Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    small/midsize suv that has more power than my 4 cylinder 160 hp Accord and handles like a car

The Xterra and Explorer are trucks so if you want car-like handling those should be out. Trucks normally have worse fuel economy as well.

The JGC has been notorius for being the least reliable of all midsized SUV's. See CR for recent models

The Pilot is as big as the Exporer and is a Honda on an Odyssey frame. It's big but should handle like the Odyssey.

The RAV is on it's own frame, slightly smaller than a Camry, but with the 3.5L V6 it's far and away the fastest of all.

Warranties: Nissan and Toyota
    Reliability: Toyota and Honda
    Resale value: Toyota and Honda
    Safety features: ( fill in the blanks )
    VSC/Trac
    ABS/BA/EBD
    S&C A/B?
    Crash tests: IIHS
    Fuel Economy: RAV V6 by a huge margin
  • Options
    jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    The Xterra and Pilot drive like trucks and have poor fuel economy. The handling on both are mediocre at best. I think the Xterra has a solid rear axle...prehistoric. The RAV4 is a roomy "car like" truck that drives more like a nimble performance sedan with great performance and fuel economy with the V6.

I don't own a RAV4 yet but have driven 6-8 on long test drives and compare them to my Audi. The luxury is not there but it is a good basic performance hauler.

It is faster than a new Audi A6 Advant and $20K cheaper so if you are looking for value and fun it is in the sweet spot of SUVs.

Some of the reported problems of paint chipping and windshield cracks on RAV4W are a concern.

It all depends on what you want.
  • Options
    I spoke with Toyota Customer service today and they told me 2007 RAV4 will be available probably late October and info should be available in late August.

We shall see.
  • Options
    ukludgeukludge Member Posts: 2
    Can someone tell me how good or bad the 2006 RAV4 V6 automatic transmission is? What notches does it have? Is it possible to disable overdrive?
  • Options
    jamescpublicjamescpublic Member Posts: 3
    Hiya,

Checked out the Sport version of the RAV4 last weekend and had to disqualify it from my choices! We could not find a way to raise or lower the tailgate glass.

The RAV4 OAL is 181 inches and the side-swinging tailgate adds another 48 inches for a total of 229 inches! That's longer than a Suburban as well as a Tundra Double-cab!

At 229 inches, I won't be able to load anything in the back without opening my garage door. At least the CR-V's liftgate glass opens.

Is there a way to open the tailgate glass that I missed?

Thanks,

P.S. Here in N. Calif, you have to buy the limited + $3000 option package to get leather seats. And is there anything other than the hideous looking (and feeling) injected plastic steering wheel?
  • Options
    I have only had test drives but the 5 speed auto seemed fine. The notched shifter is kinda cluky but works ok.

Yes you can keep it in 4th gear by moving the shift lever to one side sort of like "Tiptronic"

Not sure why you would want to. It will increse the RPM by 29%, wear out your engine and kill your highway milage.
  • Options
    ukludgeukludge Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply

Sometimes, when you drive thru hilly area it pays off to disable overdrive; it excludes annoying back and forth gear switching
  • Options
    quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    Using 4th gear locks out the OD, for towing it would be very useful, in fact the owner's manual recommends it for hard towing and when engine braking is desired.
  • Options
    hells_bellshells_bells Member Posts: 21
    I'm finding it impossible to find an V6 Limited w/ Leather. I "ordered" one 8 weeks ago and the dealer doesn't have any idea when (if) it will come in. They wanted to charge $2200 to install heated leather seats on a V6 w/o factor installed leather, but that seems way to high. Thoughts?

Has anyone had any luck finding a V6 Limited w/ Leather?
  • Options
    Hey, I learn something here everyday!
  • Options
    Well in 5 months of looking and test driving, I have seen one only at a local dealer 2 months ago or so.. I have never even seen one listed at the many dealer websites. SE region which sometimes lists 1500+ RAVs never seems to have one. The V6 limited seems to be only 2.5% or so of production based on the SE region listings. My guess is only a minute number of RAV4s are made with leather. The factory leather did not seem like anything to write home about.

I have seen the aftermarket leather in a few RAVs and it is very nice, better than the factory one I saw I think. Softer. My dealer wants $1300 to do it in a Sport and that is without the heated seats.
  • Options
    The rear window does not go down. But the side doors open if you have to load in your garage in your garage.

And the rear deck is low for easy loading.

You live in a bad neighborhood where you cannot back in and load you truck with the garage door open... :cry:
  • Options
    hawkeye4hawkeye4 Member Posts: 9
    Where are you located?

I live in San Diego, CA and have 6 or so Toyota dealers within a 50 mile radius. I was able to locate several Limited V6 w/Leather. Although color selection was quite small to say the least.

What I found worked best was to call and speak to the fleet manager and ask:
    1) Are any in stock?
    2) Are any in the pipeline?

They were able to look on their allocation sheets and tell me not only what was pending for them...but also what the inventory at other dealers around them was. (Saved me a lot of time).

If one was pending (usually no more than a week out), you can give them a refundable $500 deposit to hold the vehicle until you can see it and test drive it.

As far as San Diego county goes...
    Last week, there was a Blizzard White pending at Toyota Carlsbad, a Silver at Toyota of Escondido, and a Red pending at Toyota El Cajon.

Don't know if this helps or not...
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    There has been one in my garage since April 8th. I ordered (more like put in a request) in Feb. It took a while. Periodically I look at Fitzgerald's website and I haven't seen another v6 w/ leather in their inventory since I got mine.
  • Options
    matthattan1587matthattan1587 Member Posts: 53
    I read somewhere that Toyota's Rav4 sales will be 70% 4 cylinder models. Why is Toyota doing this...that 269 hp V6 seems pretty sweet, but you cannot find it anywhere? I live in New York and its difficult to find to even test drive! Toyota would sell alot more Rav4's if they offered more V6 models...Toyota is making me look elsewhere! :confuse:
  • Options
    Actually it is more like 84% 4 cyl. I think. But there are lots of V6s around. On Long Island Sunrise and Smithtown Toyota have them. www.fitzmall.com and carmax have them in stock. Look at local dealer inventories on the net and you will find one to drive. Leave your number with a local dealer and then will call you when then get one if they don't have one when you call. Finding a V6 is not hard. I have had five test rides in a sport and two in Base. The V6 is very nice. Finding a V6 in the color, model and with the stuff you want is not easy!

Toyota is selling RAV4s as fast as they can make them so it really does not matter just now what we customers might want.
  • Options
    I have a Limited Rav4.
    The climate controls are a set of three circular panels with soft buttons for each of the features.

Maybe I don't understand something, but my controls are doing some weird things.

Example:
    I'll turn everything off (climate control, air conditioner, fan etc.) I make sure that all controls are off. After a few minutes, the internal air button appears to activate itself. This is especially annoying because I want outside air.

Is anyone else seeing this?

-Dan
  • Options
    gd113gd113 Member Posts: 114
    This is very common. Apparently the system decides based on air temp, humidity etc. whether to use the recirculate option. Check out rav4world.com this is discussed at great detail.
  • Options
    :) Hello I am wondering how you like your new Rav4 Limited. I am looking into buying a new V6 Rav4 myself, but would like to know more about it. If you dont mind me asking, I was wondering what some of the pros and cons were of this car so far? Any input would help greatly! :)
    MM
  • Options
    lirlir Member Posts: 81
    "Finding a V6 in the color, model and with the stuff you want is not easy!"

Tell me about it! I wanted a Ltd. in evergreen metallic or barcelona red (anything but white really) with leather, moon roof and side/curtain airbags, that's ALL. I couldn't find one anywhere, and ordering one they said would take anywhere from 4 weeks to 4 months! Sooooooooo, what did I do? I got desperate and bought the blizzard pearl - extra options that I didn't want, and no leather. And this wasn't even the V6, so I think it's hard to get exactly what you want no matter what your're looking for.
  • Options
    jamescpublicjamescpublic Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your reply re: back window does not open / too long.

(Not that bad a neighborhood. I just don't want anyone seeing me load my bondage devices, assault weapons, and dead bodies into the back. :) )
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    don't 'dis the explorer so quickly. it won't get good gas mileage, but eventhough it has a 10 inch longer wheelbase than the 'rav, the turning circle is about the same(less than 37 feet). it can hold 7 adults too. also with the irs, the handling is quite good defined as hitting a mid corner pothole or heave. ride is somewhat trucky.
    no outside spare and the tailgate access is much better.
    of course, i realize just about nobody on this thread is going to cross shop the two.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    I agree with Jimd4. I got the factory leather on my Limited V6 and I like it, but I also saw dealer installed leather on a sport model. The leather was jet black and looked very nice, but cost $2,000.
  • Options
    I'm noticing that just before i come to a complete stop, I feel a very slight "twitch" of the steering wheel. Is this something to do with the electronic steering? I hadn't noticed it before, but now have felt it several times this week, but only when I only have my hand on the left side of the wheel with my elbow on the window sill.
  • Options
    hells_bellshells_bells Member Posts: 21
    I'm looking in the Mid Atlantic region. I don't there is one V6 limited w/ leather in that entire region right now. I contacted x3 dealers an non could find a V6 limited w/ leather either in the region or due in. It's a shame.
  • Options
    That is a good one...Enjoy your CV or whatever you buy!
  • Options
    Hi Manhattan1587:

I love my new Rav. It replaced a 4Runner I'd been driving for almost 10 years.

Pros:
    * Quick and nimble.
    * Comfortable and quiet.
    * Special features of the Limited add a lot to the car (i.e. Leather, Stereo system, Dual Climate controls, etc.)
    * Safety (Side Curtain air bags)
    * Doesn't hurt that Consumer Reports chose it as #1 small SUV

Cons:
    * Stupid drink holder design
    * Rear window doesn't open
    * External radio antenna
    * Big blind spot at rear corners of vehicle
    * Poor visibility of clock and stereo panel
    * Supply is low, demand is high Dealers are not as willing to negotiate because they have people waiting to snap up the car if you decline.

Over all...very nice car. Size and power are excellent. Gas mileage is decent. Looks good and fun to drive.

I'm happy I got mine.

-Dan
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Assuming you do have the electric stearing boost that "twitch" wouldn't surprise me. Those systems are subject to overheating so "relaxing", lowering, the boost level as the vehicle comes to a full stop would be a perfectly acceptable engineering design aspect.
  • Options
    How much did u pay for this Rav4?
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Toyota is selling RAV4s as fast as they can make them so it really does not matter just now what we customers might want.

This is likely the truth since the new RAV is a huge hit with the public as indicated in the sales numbers. However most owners are still the frugal RAV/CRV/Camry/Accord owners who normally look for good solid basic transportation with reliability and economy over niceties.

It's not unlike the trend that CE/LE/LX CamCord owners are far and away the largest single segment of buyers.

Ditto the RAV which appeals to the same demographics. This apparently is what the market is demanding.
  • Options
    hksebdhksebd Member Posts: 2
    Am I the only one who was disappointed by the new Rav4? It basically left the compact SUV segment and made the highlander look outdated. It's so much larger now and not a very urban car now in my opinion.

I've heard some talk that Toyota's looking for something to slot between the Matrix and the Rav4? Personally I wouldn't mind something like a Daihatsu Terios (except a tad wider). The Matrix is good and all but just a bit too low and near the snow during winter driving (not that the Terios is that much higher).

The upcoming Ford Bronco should be an interesting addition to this segment.

Too bad Jeep doesn't have a city/urban version of the Wrangler (with better fuel economy!!) or else it'd be a great urban runabout.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You might prefer the euro short-wheelbase model. There is no 3rd row and it's almost a foot shorter overall. Too bad they don't sell it here.

-juice
  • Options
    MSRP was: 28,970
    I paid: 27,100

Also bought the 6yr/100K warrenty.
    They asked 1,900, I ended up paying 1,230

Escondido Toyota (San Diego)
  • Options
    But now the RAV4 V6 is a very useful hot rod for lots of us!
  • Options
    hksebdhksebd Member Posts: 2
    LoL some of us just need a small SUV to get around town with and go up to the hills for some snowboarding during winter. I hate parallel parking with larger/higher clearing cars in the city. A small SUV just makes sense. Though I guess compact SUVs are more popular north of the border than below.
  • Options
    Well I don't own a RAV4 but in driving a test drive I thought it was nimble and easy to manage in traffic. But I rarely have to parallel park
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I agree that having the tailgate swing up would be more convenient and allow better, more full access to the cargo hold. However, how do other SUVs work the issue when a tire is mounted on hte rear? I'd think you would have to swing the tire 'out' the tire and then swing 'up' the tailgate....a two step operation that still involves the inconvenience of 'swingout'.

Unless the tire is mounted in the vehicle (you loose cargo space though) or under the vehicle, (inconvenient when need the spare), I am not sure I see any advantage to any one of these solutions. Plus with the tire under or in the car, your SUV starts to look like a Mini Van or wagon.

It would be nice though if the rear glass opened.
  • Options
    A lot of SUVs put the spare under there, actually.

The euro RAV4 has a donut under the cargo floor, but I don't think they could accomodate that plus a 3rd row.

I've never seen an outside mounted spare swing up, though. Remember the old Rodeos had that seperate swing-open metal brace?

-juice
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    I really haven't found the swinging rear door to be an issue. Even in parking lots it hasn't been a problem. Likewise, the rear glass not being operable hasn't bothered me. What's the difference if I open the window or open the door. I don't get it. The rear glass in the Forester doesn't open.

In all honesty, the 3rd row seats are a novelty that are about as practical as the back seat in a 911. I, for one, would much rather see the spare under the rear storage and eliminate the possibility of 3rd row seating.
  • Options
    sayers1sayers1 Member Posts: 42
    You may see the 3rd row seats as a novelty, but we have them and frequently use them. They are full size seats, not just jump seats. Great for the kids anytime, and acceptable for full size adults, albeit not for trips across the country. We find them indispensable. That is why we bought this vehicle.
  • Options
    fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    Some like to open the rear glass in order to haul long items. Like the CR-V.
  • Options
    quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    I wouldn't mind if the rear window would retract into the door, but the swing up window I've never had a use for. My previous vehicle had a swing up hatch and the rear window also would open, but I never once used it in 5yrs, the hatch was nice tho, I miss that choice. Maybe the '07 will have an electric roll up/down rear window!

Having a swing out tire carrier was real practical in older mid '80s SUVs, the Bronco II, Blazer, Cherokees all had them among several others, they took a little getting used to, but worked well if they were made right, some of the door mounted swinging mounts left a lot to be desired, IE Bronco II.
  • Options
    johnnymurphjohnnymurph Member Posts: 35
    Lots of great information on this site! The V-6 is what I am after. There is not a big price difference between the sport and limited. I am not opting for leather, so what say ye?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Options
    It was raining this morning, so I had the wipers on. There was noticeable interference with the radio, even though I have sattelite radio, each time the wipers came down. I hadn't noticed it before.
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    HOWS YOUR RATTLE. You, by chance have not discvered its actually coming from the pillar have you?
  • Options
    We're at Costco and/or the grocery store probably at least twice a week, and loading at the curb side.

Keep in mind we're shopping for 5, so trips are more frequent and we have to get more stuff. Wifey saw the door opening towards the curb and called it "stupid".

It's set up for RHD markets. They didn't flip it over. Even if they did you would not have rain shelter to do that emergency diaper change on the road. It happens, trust me! :D

-juice
  • Options
    mterrellmterrell Member Posts: 21
    Just wanted to say had that I was able to have the window repaired . Today another rock cracked it. This glass is not right! I will file a complaint today. Below is the link to the site .Any one else has this problem Please file on this site..Office of defects Investigation.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/?CFID=1585161&CFTOKEN=18813411
  • Options
    The replacement broke? How long after you had it?

Are you tail-gating trucks that deliver stones all the time or something? ;)

:D

-juice
  • Options
    mterrellmterrell Member Posts: 21
    Actually Allstate sent a guy to the house and he repaired the first one. If its a small nick or crack they can repair here in Virginia. This one hit in a different place and these windshields are cracking very easy. I may have to replace it this time. Here you have to pay a deductible for windshields. Even the guy who repaired the fist time mention that he is seeing a lot of this with toyota cars and trucks..