with only 4 out of 10?
  • Options
    estoesto Member Posts: 136
    The second Elantra GT consumer review rates the GT with a 4.0, but the last sentence is:
    "I just plain love this car!". The third review says: "I'd give it a 4.5 if the scale allowed" for
    a very positive review, which seems to indicate the author is looking at a 1-5 scale.
    Also, the last review is for an Elantra GLS sedan, not a GT hatchback.

Erik
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Yes, I see what you mean. I sent a copy of those reviews along with your messages to my manager. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something. This may take a little time to figure out... since it needs to go through a couple different departments/ladders. Hope you understand. Thanks very much for the feedback... and for your patience.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • Options
    ipse_dixitipse_dixit Member Posts: 24
    Getting back to 0-60 times, I believe that Autoweek was simply reprinting numbers supplied by Hyundai, whereas MotorWeek gave the results of their own testing. As to why the numbers differ so much, however, it's all a matter of luck, location, and technique (which, if you recall the stink over 0-60 times published for the Lamborghini Diablo, can sometimes include burning up a clutch in a single run).
  • Options
    I drove by a Toyota dealership yesterday in my 2002 Cardinal Red Elantra GT 5spd and decided to take a look at the Toyota Matrix. I am sorry but that car is butt ugly. You really have to see it in person to know what I mean. Of course what looks good is matter of opinion but, it looks like a squat station wagon with big doors, I do give Toyota this they have alot of cargo space and a 180hp engine in the XRS but I will take the GT thankyou. I looked at the price tag, it had weather protection package, and bumper gaurds and 6 cd changer for over 20 grand. This car does not have leather are side impact airbags, thats another option. Seating is high in the car and it seems to have a pretty high roofline, but I coudnt get over how large and square the doors are. I just drove away with a smirc on my face and in knowing that I made the right choice and saved 6000 dollars on my purchase. I also was turned off by the Toyota sales people, talk about arrogant. Well thats my two cents worth.
  • Options
    This morning I saw just the third GT I've ever seen on the road (excluding mine). It was black with tinted windows and looked really nice. Gee, at this rate everyone in this city of 350,000 will be driving one! (hehe) It's actually kind of nice having a really exclusive look without having really exclusive mechanicals that are impossible to get fixed!