Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    gary045gary045 Member Posts: 81
    Nah, I don't think all 18 Elantras are loaded. I think the dealer is just proud of them after having a good month selling them in July. They also need a new detail person.

As for the Nissan. They have a longer reliability record than Hyundai. Of course Hyundai has moved up fast, and I'm happy with mine.

I bought a new 1995 Nissan trk for $13,000 11 yrs ago, that's more than the price of the 2006 Sentra today.
    I gave the trk to my daughter as a wedding present in 1997.
    Her husband is still driving it to work daily, and the only problem was the radio giving out, that was replced under warranty.
    He's still getting offers from TX mexicans that want to buy it. :)
  • Options
    nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    we also owned a 95 nissan truck, bought new. they had to replace the engine at 33,000 miles because of a defect in alot of that year trucks.I guess you were lucky. We also owned a 87 maxima bought new that had the transmission replaced two times under warranty. Another defect. we still like nissan and were considering buying a maxima but bought a hyundai instead.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    FYI . . . O'Brien Auto Park in Urbana, IL has at least a dozen 2006 Elantra GLS sedans in stock. Most colors, some sunroofs, etc., but no hatchbacks. They just moved to a new location, and combined their two separate dealerships in the Champaign-Urbana area into one new monster store with multiple buildings. They sell the following: Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, Scion, Mazda, VW, Mitsubishi, and Chrysler at this new facility.

And, they have at least 20 2006 and 2007 Sonatas in stock as well, including several 2006 GLS V6 and 4-cylinder models.

If anyone looking for an Elantra is reasonably near east central IL, you might want to contact them. I know they are dealing on the Elantras and the 2006 Sonatas.

I have no interest (pecuniary) in this, but just thought I would mention it. I bought my 2006 Elantra elsewhere last December (Pugi in Downers Grove, IL) as O'Brien didn't have any stock at the time.
  • Options
    >One of my local dealers is advertising Elantras for a little over $12k. <

I'm not sure I believe that backy. That doesn't sound like a real world price to me.

The TMV best price with NO options, not even floor mats after $1,000 rebate is $13,618.
  • Options
    Your $12K price is $2k below invoice. Good luck buying
    one for that....LOL

2006 Hyundai Elantra
    GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

National Base Price (excludes destination charge)
    MSRP $14,965 Invoice $13,993
  • Options
    LOL w9cw, I like your interesting word,(pecuniary).
    But I don't see any bottom line prices in your post.
  • Options
    scottradzscottradz Member Posts: 9
    My local Hyundai dealer(fairfax Hyundai) has tons of AT GLS's for $12,300.

Tax, Tag, destination, etc... is still around $1200 here for an OTD price of $13,500.

So it seems very believable to me.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    OK, thanks for calling me a liar.

The lowest TMV price in my area, with the $1000 rebate, is $12,798. But you can throw "TMV" out the window when it comes to what is possible with real-world prices. I bought both of my Elantras for well under the "TMV" price. I guess you don't believe that, either.

With all-new '07 Elantras coming soon, consider that dealers that still have a good supply of '06s might offer really good prices on them to get rid of them before those all-new models arrive. It's very possible that HMA is offering dealers some extra incentive cash to clear the way for the '07s.

I expect the advertised price I saw included all rebates, including the $500 loyalty rebate. Invoice on the base GLS is $13,751. Less $1500 in rebates is $12,251. A very doable "teaser" price.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Pecuniary = relating to or involving money.

No, I didn't post any bottom line prices as I didn't talk to a salesperson and ask, since I alreay have a 2006 Elantra.

I did a recount as we stopped by last night to look at the 2007 Sonata . . . they have 22 Elantra GLS sedans (no hatchbacks) in stock. With that number, one would think they would want to move them.

FWIW . . . I paid $13,700 delivered, including IL state sales tax, title, license, and doc fees for a 2006 Elantra GLS sedan automatic last December.
  • Options
    tsgeiseltsgeisel Member Posts: 352
    They're probably starting to expect the 2007s in soon, so doing what they can.

I wanted a hatchback when I got mine, and didn't want to wait for the Fit or the Versa (and kinda glad I didn't), so the Sentra really wasn't even going to be a consideration for me.

As for that advertised price, I'd like to remind folks that Hyundai generally offers a loyalty rebate and a military rebate. It could be that the price reflects both of those.
  • Options
    >OK, thanks for calling me a liar. <

Like they say, if the shoe fits......
    Just kidding, somewhat.
    You are a great defender of the brand, and offer alot of honest info.

I just see Hyundai as having 2 goals. #1 is make a vehicle as good as the leaders Toyota and Honda.
    They're getting close, but not there yet.

#2 raise prices accordingly on all models, which they're doing, even if you don't want to admit it.

The only proof I need is the $2,000 higher prices that my local dealer is asking for now vs two yrs ago.

I'm surprised Hyundai hasn't come out with a truck yet. They have made everything else, SUVs and Vans.
    Even Honda came out with a trk.

Like everyone else they will probably make one on the SUV platform and charge $4K more than an Elantra. sigh
  • Options
    nashesnashes Member Posts: 12
    For the 06 elantra GLS, I've calculated 12200 base + 1000 for the ABS/traction control package + 1200 registration, taxes etc (NY state) for a grand total OTD price $14500?
    Is that true or can I do better?
    How much more for the 07 elantra? (I believe the 07 elantra has abs standard).
    Inputs appreciated.
  • Options
    Like they say, if the shoe fits...... Just kidding, somewhat.

We can really do without your attacks and insults here, Gary.

And trucks have nothing to do with pricig on Elantras.
  • Options
    doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    $10,498 for an Elantra (under $10k with owner loyalty!)

I'm sure that's a loss leader, but still, they can be had for fairly low prices.
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Thanks for the link. I went to the link and noticed the price for both the Elantra and Sonata, well below market price though if it's anything like the local ads when you call or go to the dealership none are available and since the ad was from 20 July I would be shocked if they still had any at those prices.
  • Options
    goldygirlgoldygirl Member Posts: 11
    Hi cjgt
    How are you doing?
    I called the Hyundai dealer where I purchased my car and I spoke to the service manager and he told me that I was eligible for a free oil change.
    I already had a oil change at 3,000 miles done at a local jiffy lube.
    I have 3600 miles on car now but I'll get a free oil change anyway it never hurts.
    This time I took all my cd's out of the car.
    I wasn't going to chance losing them again.
    I asked them how much it would cost to replace the front seatcover where I have a cigarett burn the size of a dime and they said between five hundred and six hundred dollars so I told them to forget about it, I'll have to live with it and get it repaired later.
    I'm not having too much luck finding a auto upholstery shop near me.
    They are all far away and I would have to leave the car for them to work on.
    Goldygirl
  • Options
    cjgtcjgt Member Posts: 28
    Hi Goldygirl,
    I'm doing OK. :) That dealership doesn't sound too great. I think they should repair the seat for free after all the grief they put you through. It's almost as if they don't want to admit losing your CD's. Like I mentioned before your good. I would've put a choke hold on the the guy. :mad: But that's just me.
  • Options
    Hi guys:
    Is $14500 good price (OTD) for 06 elantra GLS with ABS/traction control package and registration, taxes etc (NY state)? Or is there room for more reduction???/
    New owners please respond.
  • Options
    fredvigfredvig Member Posts: 16
    If that's the OTD price for the 5 speed it's a pretty good deal, if it's an AT it's a great deal. I was quoted 13533 for 5 speed with no ABS and was told by seeral dealers to snap that up, so add $1000 for the ABS package. sounds pretty good to me.
  • Options
    The 14500 OTD is for 06 elantra GLS manual.
    The dealer offered 14500 for Elantra GLS automatic + ABS package but not including tax fees etc.
    I am thinking of offering him 14000 for the elantra auto. Hope he takes it!
  • Options
    So, you're looking for 14,000 before TTL? I suppose that's possible since they're getting ready for the 07's and Automatics are much more pletiful than manuals. All they can do is say no.. I approached a dealer in NY (Yonkers) with a quote of 13,500 OTD (GLS manual, no ABS) and he pretty much blew me off. I ended up getting a 5 speed Hatch GT for 14,875 OTD back home in ATL. I'm happy with that. Plus I went for the extended bumper to bumper so I'm covered for 10/100,000 for an extra $870. I plan on keeping this baby for a while

Good luck with yours.
  • Options
    Hi Fredvig:
    Are you saying that $14000 before TTL for GLS auto with ABS package is a good deal? Because I got an impression from this forum that people are getting GLS auto without the ABS and before TTL for $12200 or $12,300. I think this includes the $1000 customer rebate. If this is true, then adding $1035 for ABS package gets us to a $13335 value. That is about 600 less than what I am willing to spend. :)
  • Options
    doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    I paid $13,900 (before TT&L) for an 05 GLS hatch with AT and no other options last October.
  • Options
    $12,200-300 would be really low for an AT Elantra--way under invoice with the $1000 rebate. I have seen local (Twin Cities) advertised prices just above $12k, but those were for the MT and included the $500 loyalty rebate. If you can get an AT for a little over $12k, that's great, but it would be an exceptional deal.

A sales rep at my local dealer told me they should start getting the '07 Elantras in next month, so if that is the case you might find a dealer with lots of '06s in stock ready to deal on them.
  • Options
    Nashes,

I was quoted 12,271 before TTL for a 5 speed GLS (after the 1k rebate) and was told by several dealers that it was a very good deal. Add $800 for AT, and another $1000 for the ABS package and that brings it to just over 14k. So I would say that's a pretty good price (it's about $800 under TMV)
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Local dealer here is advertising all remaining 06 Elantra's at $2,000.00 below invoice which obviously includes the $1,000.00 rebate from Hyundai plus TT&L.
  • Options
    Hi,
    Well the sales managere here is pretty much stuck with the 14500 offer. I guess I made a mistake of walking into the showroom! Atleast I walked out on his offer. I am thinking of using the carbargains services. Anyone have any experience with them? Would you recommed/not recomment?
  • Options
    flackoneflackone Member Posts: 6
    I called a bunch of dealers looking for a 2006 5 speed hatchback elantra GLS. I am not looking for ABS, or any options packages, and the best price I was given was $12,023, which includes a 1k rebate and destination charge, but is before taxes. I don't even think this includes carpets, mud guards or any extras, but it seemed like a good price to me none the less. what do you think?
  • Options
    Sounds like a very good price to me, providing they don't tack on any ridiculous doc fees. Did you ask for an Out The Door price?
  • Options
    you don't happen to work in chicago do you? Do you think I should try to talk him down this low? Has anyone out there paid paid around 11K for this car? Btw, he also quoted me an aditional doc fee of around $60. Is this standard?
  • Options
    They do charge a doc fee of around 60 bucks. They said this was standard, is it not? I didn't ask for an out the door price, but I will, thanks!
  • Options
    $60 is a pretty fair for a doc fee. The sales tax should be the biggest add-on charge.
  • Options
    Where are they selling elantras for 11000?
    flackone, where are you at? I would say that you have a good deal. Do you know what they are asking for the GSL auto sedans>???
    thanks.
  • Options
    lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    It has been over 2 months since anyone posted any new prices for any of the Elantra series. Surely the dealers haven't quit selling them. What kind of prices are you seeing out there?
  • Options
    john_fjohn_f Member Posts: 30
    Well, I purchased a red '07 Elantra GLS yesterday! It is for my teenage son (lucky boy!).

With the preferred option package and floor mats, the msrp was $16,580 (all of the '07 Elantras in the Houston area seem to be configured this way).

I paid $15,899; $17,119 (OTD).

So far, here is my evaluation:
    pros:
    * awesome fit and finish; interior and exterior
    * excellent value for safety and convenience features
    * interior space and ergonomics
    * agile handling
    * styling

cons:
    * engine is buzzy when pushed

gas mileage:
    * good on paper; we'll see

We started out looking at the '07 Accent, which was nice, but once we saw the new Elantra, we were sold. I predict that Hyundai has a winner here (at least I hope so.
  • Options
    hybrid5hybrid5 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the post. Invoice on that according to Edmunds is $15,616, so I don't think you did bad for a brand new model.

I am trying to decide between an 06 and 07 Elantra at the moment. Stylewise I love the 07, but I don't know if I can justify the price difference. The few 07s around here are also loaded with that package, which I really do not want, apart from the AC. Might pay to wait on it.

Congrats to your lucky son!
  • Options
    herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    Well, you're gonna need that package if you want a stereo, too!
  • Options
    I think the base GLS has speakers already installed, so for $200 or less someone could get themselves a very nice aftermarket head unit if they don't want to buy the options package with it.
  • Options
    jacktbjacktb Member Posts: 41
    I also was on the fence between an '06 & '07 Elantra, but found the price differential to be significant. I bought an '06 GLS auto and paid about 13,400 OTD. From these posts it sounds like the '07 OTD price will be at least 3K more.

Dollar-for dollar it seems like the '06 is a good choice. It is at the end of the model run so the "first year" model unknown problems do not apply.
  • Options
    $16.5k is the MSRP for the '07 Elantra GLS AT with Preferred Package. You might be able to get a little off that now, but there's no rebates yet. Realize though that it's not apples to apples--the '07 has standard side curtain airbags (not available on the '06) and ABS, which is a $1150 (?) option on the '06 (because it comes with a moonroof). The '07 also has some other features not on the '06 GLS such as fog lamps and rear center armrest. And more room, with better fuel economy and safety. But the '06 has a more adjustable driver's seat.

The '06 is a good choice if you want a lot of car for the money, and a known quantity.
  • Options
    spmrebelspmrebel Member Posts: 130
    Thats true. The MSRP between an 06 GT with all options (moonroof, ABS/TCS, Auto) and its closest equivalent 07 which would be the Limited (moonroof and sound package) is roughly 3K. Though the 07 is a newer design and to me the interior is much nicer I am not sure it is worth the 3K difference since the content between the 2 is very similar.
  • Options
    kirbybunnykirbybunny Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    I am in the market to buy an Elantra GT hatchback. I was looking at used ones, but found a dealer that has 1 new 06 left. It is an AT, with no extra options (like ABS or sunroof). The invoice according to Edmunds is $15,692, and the dealer is offering a $1000 rebate. Now reading this forum, I see where people have gotten their cars for around $14,000. Would a dealer sell under invoice? Sorry, I'm new at the whole car buying experience. Just looking for some advice on what price to shoot for. ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks! :)
  • Options
    They MIGHT sell it under invoice, but with only one left and a desirable (for most people) AT, and no new Elantra hatchbacks coming anytime soon, this particular dealer may not sell this particular car at under invoice. The only way you'll know for sure is to make them a firm offer, say $14,000 before taxes and fees; tell them (in person) you WILL buy the car TODAY for that price. Then if they say "No" and let you drive away and don't call you back by the next day, you know they won't go that low.
  • Options
    kirbybunnykirbybunny Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I was also looking at a used '05 GT with AT with 13,000 miles, asking price $14,995. But if I can get a good deal on a new one with a full warranty, I'm all for it!
  • Options
    Definitely go for the new one if you can get a good deal, since it will have the full warranty and you know it hasn't been abused.
  • Options
    alexo2alexo2 Member Posts: 2
    Looking at an Elantra 07 GLS, First new car I've ever bought and want to know if I'm getting a good deal or not. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edmunds lists this car at invoice (w/ preferred package (A/C, C/D player, fog lamps, ect) and floor mats for $15,616. The dealer began negotations saying they would sell me the car at invoice, but then showed me an invoice which included a $530 advertising charge, for a total of $16,146. I agreed to this price, went in to seal the deal, where they added on an expected fee to transfer the title and plates ($95) and also a "Dealer Convienence Fee" ($300) which I hadn't seen before. add on taxes of $968 and I had an OTD price of $17,508. Is this a fair price? Or too high?
  • Options
    john_fjohn_f Member Posts: 30
    Please see my post # 1630 (and following 1631) for what looks like the same car. Your dealer is playing around.
  • Options
    acura03gacura03g Member Posts: 76
    The so called "Dealer Convienence Fee" is their pure profit. So basically they're adding $300 to your agreed price. I would ask them to remove the fee or walk out.
  • Options
    fender123fender123 Member Posts: 5
    Im having a hard time deciding between a 07 Elantra and 07 Sonata

I got a Dealer quote for a 07 Elantra auto SE for $17,295 which is not including tax, title, etc.

As for the 07 Sonata auto GLS, i got a dealer quote for $17,200(including the $500 prefered package)

I was wondering which is a better deal and if i could get a better deal on the elantra. Please respond fast, i plan on buying either these two cars within a couple of days, Thank u all!
  • Options
    The quote on the Elantra looks like MSRP unless there's other options on it besides the automatic. So not a good deal at all on the Elantra. But the quote on the Sonata is about $2300 under MSRP, which I expect includes the $500 general rebate.

Given the choice of a Sonata GLS automatic with preferred package for about the same price as an Elantra SE automatic, I'd take the Sonata in a second. It's roomier and has more equipment (e.g. power seat, ESC, traction control) but is just lacking the alloy wheels of the Elantra--you could always add alloys aftermarket to the Sonata if you really want them.