Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    steve285steve285 Member Posts: 8
    Yeah, I'm also using rubber mats now over the Corolla floor mats to protect them. Absurd, really. I guess the factory mats have become strictly a fashion item.

My main concern is that the hole in the floor mat may be just the first symptom of a bigger problem. The door panels and upholstery are still ok, but showing more wear and staining than older Corollas did for the same length of service.

As for the question posed by Nippononly, the answer is completely clear: this is a short-sighted cost cutting measure. That hole in the carpet was the first thing anyone noticed on my Corolla, at least until I covered it up. Not a good advertisement for the product.
  • Options
    matthew525matthew525 Member Posts: 52
    It might be the reason why they are selling the rubberized mats - a bad strategy if that is it.
  • Options
    insactocainsactoca Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 is getting 29-30 on the highway. Toyota headquarters tells me this is too low, they sent me to a local dealer to have it checked out. Of course, everything is fine. "How can my 1999 Solara 3.0 get 28mpg on the highway and my 2003 1.8 litre corolla only get 29?," I ask...his response, "well it makes perfect sense...the bigger car with the bigger engine is going to get better gas mileage because its RPMs are lower at highway speeds."

Puleeeze.

The only reason I down-sized to the smaller car was for the gas mileage...I wouldn't complain if it were getting 35...but 29 and 30??? I shoulda gone for the bimmer...after all it gets 30 highway and is a much nicer car.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    don't give up yet - you hit a bogus dealer, now find a better one. I know it is a hassle, but you should be able to get 38-40 mpg no sweat on the highway in this car.

I get 36-37 mpg in my Matrix, which has the same powertrain but weighs 200 pounds more and has a higher profile.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    boilermanboilerman Member Posts: 35
    You are doing about average for this car to get 30 mpg on the highway. I have owned this car almost 9 months now, and the best I got, was close to 34 mpg driving conservatively. The car is MUCH worse in the Winter, unlike any other Toyota I have ever owned. Consumer Reports OVERALL mileage on this car was 29 mpg...
  • Options
    klrobieklrobie Member Posts: 1
    I've had my '03 automatic corolla since Jan. and put about 9,700 miles on it so far, long commute. It has been ok, so far, definitely don't love it. The major problem is when I am going down a hill, a significant hill, the car sounds like it's shifting into a lower gear and the RPM's shoot up to around the 4 or 5 mark. The only way to bring them back down and to quiet the engine is to shift the car into Neutral and back into Drive once the hill is over. Has anyone ever had this problem? The dealer couldn't replicate the problem and therefore thinks I'm crazy.
  • Options
    insactocainsactoca Member Posts: 2
    Well,
    Toyota headquarters now tells me that they are happy to have helped me, but it's not their problem...it's the EPA's fault.

quote taken from last communication...

"Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    We were sorry to learn of your displeasure with the service provided by Toyota of Roseville.

As the fuel economy estimates are based on results of tests required and performed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency(EPA), you may find more clarity by contacting them to address your concerns.

We hope you will find the support you need through this resource.

Toyota has presented you all of the available options; any further recourse may be pursued outside of Toyota.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to assist you.

National Customer Relations "

Toyota is locally advertising this car gets 40.

I did my research before I bought...edmunds, KBB, and consumers said it gets around 35. In fact, the articles I read from the professional reviews stated they got a consistent 35.

Unfortunately, I didn't check out the consumer discussions about this car first.

Of the 8 new vehicles I've owned in the past 12 years, I've never had one that disappointed me so much, especially since it was the gas milieage that sold me on the car.
  • Options
    boilermanboilerman Member Posts: 35
    I have owned several Toyota's in the last 20 years and THIS 2003 Corolla has been the ONLY one that is not even close to the MPG estimates .I also went through the same CRAP with Toyota dealers and corporate (people)? and to be quite honest, they do not give a crap about you after they sell you a car. Toyota quality is rated high, but customer service ratings from their dealers and corporate are just as low as any other manufacturer. If you still have the survey they mailed to you,(about the dealership) BLAST THEM HARD, as it hurts their dealer rating.. which is the only thing they care about...
  • Options
    that is not a problem, it is intentional on Toyota's part. They have designed in some engine braking for long grades - when you step on the brakes and exceed a certain threshold of deceleration (ie slow down fairly quickly) the computer will shift down a gear to provide braking from the engine.

The dealer is just ignorant if they did not immediately explain this to you when you brought your car in. You may want to find a better dealer.

If you want to avoid this, be more ginger when braking from high speeds...OR when it downshifts, you can slow way down. Once the speed falls below a certain level, the computer will assume it has provided enough braking from the engine, and upshift again. Sometimes you can even feather the throttle, and after a few seconds of this, the computer will assume you want to speed up, and upshift accordingly.

Just some ideas you might try.

Hondas autos have been doing this for years, but Toyota is just beginning to program their autos to do it.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    Took my '98 Corolla w/ 66.2k miles to the dealer w/ a blinking airbag light. They confirmed the suspect being the airbag harness. SOL I'm out of warranty and the est. was $800+. This was the harness they replaced when the car was still under warranty, under the advise of Toyota HQ tech bulletin. I asked about this and I was told the warranty on the work or harness does not extend beyond the orig. purch date. And double SOL my 100k warranty insurance does not cover airbags!

My point is the harness was already ID'd as a weak point before.

I refused the service and asked for the regional POC #. Still a little fumed right now while contemplating my next recourse.

Anyone had similar issues and resolutions? Maybe I'm barking at the moon right now so pardon the post. Any advise is appreciated.
  • Options
    I do get 32-33 mpg in the Matrix week in and week out in 50/50 city/highway driving, and I am only about 75 miles from you in Roseville.

This convinces me it can be done, but I am a conservative driver, so that may contribute to the overall mileage I get.

• Options
    footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Hi insactoca -

Just to show you how screwed up this is, our 2000 Avalon XLS ( 3.0 liter v6 ) regularly gets 30 mpg highway driving at 65 mph on long trips.

I think you could pursue two very visible public courses:

* Get the local Toyota advertising claiming 40mpg and call the State Attorney Generals' office of consumer affairs and lodge a complaint in terms of fraudulent advertising.

* Get a hold of one of the local TV or Newspaper consumer hawks and tell them your story. Maybe they'll get you some air time.

Good luck.
  • Options
    tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    I'm not a Corolla/Matrix owner yet, but do own a Highlander. I've been lurking here because I'm ready to trade my wife's '02 Civic in on a Matrix or Corolla S. From the Honda side, I see the exact same cheapening out. The seats and carpet are no where near the quality that our '93 Accord had. My company has three Altimas that we use as employee loaner cars and while the carpet and seats are horrid, even the plastic pieces in the Nissans are falling apart.

I know this doesn't make the current owners feel any better, but at least the problem does not appear to be limited to just Toyota. It's a real shame and hopefully the manufacturers will wisen up. By the way, the Highlander is a great vehicle but the carpet is not what you would expect from a $30K+ auto and right now I am having the driver seat leather replaced under warranty due to stress cracks, so leather doesn't always mean better.
  • Options
    rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    It is quite possible that your mileage will improve as the drivetrain "wears in". I assume the finest burnishing is basically being done by the engine parts running against each other.

This is certainly not uncommon with most makes and models, but you may not read about it with the 2003 Corolla's "yet" as none have had that many miles on them. From what I've gathered, it seems that by 10,000 - 30,000 miles the engine has loosened up, and is delivering the best gas mileage that drivetrain ever will.
  • Options
    rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    Note that you can now do forum searches for (e.g.) mpg in the Corolla forums. Might help you find people with similar problems, and possible solutions. One possible solution was that the engine is burning too rich (i.e. too much fuel in the fuel:air mixture, so it doesn't burn efficiently. Thus, it uses more gas per mile); which I would ASSUME the dealer mechanics would have checked for automatically, however, it's worth asking them.
  • Options
    in most Toyotas and Lexus is pretty crappy in the long term, in my experience. That is, unless it has been well maintained.

However, the same is true for most makes, CERTAINLY including Honda/Acura, Volvo, Saab, and others. About the only leather I have ever seen that seems to still look good consistently after 5-10 years is the stuff BMW uses.

As far as fuel economy, the car companies are only allowed to advertise what the EPA has rated their cars at, once those ratings have been submitted by EPA. And EPA does not guarantee that that will be YOUR fuel economy but rather lists a fairly wide range of possible figures right on the fuel economy sticker. Hence the expression "your mileage may vary".

Since many people posting at Edmunds appear to be getting 35-40 mpg out of their corollas on a regular basis, maybe you could lend your car to your grandmother for a couple of weeks, and see what mileage she obtains from it (to check the "lead foot" factor). The other thing is, if it never sees the highway, mileage is bound to be lower, and will be lower still if all your trips are short.

Note: many people have the habit of just leaving the A/C running all the time. If you are one of those people, that is worth a point or two in fuel economy right there.

• Options
    toyotalgaltoyotalgal Member Posts: 13
    has been great - I got 32 MPG on my last tank - this is city driving - I have the 4 speed auto tranny - I think tire pressure has alot to do with it - I keep my tires between 32-34 PSI - not at 30 like they recommend - also, I had to practice "coasting" - this will also make a difference - I understand the 2003 Corolla is a heavier car than my 2001 - I'm sure that has something to do with it - also, I use 89 octane most (but not all) of the time - yes, it costs a little more than the 87, but you will get better mileage -
  • Options
    goose1207goose1207 Member Posts: 113
    There are small puddles of water under the trunk carpeting after rain showers. This is along the area of where the spare tire is located. I don't think it's the weatherstripping since the trunk carpet remains dry. I am totally stumped and so are 3 different mechanics. Any ideas? HELP!
  • Options
    LuzerLuzer Member Posts: 119
    Miles -

Corolla 1989 - 31.0 mpg with EPA 30/33
    Vibe 2003 - 28.5 mpg with EPA 28/33

Driving style -
    Go as fast as I can, until the engine feels real strained.
    That's about 75 to 80 on the 'rolla, and 80 to 85 on the Vibe.

'rolla is a 1.6 L 3 speed automatic and carb
    Vibe is 1.8L 4-speed auto.

...and yes, subtract about 1.5 mpg for winter
  • Options
    iwphilliwphill Member Posts: 48
    My matrix (fwd auto) now gets about 26-28 mpg (60/40 city/hwy). I was hoping it would improve as the engine gets more mileage on it (now 17.5K), but it's always been 26-28, except on long trips (got 31 mpg once). I had a '96 corolla (base, auto) that started getting better mileage after 35K miles (increased from 28mpg to 32mpg), so maybe it will improve later on.
  • Options
    gets 32 mpg in daily driving, managed 37 mpg on the last highway trip. I do a lot of coasting - this car doesn't even slow down below 25 mph even with foot off the gas. When it coasts the engine turns at about 1200 rpm. Lots of gas savings.

• Options
    getting 30.5 daily driving (less than 20 miles per day) mostly back and forth to work, few stops. Hwy is around 34. Have not had enough highway miles to really get a good measure
  • Options
    gida2gida2 Member Posts: 1
    Norwood Toyota in Warwick dented my mother's brand new 2003 Corolla during an oil change service. Accountability of the dent cannot be proven. The manager says he's not responsible and has a sign in the window saying this. I would think to keep good patronage he would repair the dent.

How could I force his hand in this matter. I'm in the process of writing the district manager and contacting my insurance company. I believe I would loose in small claims court.

Any advice or experience in this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks,
  • Options
    laurelmarielaurelmarie Member Posts: 2
    After asking the salesman specifically about the "stinky" car issue I had heard about through friends, he assured me that the problem was solved on the assembly line after an eight day shut down....I bought the car three weeks ago and now it reeks...Toyota Canada is blaming the gas companies...why would they knowingly sell a car that is defective? I am so dissappointed because I love the car, but feel like a (smelly) idiot while driving it. What now?
  • Options
    What a sticky situation. Getting proof that they caused the dent after the fact is going to be impossible (short of a confession); and proving that the dent wasn't caused before the service is next to improbable. I had a similar situation with a cracked windshield.

Your at their mercy but they should be able to work out some type of arrangement to repair the damage at cost (getting it for free would be a tough negotiation position; getting the repair at cost is most likely the best you can do given the situation). Please note that you Mom might be out of a vehicle for a couple of days/weeks when making repairs.

Would try to talk to the manager; all Toyota dealerships have a "good will" pot of money (so to say) to cover instances of this nature. Be calm, cool and collected when negotiating. Your most likely not going to be able to force a favorable decision if you begin demanding xyz.

Good luck; you can talk to a lawyer but I don't see a leverage point in doing so.
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The sulfur smell is a complaint on many new cars - Honda included. Check the Honda Accord Boards. Therefore, I think it IS a gasoline problem. You wouldn't think that BOTH Toyota and Honda had the SAME bad design, so the car is not defective. I think many people say that the new low sulfur gasoline will be produced by 2004, which will eliminate the smell. Enjoy your new car, treat it to proper routine maintenance with Toyota parts, and it will provide you with the most reliable, efficient, enjoyable, and cost effective transportation in this price range.
  • Options
    paulmillr1paulmillr1 Member Posts: 2
    I have this same problem, annoying, not sure its a big super deal....hopefully someone has encountered this and knows what to do about it..

Paul
  • Options
    robertp4robertp4 Member Posts: 22
    I had a similar problem with my 02 Type S. My car died on the highway and had to be towed to the dealer. It only had 16K. They found that the #1 spark plug cylinder was filled with antifreeze. Cracked spark plug tube, and or warped head. Replaced the head and car has been fine.
  • Options
    soure1soure1 Member Posts: 9
    The same thing you describe has happened to me but with a 2003 Corolla 5-speed. I have been at a light in neutral when I feel a slight shake from the engine. It does not always die in my case.
    Can't the dealer look up the error code in the engine control module? Maybe because your car is still under warranty they don't want to do it and possibly not get paid for it.
  • Options
    kima1kima1 Member Posts: 1
    Just a little note on the mpg discussion, as an avid fan of the 2003 toyota corolla S, I picked the car up at my local dealership with 5 miles on it, just 5 miles, wow, that was a long time ago, because, in just 8 months, I just changed the oil for what seems like the millionth time, and I've accumulated 26,450 miles.........I'm filling up about once a week, on Saturday, for approximately $16.50....I think that's pretty reasonable, wouldn't you agree? and just another footnote, I'm not treating the car like a Bentley garaged in the Hamptons, I'm allowing lots of time to let those horses run, and take that little five speed for all that it can handle.
  • Options
    paulmillr1paulmillr1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all

Just purchased a new Corolla here in Miami about 3 to 4 weeks ago..Its been a learning experience as it was my first new car.

Anyhow I'm looking at my car today and on the side below where the doors are it looks like the panel has paint that is bubbling? Not sure if thats the way to describe it, so maybe I should say "bumpy surface...somewhat noticeable because of the clearcoat? There is no longer a smooth surface anymore near the bottom at the sides of the vehicle, is this normal or is the not normal and has anyone else had this problem??

Paul
  • Options
    scarr5scarr5 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me if the ignition switch on a 2002 Corolla is supposed to be illuminated when you open the driver's door at night?

Can't get a straight answer from the dealership and the owner's manual says it is supposed to be. It isn't.
  • Options
    there is no illumination ring at the ignition keyhole.

However, the corolla does have time delay interior lighting after you shut the door, to light the interior and give you enough time to put the key in the ignition before it goes out. If your interior lights are not doing this, you should make sure you have them switched to 'door'.

• Options
    soure1soure1 Member Posts: 9
    Hi,
       I believe what you are seeing is the anti chip coating that Toyota applies to the lower body panels. It looks like a severe case of "orange peel' in the paint. No cause for worry, though.

Stan
  • Options
    How can you tell if a 2002 Corolla has ABS brakes?
    When I first start the car, ABS symbol briefly flashes. Does this definitively mean I have ABS?
  • Options

• Options
    it is like a thick plastic coating that they apply to the rocker panels (the piece along the side of the car that runs below the doors)...it has a textured look, like the surface of an orange. It is supposed to look like this.

• Options
    hsamanthsamant Member Posts: 8
    I just noticed that there is no 'flap' in the Gas tank inlet of my Corolla (LE, 2004). Is this standard, and have they done away with that, or did they just forget to put one in?
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me how to replace the bulb in the dome light of a 2002 Corolla?

I need to know how to get the plastic cover off without breaking it? (Which way do I push/pull it?)
  • Options
    any corolla ever having one of those flaps over the gas cap...I think that is an American-car thing? Not sure. This is certainly normal for corolla.

• Options
    herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    At least my 1994 Corolla wagon has one -- under the screw-off gas cap in the inlet where you stick the nozzle when refilling. I just unscrewed the gas cap to double-check. In 1994 the wagon was built in Japan.
  • Options
    leo28leo28 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Corolla LE and it is using about 1 qt per 1000 miles. This started at around 65,00 miles (I now have 85,000 on the car). We have been to our dealer a number of times, in fact they had us bring it in once a week for about 2 months so they could change the oil and track the usage. They verified we were burning a qt every 1000 miles and that this was "within the acceptable guidelines" and that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. We have talked to the district rep for Toyota who also indicated this is normal. I find this hard to believe. Has anyone else experienced this type of problem?
  • Options
    laurelmarielaurelmarie Member Posts: 2
    In all fairness to Toyota Canada I have to let you know what they have done for me...Toyota Canada has agreed to buy out my lease from the dealership here in Toronto in order to run tests on the car. The problem as I see it is not with the gas co. it is with the fact that they chose to install a catalytic converter in these new vehicles that will only work without the odour when the sulphur levels in Canadian fuel are lowered in 2003. In order to get this result I wrote a letter to the president of Toyota Canada and the owner of the dealership. Would I buy Toyota again? Probably. When this problem was brought to their attention they did the right thing...you just have to be relentless and not give up.
  • Options
    laksjlaksj Member Posts: 19
    I've recently discovered a dime-sized area in my 2003 Corolla windscreen that's distorted. The distortion is the kind of thing you get in the manufaturing process of (low quality) glass products and was not caused by a stones or other road debris.

My question is whether anyone else had the same problem and whether this kind of problems justifies asking for the windscreen to be replaced under warranty. Also, will this defect undermine the windscreen longevity/durability/resistance to breakage?

Any feed back is appreciated.
  • Options
    laksjlaksj Member Posts: 19
    I've recently discovered a dime-sized area in my 2003 Corolla windscreen that's distorted. The distortion is the kind of thing you get in the manufaturing process of (low quality) glass products and was not caused by a stones or other road debris.

My question is whether anyone else had the same problem and whether this kind of problems justifies asking for the windscreen to be replaced under warranty. Also, will this defect undermine the windscreen longevity/durability/resistance to breakage?

Any feed back is appreciated.
  • Options
    rxsorentrxsorent Member Posts: 10
    Spie, I had that same problem with my 2003 Corolla when I started using the air conditioning again after this winter. I believe they call that icing which could be related to a number of different things like the coil, filter, etc. I tried to get it to do the same thing a second time but it wouldn't do it. I did notice after the first time that alot of water drained out of the drain plug after about 20 minutes which makes me believe the the drain hole could have been clogged. Please let me know what you find out that caused yours in case I experience it again. Thanks
  • Options
    rxsorentrxsorent Member Posts: 10
    I have owned my 2003 Corolla a little over a year now where I still experience the longer cranking (5 to 7 times on starter) before the engine turns over after it has run about a couple miles and you have turned the engine off and then turned it back on again. My wife owns a 2001 corolla and hers seem to turn on right away when starting it. Has anybody else experience this with the 2003 Corolla.
  • Options
    spiespie Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone had trouble with their 2003 corolla air conditioner? I have had my car for a little over a year and the air conditioner blower shuts off at irregular intervals.
  • Options
    my Matrix (same engine) cranks 5 to 7 times before firing every time, not just at specific engine temperatures! While I am not that fond of that, it does have the advantage that it gets the oil circulating before that initial fire-off when the engine revs jump to 1500+.

I am amazed at laurelmarie's experience - I guess persistence pays off! More than that, I hope this means that Toyota is seriously looking for the reason the cars this year run stinky on high-sulfur gas.

leo28: I doubt that 1 qt/1000 miles is "normal" oil consumption for an 85K corolla - but it might be within acceptable parameters in the "mind of Toyota". I know that it would be for most other manufacturers.

• Options
    I thought they meant one of those big rubber flaps over the top of the gas cap (behind the gas door) that many American cars have. No corolla has ever had that.

Are you saying that the return prevention flap in your filler nozzle is not metal, but rubber? I am surprised.

laksj - doesn't your corolla just have PPG glass? You can tell by looking at the insignia at the edge of the glass. PPG is a high-quality manufacturer, and they make glass for everybody...I don't think this distorted area will have any impact on longevity, but if it is right in your line of sight, I will bet they will replace it under warranty - a service advisor would be the best one to consult for the answer to that last question.