Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• Options
    tmundartmundar Member Posts: 70
    cjaccetta,

Based on your criteria, I would lean toward the Honda. While the GT has the Civic trumped for flexibility, the Civic has the edge in reliability and economy.

While I believe that Hyundai has made great strides in terms of reliability, I do not believe that they have reached the level of Honda and Toyota, yet.

For fuel economy, the Honda has the advantage. The Civic Automatic gets 30/38 city/hwy EPA MPG, while the Elantra gets 24/33. Of course, EPA MPG should be taken with a grain of salt. In Consumer Reports, they got 28 MPG (Civic) vs. 25 MPG (Elantra) during a recent test in mixed driving.

Of course, there are many other considerations in the economy of a car. The Civic will cost more to begin with, but it will also be worth more after a few years. Depreciation for Hyundais is much worse than Hondas. I have seen two-year-old Civics on sale for more than a new Elantra.

The Kia Rio wagon might have a little more cargo space than the Elantra GT, but I believe that Kia's reliability is currently lower than Hyundai's (Although they have similar warranties, and I am sure the Kia's reliability will improve in the future).

Have you considered the Kia Spectra Hatchback?

Personally, I would never make a decision without driving the cars. Each person has different opinions about how a car should feel. I preferred the feel of my 1997 Hyundai Tiburon over all of its competitors. It felt the most like my other car (which wasn't running at the time). The fact that it cost less then all of its competitors was a bonus.

Of course, my choice of the Civic is assuming that your three criteria are weighted equally. If flexibility is weighted more heavily than reliability and economy, then the choice could swing back toward the Elantra.

Personally, the three cars that I have narrowed my choice down to are the Hyundai Elantra GT, Mazda Protege, and the Nissan Sentra SE. Of course, if Hyundai takes too long bringing out the GT, I may consider the Toyota Matrix or the Pontiac Vibe.

It is too bad that the GT will not be out until May. The GT may face stiff competition from the Mazda Protege5 on my list. If the GT comes out in April, I would probably buy it before the 5-door Protege is released (Assuming it is as good as I hope it is).

Tom
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Should make for an interesting spring. Drove a 2.0 01 Pro ES and was impressed. Had an auto. Hatchbackers shouldn't rule out VW Golf. Even basic GL comes standard with ABS, side and head air bags (4), full spare, heated mirrors, and a host of other goodies including some of the best adjustable driver and pasenger seats in the industry. VW also offers 10/100 on engine and powertrain and does all maintenance for first 2/24. Mileage is in Elantra territory unless you get the diesel.
  • Options
    vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    EPA Estimated Miles Per Gallon:
    w/2.0L Engine & Auto Trans.: City 22; Hwy 28
  • Options
    cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    Good feedback as usual, tmundar. It's always tough to discount the Civic, but the prices of most models are relatively high here in NJ. One criteria I didn't mention was safety, and the Civic does have a good record there. Recently a friend totaled her 1995 Civic coupe -- she walked away from the wreck and received a settlement of over $10,000 from her insurer. Not bad.

I really do like the new Civics, but why o why, did Honda ever decide to cease producing the wagon version?!? I can't put my mountain bike in the sedan...

I actually followed a Spectra h/b for a few miles this morning on my way to the office. Nice looking car, but the Sephia pedigree frightens me. Of course, I plan to thoroughly test drive many vehicles before I buy so I'll probably spend a full day at the Kia dealer driving all the models.

You mentioned the Mazda Protege in your last post. I saw several of the "sport wagon" models when I was honeymooning in Bermuda last summer. They were right-hand drive but I think they are essentially the same version being imported to this country soon. I fell in love with the look of the cars and remember wishing (at the time) that I could get my hands on one here. Especially a blue one. Well now it looks like a possibility. I think I'll add that one to my list as well.

Thanks again for the advice!
  • Options
    The Civic and the Elantra are probably about the same as far as safety is concerned. On the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) web site, The Elantra got 5-stars for front passengers and 4-stars for rear passengers in the side impact ratings. The Civic 2-door got 5-stars for front and rear passengers, but the Civic 4-door got 4-stars for the front and rear passengers. The Elantra is scheduled for front impact testing in March, so I cannot make a comparison there (All Civics got 5-stars). The 2000 Elantra got 5-stars for the driver and 4-stars for the passenger for front impacts, and I doubt if the 2001 Elantra will be any less effective.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/2001Cmpt.html

I have seen the effectiveness of the Civic's crash protection. On February 11th, I watched an older SUV lose control and a Civic crashed straight into its side at about 60 MPH (although the relative speed of the impact was probably closer to 25 MPH). Everyone walked away from that crash.

Tom
  • Options
    jkempskiejkempskie Member Posts: 49
    That's good news. Surprised that leather comes as standard... thought it would just be an option. Also wondering about the ABS/TCS package. Probably tough to find. Also, with standard 4 wheel disc brakes (right?), it's too bad ABS weren't standard. Say, besides what you listed, won't it come standard with alarm and CD player as well?

leomort-

About my Subaru, don't worry about it. If you're considering a new one, I'm sure they're fine. I'm driving a hand-me-down '92 Loyale wagon... you know, the ones you see that are all rusty. It's got the weakest engine imaginable, has a 3-speed automatic transmission (that revs at 4000rpms at 65mph!), and stinks in many other ways. The 4WD is great, though.

Now... back to the Elantra hatchback:
  • Options
    estoesto Member Posts: 136
    I was under the impression that the standard leather in the GT was on the steering wheel (leather wrapped) and shift knob - not the seats.
  • Options
    bobcook54bobcook54 Member Posts: 79
    That's what the distribution manager told me and he has already put in his initial order. If you ask your local dealer, he probabaly won't know much because Hyundai hasn't officially released any thing yet.
  • Options
    Thank you, Bob, for your information, but I think Erik is right. I do not wish to contradict you, since your information sources are better than mine, but everything I have read mentions a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob as standard, and the leather seats are an option.

The most convincing argument for me is that everything that I have read says the GT is going to be only about $1000 more than the base Elantra. Normally, leather seats all by themselves are more than a $1000 option, and the GT has upgraded wheels and tires, a CD player, rear disc brakes, and a sport-tuned suspension that are not included on the base sedan.

Tom
  • Options
    orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Does anyone know if heated mirrors are available on the new protege, elantra, or outback? Also which have the best kind of side airbag. I know that VW has available heated mirrors and head airbags.
    When you have an old car that has certain conveniences, you are not too keen on spending up to 20,000 on a new car that does not!!!
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Heated mirrors are a standard feature in the Elantra (U.S.-spec anyway). I don't know what would constitute the "best" side airbags, but the Elantra's 5-star (best) front seat side impact rating says something. Some cars have a "curtain" style bag that may do a better job of protecting the head, but it appears on photos that the Elantra's side bag extends up to cover the head area somewhat.

If I can get leather plus all the other goodies in the Elantra GT for just $1000 more than a GLS, I might be tempted to turn in my '01 GLS for a GT. That's a base price of only $13,500!! Probably no $500 rebates on the GTs though. :(
  • Options
    Just heard back from our distribution manager- It WILL have leather seats STANDARD.Also,the dash will have white face gauges along with all the other thins in my previos post. Bob
  • Options
    I would like to apologize in advance for this rant. Since this doesn't have much to do with the Elantra GT, I will try to keep it short. Let's see if I succeed. :)

Who came up with the idea that white-faced gauges are "sporty?" All of the real sports cars that I have driven have all had black-faced gauges. Let's look at some gauges in some recent car magazines. Ferrari? Black. Porsche? Black. Aston Martin? Black. BMW M3? Black. Acura NSX? Black. If the car makers want to give the impression that their car is a high-performance car, they should make the tachometer the largest gauge and place it in the center, like in a Ferrari or Porsche.

I guess that it is just another example of the American public's emphasis on image over substance, like all these SUV owners who should be in minivans, or sedan drivers who turn their noses up at the infinitely more useful hatchbacks. :)

End of rant.

Tom

P.S. Don't get me started on automatic vs. manual transmissions or you'll be sorry. :)
  • Options
    Went to the first day of the Greater (?) Twin Cities Auto Show today. Not only was the Elantra 5dr a no-show, they had only one Elantra in the entire display, and that one was on a rotating platform so no one could look at it. If Hyundai is trying to sell Elantras in the Twin Cities, that ain't the way to do it, folks. I guess they're trying to push the Sante Fe here, because there were several of those on display. I asked the Hyundai salespeople on duty about the 5dr, and they said it would arrive in August (must take longer to get all the way to Minnesota from Korea, as they have to haul them by dog sled) and it would cost $500 (!) more than the GLS. Maybe Hyundai USA could make sure that all their sales reps have all the facts about their new cars? Anyway, I checked out all the other 5drs in the show. There was no sign of the new Protege 5dr, but Subaru showed off the new Imprezza 5dr (or wagon or whatever), and it was sharp looking I thought, quite distinctive and roomy--more back seat room than the Forester. No others really caught my eye.
  • Options
    I am disappointed by the lack of coverage that Hyundai has been giving about the Elantra GT. I can understand if Hyundai wants to emphasize that they have a SUV since the ignorant masses shopping for a SUV might not know that Hyundai has a SUV, but I think that it is foolish to do so at the expense of their other vehicles.

I am also annoyed at the lack of information on Hyundai Motor America's web site. With the release of the Elantra GT only a month or two away, they should at least have some information about the new model. There is not even an e-mail address to ask for more information or report errors about the web site (not that I have found any yet, but I have yet to find a web site without any typos). The Mazda web site has information about the Protege5.

The thought that the GT will take even one sale away from the Santa Fe is ridiculous. The Elantra GT is one of the top 3 cars I am considering, while I have not considered the Santa Fe for a second. Either you want a SUV or you don't.

The longer it takes for the Elantra GT to come out, the longer I have to change my mind about buying a new car. I love my current car, and the primary reason that I am considering a new car is for monetary reasons (My current car costs a lot to maintain). I just got a quote from my insurance company on replacing my current car with an Elantra GLS, and the insurance cost was almost double. If the numbers don't work out, I have to decide if the price difference is worth the excitement of owning a new car.

Tom
  • Options
    malaz002malaz002 Member Posts: 4
    Well, it seems like we attended 2 different versions of the Twin Cities auto show! I went yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. I saw 2 Elantras - in addition to the blue one on the rotating platform, they had a black one on the show floor for the masses to paw at will (it was against the wall near the copper-colored Santa Fe).

When I spoke with one of the Hyundai staffers about the fabled 5-door version, he stated that it should be available in "about 60 days". He was an older gentleman who seemed very confident about his information. He also confirmed that it would have full leather seats (eek!) and that it would be priced at around 16K (aarghh). As I had been very much hoping for a compact and practical, fun-to-drive ECONOMY car, I was very disappointed to hear that the Elantra GT will be tarted up so much that it will be well beyond my financial "snack bracket". The performance upgrades (suspension, tires, etc.) are a great idea, but why not save the leather and frippery for the more upscale models??

Oh well, my search continues...
  • Options
    malaz002malaz002 Member Posts: 4
    Personally, I would rather that there was very little fanfare associated with the release of this car.

Hype = increased demand = increased cost!

Cheers.
  • Options
    I hope that leather seats are not standard. If Hyundai wants to sell more cars, they would be much better advised to make ABS standard rather than leather. I am sure that there are many more buyers that will choose not to buy a car that does not come with ABS then care all that much about leather seats. There are also many people who might choose not to buy a car because it has leather seats. Here in Arizona, leather seats mean not wearing shorts in the summer.

The point about less coverage equating to less demand is a good one, but there are many points between over-hyping a product and having no information at all. A simple page with a list of standard equipment and available options is all I want. I don't want them advertising the GT as the best thing on 4 wheels, although that is what most car commercials promise.

I found out about the Elantra GT by accident. When I started my search for a car, I had an image in my mind of the perfect car that I was looking for. My image of the perfect car (before I found out about the GT) was a Hyundai Elantra wagon with the Tiburon suspension. Therefore, when I found out about the Elantra GT, I was very excited since it was almost as if the Hyundai engineers had read my mind (before I even knew what I wanted).

Tom
  • Options
    otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    Howdy all, I read that the Elantra HB is supposed to debut at the NY auto show in April. We'll see if that's so. FYI, another auto website had the Elantra HB set for debut at the Chicago auto show. There was even an icon to click on for photos and information. But the car was never unveiled and the icon never activated. Hmmmm. I guess we'll have to be patient. I'll be biding my time by driving the Spectra HB and checking to see when the Madza "sport wagon" arrives in addition to the Elantra HB.
  • Options
    leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    impeeza 5 door/wagon where you looking at the had more rear legroom than the Forester?

Leo
  • Options
    jkempskiejkempskie Member Posts: 49
    tmundar- You're right on about the lack of info on the HB as well as the lame U.S. Hyundai website. I actually came across a press page very similiar to the consumer one mentioned above (I got to it from t-h-c.org). THAT site did have a place for journalists to e-mail Hyundai about something or other... Though not a journalist myself, I took the opportunity to tell them that they should have someplace on the consumer site where people can e-mail comments about the site, etc. It's so shallow. No good pics or anything. By the way, I still love your GT page!

It makes no sense in my mind that they'd offer leather standard instead of ABS, especially if it'll bring up the price significantly. Though leather sounds cool in theory, I'm not sure I would want it! There's really no way to know exactly when this car will be here, how it'll be equipped, or how much it'll cost until it actually arrives.

JK
  • Options
    ken126ken126 Member Posts: 39
    I received my april auto edition of consumer reports which says the hatch will be out in the fall. If that is true as well as that 16,000 price tag someone mentioned in a above post they can keep it.........
  • Options
    leomort, the 2002 Imprezza wagon I checked out at the Twin Cities Auto Show last Saturday had more rear leg room than the 2001 Forester, measured thusly: I sit in the driver's seat, adjust it to my 5' 10" body, then check out the rear seat. I checked both vehicles within 5 minutes of each other and I had the distinct impression (imprezzion?) of more leg space in the new Imprezza wagon.

Malaz002, I must have missed the "stealth" black Elantra on the show floor. At that point, my kids were getting antsy to go check out the conversion vans (I'll never buy one, but they love climbing all over them). The sales people (two youngish women) were defintely not the same ones you talked to--and they had much different facts about the GT. I liked their story much better: "$500 more than the GLS" vs. $16,000. I'll bet the $16k was what the sales guy's asking price will be for the GT, vs. what the list price will be.

Has anyone else noticed that not one major automotive publication in the U.S. has done a full review of the 2001 Elantra? The Motor Trend COTY article doesn't count, as they devote 12 words to each car. When will Car and Driver, Motor Trend, or Road & Track do a full review on this new-for-2001 car? When will Edmunds review it??? The only full review they've done on ANY Hyundai in the past couple of years is the Accent last year. Meanwhile, they've done five Kia reviews and three Suzuki reviews in the past two years. C'mon, guys!
  • Options
    Consumer Reports did a review of the 2001 Elantra in their February issue, and they were impressed. In that issue, they tested 4 cars (like always) and the Elantra was their second favorite car, bested only by the Honda Civic. The last two cars were the Toyota Corolla and the Chevrolet Cavalier. In their list of all similar cars tested, the Hyundai was 5th behind the Ford Focus ZTS, Honda Civic, Toyota Prius, and Mazda Protege ES. I believe that there were 6 or 7 cars beneath it (I don't have the issue in front of me). The Elantra was the least expensive car that they have tested in this group (even less then the Kia).

The next month, they did a test of small SUVs and they were also impressed with the Santa Fe. It finished in between the Ford Escape and the Mazda Tribute (two SUVs which are basically twins).

I believe that most car magazines do reports on the cars that they are given by the auto manufacturers. If Hyundai stepped up to the plate and promoted the Elantra to the car mags, they would test it. I think that Hyundai may be waiting to present the Elantra GT to the car magazines since the car mags cater to car enthusiasts.

Tom
  • Options
    vellyvelly Member Posts: 8
    Will the US version of the car have the rear spoiler or will it be an option? The only media I have seen for the car with spoiler have been from the Korean website. I really don't care if it is just an option as long as I can get it.
  • Options
    I am 90% sure that the Elantra GT will have a rear spoiler available as an option. You can get a spoiler on most of the other Hyundai vehicles, from the Accent to the Sonata. Since the GT will be marketed as a sporty car, I doubt that a spoiler would not be available. Since the Korean Hyundai Avante XD on their web site has a spoiler, that is a good sign that a spoiler will be available here.

Tom
  • Options
    So what is the final word on the leather seats, is it going to be standard? What a waste of money! I want my sunroof, abs and spoiler. And I want it all for under 16K! Also, if they take forever to get the cars into the dealer I might just have to go with a Focus ZX5 or a Mazda Protege Sport Wagon. I think the Elantra and Mazda might be more refined than the ZX5.

velly
  • Options
    otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    I agree..leather as an option. I'm none to happy with the fancy rims either, prefer hubcabs and the $$$ in my pocket.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I agree that leather should be an option instead of standard, but am glad alloy wheels are standard. Who wants dorky hubcaps on a sport-oriented car? Hubcaps look cheap and are always used on low-end models for that exact reason You must be the only person that has ever actually preferred hubcaps over alloy wheels.
  • Options
    I hope that the Elantra GT is available before June 1st. There is a state-wide sales tax increase that goes into effect that would increase the taxes paid on the Elantra by $100. I voted against this tax increase.

The Mazda is scheduled for release in May, but I believe that the Focus ZX5 will not be out until August. A year from now, 5-door hatchback buyers will have many more choices: Chrysler PT Cruiser, Ford Focus ZX5, Hyundai Elantra GT, Kia Spectra, Pontiac Vibe, Saab 9-3, Subaru Imprezza Sport Wagon (including the WRX), Toyota Matrix, and Volkswagen Golf. There also will be some new blood in the 3-door hatch market with the Mini Cooper and the Mercedes-Benz C230 Sport Coupe.

I hope that leather seats will be optional, but I do like the alloy wheels. Unfortunately, ABS will be an option that will be nearly impossible to get, according to my dealer. Consumer Reports also could not get an Elantra with ABS. Is this because I live somewhere which does not snow or rain very often? Is it easier to get ABS up north?

I just got the new Car and Driver, and they have a review of the Hyundai Elantra.

Tom
  • Options
    Wow -- I'm very distressed to learn that the price of the GT could be as high as $16K (post #67). For that kind of scratch I'll take a WV New Beetle (which has entered my shopping list and, as former "old beetle" owners, is beloved by both me and my wife). My continued hope is that the price will be near $1000 over the sedan. And forget about those leather seats. After three or four trips carrying muddy mountain bikes and their filthy riders those hides will be ruined. Hyundai should know that hatchbacks = utility. Leather does not equal utility. Leather equals scuff marks and a cold [non-permissible content removed] in the winter!

I'm also very discouraged at the lack of info available for the GT H/B. It seems like most of the interest in this vehicle is centered right here in good old Edmund's Town Hall. Another reason why this site is so neat. I've seen a few of the sedans in my town so I know at least that model is available. Maybe we should re-title this topic the "Elantra 5-Door Stealth Model".

Well, I gotta get back to work now. Keep the info coming. By the way, I live in northern NJ and I will be attending the NY Auto Show next month so I'll keep my eyes peeled for any and all GT hatchbacks. Plus, I want to be sure and check out all of the new "crossover" (read: station wagon) models from Mazda, Ford, Pontiac/Toyota and VW. I think it's great that the industry is finally listening to the consumer who needs to carry stuff but doesn't need to pay the high price and high fuel bills of a ridiculous SUV. All we need now is for some astute, consumer-friendly internet automotive publication to develop an easy-to-use comparison guide for all the upcoming 5-door wagon production models. Hello...Edmunds? Topic host? Anyone?

Later, alligators.
  • Options
    parkchesterparkchester Member Posts: 13
    http://www.hmc.co.kr/kor/cybermall/product/avantexd/5door/exter.htm

Menu on the left hand side takes you to interior/spec/etc...the site is in korean lanquage with LOTS of informative pix...

• Options
    darpin1darpin1 Member Posts: 49
    In the April issue of Car & Driver in their preview of the present 2001 Elantra. The writer mentions a 3 door hatch GT at the end of the article and says it's HOT... Anyone see pictures of it?
  • Options
    I believe that the 3-door announcement in Car & Driver is an error, and they are really referring to the 5-door hatchback. The 5-door will be HOT. :)

The Hyundai Elantra 3-door hatch is called the Tiburon. :)

Tom
  • Options
    darpin1darpin1 Member Posts: 49
    Here is the quote from Car and Driver:"And wait until you see the three-door hatchback Elantra GT we'll get next year. To use a word not commonly associated with things Hyundai, it's hot."Since we already know and the rest of the world knows about the 5 door is going to be available this spring/summer...maybe it isn't a typo...Right?
  • Options
    The 5-door hatchback Elantra is called the Elantra GT in the United States.

We know that the 5-door exists, but the world doesn't know. The mention in the Car and Driver and Consumer Reports are the only places that I have seen the Elantra GT in print. I did not find out about the Elantra GT until I happened to be reading the Edmunds report on the Elantra GLS.

There is actually very little information about the Elantra GT. This message board is probably the best place for information on the 5-door (in English), and most of it is rumors. My Elantra GT Page is the second best place that I know of. I search the web for more information about the Elantra GT once a week to add to my page. I haven't found any new information in a month.

If you can read Korean, you can visit the Korean Hyundai Motor Company site, which has information about the 5-door.

Tom
  • Options
    uttutt Member Posts: 16
  • Options
    14K for a car with almost everything imaginable standard, including leather???? What a great deal! Good job Hyundai for keeping the car below 15K. Let's all hope anti-lock brakes won't be impossible to find. And to think Honda charges 14K for a Civic LX with a wheezing 115 hp and less than half of the features. What a joke!
  • Options
    From the news story text it sounds like the Elantra GT will be the best bargain in America. What other standard features could Hyundai possibly add to the car? Blender? Hair dryer? George Foreman Grill? $14k is a steal. Where do I sign up?

I have seen a few Elantra sedans recently and they appear far more sophisticated and substantial than the models from 1999 and older. In fact, the sean looks like a hybridization of a Mazda Protege and a Toyota Corolla. If you removed the badges no one could tell it was a Korean car. Very pleasing.
  • Options
    sjslosjslo Member Posts: 16
    Although I have not run into problems with the brakes on my 2001 elantra, ABS would be nice. We didn't bother though because we knew it would be impossible to find one with ABS. I have to admit, it is quite an attractive car. My girlfriend has an Integra and is quite jealous...

There is nothing wrong with the GT's breaks. Four wheel discs are ideal for this class, there should be no fade and if the brakes are as well calibrated as the Elantra sedan they should be fine....AVAILABLE ABS would be nice though....
  • Options
    I hope this means that the seats will be cloth in the middle with leather accents. Are the seats completely leather?
  • Options
    rat284rat284 Member Posts: 20
    The term "leather seating surfaces" is used to describe nearly every car with leather seats, because only the middle parts are actually leather. The rest is usually vinyl.
  • Options
    While ABS would be nice to have, I do not consider it a deal breaker. I believe that intelligent driving habits will help you avoid accidents more than ABS, but ABS would help in some rare cases (such as on a rainy day in heavy traffic if someone loses control of their car).

I consider leather seats more of a problem than the difficult to find ABS. In the summer, you cannot sit on leather seats and wear short pants or skirts. It is not a huge problem for me because I am willing to use a car cover all of the time, but I would prefer to not have leather seats in the first place. I currently have vinyl seats in my car, but when I get them reupholstered, I will see if I can get them to cover the seats in cloth.

Tom
  • Options
    ABS has been proven to shorten stopping distances significantly in every situation except for on ice and on gravel roads. Therefore, I feel it is a worthwhile option. However, ABS should not be used as an excuse to drive more aggressively or be less attentive. Good driving skills is always the most important, but its nice to know you have ABS to help you get out of situations you can't on skill alone.
  • Options
    I agree that ABS can significantly reduce stopping distances, but how often do people need to stop fast enough to engage the ABS? If the answer to this question is not "very rarely" then there is something wrong with the way you drive.

I am not saying that ABS is not a valuable thing to have. If I can get ABS in the car I buy, I will, but, unfortunately, it seems to be nearly impossible to get ABS in a Hyundai where I live. Consumer Reports also was unable to find an Elantra with ABS. All I was saying is that if I am unable to get ABS in the Elantra GT, that will not stop me from purchasing the car.

Who was the moron at Hyundai who decided to make "leather seating surfaces" standard in the Elantra GT but ABS is still an option? Are Hyundai's suppliers not able to produce enough ABS systems? If ABS came standard in the Elantras, Hyundai probably couldn't produce enough cars to meet demand.

Tom
  • Options
    maw1982maw1982 Member Posts: 62
    I have to disagree that ABS is not worth the cost on the Elantra. No one has brought up the fact the traction control is included with the cost of ABS. In my opinion, traction control is as important and useful as ABS is. I am looking at acquiring a small car down the road and the elantra caught my attention because it was one of the few small cars with available traction control.

I am a safety-conscious person and I feel that any safety feature is much more worthwile than any frills such as leather or sunroof.
  • Options
    maw1982maw1982 Member Posts: 62
    I noticed while looking at a site posted on this forum this picture

http://www.mundar.com/images/hy00elan_5_6_g.jpg

This pic shows the interior of an elantra and it has auto climate control in place of manual air conditioning.

I wanted to know if the US version of the elantra gt will have auto climate control?

• Options
    rat284rat284 Member Posts: 20
    I don't think so. Lots of Hyundais (and other cars) sold outside of the US in the past have had auto climate control, but it never came here. Probably because cars of that size aren't really considered low-end "economy" models as they are here. And with the relatively small price difference between the GLS and the GT, I don't see any way we'll be getting it.
  • Options
    Dear Matt (maw1982),

If you reread my message, you will see that I agree with you. The message I was trying to get through is that Hyundai should make ABS standard and leather seats optional.

I do not want leather seats because I live where it gets very hot, and I do not want a sun roof because I am tall and I usually need that extra inch or two of headroom.

According to my local Hyundai dealer, it is nearly impossible to get ABS on an Elantra. Consumer Reports also was unable to get ABS on their Elantra. Maybe Hyundai USA does not think that we need ABS here since it (almost) never snows and rarely rains. Maybe they send all of those cars that have ABS up north.

I didn't get ABS when I bought my Tiburon 4 years ago because you HAD to get the sun roof and a leather interior to get ABS. I didn't want to spend $4000 extra for options I did not want in order to get ABS (and according to the salesperson I talked to recently, he has only seen one Tib with ABS at the dealer).

It annoys me that the Elantra GT will come with leather seats that I do not want, and will probably only offer ABS with a sunroof. At least the base Elantra with option package 5 has almost everything I want and nothing I don't. To bad I couldn't get it even if I wanted to.

Tom
  • Options
    As a manager at a Hyundai dealer,I agree that I would rather see ABS rather than leather standard and have expressed that to people in Hyundailand.We are attracting a much more influential customer base than in the past and they expect all the latest safety devices and technology to be either standard or readily available. ABS is now becoming increasingly available on Elantra 4 door,perhaps a sign of things to come. Bob