Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Difficult to start in the winter.

ben2001sam1ben2001sam1 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Nissan
I drive a nissan maxima 1995 which drives very well once started.It is okay in the summer,but during the winter it gets very stubborn.Three different mechanics checked and they couldn't fix it.They changed the starter,knock sensor and cold start.the problem still the same.Tune ups and oil changes are done right on time.Nothing seems to work.I would appreciate all suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Coolant temp sensor?
  • Options
    jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    Does the engine spin slow?
    Does it crank over at normal speed for long periods before starting?
    Does it happen every time you start the car or only after sitting overnight?
    When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
    Have you tried fuel system antifreeze?
    If you have water in the fuel it can start to crystallize and that causes starting problems. There is stuff you can get from a boating supply store that "traps" water in a "shell" then lets it pass through your engine w/o harming anything.

In the winter I try not to empty out my gas tank before refilling to prevent condensation, but they say with modern plastic tanks that is not a problem. Call me old fashioned, but I have never had any problem filling up with condensation. I fill up when I get down to half tank. You fill up more often, but I have never had a starting problem.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sometimes synthetic oil helps the starter to spin the engine over faster in cold weather. Takes a lot of amps to churn a crankshaft through cold oil.
  • Options
    swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    the car starts great, but I don't.

on a 1995, I think you're about due for a tune-up and scoping if necessary. eroding the spark plug gaps for six years, plus a few breaks in the plug wires to reduce the spark voltage, means wimpy spark and yet another reason for an engine to not want to start.

has all the other maintenance been kept up? if not, start catching up... air filter, oil changes, that sort of thing. makes a difference, and unless you drive 200 miles in a stretch once you turn the key, you are probably a "severe service" driver, and need to do things twice as often as the salesman said when you bought the car.
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    just wondering....

how's the battery doing?

Maybe due to age, the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) isn't enough anymore.
  • Options
    swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    but if it's cranking at the same speed as in the golden warmth of summer, it's probably got plenty of voltage at the terminals to run the engine computer.
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    YOu should be concerned about the CCA, which is the amps, or current.

Many shops can test the battery to see its condition.
This discussion has been closed.