Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LS 460/LS 460L Styling Impressions

Comments

• Options
    dennykranedennykrane Member Posts: 18
    Hi Doc.

I thought he was running " MayPop" tires.

DK
  • Options
    designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    All times and dates are booked at both the Orange County and Los Angeles locations.

Wow, I registered as soon as I read your post. Plenty of openings at Belmont in NY.
  • Options
    sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    That was my experience with Belmont also. Just shows how car-crazy southern CA is.
  • Options
    nexuslexusnexuslexus Member Posts: 147
    Well California is also Lexus's biggest market in the world.
  • Options
    techman41973techman41973 Member Posts: 83
    That was such a tease! :)
    I got the taste of lexus invite in the mail.
    Went to the website. All time slots for san francisco were booked. I am on the waiting list also
    Now that I can't get in, I want to go more than ever.
  • Options
    lexus460llexus460l Member Posts: 51
    i contacted my salesperson and he told me that lexus owners have a priority to get in the taste of lexus and got a special invitation so is that true. i currently bought a lexus but i didnt receive the invitation so im very frushrated right now.
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Well, the good thing about this is, at least Mulally KNOWS a good car when he sees one. Not sure Bill Jr. would know one if it rear-ended him.....

Can't wait until Mulally gets in his new Town Car L, and feels the vinylness of the leather seats, looks at the drab dash and antique instrumentation. Then he'll look for the power recline button, and find out it's a handle circa 1984. The list of disappointments will go on and on....and he'll begin to get queasy.

Hopefully, he'll have the checkbook somehow, to begin making product that will knock our socks off - not knock offs of the Ford Fusion...
  • Options
    excelsior88excelsior88 Member Posts: 71
    Well wait until the LS 460 comes out, perhaps that will give Mr. Mullaly some incentive to purchase some competing makes 'on the side.' All in the name of 'research,' yes, that's it, 'research.' :P

But he already knows that the Lexus LS is "the most refined car in the world." ;)

And I don't think a tricked out, pedestrian-safe LS 460 would be the most likely candidate to rear-end him...

Although I've read that the Euro- and Japan-market LS 460s will have more safety features than the US versions--something to do with liability issues.
  • Options
    oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Well, the good thing about this is, at least Mulally KNOWS a good car when he sees one. Not sure Bill Jr. would know one if it rear-ended him.....

Can't wait until Mulally gets in his new Town Car L, and feels the vinylness of the leather seats, looks at the drab dash and antique instrumentation. Then he'll look for the power recline button, and find out it's a handle circa 1984. The list of disappointments will go on and on....and he'll begin to get queasy.

Thanks for a good laugh, NV... I laughed until tears ran down my face... Geez....
  • Options
    We have read here and on other forums that C&D tested the LS460 and reported a 0-60 of 6s, and a 70-0 stopping distance of 207ft.... Yikes !

Strange tho' is that the actual C&D (pre)view did not have any of such information... And note: it was a preview not a full review.... So who is trying to sell us crap just to throw dirt on the new LS ?

link title

The story is made more strange when one considers that C&D traditionally gets the best 0-60 runs of all the autorags... If Lexus claims under 5.5s 0-60, you can take that to the bank cos that's a conservative estimate... My guess is that the new LS460 will do 5.4s 0-60, and will stop quicker than the old LS430. Heck, the LS430 with only 6 cogs and a measly 278HP does 0-60 in 5.9s, so how can a 380HP 8-speed LS460 (tho' slightly porkier) do 6s 0-60 ? That is just unreal....
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    OAC - how about the guy was counting 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi and rounded up to the 6th Mississippi. Makes a lot more sense than the garbage C&D is spewing out.
  • Options
    drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    "Well, the good thing about this is, at least Mulally KNOWS a good car when he sees one. Not sure Bill Jr. would know one if it rear-ended him..... "

Mr. Ford would definitely know a good car.

He recalls them all the time!

DrFill
  • Options
    I'm booked for the 29th of October.

Hate to miss the Giants-Bucs game, doh! :mad:

But exceptions can be made. This is a very special occasion! :shades:

DrFill
  • Options
    techman41973techman41973 Member Posts: 83
    I just read the review in Road & Track magazine. They complained about rear leg room on the SWB version. This seems odd as the LS430 actually has some amazing leg room. Perhaps for the 460 the SWB loses some space.

Also, the LS has gained 300+ pounds even though great measures were made to use lightweight materials. I am sure its justified, just curious to how it is.
    Even though the power to weight ratio and fuel economy are top notch, I expected Lexus to avoid the weight gain so common with german makes in this class.
  • Options
    Welcome back, Len !

To be fair to C&D, they didn't make any claims, its the naysayers propagating some false info out there. Including the lack of low-end grunt, poor gearing ratio and the needless 8-speed tranny in the new LS. Hmmmm..... maybe they are also counting Mississippi's, eh ? ;)
  • Options
    OAC - all kidding aside about C&D's BS 0-60 times but when you read something like this quote from the story,

"Those in the left-front seat will be able to fend off boredom with a new 4.6-liter V-8"

you know the opinion should get flushed right down the toilet. The LS is a strong personal dislike for this guy and bothers him to no end. This review is like a "he said, she said" gossip story rather than a professional review or opinion. No real professional writes garbage like that. In this case it's a vendetta issue for this reviewer and C&D was nuts to let that language go through uneditted as it wreaks of ameteurism and jealousy. Toss it down the toilet as it's not worth the paper it's printed on.
  • Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    when you read something like this quote from the story,

"Those in the left-front seat will be able to fend off boredom with a new 4.6-liter V-8"

you know the opinion should get flushed right down the toilet.

lj - Gosh, I hate to tell you this, but you have definately misinterpreted that statement.

The statement clearly means that there is nothing boring about driving this car due to its new 4.6 liter V-8. The actual correct interpretation also suggests that the typically boring drive of most vehicles is not going to happen in the LS460, given its new 4.6 liter V-8.

I had no problem whatsoever understanding the positive meaning of that statement!

In addition, the author very nicely ended the review with the following statement:

"Freedom from the tedium of modern motoring is available beginning in October of this year . . ."

TagMan
  • Options
    Car and Driver says this:

"Most interesting of its many gadgets is the standard Advanced Parking Guidance System..."

The Lexus website calls it Intuitive Parking Assist and lists it as optional.

I think parts of the article have a sardonic tone, alluding to "tedium" as driver involvement and alleging the LS of reducing this.

"We assume the next Lexus redesign will address those other two pedals clogging the driver’s footwell, so an ottoman down there can be an option as well."

That's either sarcastic or it applauds Lexus efforts at achieving more luxury, that is, lessening the "tedium" of driving. In my opinion it's the former.
  • Options
    We wait for the full REVIEW of this car from C&D and others. Gleaning all of the current reviews, previews, first drives, so far, it will appear the new LS met Lexus' expectations and most of the autorags. What remains is if the car met consumer expectations.... Hopefully, soon we will get to find this out...
  • Options
    Well, the OVERALL review is quite favorable and complimentary . . . so it stands to reason and is logical that the questionable statement you refer to is also favorable.

But even if it is not, as I said, the overall review is favorable. I would understand if the article was a total put-down. But it is not anything like that. Maybe not to the level the car deserves, but the review is clearly favorable and complimentary . . . certainly not toilet paper, as was referred to.

TagMan
  • Options
    warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    The Cliff Notes version of the C&D article is something like this: "LS is still more comfy than BMW 7 or S; LS still doesn't drive like BMW 7 or S." Would Lexicans have it any other way?
  • Options
    The Cliff Notes version of the C&D article is something like this: "LS is still more comfy than BMW 7 or S; LS still doesn't drive like BMW 7 or S." Would Lexicans have it any other way?

:D

Bottom line . . . from a comparative standpoint, not all that much has changed.

TagMan
  • Options
    Philosophically, you're right tagman. However, aesthetically, the LS has made a big step forward, as well as in performance.
  • Options
    Philosophically, you're right tagman. However, aesthetically, the LS has made a big step forward, as well as in performance.

Yes it has, no doubt. But it's interesting to recognize that the entire playing field is advancing along with the LS, so the progress becomes relative.

TagMan
  • Options
    As it always does, right? But I see this LS update as a major step into the arena of the "Bigboys", don't you? MB just updated the S-Class and probably stayed ahead. But BMW last updated their 7 in 03, so stagnant they remain.

BTW, I know this isn't a BMW board host, but at the Manheim auction in Vegas Thursday, they ran 15 BMW "lemon law buybacks". That's unprecedented in my experience. They may have been pooled and sent here to move, but nobody bought them, nor would I. I'd buy a frame damaged car before I'd buy a lemon law buyback.

I don't know what the rest do, but Ford generally sends their lemon law cars to a forensic studio in Phoenix for study and analysis, then either off to the crusher, or if the car can be made whole, down to Mexico for sale. I found it odd for BMW to try to unload a pool of them here.
  • Options
    But it's interesting to recognize that the entire playing field is advancing along with the LS, so the progress becomes relative.

Relative progress, eh ? What specific progress would make it non-relative and a quantium leap in your estimation ? BTW, no one would not give MB its props, what is often the case is the disrespect of the LS. I guess we are entitled to our opinions, regardless if those opinions are jaded;)
  • Options
    no one would not give MB its props, what is often the case is the disrespect of the LS.

The S has been referred to as a lemon more than once, and received more than its fair share of criticism, but where is the disrespect for the LS you refer to? Criticism, yes . . . disrespect, no.

TagMan
  • Options
    I see this LS update as a major step into the arena of the "Bigboys", don't you? MB just updated the S-Class and probably stayed ahead. But BMW last updated their 7 in 03, so stagnant they remain.

What's really changed? The LS430 was a step up with the "Bigboys", and has been recognized as a HELM vehicle for quite some time. The S-Class started to get old in the tooth, and a wonderful new rendition was released this past winter.

OK, so then the LS430 has reached the end of its cycle and now we have the new LS460 about to pounce onto the scene. The 7-Series is now at the tail end of its cycle, so expect a new 7-Series, before the LS is changed again.

Model changes are not a static event. Model changes are dynamic, and they do not necessarily correspond with one another. So, while one can be brand new, another might be at the end of its life . . . and then suddenly it becomes the new kid on the block.

Progress in spurts . . . makes for an interesting horse race, don't you think?

TagMan
  • Options
    BTW, I know this isn't a BMW board host, but at the Manheim auction in Vegas Thursday, they ran 15 BMW "lemon law buybacks". That's unprecedented in my experience. They may have been pooled and sent here to move, but nobody bought them, nor would I. I'd buy a frame damaged car before I'd buy a lemon law buyback.

I believe there were quite a few for the 02 model year and they were iDrive related. Could be interesting if the price was right. Whew, frame damaged car? Never. If the buybacks were all software corrections they could be a bargain, not that I would buy one.
  • Options
    Criticism, yes . . . disrespect, no

When you claim the new LS progress is relative, what's that ? How about its new 8-speed, improved ride (bigger brakes, tires, suspension), its OFF switch for electronic nannies, its highly efficient and innovative new 4.6L motor (380HP, mid-20 mpg), etc... But we hear its "lack of low-end grunt"... blah blah blah... Driving dynamics in a luxury sedan ? These cars are driven by 50+/60+ yr-olds... Many people buy them NOT for their sportiness, but for their luxury appointments, brand recognition, class, prestige, etc... How many S- or LS owners have you seen tearing down a freeway or taking a corner at high speed in regular driving ?

But we hear its driving dynamics is not up to "enthusiast" level, huh !!! If any so-called enthusiast chooses to own an S-class or an LS, or a 7-series, and expects it to meet an "engaging level of ride", one needs to question their "enthusiast" credentials, no ? For what the new LS brings to the table, can you tell me which other luxury sedan in its class has ALL these features today ?
  • Options
    oac, excuse me, but I just don't see the reason for such intensity in defense of the LS. I think it has enough legs to stand on that it doesn't need to sound the trumpets with its credentials with every post.

Sorry, but I just don't see the car being threatened or "disrespected" like that. Like I said, the car has merit and isn't in need of constant defense or perpetual touting.

TagMan
  • Options
    It's so much that the LS is disrespected, it's as much that the S-Class gets too much respect, as is seen as the standard by which luxury cars are judged, when, in fact, the LS is the one that has earned that distinction.

The S WAS prettier, handled better, and had a few more acronyms, but those days are over! It's Lexus' time.

NO VEHICLE has the resume the Lexus LS has, since 1990.

The Next LS will trump the S550 as a car of who's blend of luxury, safety, power, styling (oh, yes!), and value that Mercedes cannot match.

An S450 would get embarassed if it were brought to fight off the LS! Much like the current S430 has. ;)

The S550 will prove to be a questionable buy for anyone
    who doesn't need a badge to buy a car.

There are 3 great badges in this country. Not one.

DrFill
  • Options
    When the dust settles, we'll see what the concensus is at that time. Your opinion is fine with me, but I do not agree at this time. The LS460 needs more reviews with actual test data. It needs one on one comparisons with the 7-Series and S-Class.

When all this happens, we'll see. At this point the S-Class is still the benchmark. Maybe that will change, maybe not. Either way, the LS460 is a formidable vehicle worthy of praise.

I personally don't care what happens, but I'd like it to be realistic. I have no investment in any car company . . . only my own preferences. So, I can like or buy whatever I want no matter what anybody else thinks. Now that's the kind of freedom I love.

But . . . let's be a little more patient for the serious test reviews and comps, and then let the dust settle.

TagMan
  • Options
    I have no dog in the fight either, as I'm more of a compact performance car buyer.

But Lexus is changing the industry, and the LS is becoming THE preeminent luxury car of the US. This redesign is just the final stage of it's Revolution of the Premium Lux Class.

The S-Class will appeal to old money, but the 21st Century belongs to Lexus. Everyone else is playing catch-up. IMHO.

The LS has won many comparisons, with and without the S-Class present. I'm not gonna break a sweat over comparisons. Value HAS TO be a huge part of comparison test, and Lexus can't be touched by the Germans in value.

DrFill
  • Options
    These buybacks were all 04,05 & 06s, interestingly enough...
  • Options
    Lexus can't be touched by the Germans in value.

You know what I always say . . . credit where credit is due. I do not know of anyone that would argue against the Lexus LS460 as a great value. It is an integral part of the winning formula. We've all agreed on this for quite some time, IMO.

FYI, I am not quite as sure about the GS being as much of a great value, however, as is the LS.

You really need to come back to the HELM board with these comparative HELM posts. ;)

TagMan
  • Options
    oac, excuse me, but I just don't see the reason for such intensity in defense of the LS. .... Like I said, the car has merit and isn't in need of constant defense or perpetual touting.

Defense ? excusez moi... Let's say the facts are being stated, Tag. Just the facts. BTW, look around Edmund's sedan boards and you'd find plenty of "perpetual touting", and "constant defense" of ALL cars/brands to fill an ocean ;) Besides, this is the LS460 board, so expect some love for the car around here,... on HELM, well that's a different boat... :)
  • Options
    excelsior88excelsior88 Member Posts: 71
    ...since its debut. the 1st gen Car and Driver LS comparo in 1989 found it the #1 vehicle over the S-class and others; they cited superior "comfort, engine performance, ergonomics, ride quality, styling," etc. The last gen LS 430 also beat out the S-class in the last C & D comparo, taking first place in that article. Will it do the same this time around?

However, reading those articles and contrasting the magazines from then to now, I am struck by how much the tone has changed--the articles are much shorter on text and analysis now, and IMO are less erudite. The emphasis has switched to more subjective, surface elements (perhaps as magazine sales continue to decline?) that I'm not sure the coming comparos will offer enough detail. Or will judge the sedans the same way. But we'll see.

From ClubLexus, here's a choice quote from Automobile magazine:

"The previous Lexus LS430 is an astonishingly good car, superior in many ways, but it is just not quite in the class of the Germans when you talk about driving dynamics. That all changes for 2007. The new LS460 is not just the peer of the leading trio, it provides a new benchmark for the category."

And from autochannel:

"The LS 460 is a major step forward for Lexus. As comfortable and inviting as the Executive Class right rear seat may be, the driver's seat is just as good in its own way. Previous LS generations were not known as driver's cars, in the manner made famous by the Germans. This one is."

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/09/09/021326.html

I seriously hope they haven't compromised the LS' absorbent, smooth ride in favor of performance!
  • Options
    this is the LS460 board, so expect some love for the car around here

That's the way it should be, and I wouldn't want or expect it any other way!

on HELM, well that's a different boat

Well . . . same answer.

TagMan
  • Options
    Sorry for the bluriness, I hope you can read that.

Also, the LS600hL will be coming in the spring of 2007 and will have more than 430hp (confirmed)
  • Options
    cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    Is this from the U.S. Lexus website? Unfortunately, it is very difficult to read the information on your post.
  • Options
    cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    Thank you nexuslexus! I appreciate it. For some reason I stupidly assumed that this was new information on the LS600hL, but this is good stuff on the LS460 and LS460L. The only thing that bothers me is the trunk space shrinkage with the rear AC option. I wonder what sort of trunk space there will be on the LS600hL? If it's a matter of rear AC or trunk space, I am going with the trunk space.
  • Options
    Here is what may be new information on the LS600hL.

Lexus 2008 LS 600h L: World's First Full Hybrid V8 Luxury Sedan
    Joins All-New Fourth-Generation LS 460 and LS 460 L
    09/12/2006 Torrance, CA
    September 12, 2006 - Torrance, CA - Unveiled at the 2006 New York International Automobile Show, Lexus' all-new 2008 LS 600h L hybrid luxury sedan is scheduled to arrive in spring 2007. The all-wheel-drive LS 600h L will be the world's first vehicle to feature a full hybrid V8 powertrain.

"The LS 600h L was developed to explore the outer reaches of performance, style and safety," said Bob Carter, Lexus Division group vice president and general manager. "It is a vehicle as efficient and familiar as it is indulgent and advanced, a far-reaching concept, fully developed and fully realized. It is simply in a class by itself."

Lexus Hybrid Drive
    Coinciding with the debut of the all-new LS is the introduction of the Lexus Hybrid Drive name, which will be used globally for all Lexus hybrid models. The hybrid-drive system in the LS 600h L builds upon the Lexus legacy established by the RX 400h and GS 450h to combine an all-new five-liter V8 gasoline engine with large, high-output electric motors and a newly designed large-capacity battery pack. This advanced combination will provide the LS 600h L with an unmatched balance of environmental efficiency and performance, furnishing the hybrid with a peak combined output rating of more than 430 horsepower.

To distribute this immense power, a new full-time all-wheel-drive system is utilized for superior handling control. The LS 600h L also employs a newly developed dual-stage electronically controlled, continuously variable transmission. This combination results in impressive power and seamless acceleration.

The Lexus Hybrid Drive system found in the LS 600h L is the automotive industry's most advanced gas-electric hybrid system developed to date. The hybrid system results in seamless power and very impressive passing speed. It will deliver power and performance on a par with modern 12-cylinder engines, while still delivering best-in-V8-class fuel efficiency.

The LS hybrid is expected to carry a Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) rating. A SULEV rating means the LS 600h L has nearly 70 percent fewer emissions than the "cleanest" of its competitors.

"It is fair to say that to our knowledge there is nothing on the road, or on the drawing board, that comes close to delivering such a formerly contradictory combination of jaw-dropping engine performance, fuel efficiency and fewer emissions," Carter said.

Owing to the inherent noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) improvements offered by its hybrid powertrain, the LS 600h L is designed to set a new standard for silent running in the prestige-luxury sedan class. The depth and density of cabin quietness in the LS 600h L required extensive re-engineering of accessory motors and switches.

With "quiet-ride" ranking as one of the top five reasons for purchase of prestige-luxury vehicles, especially among current LS owners, the LS 600h L is well-situated in its class and poised to please the exacting luxury-car buyer. Its NVH levels are about half that found in conventional cars, making the hybrid LS one of the quietest automobiles ever built, if not the quietest.

High-Output V8 and World's First Eight-Speed Automatic Transmission
    The LS 460 and LS 460 L will be powered by an all-new, highly advanced 4.6-liter V8 engine that will produce approximately 380 horsepower and 367 pound-feet of torque. Combined with a world-first eight-speed automatic transmission, these LS sedans will travel from zero-to-sixty miles per hour in 5.4 seconds. Even with this level of performance, the new LS sedans are expected to receive a combined city/highway mileage of 23 mpg as well as an Ultra-Low Emissions Vehicle II (ULEV II) rating.

Advanced Active Safety Technologies
    Coinciding with the launch of the hybrid model is a newly developed, Advanced Pre-Collision System (APCS) that is unlike any system ever before offered by Lexus. One element of APCS is a new system designed to help detect pedestrians in the vehicle's path.

Two small cameras mounted at the front of the car, in conjunction with millimeter-wave radar, are sensitive enough to detect not just large metal obstructions such as cars but also smaller nonmetallic objects, such as humans.

A third camera, mounted on the steering column, monitors the orientation of the driver's face. If the camera sees that the driver is not looking directly ahead for a few seconds or more, and if an obstacle is detected ahead, then it alerts the driver first with a warning chime and a flashing light. As the car gets closer to the obstacle, the system can begin to gently apply the brakes on its own. To assist the driver in maneuvering around the obstacle, the system reprograms the steering ratio, amplifying the intensity and quickness of the steering response.

While all of this is happening, the system automatically retracts the seat-belt restraints for driver and front passenger and prepares the brake system to respond with increased force when activated by the driver in anticipation of a possible impact.

Dynamic Driving
    These unique active safety systems team with Lexus' proprietary next-generation Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system, standard on all new LS models, which integrates Electric Power Steering (EPS), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Electronic Control Brakes (ECB), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD).

An air suspension system equipped with Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS) will be standard on the LS 600h L and an option on the LS 460 L. VGRS optimizes the steering gear ratio according to vehicle speed to help enhance responsiveness and driver control. VGRS also partners with VDIM, making minor adjustments to front-wheel angle for improved control in challenging road conditions.

Together these technologies make up an intelligently designed, logically conceived vehicle that helps to provide a level of confidence and control never before experienced.

L-finesse
    The styling on the new LS begins with a daring design language that shatters the myth that luxury sedans must be sedate and understated. A result of the recent design direction Lexus deems L-finesse, the new LS vehicles are the crowning touch to a fully restyled car lineup, which already includes the GS, IS and ES sedans.

The L-finesse design philosophy has its roots in creating a balance of contrasting elements. The new LS encompasses this direction with its bold look, style and personality—both vivid and forceful while at the same time warm, inviting and contemporary. With a pulled-back hood, characteristic of the new Lexus look, low-to-the- ground stance and elegantly sculpted and streamlined body contours, the LS emphasizes simplicity and style in a stunning, modern package.
  • Options
    Lexus loves using the word dynamic. I've seen it so often over the years. This year we have dynamic radar cruise control and now we have dynamic rerouting (via traffic update system). Meanwhile we're all still waiting for the dynamic price.
  • Options
    don't forget Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system
  • Options
    I knew there was another dynamic I was overlooking.

Seriously I just noticed that the changer is CD or DVD based. So if it's 6 dvd's and you burn your own music to dvd's, as I do, then you can have as many as 4800 minutes of music just from the DVD's plus you have a hard drive on top of that and Sat radio. We are starting to get to overkill on entertainment.
  • Options
    We are starting to get to overkill on entertainment.

That's because only in a Lexus DVD stands for "DYNAMIC video disc" :P (of course NOT)

TagMan
  • Options
    It's MNF on ESPN . . . Your San Diego Chargers vs. my S.F./Oakland Bay Area's Oakland Raiders.

The freeways up here have been jammed since this morning in anticipation of the whooping that the Raiders are going to give the Chargers. ;)

I hope you enjoy this good left coast game, my friend, as much as I will.

TagMan
  • Options
    Except that it's audio only. Now Dynamic DAD would be a nice description. Then I can remind my wife and kids that the description is about me and not the car's Digital Audio Disc.