Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• Options
    bugwizrbugwizr Member Posts: 50
    I'm gonna make some calls today. Thanks. I'll report back.
  • Options
    ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    Can someone tell me what the YOKE and SPLINES are? Where are they on the drive shaft? I need to grease these to prevent a rare clank when I come to a stop.
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    GIVE ME A MINUTE ILL GIVE YOU A LINK
  • Options
    Thanks a lot. Now I know what it is.
  • Options
    I need you to help me make a decision. My boyfriend and I just broke up and I am not in my right mind.

The guy at Big O tires will install my shocks and the anti sway bar. He says the red/blue would be too harsh especially with the sway bar.

In the meantime, Steve @ Carson Toyota says he has one set of the blue/red left. Help me decide. I have one set in my garage that I can return, or I can just get the whole thing installed tomorrow. It's been a rough day.
  • Options
    f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    Bugwizr-I don't know anything about the difference between the yellow/blue and the red/blue but if you decide to go with the red/blue and need to unload the yellow/blue set I would be interested. I am in San Diego, CA but frequently drive up to L.A.-Torrance area. If you are interested just say so here and I will e-mail you.
  • Options
    I know a guy on TS who has the red/blue shocks and the anti-sway bar and says even his wife does not notice the difference from the stock ride.

I have also heard concerns that the ride might be too stiff with both the red/blue and the hellwig bar.

Some people on TS have even disconnected their sway bar in the winter because it is causing the truck to over stear in the wet, and believe me you do not want an overstearing truck.

I do not have the hellwig bar and I cannot say from experience.

As I said before, install the blue/yellow shock with the bar and see how you like the truck. A lot of people have this set-up on TS and really seem to like it.

I like my truck ride. But I like stiffer rides in general. I have a little race car and the softest setting on that thing is pretty stiff. So maybe my experience with race cars makes the Tundra seem to have a great ride.
  • Options
    I'll let you know of my decision, Jules. Thanks. Naji, can you explain oversteer to me? Is it correctable or do I have to learn by totalling the truck first? I have always driven a stick. Wouldn't the sway be more pronounced if the truck were a stick? I thought an automatic would be more precise.
  • Options
    These links are good at explaining handling dynamics

http://www.seansa4page.com/resource/steering.html

http://www.bobjane.com.au/overstee.htm

Also here is a glossary of automotive terms

http://www.womanmotorist.com/glossary/glossary.shtml

• Options
    A vehicle that oversteers will have a tendancy for the back end to come around pretty easily. Basically, the front plants better and the rear becomes loose so rather than the front sliding (or pushing-understeer) in a hard turn the back would be more likely to come around. For everyday driving you definitely don't want a truck that oversteers.

Swapping ends is not fun on crowded city streets or worse, the freeway.
  • Options
    Well, I did what every red-blooded American woman does when the breakup is finally final. A new hair-do? No, I went to Big O Tires at the crack of dawn and....

Installed Hellwig Anti Sway Bar
    Installed Bilstein Yellow/Blue Shocks
    Got the truck aligned

and I have brand new tires! I got the BF Goodrich LT All Terrain Tires 265/75/16.

A $1,000 morning. But 3 hours later it feels like a different truck. Solid, tight, and the guys at Big O said the modifications are perfect. The guys thought I was a guy getting all of this stuff. But the guy that originally sold me the Python American Racing Development wheels said " No, it's that lady that sold her BMW for a Tundra- she wants the truck to drive like the BMW."

Pretty funny and a good way to kill 3 hours. I went next door to some truck outfitter and ordered the bed-rug. Comes in Wednesday.

Now what? All dressed up and nowhere to go!

Thanks for the advice, the links, and the posts. Who's up next?
  • Options
    ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    a trailer that attaches to the back of the truck... oh and a boat on it...
  • Options
    Nope, the truck is just fine the way it is now. If I continue spending money this way, I'll be living in it! I'm so glad this year is almost over.
  • Options
    It becomes addicting doesnt it?
  • Options
    fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    As a sad commentary on American men, I was convinced that you were a guy - and a guy with a perplexing lack of understanding for mechanical things! Even when you said you just broke up with your boyfriend, I thought you were a GAY guy! I apologize to the world for being sexist!!

In reality, you're my dream girl!! Well, for me you'll have to remain a dream, because I love my wife immensely, even though she doesn't share my passion for trucks -- or auto and motorcycle maintenance performed in the garage! You should have seen her face when she came home once to find the driveway littered with truck exhaust parts!

So, be encouraged, Bug. There's no shortage of men who wouldn't fall for a girl like you! I simply love the fact that you battled the break-up blues with truck parts rather that a new wardrobe or weekend at the spa!!
  • Options
    just had the impression you had money to throw around that is all... it would be a little dream come true for me if I can attach my own trailer/boat behind my truck...
  • Options
    tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I did some trading today. I now have a V8. The dealer wanted to give it away.
  • Options
    You are hysterical. I wonder what the politically correct way would be to disclose that I'm not a lesbian contractor!

Seriously, this has been the worst of times. I was delighted that my shocks came in the mail and had no trouble sitting for 3 hours while the whole thing was installed. I was thoroughly depressed drinking their crummy coffee and watching some dumb college football game on a 12 inch screen.

I don't know Jack about mechanical, electrical, plumbing, etc- But I know what I like! But now the truck is dirty from the rain and the glow is wearing off.

My ex-husband thinks I look ridiculous driving the truck to work. Wait till he sees the more aggressive tires!

I don't have money to blow. Besides, I could never learn to parallel park while pulling a trailer with a boat on it- Ratboy- (such a nice name).

This is kind of addicting, but since there are limited modifications that can be made, I think I'm finished. I just need the thing detailed now.

The boyfriend is not coming back. It's over. Now I need a guy that will appreciate my eccentricity (although I still might use your idea of a day at the spa). Anybody know how long a heartbreak lasts? Kind of like a hangover, NO IMMEDIATE CURE. And now I'm an internet groupie- next I'll be calling Miss Cleo to get my fortune read on TV. Strange. Happy New Year Everybody. I hope my son isn't doing something stupid with his friends tonight.

Marie
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    We want a picture of your truck, preferably with you in it.
    Tom
  • Options
    Okay! I need to get it washed, I need a new outfit, I need to FIND SOMEONE with one of those internet cameras, and I need to learn how to post pictures.

Hell, the 2003's will be out by then and I'll want a different color! Shouldn't we be at some party kissing strangers and blowing those horns about now?
  • Options
  • Options
    I haven't had the misfortune of that experience in quite a few years. I suspect it's different for everyone but I remember it lasting more than a few months one time.

Time heals all wounds...
  • Options
    natureboy1natureboy1 Member Posts: 55
    I've had both. As much as I liked the Tacoma the Tundra is eons ahead of the Tacoma in terms of power, room and overall quality in my humble opinion. The Tundra rides way better. My Tacoma used to "jitter" all over the road where my Tundra barely moves. The Tundra feels more like a car than it does the Tacoma in terms of ride quality. The Tundra is also a much stronger truck. Of course it should be it's bigger, but the Tundra just feels like it was molded. Don't get me wrong, my 99 Tacoma was nice, but the Tundra I have now is much better...
  • Options
    eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Wasn't it "time wounds all heals"

...think about it...

Bug: eccentricity was for the rich, us poor folks are described as insane. Want a boy toy?

-Eric
  • Options
    Hmm, are you calling me a heal? Or heel? Hehehe...

Bug-why the break up if you don't mind me asking? The holidays is a terrible time to go through that. Been there done that, don't ever want to do it again.

The Tundra is a great truck (I just had to throw that in there to stay on topic and avoid the usual chastising for not staying on topic).
  • Options
    NO, not calling you a heel, was flipping through the channels the other night, it was a quote from a movie. Glad to hear your truck is great.

Question: what is the latest news on future offerings from Toyota. I have heard the larger truck/motor and the possible 3/4 and 1 tons. Anything lately?
    -Eric
  • Options
    I've heard the same and Toyota is going to redesign the Tundra for 2003 model year but I haven't seen any photos or heard any numbers yet.

It should just get better and better.
  • Options
    He is marrying an old girlfriend. It was always a risk, but for family expectations and the ease of the situation, he has chosen her. He has done this 3 times before. I was a friend of his long before I was the girlfriend. I would have been Numero Quatro. I always told him that he had a horrible relationship history. BUT I WAS GOING TO BE THE ONE!!!

Yes, Insane is a better word. An honest word. He wants to be friends. It will kill me. Gotta be strong.

By the way, have any of you driven a Tundra?
  • Options
    Was looking at the T-100 a few years back... Haven't driven the Tundra yet. So I guess I shouldn't be in here, but then again, I am asking questions, hopefully not bothering anyone.

Still happy with the new shocks, tires, and sway-bar?
  • Options
    screw the guys now and go out and drive your truck. Itll make you feel better
  • Options
    Ya know Eric, a boy toy wouldn't be too bad, as long as he knows how to share his toys, play well with others, tell the truth, and say I'm sorry. He would have to be able to share and try not to hurt other people's feelings. He would have to know that he can't have everything he wants.

I would also love a guy that would check the tires and the oil for me. A detail fanatic would be terrific.

We would drive off in the sunset in our TUNDRA and go to our favorite KOA campsite.

I wonder if there is a site for those grownups pondering an "Airstream". That's probably my next step.

Ryan, my friend. Why do they call those big tires TAKO? I can't figure out the acronym.
  • Options
    I'm going to vacuum the insides today. Too much stuff has accumulated over the holidays. I look like one of the Joad's crossing the country. Getting that migrant farm worker look.

My truck looks like the inside of my purse!

Do you know, when I go to the hand carwash, make a big deal about my truck and the paint, leave it with them for an hour, I still come back and find the tailpipes dirty. Don't they realize that a customer that would modify a tailpipe in stainless or chrome wants them to be as clean as the rest of the truck?

Do any of you use those fancy sponges to clean the windows between the back of the cab and the Snugtop cap?

I won't last much longer on this thread. I don't know how to talk about LSD's or ABS. Don't know if I have either one.
  • Options
    TA i believe has something to do with traction?

Traction assistance?

KO is just a designation of some sort. Doesnt mean a whole lot. The mud terrains have a designation of KM
  • Options
  • Options
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and how about I get nearly everything, just not everything. Can we talk allowance now?
    H&K
    -Eric
  • Options
    Bug, Ryan is purr-fect for you. But you know what they say...the good ones are already taken!
  • Options
    Hey, Ryan's a little kid! I need someone that knows the difference between a 401K and some new fiber cereal. Are all of the good ones really taken?

You guys are so funny. I've been listening to Ryan and Obyone and Hillhound for months.

In the meantime, I am learning about trucks and human nature. The Motor Trend thread is a kick. That avalanche looks like a big lunchbox. Isn't an avalanche some sort of calamity? Not an inspiring name. How bout TrainWreck?
  • Options
    almost 2 yrs now... still ok with me
  • Options
    I am 50% older than Ryan, but my 401K seems more like it is a reduction plan. Cest la vie (sans accents). Anyways, stop flirting with Oby, too. I can be jealous!
    -Eric
  • Options
    That boy's been eatin' his Wheaties, gettin' up early, workin' after school! If testosterone can have polite manners, that's Ryan.

But Oby...well...be careful. He's rich, educated, good looking, lives on an island in the Pacific. A definite heart breaker, that one.
  • Options
    "Ryan's a little kid"

:(

not what my gf says.
  • Options
    You're better off without that loser. Any man who would treat a woman like that is dirt. I give his marriage 1 year.

And yes, I have driven the Tundra. I drive one every day.

BTW-I think these Chevy guys are just after you for your truck. Hehehe.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    f1jules said,"BTW-I think these Chevy guys are just after you for your truck. Hehehe. "

Puhlease....give us a break....

We are not that shallow...course if you're talking M5....
  • Options
    Oh, I see, you're just trolling for women here. I got it now. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Options
    dakmaybedakmaybe Member Posts: 10
    I know you're all Tundra owners but here is a question for you...I'm looking for a tow vehicle for a 16' open aluminum fishing boat. Boat, motor, trailer topping out at appx 1,200 lbs. Would like to do it with my 89 accord but seems just a tad under-sized. So, tacoma or tundra? I don't want to small and confined, yet don't need too big and heavy....Also would like to stay with a V-6 for mpg...but dont want an under-sized engine working too hard on wknds and thereby cutting down the mgp anyway. input?
  • Options
    Everybody is rich, educated, and good looking on the internet.

Didn't mean to put you down, Ryan. Just horsing around. It's easy with strangers.

My truck is really driving well. I kind of hydroplaned on the freeway. The big tires felt much better in the correction.

Eric, drive the Tundra. You will be surprised at the difference in feel. I was so close to getting the F150. To me, the Tundra felt more well mannered and solid.

I have to say, though. I have seen some gorgeous Chevys and some rough looking Rams. I just was worried about the reliability. The Ram gets really poor marks. And the Chevy was really expensive.

At our local Chevy dealer, they have a lot of trucks that are already lowered, or highly suspended. Teak wood strips in the bed, fancy wheels, and extremely high priced. Some are bright yellow! I think buying a truck that's already modified musn't be as much fun.
  • Options
    Tundra, hands down. I think the Tacoma is the best looking. I love that truck. However, you can always pretend a truck is small. You can never pretend that a truck is big.

Get the V-8 Tundra and see how quickly you will grow into it.
  • Options
    Before my hour-long test drive in the Tundra last week, I repeatedly slammed the door of A Tacoma on the showroom floor (was probably really irritating the sales staff). There was this tinny noise like a spring vibrating everytime I closed the door.

Outside, I did the same to the Tundra, and no such noise, just a satisfying clunk. I'm big on that "solid" feel! I had just driven an F-150 and liked Tundra so much better!
  • Options
    See, I knew once BUG's story came out the rest of you would start filling those drool buckets.

Looks like Eric and young Master Ryan are Tundra drivers 1 and 2 - whose number three? Let's get this game show going and see who gets to say, "My Tundra or yours, Marie?!"