Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

4Runner V6 Engine Noise

gsj3gsj3 Member Posts: 20
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Hello motorheads, it was suggested that I try asking this question here. I was wondering if anyone knew if the new V6 in the 2003 4Runner is shared by any other Toyota vehicle. I am trying to get to the bottom of this noisy valvetrain clicking/clacking noise when vehicle is under load. This noise is especially noticable when vehicle is driven next to a wall or cement highway divider. If this new engine is shared in any other Toyota, perhaps I could go to those Edmund's discussions and get valuable info.
Also, even if this engine is exclusive to the new 4Runner, would any of you have suggestions for this repair, since Toyota has been unable to resolve this issue with myself and others.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    johnmeijohnmei Member Posts: 44
    I am trying to decide between a Tundra and a 4Runner. Like the dash, state of the art 4 runner goodies, and particularly the V6 gas mileage. However, I clearly noticed a whirling noise underneath with the windows closed, possibly near the engine, or transmission. Definitely noticeable. The Gen. Sales Manager said he has noticed this noise for several months on all the 2003 4 Runners he has driven. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it your typical first year production "bug"?
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the V-6 in the '03 Runner is unique - not used in any other Toyota model...so I think info-sharing with other models is out...sorry...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    This sounds like an exhaust leak perhaps. If you are hearing valve noise against a highway barrier wall, you would certainly hear it when idling with the hood up, and thereby easily identify the issue.

The only other thing that I can think of is that the engine is "pinging" under load, which is a really bad thing if it is loud and persistent.
  • Options
    terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    the noise is from the manifold. They made it thin to save weight but it is louder so you can hear the sound- especially under acceleration. It is not harmful in any way.
    I heard a rumor that they were going to make the mainifold thicker next year to quiet it down.

I've never heard of the whirling noise. I don't hear anything like that with the windows closed or open.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    So you mean you are hearing the exhaust pulses through the thin manifolding?
  • Options
    terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    I'm not a mechanic so I can't tell you details. I wish I could post a link to a Toyota 4Runner forum that has a long, detailed discussion on the noise.

Personally, I don't find anything objectionable. By far, it sounds alot quieter than any other truck I've ever owned.
  • Options
    meyersejmeyersej Member Posts: 13
    I test drove several different V6 4Runners before I bought my V8 Sport. Some made the sound, some didn't. I didn't want to take a chance that it would develop later so I went for the V8. The fuel economy wasn't really that much lower and for me, the additional torque and smoothness more than offset the slight mileage penalty.
This discussion has been closed.