Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti SUV Owners: Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your QX4!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays:
5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• jscatenajscatena Member Posts: 61
    Hi!

I'm Jim and I've had my Titanium 2001 QX4 exactly one year now. 20,000 miles and loving it. I run it rough . . .live 1 1/2 miles off the main road on a dirt and gravel road. And I live in northern Michigan so the 4WD came in handy with all of our snow up here. Did manage to bend and destroy one of the wheels so far but otherwise no problems and love it! Got my QX4 last June when jeep had to pay me a settlement on my lemon 1999 Grand Cherokee. What a lucky break for me.

If you have any questions, feel free todrop me an email.

Jim
    [email protected]
  • eds1300eds1300 Member Posts: 71
    Only when I have the sunroof opened can you hear
    the wind noise. Anyone go past 100 mph on the
    01 QX4?
  • pfleegpfleeg Member Posts: 10
    Hi, I'm Steve from Denver, Colorado. I've owned an obsidian black QX4 for one day and absolutely love it. I waited for six months on a list for an MDX and finally gave up and looked at the QX4. I think I'll be glad with the decision.

Does anyone know of an online resource for ordering QX4 accessories?
  • jeepluvjeepluv Member Posts: 37
    Hi, I'm Jay, proud and happy new owner of a new 2001 Titanium QX4! Just got yesterday, so I'm having to take it easy during break-in, but it's an amazing vehicle. Feels rock solid, plenty of power... definitely better than my 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee, although that was a great truck too. I'm also interested in alternative sources for QX4 accessories. Also, does anyone have the cargo liner, cargo mat, or separation bars? If so, do they cover/separate the entire area with 2nd row folded down, or just behind 2nd row? Thanks!
  • pfleegpfleeg Member Posts: 10
    For anyone interested, here's a link to an online resource for parts and accessories. Haven't ordered through them yet, but intend to soon.

http://infinitipartspeople.com/Infiniti/

• jwilberdingjwilberding Member Posts: 25
    My wife actually does most of the driving on our 99.5 black Qx4 with brush guards (front and rear and yes, even though it hasn't done too much 4 wheeling looks tough)

We have had very little problems except for some with the 4 wheel drive system.
  • major7major7 Member Posts: 31
    How do I locate where the in cabin air filter is to remove it and change it? I can order through my dealer but wanted to save some time and 160 miles roundtrip. How difficult is it to remove? Great 4 x 4 and I wowuldn't hesitate to buy or lease another one in the future. Thanks, Bob
  • zlindsey21zlindsey21 Member Posts: 3
    I own a '98 QX4 that I truely enjoy.

Unfortunately I have had several problems with it (antifreeze leaking from head gaskets, leak on exhaust intake, vacuum hose disconnection, midpipe on exhaust system damaged). Most were covered by warranty but I am hoping as I continue to put the miles on this SUV it still stays reliable (currently 62k miles, I am expecting to get 150k ++).

Anyway, the best QX4 accessory website I have found is http://www.infinitiparts.net/. I just ordered some accessories today and I will let you know my satisfaction when they arrive.

For the in-cabin filter, check out this website

http://www.grubbsauto.com/nis/microfilter.html

I just ordered a new ICMF for my '98 QX4 (which did not come with one) from the accessory web site stated above, supposedly it comes with directions for installation.

I would like to take my QX4 off road but I'm not sure (close by) where it is legal to do so! (I live in Chicago). Any suggestions in IL, WI or MI?

Thanks.

• xmerxmer Member Posts: 14
    Hello, I am Wayne from S Carolina.

I have a 2001 QX4, with only 14 K right now. I work at home and the QX4 stayed in my garage all the time.

A few weeks ago, I installed a XM satellite radio in my car and I have since fired my CD changer.

XM satellite radio and Bose system are made for each other. XM delievers over 100 channels of music, news, sports, talk show, lots of them are commericial free. The music content is very rich, the best thing is the quality of the sound. All XM music contents are digital delivered from two huge satelites.

Anyway, just want to share my experience with you QX4 lovers and perhaps some of you are as picky about the quality of music as I am and want to have this new gadget installed in your QX4.

I paid $ 430 for the Pioneer unit, Terk antena and installation at the Circuit City, they did a very neat job, the only thing showing is the control panel.

Oh, by the way, if you are interested, visit their website at www.xmsr.com
  • ronbrannonronbrannon Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a QX4 and the dealer said that there is a high theft incidence of the spare tire. Does anyone know of a device that can be used to prevent this and where can I buy one? Thanks in advance.

Ron Brannon
    [email protected]
  • johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    I'm surprised he said that. The advantage that the QX4 spare tire has over others is the fact that the crank to drop down the tire is only accessible when the tailgate is open. I haven't inspected the clamp/chain from the underside to see if the tire can be removed that way though. Since the tire has a full wheel/rim on it, I could see why people would attempt to steal it.
  • spydrxxspydrxx Member Posts: 3
    I have owned my 2002 Black on Black QX4 for less than a month. The purchase experience with the dealer was a straightforward, professional and courteous experience. It is without a doubt a great Luxury SUV but with muscle. All I can do is rave about my QX4. Previous experience with Nissan products I don't expect anything else.

The difference in customer relations between Infiniti dealers and Nissan dealers is shocking. I think I may be forced to buy from upscale dealers from here on out. I never thought purchasing a car would be a pleasure but it was with My Infiniti Dealer.
  • 3lift3lift Member Posts: 2
    I've owned my black on black QX4 3 months. The color combination is hot! and its a great ride! I went the Canadian purchase route thanks to info I found on Edmunds and help from Jon Lofquist. The Canadian dealership experience was positive, even though the process takes a lot of work. The last piece of the puzzle is changing the speedo from km to miles. I just installed the front bug deflector and sunroof wind deflector, the sunroof deflector really cuts down on the wind noise. Every time I jump in the QX4 I'm reminded what an awesome vehicle it is!
  • radergatorradergator Member Posts: 2
    I just got off the phone with the Infiniti dealer in London, Ont. They told me without a Canadian mailing address or passport they can not sell me a vehicle. The salesman felt a PO Box would be in the gray area, but he would try to make it work. He quoted me a price of $60,817 Canadian for a QX4 4WD, Plat package, intel cruise, and towing package. My math skills aren't great, but that is almost dead-on the US market price. (maybe higher)

Has anyone else been given the Canadian cold shoulder? Are there better/other dealers near Windsor?

Looking forward to finally buying my new QX4.

Rob
  • radergatorradergator Member Posts: 2
    After kicking around the Canadian purchase option. I decided life is way too short and the legal system is way too slow to wait. Purchased a 02 QX4 4WD this afternoon. Local dealer sold it to me at invoice and Infiniti is offering the low interest rates.

I would have loved to exercise my NFTA rights and made a visit up North, but Nissan/Infiniti have decided "Free Trade" isn't all that free for their US dealers. :-( Spilt milk....

My wife and I are tickled to death over the vehicle, jade on sage. It will be a nice change of pace switching between our Aero and the QX4.

Thank you all for your postings. They made the difference in my purchase decision.

I would love to be as helpful for someone trying to make their choice. You can email me at [email protected]

Thank you again,

Rob and Caroline
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    $60k Cdn! Wow! 12k Cdn over list ...
  • ssqx4ssqx4 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my 2002 QX4 and love everything about it except for loud whistling noise coming from sunroof when closed or open. Has anyone experienced this and if so have you tried a wind deflector? The dealer says they are on back order. I wonder if could be a seal?
  • qx4owner1qx4owner1 Member Posts: 12
    I just bought my QX4 1 week ago and I also hear this nasty whistling noise from sunroof. I don't have a wind deflector but I would try anything to get ride of it.
  • rocki1rocki1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 with 12K, and the car is at the dealer now for some serious corrective surgery. They are replacing the rear diffirential to stop a transmission clunk, and replacing the front brake rotors (at 12K?) to stop vibration. They advise me that they cannot do anything about other problems which I consider particularly vexing: Jack rabbit starts, cruise control goes into panic mode (down shifts and engine RPM shoots up) much too often, and the car rolls backward in DR if there is any incline at all. It's as if the transmission is completely disconnected from the engine. Does anyone else have these problems? I would appreciate comments.
  • richardrobertrichardrobert Member Posts: 1
    We get a loud whistling noise from the sunroof/roofrack on our 2002 QX4. Anyone had this problem?
  • slabyszslabysz Member Posts: 1
    I've been tempted to buy a 2001 QX4. But your posting of problems scares me. I know despite the best engineering you can get a lemon. Rember the Hubble Telescope? Just wondering how the vehicle is now.

Pete
  • eandyleeeandylee Member Posts: 28
    Very Happy!

I have twins coming soon, I had to buy a SUV... but I couln't afford those $35K+ luxury SUVs. I also didn't want those non-luxury SUVs, and maybe don't need brand new one with my twins.
    So, first considered 99 RX300 or M320... then learned about revision on 2001 QX4 with 240hp engine and stuff...

There wasn't many 2001 QXs in the market, HOWEVER, I found one with 17k mi 4x4, two tone paint, sunroof, cd changer, heated seat, wooden handle, almost everything... exactly the way I wanted... $27300 + 3% VA tax + 87 VA tag
    (I got ok deal on the trade in(kbb trade in value) that I wanted to get rid of right away)

On the lot, I saw a 2003 one with exactly same options and color with sticker price of $40000. 2001 with 17k is almost new. I know that because I have 2001 BMW 325xi with 15k and it's new. It made me more happy...

I also found out, there's good remaining warranty...

It has minor dent though, about 2-3" dent/scratch on the real bumper. The sales guy said that to get rid of it, I need to replace the whole bumper. Maybe that's one reason I got great deal, but I think it's nothing... I can be careless.
  • playeghplayegh Member Posts: 1
    Hi and merry Xmas
    i just looked and drove 99 QX4 with 57K miles on it and I'm interested in buying it. but when I was testing it I realized a noise from AC compressor,so I showed it to my mechanic and he believes it needs to be replaced with new compressor and accessories (500$ at least). Does any body have same problem with AC system? and it made me worry about the other parts like alternator and etc break down. please advise.
    thank you all.
    Pouyan
    [email protected]
  • rocki1rocki1 Member Posts: 3
    To answer your question, SLABYSZ, No, the problem has not been fixed. Jack rabbit starts is still a problem, and the dealer says (again) he can't fix it (can't imagine why). Trying to ease the vehicle into a tight parking space is a real adventure sometimes. Replacing the rear differential did not even touch the clunk. The car is back now for the same problem, and I hand delivered a TSB that addresses the problem. The service manager tells me he cannot hear the clunk. Why he heard it before and not now is a mystry to me. So nothing was accomplished except I will pay them $179 for 15K check-up. Still would like to hear from you if anyone has experienced this problem.
  • dwongswongdwongswong Member Posts: 62
    Hi All!
    I just posted a message under the Audi A6 postings about deciding between the Audi A6 and the Infiniti QX4. I wrote a long message with the same title, so if anyone has time, could you please read the posting (#45) and help a person in need. Thank you. As always, drive safely.
  • jill215jill215 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Fellow QX-4 owners! We are on our second QX-4 and just love it. Our questions is, is the new QX-56 taking over the QX-4? We thought Infiniti was re-styling the QX-4 for 2004. (thats what we were told at the Chicago auto show this past year) However, we have not seen anything on the QX-4. I have checked out the Infiniti website w/no luck-it always seems to be down or won't load properly Any information would be greatly appreicated.THANKS!
  • nala30nala30 Member Posts: 1
    After terrible experiences with Volkswagon, I have been a loyal Honda owner for years. When we decided to get a SUV, of course we thought of the CRV (Honda Passport is Isuzu, and we HATE the new SUV). However, after seeing that it automatically went into AWD, and seeing that it's really a glorified Civic (smallest car we ever had was an Accord), we looked at the QX4. I know Nissan/Infiniti has a good reputation, but after swearing I wouldn't buy another other than Honda, I'm a bit freaked out!

Glad to read that reviews are pretty high for this car - and is dependable through the years. Wish us luck!
  • techscouttechscout Member Posts: 1
    I have driven lots of SUV'S and after renting the Qx4 for 1 month I decided to get one.

I am a Location Scout/Manager in the Film bizz -Hollywood. I needed a versatile vehicle, SUV with luxury and 4wd with comfort and style. My car is always in the spotlight with celebs and directors, designers, and Teamsters. Many who ride in my car expect I would have a an auto that would accomodate the ego and luxury expected in the Entertainment Industry.
    I loved almost everything about the QX4.
    While filming a Music Video at Symbolic High end Car Showroom in Beverly Hills the owner told me about a special lease rate on the QX4. That day Beverly Hills Infiniti deliverd my 2001 QX4 4WD w/Nav, Video, Tow pkg, Titanium. Everyone was impressed as the car sat next to the most expensive Bently,porsche, MB, Ferrari...
    Now 2003, I have 60k miles and have taken it to every type of road condition and put it to the test. From Dumont Dunes in Death Valley to the back roads of the High Sierras plowing through deep Snow to snad and water of the Beaches in California and even Traversing the Backlots of Universal Studios through earthqakes, floods and an attack by JAWS. At many of these unique and desireable locations I Photographed the QX4, even while doing Car Commercials for other Autos.

Overall its a Great Car, the bad are minor and the ugly is Infinities ability to make a Great product better and marketing was dissapointing. Not to mention that when the BH Dealership closed without warning, well I was left in the dust with no response from Infiniti as to follow-up of dealer promises- must be embarrased!

With all the experience from the Pathfinder, my previous car they dropped the ball.

My lease is comming up soon and already several dealers like ford have approached me to get me in a new product to test as they want the exposure.

i was hoping for a new and improved 2004 QX4 and that seems to not be happening. Oh well!

My pro opinion. - Kenny
  • daqmandaqman Member Posts: 27
    Sounds like the QX4 served you well. I still want to upgrade my 98 for a 03 QX4
  • ignaciocrignaciocr Member Posts: 1
    I need a contact from a dealer in USA, I lived in Costa Rica, and the Nissan Dealer here are having problems with my SUV ( QX4 97), if somebody can make me a contact.

My engine service soon light when on, and the error code of the problem is P1445.

The email of my technique is [email protected]

Thanks.
    Ignacio Valenciano
  • dan10dan10 Member Posts: 5
    I am looking at a 2001 QX4 or Pathfinder LE with leather seats and side airbags.
    I would love to hear members thoughts about the pros and cons of each.
    Since the price is nearly identical, what are the factors that should tip the scale for one or the other ?

Dan
  • chaplainchaplain Member Posts: 16
    My 98 is having 4WD trouble. What were your problems and was it a major fix? Please help me here.
  • jeff192jeff192 Member Posts: 5
    I currently have a 2003 QX4 and had the 2001 QX4 prior to that. While I can't speak to the Pathfinder, I can tell you that the QX4 is the best car I've ever owned. The main differences that I see between the 2 are the cosmetic designs, the service that Infiniti offers versus Nissan, the prestige that comes with driving an Infiniti, and the resale value.

You didn't indicate the mileage of the 2. Infiniti usually carries a longer warranty than Nissan. Another thought is to look up the TMV of each. Since you say they both cost the same, the one with the higher TMV is your best deal.
    I just bought a used QX4 with a navigation system. I read it needs 9 cd's. Where are these CD's located and should they be coming with my used car?
    Thanks Jeff,
    After reading your comment, I decided on buying a QX4.

Now perhaps you will have any experience with the following:
    My QX4 came with a navigation system.
    The dealer only had one CD of my region, and told me that several are needed for the entire US. Should the navigation system come with the entire US ? Where can I get the other regions?

2. How reliable is the navigation system and should I buy an extended warranty for it ?
    Anyone have an approximate how expensive are the repairs?
  • jeff192jeff192 Member Posts: 5
    Can't help you out with the Navigation system, I've never had one.

I would think your dealer could help.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Your advice helped me decide on the infiniti.
  • tintinntintinn Member Posts: 9
    I've been driving Honda accord for years and want to try a SUV. Found one from Carmax, 72K, can switch between 2WD,AWD and 4WD (how do you call it), $17998. Looks and drives pretty well. Is this a good deal?

I heard QX4 is discontinued for 04 or future. Will it mean anything bad as far as the service and maintenance?

Also is QX4 premium-gas only?

Thanks guys.
  • savage25savage25 Member Posts: 3
    Ime just wondering when you said you have a titanium 2001 QX4..Because i also have an 01 Q. How would I know if its a titanium QX4?I bought it Certified pre-owned in infiniti dealer here in arizona. tnx.
  • bgreavesbgreaves Member Posts: 3
    Yes I have, all the way to the speed govenor. It hit at 115mph. It's performance is typical of an SUV, nothing special. I did out accelerate the QX56 though??? Weird!
    Yep...hopping this reply shows up.
    Has anyone changed their front rotors on their '01 and QX4? I need to but was wondering if I had to buy the over priced OEM's from the dealer? There are so many other brands out there, some just as good or better and some very poor. I would really like to know if anyone has any recommendations please. I found some on ebay for $29.00 for the pair of fronts and they are by Bendix, any thoughts?
  • eastridgeeastridge Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 1997 Black QX4 and love it. I think it is the end of a 2 year nightmare. I had a '95 Pathfinder that was stolen and totaled. I bought a 4Runner which was a :lemon: . Now for the first time in ages I don't have that horrible question, "what's going to go wrong this time" running through my head as I turn the key. :D
  • bumbalumbumbalum Member Posts: 1
    I have an infiniti Qx4 1998, and when the engine gets warms it stutters and does not accelerate properly. I had the Mass Air flow sensor changed and the problem still exists. The SES light is ON and error code P0110 shows up on the scanner. Could you tell me what the problem is.
  • eastridgeeastridge Member Posts: 2
    My '97 QX4 "service engine soon" keeps coming on. Most recent trip to the shop will cost around $1,000 dollars for a NOC sensor and no one can guarantee this will solve the problem. The vehicle is displaying no symptoms of problems. Any experience anyone can share? At this point I am tempted to try the "you know you're a red neck when you put duck tape over the light and keep driving." remedy :)
  • northranchnorthranch Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at purchasing a 02 or 03 QX4 and cannot find any information about the towing package. Is the towing package a hitch and elecrical connector? Or does it include any HD engine, transmission mods like transmission cooler, HD radiator, etc
  • bolucaboluca Member Posts: 32
    I have an 03. The towing package is just the hitch and the wiring connector.
  • keithineriekeithinerie Member Posts: 1
    I have had this issue with my 01, I found that driving in Auto instead of 2 wheel drive took care of the issue. No difference on the gas mileage either
  • billhead1billhead1 Member Posts: 1
    I am getting "Error 2" and the CD changer will no longer play CD's. The carousel works properly and the CD platter appears to be operating properly. No mention of the error codes in any of the literature I found. Any recommendations?The entertainment system is the Bose model CA992. :cry:
  • lmarinelmarine Member Posts: 1
    Welcome to the nightmare! Check out this other forum for more information http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/137782.html . I learned a lot here, but I still have not gotten the cd changer fixed.