Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    The next Deville will not be the S-class fighter Lutz wanted it to be. It will be redesgined on the current G-body, and it will cater to the older buyers. A true A8 type will come in 2008/09 on a new RWD platform, which may be shared with a Sixteen of some type.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    it needs to remain a volume FWD car to appease the market that currently buys the car and to have at least one Caddy that will sell in cold weather climates. The blue hair crowd buys lexus' not Mercedes S classes. And honestly, most of Caddy's clientele will buy anything with a Caddy logo on it anyways.

I would add Caddy should get off its cheap butt and develop an AWD sedan.
  • I don't see any advantages at all in going with FWD. Any advantage it once had in snow/ice has been eliminated, traction control and stability control evened the playing field between FWD and RWD. You think all those devoted 60+ Deville buyers will care if they make the move to RWD as long as it rides/drives the same? Half of them probably don't even know that the current one is FWD. If people feel that the Caddy sedans aren't safe in the snow, (which I'm sure they are and even if they're not convinced, get off their lazy butts and get snow tires), thats what the AWD SRX and Escalade are for. Car enthusiasts often refer to FWD as wrong-wheel drive, and for a good reason. Everything is wrong with it.

But on a side note, regfootball you're right, AWD would solve all of this =)
    all the geezers in the midwest buy devilles because they are FWD......

trac and stab cntrl help some but are no substitute for FWD....trust me...I was a diehard RWD fan, but I got converted. I even did the snow tires thing. It helps a ton. But FWD w/ snow tires is even better.....

and regular non car people are too lazy and too dumb to latch on to the snow tires thing. especially when they expect a 60,000 dollar vehicle should not need anything extra to make it drivable.

why do you think the Lexus ES300 is popular? SNOW! Gotta have one Lexus with FWD for the masses.

An older lady in church who is in real estate bought a new IS300 when it came out. She wanted a Lexus so bad.....and she had no clue what was up with RWD.....after 6 months she had traded it for an ES.....couldn't drive it in winter......

people like that need FWD.

And yes, I feel for the price they are asking just go AWD standard. that would solve everything.
  • arennarenn Posts: 35
    The main problem I see with a "traditional" DTS is not the vehicle per se, but the dealers. Go to almost any Cadillac dealer today and 50% of the cars on the lot are DeVille's. If Caddy really wants to change its image, it can't have it's new school cars hidden behind three rows of existing DeVille's. It will kill the brand.
  • I do get sick of "Car people" who talk as if anyone over 60 is 'mindless, clueless and irrelevant'. My parents know a lot about cars and are far from the nasty desriptions above, and not all seniors drive 'old' style cars. Yes, there are "car enthusiasts" over 60!

FWD isn't "All wrong". For economy, basic use/point A to point B driving, it is suitable. Nobody slams Lexus for offering a FWD enrty car.
  • Well I suppose FWD isn't "all" wrong, but the problem is that we aren't dealing with basic, economy point A to point B driving. The car of discussion here is a full size luxury sedan where poor weight distribution (and therefore poor handling), torque steer and other issues are not acceptable.
  • Well, if the DTS is RWD, it should offer the same price point as today.
    none of Audi's cars are RWD. Many Audis are sold FWD only. Doesn't hurt them.

DTS could be FWD but offered with AWD.

Domestics ahve always been so afraid to offer AWD cars...I am sure there's always a zillion EXCUSES for not doing so.
  • Actually... The A4, A6 and TT are FWD only when you purchase the base model. Anyone even slightly performance oriented opts for the AWD model. This is acceptable on the smaller cars.

Notice they don't have a FWD A8. I guess they decided FWD wasn't appropriate for a car of that size/class.
  • My understanding is that the name DTS and RWD are a "done deal" when the "Deville" gets its major makeover.Here are my thougths as to what would be best for Cadillac to do. #1 Keep the name "Deville" and FWD for the "base model", you've got to crank out units to make a profit and the base car is good enough (it you start incorporating some of the DHS AND DTS technology) for the traditional Cadillac "older " buyer and with minor changes you save millions. For the rest of us have seperate model DTS with RWD and possibly an optional supercharged Northstar, around 400 hp or so . Eventually, yes, you will phase out the "Deville" as we know it now, but i think there is alot of sales left in the vheicle. The RWD DTS can move Cadillac forward but you cant drop your customer base (dance with who brung ya). The Seville STS as more of a "Merecedes fighter",,, sure why not, just keep the price down enough to make it an attractive option. Elvis
    Whoops, I've been ignoring this topic. The DTS will be redesigned on its current FWD G-body platform, with a new exterior and significantly upgraded interior. It will probably remain in its current price bracket, which means ~$45-55k. It is still unclear whether it will go for the edgy Art & Science look, or a softened look that Lutz is partial to. Given Lutz's dislike for A&S, and Cadillac's desire to retain its current older buyers for the DTS, it wil probably be softened up.
  • Frankly, I don't see what is so wrong with FWD. The car reviewers loved FWD back in the '70's. The 2005 base DTS or Deville should have a decent radio. The one in my Chevy Malibu is much better than the one in my base '03 Deville "Program Car". If I had bought it new, I would have definately gotten the Bose radio. I would think that the top of the line GM automobile would have a radio with the features of the one they put in a Chevy -RDS, tone choices, volume tied to speed, etc etc.
    I think people will complain that it's on the same platform, rather than complain it's FWD.
  • I think the platform is great. The car rides very well and is a size that fits in a normal garage. The engine is audible when accelerating but that's the only noise. You can't hear the engine in many cars because of the wind and road noise. It is the nicest looking Cadillac since the 1965-6 models a really pretty design. I wanted one from the time that the 2000's came out and finally got one. I've had it a month and no problems at all. Drives and looks like a brand new one.
    I know the G-body is good, but the press always clamors for change for the sake of change.
  • What amuses me -speaking about the press - is Motor Trend's "Car of the Year". I remember that one year (I think it was '71), the Car of the Year was the Vega. The automotive press never
    really liked the Cadillac -not even the present DeVille -which is light years better than anything I've driven to date. I guess I must be getting old - I went through the English phase (Jag Mk X), Japanese phase (a couple of Celicas) and the German phase(Audi 5000S). The press loved the Audi 5000S up until the unintended acceleration bit that destroyed the resale value of this car - unfortunately I'd bought one a month before. My '86 Audi lived at the dealership with all sorts of electronic problems and I managed to dump it 1,000 miles before the 50k warranty was up. The Buick place wouldn't even take it on trade. So much for the automobile press. Can't wait to see the new DTS but will keep my 2003 in any case as a second car.
  • Hey dispencer1 - looks like you're new here. Welcome to Town Hall!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Thanks very much for the welcome. I have a 2003 base Deville (ex Alamo rental car) that I purchased from Denny Thomson at Frank Kent Cadillac, Ft. Worth, TX. in January. This is a great dealership and Denny is a Cadillac buff with sales stuff back to the '60's in his collection. I'll never deal with anyone else.
    I've had a couple of classic Cadillacs back in the '60's (a 1940 Model 62 and a '47 Fleetwood Model 60) plus a 1959 Model 62, a '72 Eldorado coupe, and a 1988 Fleetwood. The 2003 beats all of them hands down. Looking forward to getting a 2000-2002 Eldorado next as a second car till I can afford an XLR.
  • hydra2hydra2 Posts: 114
    Who knows? I do wonder how many of the posters demanding rwd own or would even consider buying a cadillac? Like it or not, lots of snowbelt drivers will not buy rwd cars. AWD cars, sans subaru, have always had low sales numbers. I suspect that if Cadillac abandons the fwd market, the asians will happily step in and service such a large and lucrative market. Backing into a garrage at a 90 degree angle in deep snow is much easier with fwd than rwd. That's one reason many town car owners in my block have switched to devilles. A Lincloln LS driver spun out in front of me yesterday making a right turn onto Lake Shore Drive.

If I had to replace my 2002 DTS, I would not look at any rwd, not even the bmw or cts.

I would look first at the Acura TL. That is the car Cadillac needs to compete against. A dumpy fwd car won't cut the mustard in today's competetive market place. Cadillac needs to make good front wheel drive cars that perform well and are reliable and moderately priced like the TL (and good rwd cars like the cts). And if it also burns regular gas....