Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Racing Development (TRD) aftermarket parts and equipment

alex18talex18t Member Posts: 117
edited March 2014 in Toyota
i just thought we needed a place to discuss New TRD products and other toyota mods.

Anyone have any questions or news?

Tell us about your mods. and post some pics!

>here's my question, what does anyone know of TRD coming out with a turbo or SC for the 1zz engine?

2k Carbon Blue Celica GT

Comments

• extremerextremer Member Posts: 9
    I just got my supercharger installed on a double cab. The dealer said it would take about 3 weeks for the computer to recognize all the additional hp. So far it seems great. Getting about 17.5 mpg and not much additional noise....lessen I put ma feets down on dat gas pedal! Any other supercharger owners have positive/negative comments?
  • alex18talex18t Member Posts: 117
    what sc do you have? what kind of car, what year?
  • persynpersyn Member Posts: 6
    anyone know of an aftermarket cruise control for a toyota echo?
  • iceclifficecliff Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know of an aftermarket laser cut grille for the '01 Tacoma?
  • stankiusstankius Member Posts: 17
    I'm thinking about getting a supercharger for a 2001 4Runner. Is the installation very difficult? I know that teh top half of the engine comes off and Toyota gives about 13 hours. At 70$ an hour that's about $1000 in addition to the cost of teh supercharger. Any one out there do it themselves, and if so any thing not in the installation instructions that I need to keep in mind?

Joe
  • boomn29boomn29 Member Posts: 189
    How about mods for a new Celica GTS. I found a website from Australia that claims to have produced a chip:

http://www.powerchip.com.au/chips/chip.asp?cid=Toy0074

Don't know anything about it personally though.

How's about a TRD quick shift kit? Shortens the gear throws.

How about exhaust? Not for sound, but for HP gain.

• badtoybadtoy Member Posts: 343
    for the 1ZZ that is presently installed on my 2000 Corolla (the prototype). It's been in development since last August, and it runs really, really strong. They're getting ready to install the injectors from the 2ZZ next week, to get more fuel at high rpm.

Once the kit is complete, it will go to TRD for evaluation.
  • maryjean1maryjean1 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2001 Solara SE (4cyl) and although I absoloutely love everything about my
    new car I am a little dissapointed in it's pickup (or lack of) on inclines. I babied it during the break in period andI waited for the first 2000 miles not to push the engine. I thought that when I finally gave it all it had that it would not dissapoint me. Unfortunately, I was already getting all it had. Is there anything I can do to my car to give it a little more power?

When I test drove it I did not encounter many steep inclines as I do in my 100 mile
    commute. Unfortunately, I learned a little too late about it's performance. I've discovered that
    if I take the Overdrive "OFF" and turn off the A/C I can actually get up the hill in a day or so(HaHa). No, but seriously, I do love everything else about my car. Inside it has the feel of a Lexus, it has a sporty yet classy exterior and I get the gas mileage of a Hyundai. My only complaint is that I have to anticipate hills in advance and get a running start......I don't think I should have to think about it.

Any suggestions other than trading it back in and losing thousands of dollars?

MJ
  • amazonamazon Member Posts: 293
    My suggestion is to get used to the 4 cylinder. Drive it for awhile while you save up $$$ to trade it in for a V6.
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    Try higher octane gasoline, a less restrictive air filter like K&N, remove any silencer or snorkles on the airbox...
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    What is the web address for TRD anyway?

This may strike some as funny, but I am thinking about doing some modifications to my Echo.
  • ripinrocketripinrocket Member Posts: 157
    I don't think they got anything for your echo.
  • ajacatajacat Member Posts: 63
    We've just bought one, really wanting a Maxima but wanting side air bags and better crash results for our daughter. So we're a family pulled in a couple of directions.

We've decided on the Camry, but does anyone have any thoughts re which of the TRD choices are most functional--our main desires are more hp, better mileage, and better handling (less brake dive, esp). How loud-low-teenage-guyish is that muffler? They advertise that one of its features is a 'low sound'... And I see that both 16 and 17" tires can fit on it--we've got the '98 premium wheels but they're only 15". Would 16 cause a discernible improvement? And would any of the filters improve mileage? Anything else I'm missing?

Oh, one last thing--should we go only w/TRD or are other brands ok? I somehow think I could find things cheaper, but which brands can be trusted?

TIA-and learning all the time
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    They only look cooler and require lower profile tires. The best benefit is wider contact patch or a wider wheel.

Lower profile tires typically show less flex under high speed turns, but that's about it.

Walk up to any vehicle and push it back and forth across it's width. (IE. Push the driver side rear fender towards to the passenger side rear fender.) This will make the vehicle shake, and most of it will be the tire sidewall, some may be a little suspension flex.

So keep the nice looking 15" premium wheels, and just put money into tires.
  • leorphleorph Member Posts: 5
    Anyone actually running the TRD Supercharger for a 2000 Solara v6? Pros/cons and how does it effect the warranty of the vehicle?
  • ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    If your still checking. The TRD supercharger will not void your warranty if the install is performed by a Toyota Dealer. If dealer installed, the supercharger gets absorbed into your vehicle warranty.

In fact, even if you self install there is a 12 month unlimited mile warranty on the parts.

Researching for my Tacoma, in case you were wondering. I would still like to hear from folks thinking about the supercharger and their experiences as well.

John
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    visit this site for more info.
    www.teamsc3.com
    many people on this site have s/c camrys and solaras.

for myself, anyone know if there's any aftermarket parts for toyota sienna? trd or not, let me know.

thanks
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Does anyone know the web site for Toyota genuine parts and accessories for less? What about the aftermarket stuffs?
  • tedplanotedplano Member Posts: 31
    A good site is www.toyota-parts.com
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    Another good one is www.toyotaguys.com for toyota parts and www.jcwhitney.com for aftermarket parts.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Just tried these sites. The price is similar to my local dealers. Are there any more sites that people know? There are lot of sites for Honda but few for Toyota.
  • highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    lok888,

Your local Toyota dealers are offering good prices.

I have been buying from Romania Toyota

(toyotaguys) for the past year. They ship me parts and accessories 3000 miles from Eugene, Oregon to South Jersey at much lower prices than any area dealer. Plus free Shipping on orders over $25.00 and NO TAX.

I have read positive feedback about toyota-parts so they are also excellent to deal with.

If your local dealer can sell you a case of 10 oil filters for $39.50, that is a good price. And once a customer of toyotaguys, they offer an additional 10% off. The filters now cost me $3.56 each. And these are Toyota oil filters made in Japan!

This is the T R D site so it is worth mentioning that Romania sells the TRD oil filter for $26.50 each, a good price for that item.

Link: http://toyotaguys.com/

• dust90dust90 Member Posts: 169
    I had the TRD supercharger installed on my 99 Tacoma V6. Made a world of difference, only problem that it took premium fuel. Gas mileage was actually better on highway(with cruise set so my heavy foot stayed asleep!) Superior Toyota in Parkersburg, WV did the install in about 4 hours. It did add some additional engine noise.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    don't use premium fuel...waste of money.

the ignition system is very inefficient in the lower rev range. A Jacobs Electronics ICE pak will increase the lower rev range ignition efficiency.

www.jacobselectronics.com
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I keep seeing TRD logos on Toyotas around town but don't read much about it on the SUVs boards. Anything new of interest with TRD?

Steve, Host
  • viking644viking644 Member Posts: 23
    I was at my dealership picking up my new car (Avalon) when I heard one of the salespersons talking to another about TRD and the lack of an exhaust system for his Scion. He said that TRD was going under due to poor sales, costs, etc.

Has anyone else heard of this?? :cry:
  • jared850jared850 Member Posts: 3
    Premium gas does make a difference on a supercharged truck, my 98 tacoma is also a supercharged V-6, I tried regular gas an the power I had decreased dramatically, plus it ran funny. If you installed a TRD supercharger mine didn't have an aftermarket intake just the factory. Try a K&N cold air intake it makes a world of difference!!!
  • dodgedodge Member Posts: 25
    Hello,

Is there any peformance upgrades that can be done to the highlander V6, I tested the 0 to 60, with a timmer and clocked it at 8.2.... which is just as fast as a ford escape and explorer and want to at least get it down to 6.5, so when I am a light I can blow past an escape. I live in michigan and go to work in detroit so alot of them like to try and beat me from a light and they come close.

So if there is some one is out there that can help I would love the feedback

David
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Chopping almost two seconds off 0-60 is going to cost you a lot of money. I think if that is your true goal you really need a different car or be willing to spend many thousands of dollars on this one.
  • dodgedodge Member Posts: 25
    Yeah I go the money,

so can you tell me somthing that would do it?

Or can you tell me a different SUV that can be modded? The reson for getting the highlander so fast is because I want to own a sleeper, that no one expects to be fast. ;) :shades:
    Well this particular type of mod is outside my knowledge. You know what I'd do? I'd have a nice long consultation with a respected speed shop in your area. If you lived in the San Fran Bay Area I could direct you. But otherwise, this type of work needs to be carefully planned out and budgeted.

I'd imagine you definitely would have to turbo the car, and being a V-6 that's probably twin turbos. I really don't know if anyone's done that--I'm sure some gearhead has, and I'm sure some really motivated speed shop would help you take it on. Now if you want to be world's deadliest SUV stoplight jockey maybe a supercharger would work better for fitment, as turbo plumbing does tend to get complex. But I think a turbo would still be cheaper by a bit.

My thinking is that you need a LOT more HP and this can't be done with that engine and normal aspiration.
  • helpmytundrahelpmytundra Member Posts: 1
    I want to know if anyone can help me making my 05 tundra faster. 1) does cold air ram intakes really work such as volant???? 2) Should I get an upgraded chip and say forget the factory warranty??? 3) Are throddle body spacers crap??? 4) And why can't I find a supercharger for my 05.. everyone tells my that the 04 s.c. will work on my truck....................HELPPPPPPPP!!!! :cry:
  • bahraini_zuprabahraini_zupra Member Posts: 98
    hey guys i am really seruoisly about this i am 21 years old and i really would love to upgrade my engine to higher powers with SC or turbo kit or somthing TRD should really do something about this if they really made this car for youth and not just old ppl :P

cheers
  • cheppacheppa Member Posts: 2
    I have an almost new snugtop lid for a Tundra access cab I've been storing. Since I'm not getting another truck I want to get rid of it. Any ideas how to sell it on the web or other? I'm in LA/OC area.
    sounds like a job for eBay!
  • hondaconvert1hondaconvert1 Member Posts: 60
    I am glad I traded in my '99 4Runner with TRD SC, as I had replaced the 2nd generation of SC (hitting against underneath the hood) with 3rd or 4th generation SC and still the clicking noise would not go away even with iridium spark plugs... oh boy nooooo more of it!!!
    (needless to say I had to change rotors every 3000-5000 miles... yep).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ - it's free.

Steve, Host
  • sully19sully19 Member Posts: 2
    I have seen a 98 Avalon with a current generation SC retrofitted. I have a 97 Avalon and am looking for large HP gains. Does anyone know about this or how to accomplish it? TRD makes no parts for my car (air filter and brake pads don't count) and all of the Toyota employeesI have spoken with agree with me on the fact that this was supposed to be a pure Lexus style car, with only average performance.
  • msgtrmsgtr Member Posts: 1
    TRD has been dragging their feet and sitting on their thumbs when it comes to the re-release of the Tundra V8 Supercharger. There are hundreds of these kits just sitting on the shelf waiting for a new ECU!
    I wonder if they are going to be liberated before everyone's truck has gone beyond 100,000 miles or to the wrecking yard...?
    Personnaly, I got tired of waiting and finally found my own on e-bay (brand new and in the sealed packages).
    Broken rods? I'm not racing it, I'm towing my RV with it.
    Well towing is hard work for an engine but I can't see broken rods from doing it. Rod damage is usually a high rpm type of problem or oil starvation problem. As long as your engine doesn't ping under load (good cool air charge) and you have a trans cooler (for the automatic), you're probably good to go.
  • 383ply383ply Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered a neww tundra 06.wondering if you got any answers about grtting a supercharger? thanks
    Well I wonder if this supercharger ever came to the dealers or not?

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/autoshows/sema2001/toyota/sctundra.html
  • garyandersgaryanders Member Posts: 39
    Possibly, go the sos performance website, they are apparently partnering with Toyota and have developed two superchargers, one with and without inner cooling.
  • cfowlercfowler Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I have a sticky situation. I just bought a TRD supercharger kit for an '03 Tundra and I own a 2005 Tundra Limited. I realize changes have been made and the ECU will not work. However, do you think that it may be useable one day with my 2005 with an updated ECU? Is the rest of the kit physically compatible? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • twerptwerp Member Posts: 1
    anyone out there, if they could tell me before i purchase, or change my mind about purchasing this item, tell me if it is compatable with the 02 celica gt.

thanks
This discussion has been closed.