Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Prius

Comments

• Options
    libbihoundlibbihound Member Posts: 1
    2006 Prius option codes, package contents and exterior/interior color combinations. Please note that each of the twelve Toyota regions are able to order any, all or none of the packages.

FE- 50 State Emissions, Included w/All Packages

GY #1- Driver and Passenger Side and Curtain Airbags (your basic TRAC car)

HE #2- Rear Camera, AM/FM CD 6 Speakers & MP3, Smart Key System

HF #3- RC, AM/FM etc., SKS, All the airbags

HG #4- Vehicle Stability Control, RC, AM/FM etc., SKS, All the airbags

HI #5- VSC, RC, JBL AM/FM, CD Changer, 9 Speakers, Bluetooth & MP3, SKS, Security Alarm & Homelink, All the airbags

HK #6- VSC, HID's, RC, JBL etc., SKS, Alarm & HL, All the airbags, Front Fog & Driving Lamps

NL #7- VSC, HID's, RC, JBL etc., SKS, Alarm & HL, All the airbags, Navi, Fog & Driving Lamps

NW #8- VSC, HID's, RC, JBL etc., Natural Leather Seating Material, SKS, Alarm & HL, All the airbags, Navi, Fog & Driving Lamps

Exterior/Interior Colors- Super White (040) G/B, Classic Silver Metallic (1F7) G/G, Magnetic Grey (1G3) available w/04/06 production G/G, Black (202) G/B, Barcelona Red Metallic (3R3) G/B, Driftwood Pearl (4S2) B/B, Silver Pine Mica (6U0) G/B, Seaside Pearl (8S2) G/B. The G or B indicate the interior colors (Gray or Beige) that will be available for either the cloth or leather. G/B means Grey or Beige is available for both, G/G is Grey only for both, B/B is Beige only for both.
  • Options
    dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    I was considering buying a used 2002 Prius with 20,000 miles for $15k. I wanted to know:
    - If there's any discussion on this board on purchasing used Hybrids.
    - What are some important things to look out for.
    - How long the battery warranty on the '02 model is.
    - If the warranty is transferrable.
    - Also can anyone give some pointers on "things" to check out when buying a used Prius.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    You're better of trying to find a used 04 or newer. And 02 for 15k is quite high. I personally would stay away from any pre 04 Prius. The difference between the old and new model is astounding. If you are dead set on getting the 02, I'd insist on an extended warranty from the dealer.
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    What will real-world mileage be like? Honda says the Civic Hybrid now gets about 43.6 mpg in everyday driving - and in their tests that aces the Prius, which they claim gets about 42.5 mpg.

Portion of paragraph from the article below:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?DID=RSS&n=274&sid=274&article=9178
  • Options
    Not according to Greenhybrid, Car and Driver, Edmunds, Consumer Reports. The Prius always gets better mileage than the Civic, but not by much. I realize they are speaking about the 06, but it still is not better than the Prius. Don't forget, no flip down rear seats, back seat room still less than the Prius. No stability control. Even if the Civic was 1 or 2 mpg better I'd still get the Prius. No electric A/C was mentioned either. Have to admit that the new Civic is much nicer looking than the previous model.
  • Options
    sinepmansinepman Member Posts: 137
    I read another nice report on the Civic too. I believe in real world driving the differences are negligible. I like the fact that the Prius can stealth up to 42mph. The Civic can't do that. Lastly, we're forgetting one big thing. The Prius has a $3150 tax credit. The Civic has nearly $1000 LESS. For a 1 mpg difference you can sure buy a lot of gas with the tax credit savings! The Insight is still the reining champion in the mileage department. For me, I'd still get the Prius. Way too many advantages in my book. Think hatch!!
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    The new 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid has better mileage specs than previous years and now it will beat the Prius in mileage.

It seems as if Prius has stood still since they introduced this generation hybrid in 2004.

YMMV,

MidCow
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Prius: 60/51 EPA
    '06 HCH: 50/50 EPA

I'm not convinced the new HCH will beat the Prius in mpg, especially if the driving pattern favors city/suburban driving. On the highway, it should be really close.

As for "standing still", the current-generation Prius has been out for less than two years and has been selling like hotcakes during that time, pushing Toyota's ability to keep up with demand. What was Toyota's incentive for making changes? Still, they have made some changes for '06, e.g. responding to customer requests for a leather interior.
  • Options
    I have to agree. I think that when Toyota releases their next gen Prius in 07 or 08 it will be catch up time for all the other manufacturers.
  • Options
    '06 HCH: 50/50 EPA

That is only the EPA on the automatic CVT. The manual numbers for the Civic Hybribd have not been published, But in the past the manual was 2-5 mpg higher, my guess is 50, 55.

However, from an independent testing the HCH CVT had a better overall mileage than there Prius test. That is what started this discussion.

It seems that the Prius does not meet its EPA numbers as well as the Honda Civic hybrid does.

YMMV,

MidCow
  • Options
    The EPA numbers for the manual-tranny '06 HCH won't be published because there will be no such thing. And there has been so little real-world experience with the new HCH (just a few test drives by journalists) that maybe we should wait for real real-world experience before jumping to conclusions on how well it meets EPA numbers or compares to the Prius. The IMA drive in the new HCH has been redesigned from prior years.

Anyway, this would be a good discussion for the Prius vs. HCH vs. ... discussion, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    Who cares? Most of the people I know get 48-52 with their Prius. I happen to be on a list for the 06 Prius. Even if the Civic was better, I still wouldn't get it. It doesn't have any utility at all. It is sharp looking though. Imagine, it looks more like the old BMW 3 series, BUT with one important thing. It will be more reliable!! :):)
  • Options
    sahsah Member Posts: 1
    There is a dealership in the valley that claims, according to LA Times article, that they never mark up the prices. They have nothing in stock but at least you won't get gouged if you order from them.
  • Options
    gentadventurergentadventurer Member Posts: 4
    The HOV lane sticker shortage is overblown. California does not have that many hybrids on the road yet, so stickers should be available well into next year. Additionally, the stickers are for qualifying hybrids, not any old hybrid. See this LA Times article for details.
  • Options
    Falcone,

I agree with you , but I don't think you meant to say what you did ... That the Civic Hybrid is more reliable than the Prius.
    Reread your long sentence, Falconone said: " Even if the Civic was better, I still wouldn't get it. It doesn't have any utility at all. It is sharp looking though. Imagine, it looks more like the old BMW 3 series, BUT with one important thing. It will be more reliable!! "

In the sentence "It will be more reliable" as written It is the Civic Hybrid :)

Cheers,

MidCow
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    This one if for discussion of the Prius. if you want to get into comparisons, Hybrids: Toyota Prius vs. Honda Civic Hybrid v. Honda Insight v. ?
    would be a more approriate place to do so.
  • Options
    Sorry midcow.. I meant the new 06 HCH looks like the previous 3 series. I am stating that someone can buy this sharp looking HCH and have a Bimmer look a like with Honda reliability. BMW reliability has not been too good lately.
  • Options
    railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    After 2 yrs with my '04 Prius its time again to mention some things that I think could improve this "special" hybrid car.
    1) Vent controls could be better..(the adjustors are awkward)
    2) Rr View Mirror needs to be higher..(blocks right side view @ innersections & the like)
    3)Better tires should be stock
    4)Trailoring of lite weights couldn't hurt anything
    5)Obviously alternate interiors & materials (come on Toyota)
    6)Difficulty cleaning huge dash
    7)Controls on steering wheel for fan speeds
    8)Future add-on battery opt. to improve MPG's (an optional accessory in the future possibly a plug in deal)
    9) Sun Roof (why not?) ..Or...A Convertable?
    10)Adjustable cup holders (to handle various size cups)
    TOYOTA...ARE YOU LISTENING?

Railroadjames(Friends Don't Let Friends Drive SUVS) :shades:
  • Options
    kentmoonkentmoon Member Posts: 44
    It is impossible to find the car in CA since the carpool law has passed. Any one try to buy a car from AZ or NV into California? DMV Information said that car has to be Ca Certified. Anyone has experience in this?
  • Options
    Sunroofs add weight--convertibles add a lot of weight. Kiss that great mpg goodbye! :(

For the dash--how about buying a mop and cutting off part of the handle? Turn it into a giant dash duster. The external styling necessitates the deep dash.
  • Options
    Come on now.....A convertible wouldn't tax the mpg's more than 4-5 miles. As to the dash, I understand the design but why not a less obvious dust collector color or something like that.
    Anybody else see improvements to list????
    Railroadjames( Want World Peace...Use Your Turn-Signal)
  • Options
    JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Well if he really wants one and you do too, what's the holdup? Just tell him "he deserves it" and that you think it's a really wise decision.
  • Options
    rpgolferrpgolfer Member Posts: 157
    Hi gang,
    I've seen solar panels advertised for charging your car batt through a plug connected to the lighter. Even though the "power port" (aka lighter receptacle) doesn't operate with the ignition or acc off, could a solar power panel save fuel by keeping the batt bank charged when not in use? Or even with the engine running, could it charge the batts without overcharging? If it could that could save a lot of fuel. Sometimes the engine comes on for recharging and other times for power boost.
    Thanks,
    Rich
  • Options
    Being a novice, I too am curious as to what you ask. It has sensible bearing on recharging aspects. I think that even tho I agree with its symantics I have a feeling that the solar effects of recharging amounts are probably nominal and I'm curious also as to which battery the panels would contribute to. Just a thought.
    I'm actually more curious as to the possibility of a series of special batteries that have already been tried to enhance the battery sys. I'm hoping there will be an accessory opt. available in due time (at a reasonable cost) to jack the mpg's up to 150 or there abouts. Wow!!! It even sounds fantastic!! Seriously I think that my last idea (altho not mine) makes for a better hybrid. I hope someone with more electric knowledge can add to your thoughts Rich.
    Railroadjames(Friends Don't Let Friends Drive DUMMERS...I mean HUMMERS)
    P.S. Your Prius Does a good job with golf clubs right?
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    anyone experience this? after reading about it from a couple of sources, i went to the nhtsa site, and sure enough they were there. my sister has a priius and i'm not sure if i should mention this to her. i don't want her to go into a panic.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    You should mention it to her. This way you can help prevent any mishap. You should also mention to her about the 3.8 million Fords that were recalled. Unfortunately 3 deaths were related to that. So far no one has been hurt with a stalling Prius.
  • Options
    Hi gang,
    Thanks for the the input railroadjames. My golf clubs rarely leave the rear compartment. As a matter of fact, I took them out to a golf course nearby just today.
    I've been getting quite a few smudges in my tan interior. How do you guys clean these smudges? Is there a mild enough solution to get the smudges totally out of the fabric. I really like the fabric but I must be a clutz when I lay the seats down 'cause everytime I'm left with a "souvenir".
    Thanks,
    Rich
  • Options
    ironmongerironmonger Member Posts: 2
    Not to join in the fray re hybrids in general, and the report that I get from the only Prius owner that I know is 42 mpg on average for her driving, the use of solar cells for recharging any battery is only apropriate if you have no access to power mains or are out of gas. While solar energy for heating is a viable technology, photvoltaic cells currently (pun...) use more energy to to create them than they can ever supply through out their useful electrical life.
    Check out Don Lancaster in the 'Guru's Lair http://www.tinaja.com/libry01.asp#sampler and view the "Some Energy Fundamentals" pdf.
    This also punches some holes in the Hydrogen mania.
    I don't dislike the hybrid concept, I would favor an all electric car for short haul local driving, but Dons' article points out the need to consider not only the replacement costs (my thought) of the battery pack, but the energy cost of the entire concept (Dons' thought).
    I sure don't have the answers, but I am hopeful... :confuse:
  • Options
    Thanks for the input (ironmonger). I'm beginning to think tho that we're on a threshhold of better designs of electrics and other power modes (be they ICE or otherwise. I have to say that I marvel at the smooth operation of my Prius and its 2 modes of power. They work well together. It should be interesting to see whats around the corner with technology's improvements.
    Railroadjames :shades:
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "anyone experience this? after reading about it from a couple of sources, i went to the nhtsa site, and sure enough they were there. my sister has a priius and i'm not sure if i should mention this to her. i don't want her to go into a panic."

Check out the Prius Software Problems forum. There is a lot of info there. We haven't had anyone report anything new in that forum lately, though there has been some action on the NHTSB site. However, it is unknown if those models had received all the latest software updates.
  • Options
    since my sister doesn't have a ford, i don't know why she would care about those recalls. based on some other posts, i guess it's a real issue. i'm just trying to be careful about mentioning it. she got it last november, so it maybe it's an '05.
  • Options
    I mentioned that for a reason, but you did not understand my inference. In the Ford recall there were 3 unfortunate deaths related to the nature of the recall. Why would you even hesitate to mention a safety related issue to your sister? If I were you, I'd get on the phone NOW and tell her. My brother-in-law owns a Prius (my sister doesn't drive it), and as soon as I heard about the software issues, I mentioned it to him. Your post is quite confusing and troubling to me. Don't take chances with anyone's life.
  • Options
    john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    Not having the update was the problem. If all updates have already been applied, there is no need to worry about. Of course, even if it did stall you could keep driving using electricity for long enough to pull over to a safe place to stop.

JOHN
  • Options
    john,
    thankyou, that's the kind of reply i was hoping to get.
  • Options
    tessar1tessar1 Member Posts: 4
    Is MSRP the best price a buyer can expect in the San Francisco Bay Area? How about dealers to the east in the central valley? The dealer nearest my home will take MSRP with a $1000 depost and 90 day wait.
  • Options
    angeline1angeline1 Member Posts: 2
    Went to a So Cal dealership knowing the average price sold for this area for Prius (22K). Dealer wouldn't come down below 26K. And this was for an '05. No sale for me! I guess they think they can get someone to pay that much. I would have thought they would want to get rid of their '05!
  • Options
    zacharyazacharya Member Posts: 71
    Are you joking? I am sorry to inform you but there will be NO deals (very limited if at all) on hybrids in general. The old law of supply and demand. Have a look at the Corolla, it is peppy, gets good mileage and is quite reliable. You can also check out the new Civic hybrid slated for an Oct 5th sale date. It is cheaper than the Prius and very, very attractive. True you lose the hatch versatility, but not everyone may need that. Good luck!!
  • Options
    jfergusjfergus Member Posts: 30
    As I understand it, the Prius model year won't change until later in the year (like November or December). So mod-September is too early for any "clearance" of '05 models. In any case, I don't think Toyota is going to have a problem getting rid of '05 Priuses. Maybe the poorly equipped or demo models will get slight discounts.
  • Options
    dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    Nov 21st is the release date for the 2006 model
  • Options
    Hi gang,
    As I was driving home recently I noticed the large, flat area of the dashboard directly in front of the mph/gear selector display. I was wondering if someone put a small mirror on that flat area would the mph display reflect up onto the windshield offering a "heads-up-display" of a sort? It wouldn't be noticeable during the day but at night it might work. The windshield should reverse the mirror image. I'm still waiting for my decals from DMV to drive in California's HOV lane. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks,
    Rich
  • Options
    sheilahoffsheilahoff Member Posts: 5
    We're getting ready to buy in Seattle. We want an '06. I'm confused if the '05 or the '06 tax credits are better. Maybe a moot point since we might not be able to get it until '06 anyhow. But is there any reason to try to get it in '05 for the tax credit?

Also, if any Seattle area folks here, which dealer do you recommend? Michael's has same month delivery, supposedly, but they markup $3K. Downtown says MSRP but 3 months.

Thanks,
    Sheila
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    sheilahoff,

It's very simple. The tax CREDIT will only be available for vehicles delivered after January 1, 2006.

For vehicles delivered in 2005, the much less lucrative tax DEDUCTION is the only option available.
  • Options
    tessar1tessar1 Member Posts: 4
    Keep in mind that the 2006 tax credit is complex. There are several factors that determine the amount. The credit may be $3150 for a Prius, $600 for an Accord Hybrid, or nothing if you owe Alternative Minimum Tax. As such, a tax deduction of $2000 for 2005 may be more valuable (maybe worth $620 if you are fortunate enough to be in the 31% tax bracket without being subject to deduction reduction due to AMT). A tax accountant might be able to figure this out, but surveys of accountants indicate that they seldom agree with each other in complex cases. http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/emotorcons- /emo_confused.gif
    confuse

From the San Francisco Chronical:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/08/18/BUG9EE9ANG1.DTL
  • Options
    boots3boots3 Member Posts: 5
    My wife and I were at our local Toyota dealer the other day and test drove the prius. We loved the car and placed one on order. Delivery time of 6 to 8 weeks. One thing I forgot to ask about was the "B" position on the shifter. What does it do?
  • Options
    eprupiseprupis Member Posts: 30
    It signifies engine braking---equal to a low gear on a standard car. Cruise control does not function when the car is in "B" gear.
  • Options
    danashieldsdanashields Member Posts: 49
    I just sold my fourth Prius. And I don't even work for a Toyota dealership. I just let people sit in mine.

Maybe I should change jobs...
  • Options
    Hehehe... good one! It truly does sell itself. Glad I'm finally part of the club!! Really love the doodads, Navi, etc. I've already sold one, but they're waiting for the 2006. Enjoy it!!
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Has anybody tried, or thought about trying....

Install an onboard genset, say the Honda EU3000, to continuously charge the hybrid batteries and thereby further reduce the times the ICE operates?

I would think a small ( ~4HP genset with good fuel economy could recharge the batteries a lot more economically, fuel wise, than the ICE.
  • Options
    LOL , you need to get with Electrictroy he wants a perpetual energy engine form the regenerative brakes so it will always run on electric power at virtually no cost.

First you have the weight and efficinciy of the genset to contend with. H'mm wait doen't the Prius already have a MG1 that does this function as efficintly as possible? Why yes I believe it does. And fiurhter doesn't MG! also act as a second smaller eletric motor when needed ft ofurther increase the efficinecy? Why yes you are right again.

It mught help the efficiency of Toyota to install a Honda product though? I am notsure Toyota would cover it under their factory warranty though.

Honda EU3000 =

The super quiet Honda EU3000i generator is truly the ultimate in portable power. It runs from 49dB to 58dB at a full load, and features a key start. AC 120v output with 20 and 30 amp receptacles, and features DC output. This unit weighs 143 lbs, and can run for over 20 hrs on a tank of gas at a 25% load!

I am sure adding 143 lbs would be efficient! Let's see a tank of gas is about 3.4 gallons.

If the generator would only run at 6.25% load ( 1/4) then it could go for 80 hours. It the car averages 50 miles an hour then that would be 4,000 miles that would cost 3.4/4000 or ).00085 miles per gallon. So assuming theweight penalty of 143 poundsdidn't offset the supposed savings then the recahrge wouldbe less. LOL.

Good Humor,

MidCow
  • Options
    fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    The manual leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to one touch and phone book. Wondering how much of the Bluetooth phone system actually works while the car is in motion. The one touch screen blanks out the phone numbers when the car is in motion, but pressing the blank space for the number actually calls that number, so one can make calls while the car is in motion using the touch screen, if one remembers which phone number goes with which of the 5 spaces shown on the touch screen. Also, using the actual phone to start the call while the car is moving results in Bluetooth taking over as soon as the first ring happens.

Both of my Bluetooth phones work with the Prius system.