Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• newcargirl5000newcargirl5000 Member Posts: 11
    THank you both for chiming in! I really like hatchbacks, so the Mustang's out-and I know Mustangs are fun to drive--my ex used to have one.

Re: the Golf--this was my first choice initially--everyone I know who's driven one says they walk away with a smile on their face. It's just a fun solid drive. The only thing that made me even think about a different car was the repair/maintenance costs on the Golf. I've heard from 2 mechanics and a friend who said the parts AND labor are typically waaaayyy more pricey than they are for Subarus--both mechanics advised me to go with the Subaru.

I take really good care of cars, but learned the hard way with my old one that even if you keep up with maintenance and garage a car, age can creep up--especially if you don't drive it all the time (which I don't--it's better to drive a car on a regular basis vs once a week--or less in winter.) So I'm concerned about having to spend a bundle down the line (I live in NYC so everything here is really expensive to begin with!)

I sat in my neighbor's Outback and thought the seats felt cheap and I know that's an issue with the Impreza and just like you said, I have heard the Golf feels like a real premium ride on the inside.

BTW, I don't drive a stick so automatics are my only option.

If anyone here has experience to the contrary re: maintainence/repair for the Golf, I'd love to hear it cause that will definitely impact on my decision.

Thanks again!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Normally I'd agree, get a manual with either car, but after driving the 5-speed and CVT on the Impreza, I know I would not be happy with the 5-speed. I found it to be considerably noisier than the CVT, higher revving, and that will translate to lower mpg. They seemed like two different cars. The CVT seemed more refined, the 5-speed like an econobox. This is one reason the Impreza is relatively low on my shopping list for next year, vs. cars with sweet manual trannies e.g. Golf and Mazda3.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Mazda 3 20/28 (23 combined) 150 HP/134 Torque

Uhh, you are aware that the Mazda3 gets 155 HP and 148 Torque? And is rated at 27/39 (31 combined) with a (really nice shifting) 6 speed manual? Unless you're talking about the outdated MZR engine that is only available on the stripper sedan now, and no one actually buys anyway? Oh, and is going to be a lot more fun than most Mustangs if you prioritize handling over horsepower? :shades:
    Have you test-driven a Mazda3 SkyaActiv hatch? Sorry I lost track of some of the thread, don't know if you mentioned this or not. As I mentioned above, great fuel economy, it also has a very nice 6 speed automatic with an actual manual mode, where the tranny doesn't do anything unless you tell it to do so.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    The handling package on the Mustang transforms the car into close to a CTS competitor.

But truthfully, if you DO get a Golf/GTI, you're missing out on possibly one of the best cars *to* learn manual on. The automatic makes the car frankly feel like a basic econobox with slightly better handling - it just kills the feel and direct connection to the road that you get in a VW. And VW's automatics aren't exactly known for their reliability. Their manuals are fine, though. And a LOT cheaper to fix if they do break. ( 6-800 vs 3-4K)

A Impreza, though, is terrible with the CVT. Just simply appalling.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-subaru-impreza-20-cvt-hatchback-test-re- views
    "Trading performance for EPA-rated efficiency"

Absolutely get the manual. Subarus with manuals are also fantastic. Well, the 2012 was. Don't touch the 2013, which is 9 seconds 0-60 with the CVT - and that's dropping it into drive with the engine at redline. Expect 12 with a normal mash the pedal from a stop and letting it do what it wants.
    You did catch the part where newcargirl said she doesn't drive a stick and automatics are the only option, right?
  • mr_gonemr_gone Member Posts: 50
    As my kids would say--awkward.
    edited August 2012
    She can learn manual in a couple of hours (any old car or truck will do). It amazes me how people wanting sports and performance on a budget are unwilling to actually learn how to drive a manual these days. It's just criminal to take cars like these, which keep getting heavier and heavier, and that have small engines, and then hamstringing them even further with a CVT or automatic.

Quite honestly, the CVT in the new de-powered Impreza feels like driving a 1990s Volvo 240. It has this spongy "I'll get to it when I want to" feel in the drive-train. Handling is great, but it's slow and lacks the power to actually push the limits given its bulk. As a result, it trundles down the road and you feel that excitement is always just out of reach. 148HP and ~2900lbs. That's worse than a early 90s Buick in terms of power to weight ratio. We're actually going backwards as of late in order to make MPG freaks happy.

Now, the Mazda is quite a nice car, but with the automatic, it might as well be a Corolla or Civic. A basic box and not much else. Not that there's anything wrong with that, if that sort of vanilla experience is what you are looking for. FYI, if I was to buy a basic commuter box like that, Mazda does, IMO, make a better "Civic" than Honda does.

To get the same sporty experience that you typically get with a manual in a small car, you need to typically get a 6 cylinder engine with the automatic. But that adds a lot of cost and weight, and very few small cars have larger engines in them these days aside from maybe a used BMW. If anything, there's a move towards smaller engines as of late.
    Now, the Mazda is quite a nice car, but with the automatic, it might as well be a Corolla or Civic. A basic box and not much else.

Spoken like someone who has never driven a Mazda3 with an automatic transmission. They're a ton of fun.

She can learn manual in a couple of hours (any old car or truck will do). It amazes me how people wanting sports and performance on a budget are unwilling to actually learn how to drive a manual these days.

You don't know her or her situation, whatever reason she has for wanting the car to be an automatic is valid for her and therefore valid. I'm guessing you would take exception to someone suggesting a string of slushboxes to you when you state you desire a manual car, am I right? I know I'm right. :shades:

Anyway, back to topic, of the automatic equipped hatch options out there, the Mazda3 should be at the top of the list. The Ford Focus is also worth a look, got a lot more techie-stuff in it than the Mazda, in exchange for slightly lower FE, and a less sporty "automatic" option (it's actually a DCT, but in manual mode it still retains a mind of it's own, unlike the Mazda automatic transmission).

One could also check out the Kia Soul or Hyundai Elantra GT, but I don't particularly care for either one, on a scale from Buick to BMW they definitely lean Buick. The Veloster Turbo might be worth a look, lots of power, 6 speed automatic, fairly decent FE for the power, but the automatic retains a mind of its own in manual mode, and I hear the steering and suspension are a bit lifeless.
    The Mazda 3 is.. well, let's just say it is nothing in the world like the RX8 was. It's a very *nice* car, but it's honestly a box to get around in. Nothing more. The automatic is just there (neither good or bad), much like now it is in a Honda, a Chevy, or any other number of basic cars.

But having a manual does without a doubt make for a better experience in mountain roads and zipping in and out of traffic. Absolutely no question about it. And they are much less money to fix.

I personally don't like most automatics, but some cars like a Cadillac CTS and the G37 (as examples) drive just fine with them. But certainly nothing with less than about 200lb-ft of torque. With cars approaching 3500lbs as a "normal" weight, and virtually nothing aside from a Yaris that's under 2900-3000, there's just too much dead weight to move around for a small engine to be enjoyable or remotely approach anything that would be considered fun or sporty. It's like we're in 1983 again with cars that are just simply too heavy for their engines.

IMO, the magic car for her might be a 2011 RX8. Driving it in manu-matic mode with the paddles actually is quite fun. The car is quick and handles great. In fact, it's within a couple of percent in testing versus a base Porsche Boxster. (0.1 second 0-60, a fraction of a mph in the slalom, and so on). It's about the least expensive sports car out there that I know of.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking to talk with anyone in the market right now for a new midsize car. If you fit this description and you’d like to talk with the reporter, please reach out to PR@edmunds.com with your preferred daytime contact info by the end of the day Friday, August 17, 2012.
    And you did catch the part where the vehicle had to be a hatchback, right? :shades:

I'm not going to fight the manual/automatic war here. You love manuals, fine, whatever, glad you enojoy them. That's not the point. The poster wants a fun-to-drive automatic. Get over it. :)

My recommendations stand. Mazda3 SkyActiv, Ford Focus. I suppose the Impreza CAN be fun if you push it hard and use the shift paddles, but it's a bit blah otherwise, Subaru is slowly being Toyotafied. Maybe not so slowly. Might want to give the Veloster Turbo a look, but the Mazda3 and Ford Focus are the two best options right now.
    Well, I don't know what to say, then, as there are simply no decent and affordable hatchbacks that make their way to the U.S. as of late. I can think of the BMW 1 and the Mini and the WRX, but those are absurdly expensive.

It's not that I like manuals so much as it's that a 3000+lb car with a engine that is putting out 140-160lb-ft of torque on a good day is simply going to have its soul sucked dry by adding an automatic to the already tenuous mix.
    Thanks, all. I'll definitely give the Mazda 3 another look--actually saw one in the street yesterday and questioned the driver who said it handled REALLY well, but the visibility was a bit dicey from the sides--he said there were blind spots... I can, at least, rent a Mazda 3 and give it a whirl--an idea I like way better than doing a test drive. When you rent, you can take the car on highways, hills, etc and spend some time getting a real feel for the drive. BTW, visibility is also an issue for me so not so crazy about the Veloster which has a tiny back window...

Thanks again.
    "Fun" is much MUCH more than mere horsepower. Fun is steering, and chassis, and suspension tuning. Horsepower is for people who frankly don't know how to drive and need to cover said deficiency. ;)
    Well, I don't know what to say, then, as there are simply no decent and affordable hatchbacks that make their way to the U.S. as of late. I can think of the BMW 1 and the Mini and the WRX, but those are absurdly expensive.

It's not that I like manuals so much as it's that a 3000+lb car with a engine that is putting out 140-160lb-ft of torque on a good day is simply going to have its soul sucked dry by adding an automatic to the already tenuous mix.

I'm sure you mean well, but your comments are a reflection of what you like and what you would buy to meet your needs -- they're not helpful advice for the OP. No "decent and affordable hatchbacks" other than the BMW 1, Mini and WRX? That's a pretty extreme position to take, considering all the favorable reviews for the Honda Fit, Mazda 2 and 3, Ford Focus and Fiesta, Chevrolet Sonic, and Dodge Dart (mixed reviews, admittedly, for this last one.) You love 6 cylinders and manuals? Fine. But only advocating for cars that have those combinations rather than what the person seeking advice established as her priorities is like saying to someone looking for a nice suit, "I really like my Levi's 501s paired with a Woolrich plaid shirt."
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    don't forget the Nissan Versa hatchback. There's only a million of them on the road, and a new version is coming out in the next month or so. It is down to the Fit or Versa for me. Great room and visibility in both. The Fit is apparantly fun to drive, and I found the Versa's drive excellent, especially with the CVT.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you can't think of any recommendations that fit the member's desires and price range, then the best thing to do is remain silent. It's somewhat insulting to tell a shopper that the vehicles they're considering aren't "decent," and that they basically have to exceed the budget that they have available or have consciously decided to spend on a vehicle, in order to get a vehicle that meets YOUR desires, not theirs.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

THanks all! I wasn't insulted by it, btw. It just wasn't very useful info.

Re: the Versa. I actually rented one a couple of weeks ago and LOVED LOVED LOVED the steering (and visibility.) What I didn't like was, the power. It felt like it was really *pushing* just to go up small inclines. But aside from that, it was a pleasure to drive. Truthfully, if I can find a car that has that type of steering and visibility with a bit more power, I'm good (aside from safety, etc.) I'm interested to see how they update the Versa. And not for nothing, a good friend owns one (just bought it a year ago) and she and her hubby love it.
    Nissans are pretty nice, I just can't forgive them for not making a Sentra hatch. :shades:

You know, I don't know if premium gasoline turns you off, but the Juke might be worth checking out also. AWD, turbo engine, it's on the heavy side for such a small vehicle but it's very peppy and can be lots of fun, particularly when using the manual shift mode to keep the engine on boil. And AWD gives tons of grip (they never send us non-AWD versions up here in the Northeast).

Hey, if you'll be at a Nissan dealer anyway, worth looking, right?
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for that update on your impressions on the Versa hatchback. For a hard plastic, assembled in Mexico (with no Renault parts to my knowledge) economy car, I was amazed at the ride. The steering, brakes and visibility are all A+ I also like the fact that one can find an SL with the premium package that will put the phone buttons on the steering wheel, all without breaking the bank. When I checked out the engine, I did not quite reconcile how I would take the oil filter out. My hands could just get around the filter from the top of the engine. If from the bottom, I believe I would have to remove the plastic apron to get access. If so, that would be a bummer.
    The problem is that the person in question wants something new, a hatchback, automatic, and inexpensive. That also is sporty and handles well.

That segment exists in the U.K. ("hot hatch") but is just not available in the U.S. currently. If she is willing to entertain sedans, then it's a whole other ball game. I've personally never bought a car new - I always get it a few years old and let the original owner eat the depreciation. I also get a car that is a couple of steps up from the same price econobox, with more features, more safety, and an overall better driving experience. 15-20K buys you a very very nice used or CPO car these days.

Note - there IS a used car that would be perfect for her in every way. Go check out a Lexus IS300 Sport Cross. It's as close to a Japanese version of a late 90s BMW or Mercedes wagon as you'll ever find. They made these from 2001- 2005 and it's fantastic. And reliable. I personally consider it to be more of a hatchback than a wagon, since it's really just the sedan with a somewhat squared off rear end.

It reminded me (the IS300 as well), of driving a E36. Very solid, very sporty, and very "European" in how it felt like an extension of your body. The model that came after it lost all of that sport sedan magic, somehow. It felt like a Toyota again (and still does)

You should be able to get a low mileage one owner example for 12-15K.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Re: the Versa. I actually rented one a couple of weeks ago and LOVED LOVED LOVED the steering (and visibility.) What I didn't like was, the power. It felt like it was really *pushing* just to go up small inclines.

The Versa hatch comes with two different auto trannies depending on the trim level. The base 4 speed auto is a dog, and that's the one most rental companies carry. The uplevel SL comes with the CVT; it definitely has more pick up. Whether you like the CVT is entirely subjective, but its worth a look.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

How can ANY used car be "perfect in every way" when someone is looking for a NEW car?!

Re no inexpensive hatches available with automatics that are sporty and handle well... a lot of this is subjective, but with the average price of a new car in the USA about $31,000, a new car for around $20k could be considered "inexpensive". And if so, I think there's at least 3 if not 4-5 cars that qualify, ranked in my personal order based on "sportiness":

1) Mazda3
    2) Golf
    3) Focus
    4) Elantra GT
    5) Impreza

I intentionally didn't add the Veloster because it appears the OP is looking for a 4-door hatch.

"Sporty" doesn't necessarily mean fast. None of these cars is particularly fast/quick, especially with an automatic. But they can be fun to drive, especially the top 3. The automatic will sap some fun-to-drive out of all of them, but it's a firm requirement here so that's the way it is.
    Backy, we live in a culture where for some "sporty" is equated to big nasty V8s that go in a straight line really fast, and occasionally make a very wide left turn. There's just no reasoning with such people. :shades:

I heartily agree on your first three choices, though I'd specify the Golf TDI and skip the base model. I do have to take slight exception to that Elantra GT you've got up there, that's REALLY a stretch for me. it's a reasonably comfortable cruiser but didn't feel tossable to me at all. Hyundai's aiming more for the Toyota crowd than the Ford crowd there.
    You noticed I said 3, "maybe" 4-5?

The Elantra GT is "sporty" to me. It looks sporty just standing still. With the steering feel (adjustable) dialed up all the way, it feels secure on the road. As great as the Mazda3? No. But we're talking slushboxes here, folks, meaning I think utility/comfort win out over sheer sportiness. And the Elantra GT beats the Mazda3 hands-down on utility & comfort.

If the Elantra GT isn't sporty to you, I can't see how the Impreza would be sporty, especially the 2.0L CVT variant we are discussing here. Very nice hatch, but not all that sporty in my book.
    Well, with the Impreza, the low mounted engine and the AWD give it tossability, even with a relatively soft suspension and a *shudder* CVT. It's underpowered though, and the steering is overboosted (then again, so is everyone not named Mazda, heh). Probably a matter of opinion, but I'd put the Impreza just above the Elantra GT on the sportiness scale. Not by much, mind you, but I would.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Re: Versa...

My daughter has an 09 SL hatchback, CVT, bought new, closing in on 70k miles.

You can read my posts about it on the Nissan Versa section.

Great on gas, and most would probably say it has excellent pickup for the size engine.

She had a bearing noise issue in the transmission, but it never stranded her, and Nissan did a total transmission replacement at 49k miles. Zero costs to her. No issues since.

My biggest complaint is that the door panels are poorly upholstered and the adhesive covering the armrests has "released". That shouldn't have happened in a 3-5 year old car that has been maintained well. No other interior issues. Comfortable front seats...

No, it doesn't have he ride or power of many other nicer cars, but then again, it doesn't have the associated costs, either.

If I was in the market, I would probably wait a bit for the new, revamped hatch to hit the markets.
  • shadowelite86shadowelite86 Member Posts: 4
    I currently own a 2003 Mazda Protege with 153k miles. I've replaced just about everything in it except the engine, but to it's defense it was a former rental car that my parents bought from Enterprise. It also has quite a bit of cosmetic damage from having been hit twice. I think it's just about time for a new car, one of my choosing finally. I'm looking for a sedan (for when I have kids), fairly roomy, reliable, and at least 32mpg since my Protege gets 28mpg. Here are the cars that I've researched and like in terms of looks. These cars are also in my price range ($14k or below):

Nissan Sentra
    Mercury Milan
    Toyota Corolla (2010-2011)
    Mazda3 (2008-2009)
    Chevrolet Impala (2008-2010)
    Chevrolet Malibu (2008-2009)
    Hyundai Elantra (2010)
    Suzuki SX4 (2008)
    Kia Rio (2010)
    Saturn Aura
    VW Jetta
    Honda Civic

I'm looking for opinions on these cars, but I'm open to suggestions as well.
    Well, I would very much recommend a used Hyundai Elantra Touring. The room in my wagon is fantastic. We get 27 mpg in/around town and certainly more on the highway. Great car, great warranty, great brakes, visibility, storage, ameneties and again, passenger comfort.
    Unfortunately I'm not a fan of their look or any touring model for that matter, even though they're usually recommended over the regular sedan or coupe models. A dealer near me has a 2010 Elantra Sedan for $12,948 with 21,858 miles. This sounds like a fairly good deal and I would assume it's nearly just as just as good as the touring.

I'm going to start test driving some cars tomorrow. The first 2 will be the Mazda3 (Dealer 1 - 2008 $12,990/ 53,293 miles, Dealer 2 - 2009 $12,911/ 30,916 miles) and 2008 Chevy Impala ($12,790/ 58,798 miles). After that will be the 2010 Elantra and 2008 Suzuki SX4 ($12,301/ 27,228 miles).
    edited August 2012
    You need to narrow down your list some more, you are all over the map from subcompacts to full-sized cars. Consider your requirements--what is most important to you? Interior room? Fuel economy? Smooth ride? Safety? Handling? Reliability?

Some thoughts on each:

Nissan Sentra - I have a 2010 2.0S CVT and it's a nice little car: roomy for its size, smooth ride for a small car, can average over 30 mpg around town and upper 30s highway with a light foot, and has been perfect reliability-wise. Downsides are it lacks steering feel and is not very responsive with the CVT. But a good choice in a smaller car for a family--just not very exciting.

Mercury Milan - I think this could be a good choice for you with the I4 as it's pretty economical, roomy, good crash safety,and has a nice blend of ride and handling. And they're reliable. Any reason you are not also looking at its sister car, the Fusion?

Toyota Corolla (2010-2011) - Reliable and good FE. That's it. I think there's much better choices in this price range. Not very roomy.

Mazda3 (2008-2009) - A blast to drive but not very roomy. Get the 2.0L if you get this car, the 2.5L is peppier but worse FE.

Chevrolet Impala (2008-2010) - A boat. If you like land yachts, this is the one for you. Can get low 30s on the highway but you won't get anywhere near 30 in overall driving.

Chevrolet Malibu (2008-2009) - I'd go with the Milan/Fusion in this class.

Hyundai Elantra (2010) - A decent little car, very roomy for its size, reliable, but an outdated design. If you get this one, try to get the SE as it has ESC (GLS doesn't) and a little better handling with the larger rims. You can probably find one with a lot of factory 5-year warranty left, which is a plus. Also if you get one be sure to get one made Dec. 2009 or later as those cars got crash-safety improvements.

Suzuki SX4 (2008) - Not a bad little car and has AWD, but how many Suzuki dealers are near you? I'd worry about whether Suzuki will be selling cars here in the future.

Kia Rio (2010) - Probably the worst car on your list. Cramped (subcompact) and poor crash safety. No ESC available (I think the 2010s had ABS at least). I'd steer clear of this one if I were you. Actually, you can find a 2012 Rio starting around $14k and those are much nicer cars, if basic.

Saturn Aura - Not a bad car, but I much prefer the Milan (or Fusion) in this class.

VW Jetta - Go for 2010 or earlier as the newer Jettas took a step back. Try to get a VW Certified car with factory warranty. Reliability is improved from the past, and they ride and drive very nicely. Also roomy for a small car.
    You might also check out the Rabbit/Golf 4-doors, they're much more versatile than the Jetta.

Honda Civic - Not all that roomy but fun to drive and good FE, good safety also, and will be reliable. Problem is, you'll pay a premium for the Honda reputation. Can probably get more car for your money with some of the others e.g. Milan or Jetta.
    Have to disagree with the last paragraph, Backy. The Civic is all you say it is except safe. Dig a little deeper and you'll find that they're pretty lousy in side protection.

But in this price range, Honda did make a car that suits the requirements: the 2006-07 Accord. I did a lot of driving of used Accords vs Fusions of this vintage -- i.e., 7th-generation Accord, first-generation Fusion. I wanted to buy the Fusion because I'd always like to support an American company if possible and I thought its resale value would be lower than the Accord.

But a 2007-9 Fusion with a four cylinder just feels tired and sounds tired at 70,000 miles or so. In contrast, the Accords almost always feel great at well over 100,000 if they've been maintained. The Ford interiors weren't as nice as the Accords when they were new, but they're much worse with age. The plastics have that look, feel and smell of material that can't sustain years of exposure to sun and temperature extremes. Not so with the Accord. Engine and suspensions also show more of a decline, in my estimation.

On top of all that, the Fusions weren't priced any better than the Accords that I found available. This was about a year ago -- things may have changed.

DON'T consider the 2008 Accord, though. That was maybe the worst year ever for that car in terms of reliability. Economy is better, too, with the 2006-07 (the 7th generation ran from 2003-07, but they only made side curtains standard on 2005-2007. 06-07 has slightly improved power and other tweaks.)
    "pretty lousy in side protection"? How do you figure that? The last-gen Civics e.g. 2010 scored Good (highest score) on the IIHS side crash tests, and also scored highly on the NHTSA tests (4 stars driver, 5 stars passenger). Seems like much better than "lousy" to me!

The 2007 Accord would be a good choice, I agree, especially with the stick. Problem would be finding one with low miles. And it wasn't one of the cars the OP listed. If we start listing everyone's favorite (I see a Lexus IS and/or Toyota pickup and/or Buick in the future of this discussion ;) ), it will make it a really long list!
    I heard that the Fusion has transmission problems, although I heard that about the 2010 Elantra as well. I love the current model Fusions though, just don't really trust Ford for reliability.

I want fuel economy and reliability mainly. My current car has been a money pit.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I would really check out the Corolla. They've been around a long time, are super reliable, get great gas mileage, and are generally pretty cheap to buy and repair. Like most of the cars on your list, they're basic, funcitonal compact cars. Mazda 3 is more fun but not as reliable as a used car.

Used Civics are fine but really shake you up if you have to take a long trip. For some reason I found the Corollas smoother (others may feel differently, that is pretty subjective).
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited August 2012
    I'll add my 2 cents, but first, a couple if questions for you?

Is a warranty important to you? Will you, or a friend/indie shop be doing your service work?

If a warranty is important, then a new car with fewer options might be the way to go.

Now, my experience with some of the cars on your "short" list...

My daughter had a 2006 Corolla, used it to commute 50 miles round-trip to college daily. Excellent gas mileage, and truly the easiest car I have ever serviced (oil/filter changes, etc). Great reliability, but basic transportation. Will run forever with basic care. Beware, the latest generation changed to electric power steering, and many have disliked the new steering enormously!

A friend bought a 2009 Sentra, loaded with all options. Second only to the Corolla regarding general maintenance (I do it for him). Great mpg, and overall nice car. It appears to be slightly larger than the Corolla, but not by much...no problems after 40K miles.

Never owned a Suzuki, one reason being their dealerships in my area (SC upstate) don't stay open very long.

Personally, I would avoid any domestic product Pre-bailout. The construction quality in the last couple of years has improved dramatically. Others may disagree, some strongly, but the quality surveys over the last few years pretty much agree with my analysis. Of course, as usual, there are exceptions...decide accordingly.

Civic is a great and reliable car, but I agree with others that is a bumpy ride.

Again, others may disagree, but German autos (I have 3 currently, 2 bmws 1 Mini and had a New Beetle 2002-2009) are generally a bit more expensive, when it comes to parts/repairs. Some owners have outstanding luck, others get to know all the VW shop personnel on a first name basis...

I have zero experience with the others on your list, with one exception... Mazda. I had a base model Mazda pickup around 20 years ago, and it was reliable... No problems, but there wasn't much on it to break to begin with...

That's my take... Good luck!
    edited August 2012
    The Fusion and Milan share powertrains.

If you mainly want fuel economy and reliability, then the Corolla could be a good fit for you... BUT be sure you take it for a long drive and are OK with the steering and interior room. There's a lot of Corollas in fleets e.g. Hertz, so it would be easy to rent one for a day or two to get a real good idea how you like it. Some of the other cars e.g. Sentra are readily available as rentals also.
    I just got back from test driving a 2008 Impala and Malibu while just looking at the Mazda3. The Impala had some pick-up/power, honestly I didn't quite like the extra kick behind the acceleration.....maybe I'm just not used to it. The interior was nice with leather heated seats. The car does control sort of boat like though, not as much as my girlfriends 2001 Impala. It's off my list, it just didn't do it for me.

I then took the Malibu on the road. I could tell instantly that it was a much better car. It was quite, drove incredibly smooth, and the steering (electric) was nice and tight. The interior was also MUCH nicer than the Impala, odd considering it's supposed to be a step down. It's $1,000 over my price range though, but I loved it.

Then I looked at the Mazda3. I didn't even bother taking it for a ride because this particular one was not well kept. You could tell that the original owner was a smoker. The interior had several imperfections as well. The seats were fairly uncomfortable and the back seat is cramped. I started the car and it just didn't feel or sound right. I do still want to test drive a nicer kept one, so hopefully the 2009 on my list is better.

The only Corolla I would be happy with would be the 2011 model (if I haven't said that before...I forget). The 2010 is ok, but only with a spoiler. I'd get a lot of reliability out of it and great mpg, but it would prob be kind of boring. I need to find a Milan, but they're not as common. That or I'm over looking them since they may not be in my price range. I did come across some Fusions in my range, but they're probably the first make model that I don't care for. I also heard that they weren't great cars when the first came out, it wasn't until their redesign that won it awards apparently.
    The 2006 Honda Civic sedan received a three-star rating for side protection for the front passenger. The 2006-11 coupe's side protection for the driver was rated "marginal" for torso protection and "average" for pelvis/leg protection.

I agree that we shouldn't start mentioning cars we like that have no relation to the poster's needs or stated preferences, but when he's looking at Milans, Impalas, 3s, and Corollas, clearly the 2006-07 Accord is within the range of consideration. In terms of mileage, I don't think it's essential to find one with low mileage because they hold up well, as I discussed. I also know there are many, many of them available of low and not-so-low mileage in his $14,000 and under price range.
    The OP is looking for a sedan and for something newer than 2006, so I don't see how crash ratings on the 2006 Civic sedan or the Civic coupe apply here.
    edited August 2012
    The best cars to buy used for low money are big, depreciating old people's cars.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listin- - gId=90459030
    Here is a Buick Lacrosse CXS. This would actually be my #1 pick for the OP, because it's basically a fancy Malibu, but with the suspension and engine out of a first generation Cadillac CTS (just this CXS trim model). The engine's been tuned for low-end torque, though, so it pulls like a diesel through all of its gears. (peak torque is about 500rpm off of idle!)

Leather, sunroof, traction control, safety features, and on and on - the thing's loaded. But because it's a *Buick*, it suffers from old-people-itis and depreciates rather quickly.

(note - the other trims have no such engine or suspension upgrades and drive like rental cars - very disappointing - avoid them)

Edit: It drives a lot like a late 90s E Class or Volvo S60 - not wobbly or bouncy "GM" at all, and it has no power gaps between gears (a first for any GM car, IME). The transmission is a standard 4 speed unit, which is optimal as it's also one of the most reliable ever made. You don't need tons of gears if you have loads of low end power.
    edited August 2012
    How does a car like that fit into his requirements for fuel efficiency?

Isn't this model rated at 17/27?
    He was looking at the Malibu and similar larger cars. They simply don't get 32mpg in real world driving, at least not without a puny engine, overpriced hybrid technology, or sacrificing ride, size, and features. A car like this (this specific model, actually) is loaded and drives as well as anything Honda or Toyota are making.

GM makes the most reliable automatics, and their V6 engines are top-notch. He might pay a little more for fuel, but it'll take him a long time to make up the difference since the GM car will have a much lower price versus most of the imports.

Now GM is very hit and miss, I'll have to admit. They make a superb vehicle only every few years, and it's usually unfortunately a top trim model of something nobody has their eye on. Or that is very low production. This is one of their gems, but since it's buried in reams of rental listings and off of absolutely everyone's radar, it's dirt cheap.

CTS engine and suspension. In a Buick. For the price of a new Yaris. The OP should definitely check it out.
    Plekto only believes in large used GM sedans. :shades:
  • mark_willismark_willis Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I've been researching cars for a couple of months now but I just can't find one that meets my needs as far as fuel economy, look, and cost to maintain. I don't mind sacrificing a little gas mileage for looks, or for power, but it is one of the main selling points for me. Also, I REALLY like the body style of the BMW 3 Series, the 2006 model or so. I also like the new Mazda3 body, just to give you an idea of what body type appeals to me. The only thing that deters me from a BMW is the cost to maintain. Also, I'm looking to buy a used car that's just a few years old, preferably no older than 2008, give or take. Anyway, any suggestions would be VERY much appreciated, as this car search is driving me crazy!
    "cost to maintain"...

If that's a significant factor in your decision, I would suggest you omit searching any traditional "luxury" brand vehicle.

Just because a car cost twice as much, it in no way implies twice the reliability. In fact, this type of vehicle, as a rule, requires more in maintenance costs, if or no other reason that 1- it omens with more items, ergo more items to fail, and 2- parts on higher $ cars costs more $$$.

Stick with more mainstream, mass produced vehicles.
    If you like how the Mazda3 looks, why not get a Mazda3? Reliable, good fuel economy (esp. 2012+ with Skyactiv), great handling and fun to drive.

And since you don't like maintenance costs, I recommend you buy new or slightly-used-with-CPO-warranty. 2013 Mazda3i Sport with Skyactiv starts around $17-18k. About the same as an older 3 Series, but better FE and with a new-car warranty.
  • mark_willismark_willis Member Posts: 2
    Well, honestly I'd really like a new Mazda3, but it's just a LITTLE bit out of my price range, because I'd like to get the i Touring trim if I decided to get it. The cheaper trims just don't have enough options for my taste and isn't worth it because I'm planning on having this car until it dies, so luxury is a pretty important aspect for me as well. It's very possible I will go for a 2010 or 2011 Mazda3, I was just trying to get some ideas on other cars similar to it before I make my final decision.
    How about the first-gen TSX? First generation was the best anyway. Very reliable, blast to drive, luxury trimmings. Example: 2005 TSX auto, 67k, at my local Honda dealer for $14k asking price.