Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Don't you suppose it's so that Hyundai can advertise the Elantra at a low price, "under $14,000"? Probably the same reason they don't make A/C standard on the Accent GS, but I'll bet there are few of them in the U.S. without A/C.
  • Options
    tsgeiseltsgeisel Member Posts: 352
    I don't expect to be trading in my current Elantra when it comes out, but an '07 hatchback in purple would be tempting to me.

I can't help it - I like the idea of a purple car. Just have to watch out for elephants, mistaking me for a grape is all...
  • Options
    danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    I would be certain that is the reason, but from the dealer's side of it, it is difficult to deal with. It just seems to cheapen the image to me. I can hear the customers now, "that doesn't come with air conditioning, that's bait and switch." I'm already bracing for it.
  • Options
    brunojoebrunojoe Member Posts: 22
    I think tomorrow should give us a sign as to when the 2007 will arrive. New aprs and cash backs will appear, if they push the 2006 you know the 2007 will be here asap, bruno
  • Options
    Let's hope so, although rebates have been pretty slim on the old Elantra for awhile now. I think a lot depends on how many are on dealer lots.
  • Options
    My local dealer in Santa Ana calif. #1 in the general area has 32 elantras on the lot as of today, seems to me incentives would be needed soon to dispose of them, also a nearby dealer is telling me nov. 1 for the 2007
  • Options
    herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    I can understand that, danf1. It's annoying to look at a car that seems very well-equipped and then realize it doesn't come with something you take for granted, like A/C. But at least it would be optional -- the fact that the new Civic's base model doesn't even let you add A/C as an *option* is really frustrating.
  • Options
    mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    The trip computer on my Sonata has been pretty accurate.Both in MPG and in Range.
  • Options
    carfaxcarfax Member Posts: 43
    Most of the dealers i have passed in Ontario have 2007 Elantra's on their lots for sale, so they should be showing up in the states very soon. :)
  • Options
    I still wonder why Canada gets them first. I mean, is it more convenient to ship them to Ontario than to places like San Diego, Houston, and New York City? :confuse:
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Not certain but I know this is not the first time Canada received new models ahead of the US market.
  • Options
    mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    I wonder if Hyundai is using Canada as a final proving ground for the 2007 Elantra. I hope not for our Canadian friends, but if there was a recall in the first month or two there would probably be less bad press in Canada than if it happened in the U.S.
  • Options
    They got the 2006 Accent before we did also.
  • Options
    carfaxcarfax Member Posts: 43
    That is probably true because there seems less unsatisfied owners on these boards. Up here very few stick together enough to get things changed for the better. When they raise prices here everyone grumbles and complains, but there isn't any changes. :mad:
  • Options
    doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    I think it's more straightforward than that. Because the Canadian market is a fraction of the U.S. market, it takes fewer cars to prime the pump. Auto production does not involve flipping a switch and the cars pop out; a production line does not go from zero to full production overnight. They probably reach a threshold that supports the Canadian market and go for it. It takes more to support the American market, so it is phased in later.

I doubt it's anything more sinister than that.
  • Options
    well i thought next month would be the jumping off point but no incentives or low aprs to push out the 2006 so now im thinking first of the year. I want this car but sadly hyundai is doing a poor job of launching it in a timely manner of informing the buying public as to why its late
  • Options
    prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    As a former resident of New Brunswick, Canada and also a Hyundai Sonata owner who followed the company, the corporate policy to send new models to Canada first has been around since I was there from 1990-1998. The 07 Elantra was released in Korea(and other markets) about a year before the US launch. It would seem to be a strategic quality move to release it to Canada, which is about the size of the California market, but I am quite sure they have most bugs worked out prior to the Canadian launch.
    Having talked with a dealer friend in NB, Canada, he states that the Elantra is a huge and substantial move forward for the XD platform and that many will be surprised how 'upmarket' the new Elantra looks and feels.
  • Options
    germancarfan1germancarfan1 Member Posts: 221
    "Having talked with a dealer friend in NB, Canada, he states that the Elantra is a huge and substantial move forward for the XD platform and that many will be surprised how 'upmarket' the new Elantra looks and feels."

In other news, Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates was quoted as saying "Windows Vista is a stunning accomplishment."

"but I am quite sure they have most bugs worked out prior to the Canadian launch."

Right, just like Hyundai worked all the bugs out before selling me my 2004 Elantra. I'll pass this news onto my frustrated mechanic.
  • Options
    ronaldo807ronaldo807 Member Posts: 1
    I know that even though this had already been released on here and that this may not be news to some people but Hyundai officially announced the pricing for the 2007 Elantra. Something interesting is that according to the article it says the car will be coming out later this month.

Here is the link: http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/10/09/024444.html
  • Options
    More features and room than a Corolla LE but almost $1600 less--not too shabby! It will be interesting to see what Toyota's response is early next year with the '07 Corolla.

Also that article confirmed that the EPA has certified the fuel economy estimates published earlier by Hyundai - 28/36 for both the MT and AT.

That is good news about cars arriving this month. But I wonder if it will be anything like how Hyundai rolled out the Azera and Accent--one vehicle per store for demos for awhile. I guess we'll soon see.
  • Options
    beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    More features and room than a Corolla LE but almost $1600 less--not too shabby! It will be interesting to see what Toyota's response is early next year with the '07 Corolla.

Based on everything I've been reading recently, Toyota's response won't come until Jan of 2008.
  • Options
    I would be surprised if Toyota went six years in between generations on the Corolla (and I should have said the 2008 Corolla before), but I suppose it's possible. That would make Hyundai (and Honda, Nissan et. al.) very happy.

But back to the Elantra... after reading that article, I am even more sure that the base GLSes (w/o A/C and stereo) will be very hard to find. So the real "base" Elantra will start at about $15.5k--still a good price considering its equipment and room, but quite a bit more than the comparable 2006 model. It will be interesting to see how the market reacts, especially if rebates are scarce early on.
  • Options
    danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    The least expensive Elantra that I have in stock is now $15.5k, so thats not too bad. Of course I don't have any manual transmissions in stock, but its not much of an increase.
  • Options
    Automatic adds $1000 in 2007. But it's hard to compare the 2006 and 2007 prices because the only way to get ABS on the '06s is with a moonroof. So for about $15.5k you could get a '06 GLS with ABS/traction control and moonroof.
  • Options
    prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    'In other news, Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates was quoted as saying "Windows Vista is a stunning accomplishment."

I am not buying a car from him so make your condescending comments to someone else. Why are you here?
  • Options
    He has been here bashing Hyundai non-stop. He continues to claim he has an Elantra and everything has broken down on his car (yet he still has the Elantra for some reason :confuse: ). Ignore him is probably the best response.

Anyway, back on topic. Great pricing - lower price, more features, and arguably a better car than the previous generation.
  • Options
    grutzagrutza Member Posts: 52
    Have any of our friends north of the border have any comments or pictures after seeing it first hand.
  • Options
    dkling2828dkling2828 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys...I have followed your conversations for a while and they have been very helpful - thanks! I do have a question, though. My dealer has told me that traction control will be available on "one of the models" (GLS, SE, LIMITED) but I find no mention of this anywhere. Does anybody know if traction control will be available on any model? I have a 2002 Elantra with almost 86000 miles (brought it brand new - all my miles - ) and (knock on wood) I have had no problems with it. I love the car but, I live in Upstate New York and (obviously) drive a lot and the Traction Control has come in very, very handy and want it on my next car. It will be sad if the 2007 Elantra does not have Traction Control because I will have to look to a new brand. If anybody has any info., please let me know! Thanks!
  • Options
    I'm not sure myself. I'd just hang on to my car if I were you for a litle while longer -- the whole stability control craze is ramping up so quickly I wouldn't be at all surprised if traction/stability were made standard for the 2008 model year. Just a guess, though.
  • Options
    I think that's a good bet. ESC will be mandated by federal regulation in the not-too-distant future. It's possible Hyundai could act in advance of that, based on their emphasis on safety equipment and ESC in particular.

There's been no mention of traction control on HMA's releases on the 2007 Elantra for the U.S. I think it's odd they would not mention a valuable feature like that, but you never know. Hyundai dealers have pricing now, so they should also have info on features and options--maybe even brochures, which would list features.
  • Options
    So, for the average consumer that wants an econobox with AUTO, A/C and Cruise Control (all pretty much a necessity these days), a 2007 Elantra GLS with shipping is gonna cost $16,495?! I hope alloy weheels are a cheap dealer add on or consumers will have to fork over $17,295 for a SE Auto. Sticker shock anyone? At that price, wouldn't a 158 HP Mazda3s 5A w/ ABS/SAB for a few bucks more make more sense?

Even more disgusting is that a Limited AUTO with decent stereo (and sunroof) will cost a whopping $19,595! Almost 20K for a car with an ancient 4A and wheezy 2.0 BETA. Now that's value!
  • Options
    Meh. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I love you, bye-bye!

:P
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    Don't pay attention to him, he just likes to bash Hyundai. I suppose that if the Elantra costs $5.95 got 2,500 MPG did 0-60 in 2.5 seconds and would run for a million miles before needing any maintence he would complain.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    Exactly. Heaven forbid there is a little diversity of opinion in this forum board.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    Exactly.

Are you admitting that all you do is bash Hyundai?

Diversity of opinion is one thing. Outright bashing is quite another.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    cjgtcjgt Member Posts: 28
    Your right germancarfan1. You've convinced me to visit the Volkswagen forum and talk about how overpriced and overrated VW's are. Never mind if I owned one or not.
  • Options
    Considering I do own a 04 Elantra, I think that gives me some right to atleast question some of Hyundai's decisions. The fact that i've encountered numerous problems with my car I think entitles me to atleast voice my concern so others may make an intelligent, informed decision. What exactly would the purpose of this forum board be if all that was said was information pulled straight from PR puff pieces put out by Hyundai? With that said, i'm not sure how comparing the price of one of Hyundai's competitors to that of the 07 Elantra is considered "bashing."

Now, let's get back "on topic:" I do find it surprising that few individuals on this forum are not at all disappointed with the fact that a car, with the potential of costing upwards of $20K, advertised as completely redesigned by Hyundai, contains virtually the same underwhelming powerplant that debuted over 10 years ago in an Elantra costing nearly half as much.
  • Options
    The 2007 Elantra has more interior room than the Mazda6. The Elantra is a mid-sized car, not a compact like the Mazda3. So let's compare:

Elantra SE AT (with 16" alloys): $17,295 MSRP incl. destination
    Mazda6i Sport AT (with 16" steel wheels): $20,390 MSRP incl. destimation

If you don't mind the Elantra's 15" wheels, you could go with the GLS Premium Package for only $16,495.

Looks to me like the "sticker shock" is with the smaller Mazda6.
  • Options
    delacerdadelacerda Member Posts: 1
    Maybe you should sell your 04 Elantra?
  • Options
    Overall, the 2007 Elantra is lower in prices but better in features, packaging, and styling (my opinion) than the 06 Elantra. Your argument - the 2007 Elantra is too expensive, so where does that leave the outgoing Elantra?

Take a look at the rest of the class, priced similar when comparable equipped, with the Elantra undercutting most in price.

Most consumers acknowledge the value of Hyundai cars, and the trend continues, for the most part, despite Hyundai moving up (but with higher quality and reliability).

germancarfans, I have requested for almost a half a year now, please show us your Elantra so we can all believe your claim. Sell it please if you do own one!! Thanks! :)
  • Options
    spmrebelspmrebel Member Posts: 130
    Hi all,

I got a tip from Douglas Hyundai in Santa Ana, CA that Hyundai would have an 07 Elantra on display at the auto show. Anyway, I got free tickets so I decided to check it out.

They had 2 07 Elantras and none of them were on pedestals so I could walk around, touch them and sit in them. They had an Azera on a rotating pedestal was really making it the bright spot for the Hyundai booth. A lot of people were interested in the Azera and the little Elantras didn't have a lot of people around them.

There was a Red Elantra GLS base with stick and no radio or AC! I don't think this will be very popular model here in southern CA. I really can't believe Hyundai can sell such a decontented Elantra.

The second Elantra was Black Pearl Limted with Auto. It had all options except the moonroof and sound package. When I first saw it I was like this looks really good. My girlfriend really liked it in Black Pearl and said it looked really upscale and sharp. I agree. It soothed my dislike for the Corolla inspired front end and Passat/Corolla inspired rear end. The fit and finish was top notch and equal to the best in its class. The paint seemed a lot better than the current generation as the application was more uniform and much thicker. Black Pearl or dark colors tend to show paint process defects quite noticeably. Of course there was none on both Elantras. The engine was definitely the Beta II with some minor modifications in plumbing and air intake. Looks like the oil filter will be a little easier to get to. The engine sits much lower than the current gen Elantra's and it seems to have much more room to put a larger engine in there should the need arise. Also, the car is wider about an inch and taller by nearly 2 inches. Length is nearly the same. My impression was that it didn't seem any larger than the current generation (thank god). I really like the style or the 16" rims. Much better than the 15" on the current GTs.

The best part of the Elantra was the interior. It seemed that Hyundai really put most of the effort in the interior. The interior is top notch in ergonomics and most things are logically located and within easy reach so you don't have to look down much. The materials and workmanship in my opinion is better than 2006+ Honda Civic and at least equal to Madza 3. In fact it seems of higher quality than Sonata and is best in class. In fact, it made the interior of the Sonata extremely bland. I am glad they have the rear tray for the back seats. The interior was tan with leather with dark gray dash. Very classy. The leather was a significant improvement to the GTs. It looked more like real leather.

My biggest gripe with Hyundai was since they raised the price so much (3K over similiar optioned GT) I was hoping they would have automatic climate control and navigation as options. I thought that since they are now targeting a more upscale compact market that they would be trying to compete with the Honda Civic EX with Nav or Mazda 3 with Nav.

I just got a call from the Santa Ana dealer and they said an 07 Elantra has just arrived. The salesman mentioned to me that it rides noticeably quieter than the current generation Elantra - he mentioned that this was the first thing he really noticed as being significantly better.

If the rebates come in I think I will definitely be looking at the Elantra as my next new car.

Happy Motoring
  • Options
    The salesman mentioned to me that it rides noticeably quieter than the current generation Elantra - he mentioned that this was the first thing he really noticed as being significantly better.

When I was looking last year, the outgoing Elantra was already best in class for its quiet ride, in my opinion. That's what sold the car to me over the Focus. So if the new one is even better.... wow.
  • Options
    Thanks for the detailed report! Your comment about the room in the engine bay is interesting. I have been thinking that an Elantra GT could get the 2.4L engine from the Sonata. Since it gets 34 mpg in the heavier Sonata, it should do well in economy while providing plenty of oomph for a car the size of the Elantra. I can dream anyway. :)
  • Options
    Actually, germancarfan1 has posted multiple times about the wheel shimmy problem on his Elantra. And maybe other problems too but I don't recall.
  • Options
    Okay, this really threw me for a loop, but there's a black 2007 Elantra in my local Hyundai dealership's lot.

I drive by my Hyundai dealership (Northwest Indiana) about once a week. It's a nice new dealership, but the stock is always quite small. I've been looking at Accent SEs and they never have more than one at a time, so I drive by to see if the stock changes. Anyway, I drove by tonight at 9:30pm after I got out of class. At first it didn't really register when I saw the car against the side of the building, but then I realized "Holy crap, that's the new Elantra."

I parked and ran up around the gates and it's a 2007 Elantra GLS with Automatic and the Preferred Package. It's freezing cold here tonight, plus they were closing up and asked me politely to leave, but I'm almost positive the preferred package was $1750. The car really does look nice in person. The interior is nice, the backseat looks roomy, and the rear reminded me more of a smaller Sonata than the current Corolla. Although I looked at the radio and didn't see any auxiliary input jack -- didn't the press release say there's one with the preferred package? Maybe it's in the glove box or something.

You all need to check your dealer stock! I'm gonna try to test drive it tomorrow.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The aux jack probably isn't in the glove box, but it may be someplace that is not plainly obvious when you look through the window.
  • Options
    grutzagrutza Member Posts: 52
    build and price

go to vehicles
    build a car
    Hyundai
    Elantra
  • Options
    jpmccormacjpmccormac Member Posts: 98
    According to the Elantra Club posting the Aux jack is: "under the center dash facia between the two power outlets. this is right below the AC controller. there will be radios offered that will also have inputs directly on the radio panel. that depends on the various models of radios offered."
    See here:
    http://www.elantraclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10319&st=12
  • Options
    Ah-ha. Neat! I like the idea of the jack being low on the console versus going up to the radio. A cleaner look.
  • Options
    From the linked thread; this is apparently from a sales brochure:

This discussion has been closed.