Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• kewl1kewl1 Posts: 11
    BigMike,

I have a 99 300M and a 99 LHS. Oh and the RX8. Yes, I still have all three, don't ask why. I like the LHS over the 300M. LHS handles and rides better, especially steering. And its faster in the 1/4 mile. However, I love the RX8. I haven't experienced the stalling problem some are talking about and I have done the 'pull it out to the driveway to wash it' several times without issue. However I do let it idle for a few minutes now.....just in case.

Gas mileage in the RX8 isn't that far off either the 300M or the LHS, both of which get about 21, the RX8 gets about 18.5 if I drive all three about the same way - tough to do with the RX8...its just too much fun. I should point out that the 300M/LHS only weights about 300 pounds or so more than the RX8.

As for why the rotary uses more gas, well you have to fully understand the engine design to understand the reason for that. I accept the mileage...knew it before I got the car so don't worry about it.

If you ask me to buy the RX8 again....I would without a second's thought.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,898
    cheez...why thanks.....(blush);-)

kewl...I can find no reasonable reason for anyone's claim that the RX8 stalls. Even in the dedicated RX8 forums (where most of the RX8 bretheren reside) have there been any reports of stalling. That's what leads me to believe a couple of people who may or may not own the RX8 and reported stalling, are really just some folks trying to "stir the pot". Who knows what their reasons are.

I've started my RX8 and shut it down within seconds in all types of weather and temps on numerous occasions. There is absolutely no reason for the car to stall unless someone is using poor gas, has a clogged gas filter or has somehow modifed their engine in some way. There's only been a couple of "tuner" companies that have done any 8 modifying and even they haven't reported any stalling issues.

I like the 300M/LHS. For what they offer (big v6, great handling car for its size, plenty of luxo features) and the discounts given, you can buy one of those for about the same price as an uplevel Accord or Camry. In my estimation, the LH cars are way better looking than either of those, too.

I believe it's hard for some people to understand the fact that something as small as a 1.3L rotary won't get 40 MPG. As we know, size isn't the culprit. We've been conditioned over the years thinking that the smaller the engine, the better the MPG. When a 1.3L engine puts out 210-240HP, and something that's as different as the rotary is when compared to a piston engine, all that power has to come from somewhere. Still, a car that is capable of getting high teens/to low 20s MPG and still break 6 sec in 0-60 runs is pretty amazing.

As all of us RX8 owners already know, short of an exotic car, there's nothing on the road today that gets the attention an RX8 does. I can't park mine or stop for gas or just get flagged while stopped at a red light without someone making overwhelmingly positive comments.

My favorite is going to the mall or the grocery store and coming back out to my 8 and seeing nose prints all over the windows from people who have stared into it.

And, as we all know, the RX8 is truly a joy to drive. It makes mundane errand running an event.

With the colors changing and the weather promising to be sunny, crisp and clear, I'm planning just to take a drive tomorrow on the country backroads in my 8 to my old college town. I'll probably stop and have lunch and turn right around and drive back for no better reason that to enjoy the RX8.
  • mkollmkoll Posts: 21
    You said it. This cars appeal is amazing. I marvel at it myself everytime I look at it in my own garage. But it is so much fun to stop at an intersection and see how many cars move forward a bit to get a better look. It really, really gets noticed.
    By the way,thanks for all your response to my more technical queries. Your help and knowledge is greatly appreciated. This is a great forum and once I found this the discussions helped me in my quest to purchase my car.
    Someone said it some time ago, it is like driving a "rock star". What fun. To anyone still contemplating a purchase, simply put,... awesome!
  • kewl1kewl1 Posts: 11
    OK so I know I shouldn't have said anything about stalling...not to worry it hasn't. But it sure didn't want to start this morning. It is a bit colder this AM - in the the 20's, but the RX8 sits in the garage and it's warmer there so I don't think that had anything to do with it. It took about 7-8 seconds of turning the starter before it would light off. Its not done that before and the smell...well lots of that wonderful gas exhaust in the garage this morning.

The car ran fine after starting and running for about 20 seconds and the next start, sometime later in the morning, was just fine... Can't say I really put much into the interesting start this morning, I've had the DC cars do strange things on start-up every now and then to. The 3.5 engines in the 300M/LHS can sometimes make the most god awful lifter [like] noise you have every heard when you first start the engine and the gas smell is really strong. I'm not sure that the noise isn't really an injector. It clears up after about 10 seconds, but you would think the engine is coming apart for those 10 seconds. You can just imagine what I was thinking the first time that happened.

I would agree that it appears that some people are trying like hell to make something out of nothing. They act like the RX8 is the only car in the world that has issues. But then again I would expect them to do that given how jealous they have to be when the realize what they 'are' driving around in compared to the RX8 they could be driving around in. And in that vein I understand their plight. So maybe we should just be polite, shake our heads and smile as they tell us their stories. I know I do.
    Truth be told, I was a bit skeptical about the RX8 when I first saw the pictures of it before it came to market. I happened to be in Detroit when the international auto show was going on last January. That's the first time I saw one "in the flesh". I remember being amazed by it when able to see it in person and actually sit in it at the autoshow.

Still, I was a bit skeptical, so I started to follow everything I could find out about it before it arrived, knowing that I would be in the market when it hit our shores.

Originally, I was in the market for a 350Z/G35 Coupe. I had driven them several times. While great cars, I couldn't get over the one time I had seen and sat in the RX8 at the auto show. Before I plunked down $30K large for any car, I wanted to drive the RX8 first. I pre-ordered the RX8 with a refundable security deposit thinking I would not like it as much as the Z/G.

When my dealer got the first ones in, he invited me for a test drive in one of their demos. The rest, as they say, is history. While the 350Z may be marginally faster, the RX8, taken as a whole, was the much better car, IMHO. I even found the interior, materials and build quality to be better in the RX8 than in the Infiniti.

Then Mazda announced they would buy my car back due to the HP snafu. I redrove the Z/G yet again, thinking I might change my mind and get another vehicle. Even with the discounts I could have negotiated for the Z/G, I found I liked the RX8 even more than the first time I did the comparison. I was more than happy to take the free maintenance and $500 offer from Mazda for my troubles and keep my 8.

So, given the opportunity to take a 2 month RX8 test drive with no financial penalty still didn't dampen my enthusiasm for my car. It's that good.

This isn't an idictment of the 350Z/G35. As mentioned, they are fine cars. I just couldn't duplicate the thrill of driving the RX8 when compared to them. Given how good the Z/G cars are, that's high praise for the RX8.
  • carlikercarliker Posts: 285
    It's looks like Mazda is already giving a $500 Cash Back Rebate to customers from 11/02/2003 to 01/02/2004. This can be found on Edmunds Incentives/Rebates Listings. Obviously, these cars aren't selling as well as Mazda would like for them to already be giving rebates. At first, I figured maybe it was due to the winter season...though Nissan isn't giving any rebates or low APR on either 2003/2004 350Z vehicles. The G35 Coupes don't have any incentives/rebates either (yet they did have a special APR at one time). It's the only 2004 sports car that is brand new this year to be giving a cash rebate. The Audi TT and the current model for the Corvette aren't even giving cash rebates and they have been around for years. Though both have lower APRs currently.
           Mazda was supposedly rewarding customers $500 and 4 year free maintenance for keeping their car after the HP error. Now, less than two months later, they are giving a $500 cash rebate to any potential buyer. I'm glad I decided against that deal. Rebates are sure signs that a car isn't selling up to par. This goes along with the large amount of RX-8s sitting on dealership lots (which I saw when returning mine). What are your thoughts on the rebate Mazda is giving out so soon?
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    really?

dude that's gonna rock! I don't really give a damn why they start the rebates so early, but if Mazda's willing to give some corporate-level discount on top of whatever the dealer's willing to deal at, great!!!!!

btw, Z's around here are going for a few hundred bucks over invoice, so dealers are already discounting on their own to move inventory.
  • so, I go to the beach here in South Florida. Got Shima (my RX8) all spiffed up...looking good....heads are turning on the freeway....life is good.....then, I get to the beach parking, get out, waiting to see my adoring public...but wait!....what pulls up slowly behind me and then goes off to another spot? A mint, white, fully tinted windowed, all detailed, Lamborghini Countach!....arrrgh....I had to live in a place with a zillion beautiful, wonderful, exotic cars.....guess that's a good thing, eh?....LOL...I loved it!.....it was great - a wicked car that Lambo........but the pretty blonde I was with said she liked Shima better ("at least you can carry stuff in your car!")....so, let the Lambo be, the RX8 is the one for me!!
  • I just found this message board a couple of days ago after having trouble with my two month old RX8.
    I had to have the car towed to the dealer after it would not start. The day before ( a Saturday) I backed the car out of the garage to clean it and pulled it back in. The next day it would not start.
    The dealer said the engine was flooded and stated the car had to be run for ten minutes minimum after a cold start. Also, they'd fix it under warranty this time , but not again.
    This sounded screwy to me so I called Mazda. They told me it should be run for three to five minutes after a cold start, and asked me if I'd received a brochure on rotary engine tips from the dealer. Of course, I had not.
    I work about eighty mile from where I bought the car, and called a dealer in that city. They told me the engine simply had to warm up before shutting it down. That might be a minute in warm weather and somewhat longer in colder weather.
    It's a pain to worry about every time I drive, but am getting used to it. But it shouldn't have to be.
    Another issue that was frustrating was snow tires. The manual calls for them and to be installed by a Mazda dealer. But the dealers were saying they were getting no info from Mazda.
    I called Mazda again and they faxed me a list of acceptable snow tires (the same ones that I had already found on the Tire Rack web site.) I faxed that to the dealer and ordered a set.
    However, other than those two issues, I have not had any AC problems (although it was not in the 90's here in September), and have not had any check engine or low oil lights going on.
    The car has gotten lots of second looks and favorable comments on the appearance.
    My gas mileage has been 20.5-21.5 since I bought it, but it is almost entirely Interstate highway driving.
    My only other question ( if there is any one out there still reading this rambling piece) is a "clunk" that occurs under the front end when first moving the car. It happens once, after either backing up or moving forward about two car lengths. It sounds and feels like I just drove over a pot hole. Two dealers took a look and both say nothing is loose. One said it might be the disc brakes slipping as the axle first started moving. Said Mazda's brakes were like that. There is no problem breaking, but sometime the car drifts a bit too much to the right if a bump in the road is encountered. Anyone have an idea?
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    Hate to say "I told ya so"......
    I inquired about that clunking noise a week or two ago after I had just purchased mine. I got atleast two responses from this discussion group that said that the noise you hear when you first put the car in forward and begin moving is the antilock brakes self-calibration and that this noise is perfectly normal. I haven't noticed the drifting, but I will take note.
    See previous messages #1179-1181
    The G35 was a car I considered, nice. I will say though that when I pass one on the road even G35 drivers look at my RX8.
    Rebate or not, my opinion is that the RX8 has a more stylish shape than either the Infiniti G35 or Nissan Z. My feeling is this, if the manufacturer is offering a rebate because sales have not been good, that means that my vehicle remains a bit rarer. I'd rather pass one RX8 twice a week than pass 3 G35's each day. So, if popularity is evidenced by lack of rebates, and that is what you want, then go for it.
    Park an RX8 next to a G35 and see which one attracts more attention. Back to my original statement,the G35 coupe is a nice car, very appealing. But, I would not trade my 8 for one.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    I wanted one but forund the interior too cheap looking for the premium they wanted for the 6MT version. It's just a pain in the butt to change screen names. From the outside though, the RX8 doen't hold a candle to the Gee. The Gee simply looks more substancial than the "toy looking" RX8.
    Again, just let the market decide.
  • carliker,

I'm not sure what rebate your discussing, but I got a $500 rebate when I bought my RX8 on 25 Sep 03. So, I know they were offering rebates even then....it's not a all of a sudden we need to offer rebates to sell the car.

If you want to know what the rebate was originally for and what I assume it is still for, it was for "college graduate" rebate. I graduated a while back, but thank goodness my wife is finishing her degree during the timeframe I wanted to buy an RX8! Had to put her first on the loan because of the rebate...oh well, a small price to pay for a $500 discount.

Almost 2K miles on my new ride and I'm still loving it!! Even the "Z" riders stare me down...had one intentionally park beside me a few weeks back. Admit the Z's are sharp on the outside, but I have better interior, lighter car...oh, and I have a BACKSEAT!
    rebates....yes, any recent college grad (or grad student) can get a $500 rebate on any Mazda. They've had that policy for quite some time. The RX8 is still going for near MSRP as Edmund's TMV points out.

G35 vs RX8 styling....purely subjective, but while I like the G, the styling just didn't "grab me" like the RX8's did. Have to agree with "mkoll", I wouldn't trade my RX8 for a G/Z (even when I had the opportunity to do so). To each his/her own. The G's interior really turned me off and the 350Z's is even worse.

The "clunk" is indeed normal and is, in fact, the ABS calibrating itself.

docsrx...your dealer's service people are morons. Find another dealer to work with you. The drifting could be anything...crown in the road, out of balance tires/wheels, etc. To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a rotary "tips and tricks" sheet. You treat it just like you would any other car. Just read the owner's manual and follow what it says. You wouldn't happen to be from Iowa, would you?

cheez...if you're going to be upstaged, at least you were upstaged by one of the hottest cars around....a Lambo.
  • Hi Everyone,

Just to let everyone know - the RX8 starts no problem in the extreme cold.

We just had a wicked cold snap this week ... it was -20C (or -4 F for Americans) ... and the car started no problem after being outside for 10hrs ...

I'll have an update on the Winter tires when they arrive next Friday ... until then, all I can say is the original Bridgestone Potenza's SUCK in snow or ice ...
  • http://www.teamcrotty.org/mc
    I've added front and rear rotary accents, aluminum strakes on the sides, and now clear corner blinker lights... Every little step makes the car that much nicer! The corners are affordable and easy to install. Took about 10 mins for each light.
  • Hey MC....where did you get the clear corners and about how much $ did it cost? I like them! they look great on your silver 8 !! wonder how they would look on my red Shima!!.... http://www.fungistudios.com/RX8_Shima/RX8_shima.htm
  • They can be found on www.rotaryextreme.com for $70 a pair w/no shiping charges. Be careful with this site, it can be addicting once you see the pics of some of the mazdaspeed parts that can be purchased for the "8".
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    I don't know why people love to post wrong and false information....there is NO consumer rebate on the RX-8. Recent college graduates can qualify for a $500 rebate on everything Mazda sells, including the RX-8. This is nothing new, it has been available since day one of the RX-8.

Other than a college grad program, there is no current incentives on the 8.