Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Amanti 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Well, the reasons it would never be a Toyota here is that nobody is willing to pay the price of a luxury car in a car more luxurious and almost equally sporty as the GS as a Toyota!! The Crown Concept (on the Toyota website) is the Crown Concept from the one in Japan. It's probably there to showcase what they can achieve. All the luxurious Toyotas in Japan are here as Lexuses (Aristo=GS, Celsior=LS, Land Cruiser Prado=GX, Land Cruiser 100=LX, Windom=ES, Altezza=IS, Harrier, RX). It probably would make more sense to have the Crown as a Lexus.
  • and please......continue with the Amanti!
  • AAMOF stands for "As A Matter Of Fact". Sounds like feelings about the mundane Honda Civic styling are shared by pert-near all of us in the Kia Amanti thread on Edmunds.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• in Marysville, CA. It was the first Amanti in No Cal, to my knowledge. Anyway, I was very impressed with the build quality and ride. It is extremely quiet. Keep in mind I got ansy and took a test drive in an 04' Maxima on Weds, so I'm kinda comparing. The Amanti does not accelerate like the Maxima (which downright scared me getting onto the freeway, that thing is a rocket), but has more than ample acceleration, better than my girlfriend's Focus or my company car (o3' Astro). The Amanti takes road bumps better than any car I have ever been in. It is, like I said, very quiet. The horsepower is rated at 200, which is adequate for the target market. The Maxima is more of a sport/luxury car, whereas the Amanti is more just luxury. I can't coment on a lot of the extras, because the car I drove was a basic model (no leather, no trip monitor,) but it did come with standard abs, 8 different air bags, and power front seats, 8 way driver and 4 way passenger, I think). I'm no expert, but I can say the fit and finish of this car far exceeds that of comparable domestics. I might take an Avalon for a spin just to compare. Oh, and I might add I was very impressed with the tranny also. One of the smoothest shifting I have been in also. It has a "shiftronic" mode, but I didn't try it, it just seems out of place in a luxury car. Anyway, for what it's worth, that's my take. When I get a chance, I'll drive a loaded Amanti and let you guys know how it compares to a Avalon
  • ACCENTACCENT Posts: 10
    I also looked at one last night, didn't have a chance to test drive it. The one I looked at and sat in was a fully loaded model, white peal in color. Build quality and paint quality are excellent, very nice attention to detail, very impressed. The XG350 is nice, but does not compare to the new Amanti. If Kia markets this car right, they should have a hit on their hands..
    Good job Kia!!
  • I drove a loaded, Mac daddy Amanti today. Wow was I impressed. The leather is soft and comfortable, it has a nice feel to everything, I love the power windows with the auto down and UP feature. The rear view mirrors rotated downward when put in reverse. I agree, it does not accelerate as fast as a Maxima, but it feels just fine. The transmission is so smooth. I hope this car sells well for KIA. People should really give this car a look. I don't think anyone would be disappointed.
  • new luxury sedan Amanti! So far it sounds like it's living up to what Kia advertised it to be. Keep 'em coming!

• I've already seen the written magazine ads, when will the TV ads begin?
  • for Amanti, it's been out at dealers for several weeks now, eh?

• to gather the Amanti advertising information. Here it is:

Kia Rewrites the Rules for the Marketing Launch of Amanti
    Advertising Campaign Unveils Kia’s New Large Sedan
    and Introduces Kia Brand to a New Consumer
    IRVINE, Calif., December 22, 2003 - Where is it written that a big car has to be boring? That’s the question asked by Kia Motors America in a new integrated advertising campaign from independent ad agency davidandgoliath supporting the launch of the Amanti, Kia’s first entry into the large sedan segment.

The broadcast break of the advertising campaign for Amanti, which launches on Dec. 26, is part of a broader sales, marketing and public relations push which also includes a cross-country mall tour and grassroots initiative.

"Kia is confidently entering a segment where it’s never played before, and doing so with a car that appeals to an audience that has never considered the brand before," said Wally Anderson, vice president of marketing communications. “Over the years, Kia has found its place in the automotive marketplace. With Amanti, Kia is showing that the brand has not only grown, but it has matured, and we believe the advertising and marketing initiatives reflect that.”

The advertising campaign is designed to make an assertive statement about Kia’s entry into the full-size market, as well as create awareness and drive purchase consideration. It positions the Amanti as a roomy sedan designed to excel in the areas that matter most to mature Boomer car buyers—such as contemporary styling, numerous luxury and advanced safety features and best-in-class warranty—making it not only a great value, but a vehicle they will be proud to own as well.

The TV component of the campaign breaks Dec. 26 with a teaser spot titled “Intro” that shows sleek tracking shots of the Amanti racing across the desert as on-screen graphics ask viewers whether what they are looking at is a luxury import—or even if it is a luxury car at all.

“Intro” is followed up by an even more visually striking commercial that makes a bold statement for the Kia brand. “Books,” breaking in early January, represents a new look and feel for Kia advertising. Shot on an expansive desert set in California, the ad highlights the new 2004 Amanti as it negotiates its way around an obstacle course of monolithic, building-sized textbooks. Old and worn, they represent the archaic rules that have hamstrung the full size automotive category for years. As the Amanti blows past and the books tumble to the desert floor in its wake, the voiceover asks, “Where is it written that luxury is only for the few? If it is written somewhere, we couldn’t find it.”

Print ads for Amanti that capture the same iconic imagery will break in January editions of such consumer publications as Time, Newsweek, USA Today, Money and Southern Living, as well as in the car enthusiast titles Car and Driver, Road and Track, Motor Trend and Automobile.

“We chose the ‘books’ metaphor because we see the Amanti as throwing out the old rules for big cars and writing its own, in terms of what these cars should look like and who they’re targeted to," said davidandgoliath Chairman and Chief Creative Office David Angelo. "In the process, Kia is bringing a breath of fresh air to a rather staid category with the Amanti and we believe our research shows that we have done just that with this new campaign."

Retailing at around $25,000, the Amanti comes equipped with a wide range of features usually found on cars costing much more, including a 3.5L V6 engine with 5-speed automatic. Amanti also comes with a level of safety features normally reserved for performance imports costing much more, including dual front airbags, front and rear side airbags side curtain airbags, front active headrests and ABS. It also comes with a 10 year/100K mile warranty with five-year roadside assistance.

Target buyers for Amanti hold professional or managerial jobs and are in their mid-forties to late-fifties and want a stylish large sedan. Most buyers in the target demographic group have never considered a Kia vehicle before, but as the leading edge of the baby boomers, many have owned international brands and they appreciate great value.

The Amanti is the newest addition to the growing Kia product range and the most recent fulfillment of the company’s plans to reach out to a broader spectrum of American consumers. With its distinctive styling and impressive list of standard equipment, the Amanti will attract new, more affluent customers to the Kia brand, and will also continue to evolve the automaker’s image from that of a small, entry-level manufacturer to a company offering consumers value, quality and safety in a full product range.

The 2004 Kia Amanti debuts at Kia retail showrooms throughout the United States in December 2003. Kia Motors America is the U.S. sales, marketing and service arm of Kia Motors Corp. in Seoul, South Korea.

About davidandgoliath
    davidandgoliath (dng) is a national full-service independent agency of hand-selected professionals with outstanding creative, media, marketing, account planning, account management, TV and print production capabilities, and an outsourcing network of national and global resources. Founded in November 1999, davidandgoliath is headquartered in Los Angeles with a satellite office in New York City. To learn more about dng, visit www.dngla.com.

Kia Motors America is the U.S. sales, marketing and service arm of Kia Motors Corp. in Seoul, South Korea.

• looking forward to those commercials!!
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Maybe its just because of the zip code I am entering (indicating the Amanti is not yet available in my area)... but can anyone else NOT YET price an Amanti on carsdirect.com???

~alpha
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,618
    I stopped in to my local Kia dealer the other night to try out a Rio (checking on potential cars for #1 Son, but that's another story; since the Kia Rio discussion is shut down, I posted my musings in the "Low End Cars" discussion). I saw an Amanti parked outside and also on the showfloor. I took good look at the Amanti and was quite impressed. The interior was comparable in trim and quality to what you might expect on a high-end Lexus. The exterior was understated and tasteful, somewhat Lincoln-esque on side profile, although the grille is a little overdone I think. The most amazing thing about the car was the price--just over $25k MSRP including destination. The day before I had read Edmunds.com's comparo of V6 family sedans--Accord, Mazda6, Camry etc. Most of those cars stickered for more than the Amanti, with some approaching or even exceeding $30k. The Amanti has much more content than any of those cars. Of course, someone who wants a sharp-handling family sedan will look right past the Amanti to the Mazda6 or Accord, but that's not the Amanti's mission. If buyers can get past the perception of Kia as a "low end" carmaker, they should sell a lot of Amantis if its quality is not just skin-deep.
  • considering the good reliability reports from Optima, Sedona and Sorento owners. Amanti offers a full array of luxury and safety apppointments to compliment it's nifty looks. Can't wait to get a report from somebody who has bought one and posts their opinion on Edmunds-Kia Amanti!

• Shouldn't this forum be in the sedans area now? It really isn't a "FUTURE VEHICLE" anymore..anyways, continue on!
  • rc, good shout. I overlooked this one. I'll see if pat is ready for this discussion over in Sedans!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    ..... It's a wonder they could keep them running long enough to complete the commercials .l.o.l..

$25 grand for a Kia ..? .. you would have to be drug induced to even consider it, give them 6/8 months and you will be able to buy them for mid teens ...

Terry.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The best forecast may be the current XG350. A local no-haggle dealer has 16 in stock, prices range from $21,695 to $22,556. Not one of the 16 is less than 20 grand.

That's for an older model that is also smaller, less powerful, and has fewer features. So the best forecast would be the Amanti coming in at a slightly higher price than the XG.

Given your position perhaps you're thinking of wholesale/auction prices on used models, that's a different story.

-juice
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,618
    Have you seen the Amanti? Driven it? What were your impressions? Do you have some inside information about its design and construction that leads you to believe that it won't hold up and continue the trend towards improved quality that Kia started with the Sedona and Sorento? Once the inevitable rebates and discounts come into play and a new Amanti is available for the low $20s, what do you think about the value equation then, compared to other cars in that price range?
  • compared to ALL the rest in it's class. Anybody patient enough to go to Kia's microsite and actually READ all of the information will see that Kia's Amanti offers WAY MORE THAN ANY OTHER MANUFACTURER'S CAR IN THIS CLASS. EASILY. As my buddy Sam Elliott likes to say, "Nuff said." Amanti blows them all CLEANLY outta da water. Oh, yeah, nuff said. Nuff said.
        Stupid comments about "keeping them running long enough" are running scared comments. Sit back, pop open a Diet Sunkist and enjoy the view as the Hyundai-Kia machine climbs comfortably up into being one of the world's Top 5 automakers by 2010. Nuff said.