Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    bluelightbluelight Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2001 VW Passat (the A4's twin) and also am just now starting to grapple with an unexpected and expensive rack/pinion repair. The car is about 4 yrs old and has 55,000 normal road miles (no off-road, it's no off-roader). I am also wondering if my rack problem is not the tip of a more expensive and hassling iceberg. I'm seriously considering trading my car in though I have loved it -- as you have your A4 -- when it's been running well. Your note has been helpful in letting me know what I may be expecting to "discover" in the future. Thanks for sharing your experience...it puts my car's problems into perspective.
  • Options
    jake13jake13 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,I have a 1998 A4 Quattro (turbo). The biggest problem for me has been the front suspension control arms which apparently were redesigned after 1998. I've had to replace them numerous times over the life of my car and I currently have 220,000km.
  • Options
    Any mechanics out there who can tell me if an overfill of an A4 1.8L Quattro turbo by 3 to 4 litres too much could possibly ruin the camshaft tensioner bearing? I had an oil fill which a quick change place performed (improperly) and they contend that this would not have caused the bearing damage.
  • Options
    I have a '98 A4 1.8L quattro and I've replaced control arms on three occasions-all very costly. And yes, both my side mirrors rusted-driver's side fell off. On the other hand the rest of the car body is in excellent condition with very little rust for a seven year old car.
  • Options
    cicerocicero Member Posts: 51
    I drive a 2002 A41.8TQ. I am looking for tire recommendations for all weather use. Any recommendations? Five will do...thanks. My Xenons have gone down after a bump or rapidly taking turns, what else is the quattro there for? And when I restart they come back up. I took the car in the first time and they could not, of course, duplicate the problem. Anyone else have that experience and what was done about it? Finally, those little (some are little and some are not) wheel scratches you get on the sport wheels...can those be buffed out or is my car starred for life? Thanks, Cicero
  • Options
    audifreak21audifreak21 Member Posts: 15
    Tires: Get Yokohama H4's. They are the best all-season tire I have ever owned in my entire life. You will love them. They have awsome treadwear and performance is pretty good. Go get them. Around $100 a tire.
  • Options
    enochgenochg Member Posts: 1
    Own a 96 A4 Quattro which has been trouble free for a while know. I have these two problems and wondering if someone can bring some light to it.

1. When I stop (standing still) and I turn the wheel either left or right the is a slight vibration in the steering wheel. Once I straighten it out, it goes away. Anyonnw know what this may be?

2. Lately, when I step on the brakes, I get a vibration/knocking noice on the driver side. I can actuall feel it in the pedals. Took it my my mechanic and he checked everything and all looks good. The wiered this about it is that sometimes it disappears entirely. The problem is intermitten. I took it to another mechanic who said it is my rotors and they wanted to charge me $200 + $350 for labor.

Anyone know the time involved in changing a rotor?

Any response or feedback will be very much appreciated.
  • Options
    Thanks audifreak! I just went to Tire Rack on line and read the reviews. Unfortunately, the reviews are not that inspiring especially from the spirited drivers. I actually owned some Yokos when I drove a Jetta VR6 and thought the wear was average. I also located the Pirelli P-Zero-Nero and saw outstanding reviews for those tires so unless someone tells me otherwise I am leaning in that direction. But thanks for getting back.

Does anyone have advice on the Xenons and my other question
  • Options
    cyberpmgcyberpmg Member Posts: 83
    enochg,

For your first problem, it sounds like your power steering fluid level may be low (easy fix and low cost). If not, then you might want to have the power steering pump inspected.

For your second problem, if you're getting a vibration feeling from the brake pedal, then it might be that your front rotors are slightly warped (or worn down). If the rotor thickness looks good, then you might be able to have the rotors turned (cheaper price option). Otherwise, it could require rotor replacement (at the price your mechanic quoted you).

Changing the rotors should only take an hour or two. Turning the rotors would take more time, but less cost in materials.
  • Options
    pedped Member Posts: 18
    Own a 04 1.8 auto quattro A4. Love the car but we all know it needs a bit more power...I hear up to 40hp and 40 lbs of torque can be expected. Any info would be great. I've read up and can't decide which chip is best. Thanks
  • Options
    rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    The general concensus is to go with the tuner that is most convenient in terms of location. Most are now flashed and the removal of the ECU to do the chip is pretty much a thing of the past.

Several are out there GIAC, Revo, APR and others; but these seem to get the most 'press' in the Audi community. From what I can tell each has pros/cons but all folks who have these seem OK with them.

There are also Kits that add hardware as well as software and you can upgrade with these for even more kick - but the $'s go up as well (of course).

You need to know that some dealers are not 'chip friendly' and any modifications can put your Audi warranty at risk if something goes wrong.

JR
  • Options
    pedped Member Posts: 18
    My dealer is chip friendly which is important. As a matter of fact he told me it would cost about 700.00, that's the one you send out. You mentioned something about not having to send the cpu out, I'm interested in that. Do you get the same hp improvement, about 30 40 and torque? I saw a dealer in Monsey NY who recommends the APR chip but I haven't had time to call him.
    Have a great day and thanks for the info.
  • Options
    rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    You should speak to the dealer about the +1 stuff. And it is flashed in the car, no need to remove the ECU from the vehicle as it's done through the OBD port.

Enjoy,

JR
  • Options
    teenrebelsteenrebels Member Posts: 1
    i'm getting this muffled noise coming from the passenger side and the passenger side rear. Could this be that the muffler needs to be replaced?
  • Options
    sam15sam15 Member Posts: 1
    audi has recalled audi a4 for lower control arms.check into it.
  • Options
    premiumdetailpremiumdetail Member Posts: 4
    I just got a recall in the mail this week. They will pay for it or give you your money back. Call the dealership.
  • Options
    loujo02loujo02 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

I've had my CPO 2002 A4 for a couple of weeks now and have a bit of an issue with the climate control system that I wanted to ask here before approaching the dealer:

It seems to me that I get hot air out of the vents most of the time regardless of what temp I set the temp control for other than 'LO'. The air feels hot even set at 64 degrees. It doesn't matter whether the auto switch is set or not also. I live on LI, NY and it has been cold the last few days, could it be that it reads outside air temp and gives me whatever it wants regardless of setting (even in maual mode) or is it just not working right? Anyone else have such a problem or know this to be common?

Joe
  • Options
    rwoodsrwoods Member Posts: 129
    Dear Loujo02,

I too own an 2002 Audi A4 and experience the same thing with my automatic climate control. Whenever the temperate is in the moderate zone, around 50-70 degrees, the A/C blows hot air regardless of what I set the system at. Once the temps get over 70 degrees the A/C will start to cool the car down. After 4-5 visits to various dealers, all who claimed to have fixed the problem I've given up.

Whenever it gets too hot I just turn off the system or I put it on "lo" and crank up the fan to cool the car down. Car and Driver magazine has commented on this problem and suggested that Audi should send someone to Toyota and learn how to make an automatic climate control system. Other than this problem the car has been very good.
  • Options
    jgpjgp Member Posts: 7
    I did some research and it seems that Kumho tires received better ratings than both Michelin and Pirelli in the category of "All Season Touring." Any reason not to buy Kumho tires for my 2002 A4? I live in PA, so I value better winter traction over performance.
  • Options
    Just tell them I changed the oil every 3k with Mobil 1 Synthetic. I know Audi sent me saying that dealerships where using oil that was seezing up engines, because it was turning into sludge. They even had to change there oil filter to much larger of one , because of it. Plus if you had the oil light on and they reset it there the once that neglected the car not you. Show them paper work on that. Call audi 1-800-411-9988. They where awesome to me last week. My o2 sensor went and it miss calibrated my air pump well the ECU never caught it. I got the car back and the check engine came on and I called the dealership and they never called back. I called Audi and told them what happened they had a flat bed here and took it to the dealership. They replaced the ECU, Air pump, air vacs, sensors all for free. no deductible. Even gave me a free oil change for my problems. MY cars Audi certified and those people where awesome. They called to tell me EVERYTHING about the problem. ECU didn't need changed but they did because it would cause problems for me in the future.
  • Options
    Audi has the best certified program in the automotive business by my experience.

They where awesome to me last week. My o2 sensor went and it miss calibrated my air pump well the ECU never caught it. I got the car back and the check engine came on and I called the dealership and they never called back. The car was cold starting do to a valve and herking and jerking. I called Audi and told them what happened they had a flat bed here and took it to the dealership. They replaced the ECU, Air pump, air vacs, sensors all for free. no deductible. Even gave me a free oil change for my problems. They never charge me for my deductible, again, because it wasn't fixed right the first time. The dealership said it wasn't broken the first time I brought it. ECU didn't need changed but they did because it would cause problems for me in the future. Audi called and told me EVERYTHING what was wrong with the car. They told me why & how they fixed it. They took extra steps that no other car manufactur would. I've owned Ford, Chevy's, & MB and they always acted like it was my problem. MB made comments saying, "you race this car?" & "i won't tell". The problem was my transmission failed and locked up after having it for a month. NO I don't race my car. STEREOTYPING!
  • Options
    jebtdijebtdi Member Posts: 5
    Hi, thanks, no, I don't smell any sweetness per se, but maybe a slightly changed smell in the car – then again there's always a changed smell from heating or cooling...
    But would I not be low on coolant at some point (which I never am)?

I understand they checked some lines but the AC evap. drain I don't know, but will definitely get them to do that.
  • Options
    204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    jqp: You must have been researching at Tire rack & 10/10 Tires. Consumer ratings of Kumho 716 H4s are very high and the P6s seem to be loathed w P6 being rated below Kuhmo H4s in every category & many cited sidewall failures. Tire Rack's track tests on Kumhos were also quite complimentary with good balance on handling and comfort.

I have had Kuhmos on our A4 for 3 months & on my 92 Civic Si for 1 month (replaced Dunlop D2-A60s). In both cases the ride improved and road noise decreased. I have not really pushed the tires in any way & have not driven in snow with them. In the Honda, I find that there is a little more of a tendency for the tires to spin briefly when starting on a wet incline.

Over all I am pleased with the Kuhmos and the price was very good. Got tires for A4 at Discount Tire because they were the only store that would take the P6s in on trade -- gave me $30 or $35 per tire on trade (had about 9,500 miles on them). Sears had a much lower price for the Honda, but Discount beat it when I gave them the quote.
  • Options
    nicsternicster Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1998 A4 sedan last year (European diesel model... where I've moved). The issue I have is with the AC. It occurs whenever the outside air temperature is below about 40F. When I try to select the AC, the snow crystal icon disappears as soon as I release the AC push button (the compressor never kick's in). In other words, I can't turn the AC on ! I am not familiar with the electrical system and I would like to know if this could be related to some kind of safety switch or a device external to the control unit ?
  • Options
    RichardPRichardP Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a certified used '04 Avant. Love the car, handling, looks, interior etc...I just filled up for the 5th time and checked the mpg. Again, a very dismal 14.9 mpg! The best I've done is high 15's. I am using premium fuel(92 Octane) and the car has 16,000 miles. I drive mostly in-town (not total city, some highway)and have been accused by the dealer of a heavy foot but still, I was expecting to do much better. Anybody have advice? Similar problems? In this high fuel cost environment we are in I am totally dissapointed. Help.
  • Options
    saintvipersaintviper Member Posts: 177
    You don't mention what engine you have, but I usually get around 25mpg with my 1.8T. Tracking your milage is a good idea because a big drop and often signal something wrong with the car. Bad sensors, dragging brakes and other things. For a 3.0 in city driving that my be normal. Do a road trip and take it easy and see what you get.
  • Options
    RichardPRichardP Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1.8T automatic, just had the 15k service and the Audi dealer found nothing wrong.I am calculating mpg by filling up then dividing miles driven by how many gallons it took. The computer mirrors my findings.I wonder if I use regular instead of premium will that make a difference?
  • Options
    204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    We have been very pleased with the gas mileage of our 04 A4 1.8T w CVT. 13K. It consistently gets 26-31 with mixed driving (40% highway, 60% in town)& gets 33-36 on highway. We drive conservatively, keep tires at 36 psi front & 34 Psi rear, use mid-grade fuel (89 octane).

I suspect the Avant is heavier, but still your mileage seems abnormally low. Cold weather, low tire pressure, driving habits & mechanical problems (seems unlikely with your mileage) are common causes of poor fuel economy.
  • Options
    sim1sim1 Member Posts: 1
    We are starting with the same problem, The oil light came on but we knocked the engine off straight away. The car only had an oil change two weeks ago and has plenty of oil in it. The engine and lifters are tapping, do you think it could be oil pick up pipe or the oil pump?
  • Options
    sk33sk33 Member Posts: 1
    I own a audi a4 avant 1.800 turbo quattro 11/2003 model 30.000km and i have no coil problems so far.

I'm from Greece lots of rain, and i do 530km each weekend, the only problem i had so far is one light bulb
  • Options
    vnewenvnewen Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, could someone help me out with this? So I just bought a 2005 Audi A4, and i like it but a couple things have happened that wierded me out. I've only had the car less than a month with 325 miles on it. Yesterday morning when i got in the car i noticed that my driver side seat was reclined back. I didn't think about it though cause i thought someone might have been in it and adjust the seat. But then today i went to the video store and when i came out the seat was reclined all the way back again. Now I have power seats, but NO memory, so what's the deal here?

Has anyone experienced of heard about this? It's only happened twice, a day apart, but prior it has never happened. And now i can't reproduce it.
  • Options
    rwoodsrwoods Member Posts: 129
    Richard,

My '02 Audi A4 also gets 15-16 mpg around town. On the highway I get 25-26 mpg. It's the cost of driving nice.

Bob
  • Options
    dfcddfcd Member Posts: 2
    We have 1999 At 2.8. WE have experience the same thing. Not sure of the exact temperature. We noticed it because you cannot turn on the recirculate feature without the "snow crystal" on.

We were told that the AC will not go on below a certain temperature to protect "something", sorry I don't remember what. The recirculate being incapacitated is most annoying since we use it to stop the obnoxious exhaust odors from entering the cabin. In cold weather we have to turn the whole system off. Ridiculous. I am curious if this problem still exists on the new 2005 models.
  • Options
    etaubetaub Member Posts: 4
    I know that the owner's manual for the A4 says you cannot use tire chains on the car.

However, the SCC company in Oregon has a page devoted to cars that use low profile tires and have little wheel clearance, and in it they state that certain models of theirs can be used with the A4's sports 235/45-17 tires, which I have. (http://www.scc-chain.com/Pages Traction/Audi Limitations.htm- l#Anchor-3301)

Does anyone have any experience using their model Z555 chains or one of the other sizes they recommend?

I know that Spikes Spider are recommended but I'd prefer to spend $150 rather than $350 for the Spikes, if it's safe to do so. (I only drive up to the snow once or twice a year, so snow tires don't make sense.)
  • Options
    gointoscottgointoscott Member Posts: 3
    I dont know if anyone answered this for you yet, but it is a feature on Audi's. If you have your owners manual it will tell you in there, any time the temperature drops below 40 degree's you wont be able to turn the AC compressor on, which is the snowflake button. My Audi does the same thing. Its nothing to be alarmed about.
  • Options
    Do you know what years the REcall was for dealing with the A4 models? I have a 98 A4 with the 2.8 v6 quattro.
  • Options
    I have a 98 2.8 quattro A4. I notice a bad oil smell when coming to stop signs. I opened the hood and saw steam of some sort coming from the same side of the engine where the dip stick is. I havnt looked at it yet, going to in a little bit, but I'm thinking it has a gasket/seal leak, or hopefully just a oil hose broken. The car runs fine, and all the gauges read normal. Any one else have a problem like this? Is this a common thing for A4's?
  • Options
    digcon442digcon442 Member Posts: 3
    My 2002 Audi A4 is the worst car I have ever owned in terms of problems. I have had the belt break, lights, mulptiple electrical problems that come up weekly, blown fuses etc. I think Audis look nice when you buy them but are cheaper than hondas in terms of quality.

I have a 3.0 and due the heavy weight and quattro the thing is slow. The only saving grace is that the car handles very well. Better than my 330ci.

Other bad things are the qaulity of the buttons that after one year started loosing their paint (this is very cheap manufacturing). The rims suck and the brakes do to. You would have to hire someone to clean them daily from all the break dust they attrack.

Also the whole front end is made out of cheap plastic. I have parked over several curbs only to

have the whole lower front ripped off. How can you spend $40,000 for a car and the front end is made out of household plastic?

I would recommend to anyone buying a Audi or BMW to go test drive Japanese cars. I just got an Infiniti FX45 and love the thing. Selling my A4 for A G35 coupe. I have always bought German cars but not anymore.
  • Options
    a4drivera4driver Member Posts: 11
    Knowing that these forums are always breeding grounds for people with negative experiences I would like to to share my Audi experience. I have owned my A4 for over five years now and in that time have had no major problems. I was worried when the car went out of warranty that it would cost me an arm and a leg, but since that time I have spent very little besides the typical maintenence items such as oil changes (synthetic of course) and plugs, filters etc.

To add to this, my car has been chipped for 70,000 miles and I drive it harder than I should. Never have I had a problem with the engine, turbo, drivetrain or clutch with this added power. Yes the brakes create a lot of dust, but who is really going to choose another car over brake dust. Furthermore, it gives you a reason to wash your car more often, something I've noticed a lot of Audi drivers don't do here in MN.

The paint and bodywork has held up really well and the interior works and operates just like it did when it was new, despite being a little dirtier (my fault because I'm lazy). Audi has had some problems with the front bumpers of cars coming loose when lodged on top of curbs, which was addressed with the LQ recall. Bumpers were never made to be lodged on curbs though, so if pay attention when you park you shouldn't have such a problem.

I am not trying to say that Audis never break, I am just trying to illustrate that there can tend to be a lot of negative bias. I have seen people complaining like crazy in the service department about Audis and how they are never going to buy one again. Its funny because weeks or months down the road you see them in a new Audi. Hmm...
  • Options
    I don't have the same problems you have described and own a 2002 1.8 T Q. I just turned 32,000 on it and with the exception of some minor things have enjoyed the car. Audi's typically do not have the horsepower that the Japanese cars these days but they do offer a qualitatively superior driving experience, especially with quattro. The car handles the twistys extremely well and provides a level of confidence that is unmatched by many cars. Brake dust is what you get with most sports sedans and it will be interesting to see what you say about your G35 because most of the Gs I see have an abundance of brake dust on the wheels. Regular washing is probably the answer even for the Gs. The paint on the Gs seems to be lackluster in most colors that are not silver or gray. As far as the buttons loosing paint etc it sounds like a personal problem related to your ownership behaviors! In fact, your entire post seems odd especially as it relates to your parking/driving style, i.e. "parking over curbs"! The A4 you purchased may be a total lemon but it sounds like your issues are driver-related. Good luck with the Japanese cars but if you are the type of driver you appear to be you will likely have problems and complaints with the Japanese vehicles as well.
  • Options
    jplymanjplyman Member Posts: 90
    It sounds like you may have a problem - I have a 2004 A4 1.8TQ with 6-speed and use prem. fuel (the others take away performance). My gas mileage is great I get 24.5 and I drive a 50/50 mix higway/city. On long trips I get in the mid 30's
  • Options
    audinutaudinut Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 2005 S4 and am starting to hear some knocking noise coming from the left rear sid of the car when I go over bumps. I can't seem to find anything loose in the trunk causing the noise leaving me to believe that it has to be coming from the suspension. Does anyone here have the same problem? Thanks.
  • Options
    balubalu Member Posts: 1
    AUDI A4 SE 1.8 1995

The heater always delivers hot air even when the electronic selector is set to its lowest settings. The engine temperature always reads normal. Without opening the windows, how can I fix this problem?
  • Options
    rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    I recently bought a 2005 Audi A4 1.8. My friend loved it so much so, that we test drove an used A4 today for him. We found it to be a great deal (the person is in desperate need to buy a home). The negotiated price is at $16,000 (private seller). 2002 A4 1.8 Quattro with ESP Control,

5 manual

Silver/Silver Leatherette interior(I know, this sucks!)

Cold Weather package

Sport Suspension package, 17" tires

Xenon Lights

Heated front and back seats

Tinted windows

Bose system (6 front CDs)

56,000 Miles

Cruise

Sunroof (power)

No power seats

Power windows

Security System

Well, my friend would like get this car, but he wants to know if you guys know of any good third party extended warranty companies that are reputable. He does not want to buy this car without some sort of warranty, as he is afraid that something might go wrong with it in the future. And by reading on this post, the 2002 seems to run into some mechanicals problems.

Do you guys advise to get an extended warranty? How much do they cost? and do you know a good company?

Thanks to all in advance
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Stop by the Extended Warranties topic in Smart Shopper.
  • Options
    clee078clee078 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I had the same issue with the odometer LED's not lighting. It still works, and I actually can see the mileage (increment up) when the sun is shining just right and wearing polarized sunglasses. Nonetheless, I was told I had to replace the whole cluster. Was wondering if you had resolved this issue by another means.
  • Options
    s240sx920s240sx920 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 2.8L audi A4 standard with about 115 000 kms not miles on it. Im having issues when i change gears it kinda jolts when reving between 2800 and 3700. Its almost as if u feel the power then it goes limp then there is another jolt........... as soon as u stop accelerating and are just keeping up speed its fine tho. I have no idea where to look for the problem and i was wondering if anyone has come accross this problem or would know what the hell to look for. its been regularily services and the oil is changed every 5000 km i dont know wether it would be a loose sensor or somthing? If u can help me that would be awsome
  • Options
    usherusher Member Posts: 1
    i just got my oil pump done and now that i gota fix my turbo whats up with that.
  • Options
    jontomtomjontomtom Member Posts: 1
    2002 A4 Avant.

Portland, Maine. Last night as I was driving on a quiet side street, I heard a loud pop inside the car. My rear window just spontaneously and completely shattered. It was cold and light snow (no freezing ice) and the rear defogger was on. I was only a few blocks from my house and made it there as the window started to collapse into the car. Local dealer had not heard of this problem. Will have glass in by Tuesday, but seemed skeptical about warranty replacement. Thanks for your post - I'm printing and bringing it to the dealer.
  • Options
    cyberpmgcyberpmg Member Posts: 83
    I've heard of a few 2002 A4 Avants that had the rear window shatter. I think it's a combination of the construction of the glass along with changes in temperature (and possibly barometric pressure). I haven't heard any 2003+ Avants encountering this problem.