Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• bg, good point about the scratching, but the Performance can't handle 5 bikes. I emailed them and they said no. So, my only options thus far are the Saris and Swagman. I prefer the Saris and will have to deal with bungees/pads to deal with the scraping problem.
  • What I said about CR's assessment of the Odyssey's reliability was *very* specific and quite accurate. I did not lie.

Did I misunderstand your note ??
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,809
    I don't think that you guys (grplavloff and cliffyb) are on the same page (and I don't think accusations of lying are flying). As I understand it, CR has different issues, and also a web site area for subscribers that publishes some articles earlier than the print edition. CR's recommendations for new vehicle purchases may indeed differ from what their subscriber reliability surveys may yield as far as recommended vehicles. But I'm not a subscriber, so usual disclaimers....

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• "CR's recommendations for new vehicle purchases may indeed differ from what their subscriber reliability surveys may yield as far as recommended vehicles. ..."

CR will recommend a model "when it performs well in our tests and when our reader-survey data indicate it should be at least average in reliability." - That comes straight out of the guide Mr. Cliffyb referred to. Since, as I said, the 2000 Odyssey got an average reliability score (I was defending the blasted vehicle !), it will be recommended by CR.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,809
    Thanks for the clarification!

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• billg7billg7 Posts: 342
    Consumers Reports says in their April 2000 issue that any vehicle that they put a check mark beside "means the model is recommended: a recent version performed competently in our tests and,based on the models history,we predict that its reliability will be at least average."

For mini vans there are four check rated vehicles in order, Odyssey LX; Toyota Sienna LE; Chrysler Town & Country LX; Dodge Caravan SE. This is for the April 2000 issue.

In later issues the Odyssey is still top rated and check rated so there is no reason to believe the Odyssey will have a below average rating.

I write on the issue when I receive it. I received the April 2000 issue on 03/13/00 so we can expect to know on approximately that date one year later which would be 03/13/01 what the rating is that CR gives the Odyssey. I will post it here if no one else does.

As of the January 2001 issue, which I received on 12/04/00, the Odyssey is still the top rated vehicle and is check rated. Odyssey EX ; Sienna LE; Dodge Grand Caravan Sport are the top rated minivans in that order in that issue, with only the first two check rated. The Grand Caravan is not check rated because they say it is to new to predict its reliability.

Conclusion: The Odyssey will almost certainly be check rated when the CR April 2001 issue comes out in about 5 weeks. How the 1999 model will be rated is a question however.

There is no certainty in the world,except death and taxes, but I am assigning a 90% probability that the Odyssey for years 2000 and above will have at least an average reliability rating and that the Odyssey will continue to be check rated and the top minivan.

If you want more certainty then that in your life you will have to wait about 5 weeks, until the next issue of CR comes out, which will be the April issue as I received the March issue on 01/31/01.
  • While it may be difficult to find out the most popular color for 2001 Odyssey, it is possible to find out the information about '99 and '00 models. Just check the Edmund's Used Van/Light Truck Price. There is a price adjustment for color. Obviously, you would need to enter each color to get the adjustment sum.
  • This question was posted on another board and I thought it raised a good question. So I posting it hear to see what comments this group has on this. I also have a EX on order so I can not test this out...

"I have a 2001 EX and am curious about how the rear doors are affected in case of an accident. Since the tranny has to be in PARK for the doors to operate (automatic mode), what happens in the event of a frontal or front side impact where the driver would be incapacitated and/or can't get tranny in PARK. How are the doors affected ? The doors are very hard for kids to operate manually. How would they get out ? "

It does make you stop and think.. Anybody have any comment or experience with this?
  • We are considering a EX-NAVI. Why would I buy a Honda NAVI system instead of the latest GPS Handheld system. One obvious advantage is that it is built into the dash, but what about 5 years from now? Is it going to be as upgradable as some of the latest Handhelds, that cost 1/2 the price and can be replaced easily? Also, does it cost to keep it upgraded and updated? Thanks for your help.
  • mtsangmtsang Posts: 70
    miniman,

I live in Northern NJ, my experience with my '99 Ody EX in the snow leaves much to be desire. Take yesterday's snow storm for example, the Ody was losing traction going uphill and getting stuck in less than a foot high snow banks. I couldn't manuver snow-covered hills where smaller sedans were able to handle with seemingly no problem. The snow-handling capability of my Ody has been way below expectation - given its weight, FWD and TCS.

On the other hand, I have been reading alot of Ody owner who have re-assuring snow driving experiences. I am wondering if it's the Firestone Affinity tires that I have?! I have 20K miles on the tires and there is still plenty of treads. WHAT KIND OF TIRES DO YOU AND OTHERS HAVE THAT RESULTED IN GOOD SNOW-HANDLING? (not shouting, just want to get attention :) Thanks.

Mike
  • I fitted my 1999 EX with Michelin Artic Alpin snows, got them from Discount Tire Direct, mounted on new steel wheels w/ hubcaps. They aren't as pretty as the alloys but it sure does go in snow. More than once my response to "how are the roads?" has been "They must be bad, everyone else is acting like they're terrible, and people are in the ditches, but I just took it easy and didn't slip at all." I don't know that the Oddy will match a big 4x4 in deep loose snow, but I know that it is very sure footed on ice and packed powder. I have yet to see a single Odyssey in the ditch, which I can't say about most SUV's! Incidently I also have a 1988 Volvo 760 on which I have run Bridgestone Blizzak W-15 tires for 5 winters now. I believe the Blizzaks are better in deep snow, while the Alpins may have the advantage on ice, but both are very good on ice. The Alpins also have the advantage of being quieter than the Firestone Affinity tires...my wife complained when I switched back last spring.
  • cavillercaviller Posts: 331
    1) Odyssey is CR's top rated minivan based on their subjective overall rating (i.e. the ratings bars in the review). According to CR, reliability is not a part of their subjective overall rating, except as indicated in previous posts and point #2 below. Of course, editors can always be biased by these reliability ratings when making their subjective overall rating...
    2) As of the 1/01 issue, Odyssey has an "Average" reliability projection. This projection is based on all model years for which the vehicle has the current design (i.e. starting with 1999 for Odyssey). Previous Odyssey reliability projections were based, in part, on the previous generation of Odysseys. CR carried over their excellent reliability projection in their review of a 1999 LX. It is always interesting when they do this, since on many redesigned vehicles (like the new Grand Caravan), they chose instead to give it a "New" rating for reliability.
    3) The website and an e-mail I received BOTH confirm that the 1999 model year Odyssey will be rated below average in reliability. This, presumably, is why the overall projection is now "Average" while the previous projection was above average.
    4) It is still likely Odyssey will be a recommended vehicle (check mark), because it got at least a "Good" evaluation and at least an "Average" reliability projection.
    5) Even so, the 1999 Odyssey may or may not be added to the "Used Cars to Avoid" list. This is still speculation, as there has been no confirmation of this by email or on the website.

There really isn't much to dispute on this. The 1999 Odyssey was a first year model, and it's reliability is going to be worse than average. No one said their overall projection would be worse than average, or that it would cause the Odyssey to lose ground in its overall evaluation. These things could happen in the future, of course, as more reliability surveys are returned. CR frequently adjusts its overall ratings bars even without re-reviewing a vehicle. Case in point, the 1999 minivan reviews put Sienna as the top rated minivan. When the April 2000 issue was released, Odyssey had moved to the top, even though neither Odyssey nor Sienna had been re-reviewed in that time period. This happens quite often, and no explanations are ever given...

CR is not perfect. Its reliability results are based on surveys [poorly worded in my opinion] that are only sent to its subscribers. It's overall reviews are subjective, as with any other magazine. As such, there can be an unbroken cycle where the editor's opinions affect the consumer's reliability surveys and vice-versa. So, don't take CR's word as gospel. I find it valuable, but don't use it as my only reference for automobile information.
  • The Honda Nav system is an upgradeable DVD system, you should have no problem in upgrades.

Now as to why this system works a little different than a hand held GPS. First of all this system is specifically made for roads, and it will prompt you for changes in directions, and alternate routes. Your hand held won't do that. You can also program in your daily schedule and it will map you a route, while giving you ATM's, gas stations and more.

I would suggest that you visit your local dealer and ask to see the next Nav that comes in for a demonstration.

Hope this helps.
  • The TCS in our 99 EX is fantastic here in the MN winter. However, I do hear a clicking or grinding noise from the dashboard area when it kicks in. Does anyone else hear that?
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,853
    Just like richcolo, we put Michelin Arctic Alpins on steel wheels on our Y2K EX. Thus far, they have been great. I have not used snows since 1984, but decided to with this van as it is our primary family transport. Drove it on snow packed , iced, and wet roads this AM. Flawless. TCS lit up a couple of times, but stable otherwise.

Only complaint is that the tires sing on wet pavement, but you get used to it.
  • Your posting was extremely well-written, clear, informative, non-inflammatory while managing to include some of your own (also clearly represented as such) opinion, and exemplary in every discernable way. This makes your post stand out as well above the average quality level found in even this very high quality Odyssey forum.

Please, immediately cease and desist from such postings as they make the rest of us look bad. If you will kindly descend once again down to the level of the rest of us, it would be greatly appreciated. Mediocraty possesses large quantities of gravity.

Tongue-firmly-in-cheekily yours,
    TAD ;-)

PS Lest the wrath of the skim-readers fall heavily on my head, let me say that you have my highest compliments for posting in the very best way.
    If it pleases the court:

Odyssey RULEZ! All other minivans suck! Consumer Reports is clearly biased against 1999 Odysseys. All of these facts are supported by irrefutable evidence, which I cannot post at this time.

Thank you.
  • much better, er ah, worse, er... preferable?!

Whatever.... ;-)
  • My wife and I have a '99 LX. The original Firestone Affiitys
    were terrible last winter in the snow here in Cleveland. To make matters worse, they wore out quickly, 5/32 of tread with less than 23K miles.
    I replaced them in late Nov. '00 with Michelin Symetrys. Much, much better. I personally think these are an excellent all season tire choice. We have Blizzaks on our '89 Accord which also perform exceptionally well in the snow. Good seasonal choice. I suggest dumping the Affinitys. If your budget allows a winter and summer tire arrangement you will get optimal performance. If not, then I think the Symetrys are a good compromise.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    You may be interested Townhall's Honda Odyssey GPS Navigation system discussion topic. I believe you will find that most of your potential questions (and answers to the questions) are in there.

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • I just purchased an EX with Navi. I would like to get the HondaCare 7/100/0 warranty. Can people tell me how much they paid for it? My dealer was asking $1300 for it but I thought that was too much. I have seen it for around $900 on the web. Is that an accurate price right now? He mentioned to me that HondaCare are $1050 retail and aftermarket warranties (not HondaCare) are a lot cheaper. Is he telling me the truth? Am I able to get HondaCare warranty for around $900?
  • Does anyone recommend a web site or store for cloth seat covers for the odyssey? For the magic seat and the second row. Any recommendations on type of fabric or other advice?
    Thanks.
  • Somewhere here on one of the Ody threads there's a list of dealers selling the Honda 7-year, 100,000 mile, no-deductible warranty for just under $900. I know Union Park Honda in Wilmington, DE, is one.

Most people who have looked at different warranties carefully recomment getting the Honda warranty, not an "aftermarket" one.
  • billg7billg7 Posts: 342
    http://www.1netweb.com/checklist.htm

The above web site belongs to our own Shaganasty. It contains some dealers who sell the HCW for about $900. He says at his site that if you e-mail him he will update the list for you. He also has a check list for when you go to pick up your car.

In addition if you look back on the posts you will find a number of dealers listed for the HCW. You may have to buy it from out of state but that is not a problem.

I mistakenly bought a non HCW and then got a copy of the HCW. I saw the HCW was much better and covered more things with fewer "fine print areas". The Honda dealers will also honor it right away. So I took it back and got the HCW.

If you go for the non HCW the dealers love to sell you because they make more, you will most probably not get a warranty as good as the HCW.

• I also have a concern about my new Odyssey EX fuel gauge. The indicator needle comes to very close to Empty when only 13-14 gallons are consumed and lights the gas reserve indicator.The tank capacity is 20 gal, so I would expect it should be in reserve when 16-18 gallons used. At half of gauge, only 6-7 gallons are used. I taken it to the dealer twice. The first time they replaced the "sending unit" but still didn't read right. The second time they said it is a "feature" of the Odyssey. I say I am not getting the benefit of having a 20gal tank. Is this a "feature" or do I have problem with my VAN???? If not, how do you keep track of gas?
    On each fillup, record the mileage since the last fillup and number of gallons it took to fill.

Divide the number of miles since the last fillup by the number of gallons to get the miles per gallon.

Keep track of this over a few tankfuls.

Now, on each fillup, reset the trip odometer. Say you've calculated that you have recently been getting 20 miles per gallon. Since you have a 20 gallon tank, you know you will run out of gas when your trip odometer reaches around 400. Play it safe and fill up around 350 or so.

This method should be failsafe as long as your odometer is working, and it doesn't depend on any lights or gauges. If your driving habits change (A/C usage, extreme cold, lots of stop-n-go traffic), you may want to play it a bit more conservatively.
  • cliffybcliffyb Posts: 114
    I hope you don't think I was attacking your views.
    I misunderstood what you were asking. Several days ago a joker named Sam was on the boards spreading BS about the Oddysey and the Nissan and using CR as his back-up. I thought you were referring to that. My thoughts about the all vans that everyone argues about in hers are basically..take everything you know about Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Chrysler, and Ford as manufacturer's, and anything other than the Toyota, or the Honda seems like a bad choice. Companys that build crummy cars and trucks build crummy vans. There's no mystery involved.
  • And we read of problems in the Town Hall with any brand. Yet some people have had ZERO problems with any brand (such as we and all but one friend have had zero problems with DC minivans). Our friend Julie B. of Dallas, Texas started having problems with her used 96 T&C and looked at the competiton. I recommended the Odyssey as a great buy for the most van at MSRP. She shopped but said no van compares with T&C for luxury and comfort so they traded it in on a newer 99 T&C.
    Meanwhile, although we love our 99 GC SE, I recommended the Odyssey to my sister and brother in law who plan to get a 2001 Odyssey this summer after looking at all minivans at the big Auto Show last month.
  • flothfloth Posts: 6
    I have been reading for a couple of weeks and this is my first posting. Thanks to everyone for educating me about the Ody.

I had a bad experience with Grand Honda in Elmhurst this morning as they tried to sell me an Ody DX with key less remote, roof rack, and security system for $28,600. This was a price for me to order it... And when I said that this was way too high for me he wanted me to give him a check made out to them for $2,500 in order for me to find out if they would accept my counter offer. This was needed to be sure I was serious about buying the van. Salesman was Howard Chung. I was seriously out-of-there…

Apart from that I'm still interested in the Ody as it does seem like a great van, but I find the information on reliability to be somewhat lacking. CR just doesn't give enough detail for me although I do find it helpful. I just went on the NHTSA web site to see how many complaints there were on the Ody http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/compmmy1.cfm

I was surprised to find 116 records for the 2000 Ody (must type Honda truck, Odyssey, 2000) and not all were about the doors. Lots of trany problems and strange stuff like the power seat moving on its own...

I figured the Dodge Caravan will have many more. But the Caravan only had 44 (Dodge truck, caravan, 2000) and the Grand Caravan another 23. These were also substantial problems (trans) mixed in with some simple ones. (One said they had 3 new transmissions in the first 9 months of ownership). I also noticed many were repeated which really messes up the stats...

I really liked caviller's (#1064) information about the reliability and the problems of just counting the number of complaints but how does Jack Gillis' Ultimate Car Book 2000 get their data? Are they polling people? Do they talk with the dealerships? Do they use a weighting system or is every complain just counted. It seems to be hard to say which van has more "serious" problems. Seems like it should be simple but then look how the election turned out. I figure if you talk with a honda/caravan mechanic you would get some good info.

IMHO Honda builds reliable cars but the Ody isn't quite up to the civic/accord quality and I'm not talking just about doors. It seems this van was much more complicated that 96-98 model (those were amazingly trouble free) I apologize for the long posting. Here are a few summaries that I cut from the NHTSA site that some of you might find interesting.

MY WIFE EXPERIENCED A CASTROPHIC FAILURE OF THE RIGHT FRONT SUSSPENSION. THE WHEEL BUCKELED UNDER THE CAR AFTER THE SUSPENSION BROKE. SHE WAS TRAVELING AT 30M

WHEN BACKING UP HILL, WILL INTERMITTENTLY HEAR A SINGLE, LOUD CLUNK FROM TRANSMISSION. IT GETS WORSE WITH TIME. CURRENTLY, HAPPENS MORE OFTEN THAN IT ORIGINAL

DASH LIGHTS FAIL TO ILLUMINATE DASH PANEL

THE SEAT-BACK OF THE DRIVER SEAT WILL START TILTING BACK AUTOMACTICLY. IT HAPPENED ALL WHEN THE KEY IS IN THE OFF POSITION. WHEN THIS HAPPENED, THE DRIVER SEAT

INTERMITTENTLY POWER-OPERATED SEAT WILL RECLINE ON ITS OWN, SQUEEZING THE REAR OCCUPANT'S LEGS. DEALER HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO DUPLICATE THE PROBLEM.

POWER SEAT BUTTON MALFUNCTIONED, CAUSING SEAT TO RECLINE ONTO THE REAR PASSENGER.

HUSBAND TAPPED WINDOWSHIELD FROM THE INSIDE OF CAR TO KILL SMALL BUG AND WINDSHIELD CRACKED ON THE OUTSIDE. WINDSHIELD IS INDENTED ON THE OUTSIDE. THE INSIDE HA

WHILE TRAVELING 45MPH vehicle BECAME STUCK AT FULL THROTTLE. DRIVER WAS ABLE TO SLOW DOWN & STOP BY PUTTING VEHICLE INTO PARK. CONSUMER HAD VEHICLE TOWED TO

REAR SEAT BELT ON DRIVER'S SIDE, GOT CAUGHT AND WOULD NOT RELEASE. MY SON WAS STUCK IN SEATBELT AND EVERYTIME HE MOVED, IT TIGHTENED. IT WAS SO TIGHT AROUND H
  • This was a great unbias info that you posted for would be shoppers. This other Joker Gravolff...thinks he knows everything!!!..Anyway I believe the purpose of this board is to serve shoppers and to provide as much data and detailing pros and cons of each van with exact prices paid. The Honda board has just too many dealers protecting their products..This board just has so many of them posting here and they don't want anyone bad mouthing their products.
    Even of CS claims the '99 Odyssey is unreliable as a consumer we should give it credibility since they don't get money from advertisers!!!