Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Versa

Comments

• Options
    jbmeehanjbmeehan Member Posts: 5
    I did talk to a dealer rep who said the CVT would be available on the base Versa in September. She is double checking her date.

Do you know where I can buy aftermarket products for the Versa? I am interested in adding a front center console and running lights if I buy the base model.
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Thanks 719b for understanding where I am coming from.

Incidently, I would love to hear what peopl are paying for the car compared to MSRP.

It appears there is very little mark-up. Did anyone pay over MSRP?

Keep in mind that if the dealer added things to the car and they usually charge a steep profit for things like "door edge guards" or "undercoat".

Mark

ALSO at my dealer we sold our first three SLs, don't expect any more until Aug.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I have the brochure, and that agrees with what has been reported in the various reviews. The S model gets a normal 4 speed AT, and the SL gets the CVT. Who knows if they plan to change that in the future.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    wulfgarwulfgar Member Posts: 38
    I haven't picked mine up yet but we were quoted $ 13,750.00 on ours which lists at $ 13,950.00 (6-speed S with Power Package and trunk/floor mats). Seems a fair price and reached with a minimum of fuss. These don't seem to be bringing the attention the Honda Fit did/does at the dealer - which is fine by me.
  • Options
    ddomingoddomingo Member Posts: 6
    Hi to all 2007 Versa owners,

Just purchased a brilliant silver Versa last Saturday at South Chicago Nissan.
    Its a 1.8 SL CVT with convenience package and paid $16,616 MSRP.
    Driving it a lot since Saturday and got 70 miles on it already and just great riding.
    But tonight while my wife is driving it, the brake, battery warning lights and sound suddenly went on and continued for about 5 minutes while driving then it disappeared.
    Here driving is okay and we were wondering what triggered it.
    Should I bring the car to the dealer to have it checked for loose connections or is it just normal for new cars that still needs to be break-in?

:confuse: :confuse:
  • Options
    flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    stickguy, it has been reported in this forum that in the first part of production the base Versa hatchback well get a 4spd auto, Nissan is having problems getting enough parts for the CVT, so they are placing them in thier money maker the "SL"

Tony :shades:
  • Options
    mattschechtermattschechter Member Posts: 58
    Hello. Congrats on the new car!! While I don't own a Versa I can say that if my new Fit did that I'd be at the dealer the very next day. New car break-in period refers to the mechanical wearing in of a new engine. The car's electronics, conroled by a central computer, should work properly from the very start in the same way that a new home computer doesn't need to "break-in". If I were in your position, I'd take in and have them run a diagnostic to make sure all was well. Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm sure once the dealers have enough cars in stock, you shouldnt have a problem getting what you want at the Nissan Dealer... But why a base model ?

• Options
    Congrats, and yes that seems like a fair price, One of the problems I see is that nissan dealers don't know much about the cars, so its hard for them to really introduce them. Which is fine with me..

So far 188 miles and loving it.

• Options
    Congrats..... I would take it back to the dealer, I'm sure the computer saved the error codes and the dealer can see what happened...

• Options
    Thank you for all your immediate replies.
    I will bring the car back to the dealer since there might be problem with the electronics and hopefully the diagnostic can reveal and fix the problem.

Nice to join this forum and get immediate results.

:shades: :shades:
  • Options
    canuck785canuck785 Member Posts: 160
    i was gonna comment on this, being a canadian myself... :) but you were faster than me backy!! i moved here (kansas) last year...still try to convert things in metric all the time ;)
  • Options
    aservaserv Member Posts: 1
    I was in a dealership last week (Washington State) that had two Versa. One was sold, the other was for a test driving.

The one I drove was the SL with CVT. I was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable and roomy it was. It had plenty of pep and was fun to drive. No ABS.

The salesman tried really hard to sell it to us, but we weren't ready to buy just yet. However, the head sales manager did not want to sell it because he needed it for test drives. He said the dealership is not budging on price because there is such a demand for the Versa. He told us two more cars were coming in a couple of weeks (black and red) and already had deposits on them. If I wanted a particular car, I would be looking at 7 month wait.

Oh, and if I wanted to trade in my 2000 Lexus RX300 with 57,000 miles, they'd give me $13,000.
  • Options
    whitestonewhitestone Member Posts: 2
    NISSAN VERSA - I am Looking to buy a hatchback and the VERSA has cuaght my eye. Slightly less room than the MATRIX but overall it appears to be good bang for the buck for an entry level commuting car.

Yesterday , I took it for a test drive (5 spd SL) and was surprized to see that the Clutch was acting up.
    Scenario: I would have it in 3rd gear, press the Clutch while removing my foot form the gas. THEN change to 4th gear. As I released the clutch completely and proceeded to accelerate.... the RPM revved up and it took a second to fall back down to the appropraite RPM where it engaged the gear. There was no connect - it was as if the Clutch wasn't working and the RPM needle was dancing above where it should have been.

The car had 200km on it and the sales guy stated it was happening because another test driver had just taken it for hard drive a half hour before and had "burnt some clutch". The sales guy stated that the car was driven pretty hard and the Versa was started off in 2nd, etc. I dont know a lot about cars but this seemed like a weak excuse for clutch with only 200 KM. (unless I am missing something? I have a very basic understanding of cars).
    On another note... I have driven manuals for 15years and driven many many different vehicles. Any thoughts or similiar experiences???

I am still interested in the VERSA but would feel better if this was an isolated incident.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    This behavior was mentioned by C/D in their review of the Versa, i.e. took awhile for revs to come down. Nissan told them it was because the car was "pre-production". Looks like they haven't addressed it yet.
  • Options
    ryanvryanv Member Posts: 2
    I recently took 2 Nissan Versas for drives.I live in Vancouver B.C. so the automatic is not available up here for another month or so.Neither the S,or the SL model with the 6 speed had the issues you discribed.It was acually quite pleasant to drive.Although,it was the loudest gear shift I've ever heard.But still felt very solid,and easy to shift.Having waited patiently for months,and driven EVERY one of the comparable models.I finally ordered my Versa yesterday.Saphire blue,with charcoal interior,S model w/VOP pakage plus ABS.Everything I need and more for 18,600 canadian, including all taxes and charges.Beat that honda!!!
    I can hardly wait :)
  • Options
    bsbcbsbc Member Posts: 10
    FYI

The photos Edmunds has on this page: http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/nissan/versa/100759288/researchlanding.html is the S not the SL as they have listed. On the exterior it shows the S wheels. On the interior, the tell tale sign is no center arm rest in front. The fabric is tougher to distinguish on the beige in those pictures but the other things tell the story.

Just thought you might want to know. Sometimes it is tough finding pictures of the base model details. They always want you to look at the upscale versions.

J
  • Options
    ARe you sure it wasn't a 6 spd not a 5 spd?? Sinve the Versa's only come in 4 spd auto, 6 spd mannuel and CVT.

Tony
  • Options
    How do I distinguish visually of my Versa is a CVT and not just Automatic transmission? Iam not good at engines but I would like to know what to look for when I pop the hood to know if its a CVT engine or Automatic engine.

:) Art
  • Options
    You really can't see the tranny on the Versa from opening up the hood.

Its simple if you purchased and S you have a 4 speed auto if you purchased and SL automatics all come with CVTs

When you drive the CVT you won't feel or hear and "shift-shock" like you do on the automatic.

Mark
  • Options
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for the prompt response. I have purchased the SL version so its probably CVT. I have noticed that CVT engine accelerates a bit slow when starting from a full stop compared to my other automatic car, but after running a small distance, its fun to drive already. Just probably got to get used to driving a CVT yet.

:D Art
  • Options
    To get a real quick transition to a shorter ratio and thus beter acceleration on a CVT, you must FLOOR the pedal.

There is no direct pedal to engine cable connection, its all electronic, so you cannot hurt the engine. You have to imagine that the Gas Pedal is now the dimmer on an electric light.

If you want full power you have to press all the way, just like you would have to turn a switch on a light all the way up to get the brightest light.

Mark
  • Options
    whitestonewhitestone Member Posts: 2
    I'm in Vancouver too. Did they move on the price at all? and which dealer?

( A 6 speed it was (the 5 speed is habit forming. Pre production car is interesting to know.)
  • Options
    ryanvryanv Member Posts: 2
    The dealership is,West Coast Nissan in PittMeadows.They did'nt budge on the price of the Versa.But I did manage to hammer them on the price of my pile of junk trade in.So you can always go that route.I was supposed to get it in aug/sept,but the manager found the exact same car that I ordered,and I was able to bump to the top of the list.First one sold in the lowermainland,ICBC tells me.Its great,I love it.I made sure the tank was stuffed full,so give me a week or so and I will post the mileage numbers in kms and mpg.

PS-9 people paid deposits at westcoast Nissan,but they are waiting for autos.They have a black SL right now. ;)
  • Options
    Hi to all Versa owners,

I noticed that I can see four adhesives inside the left sideview mirror while the right sideview is okay. Also the right sideview mirror is much brighter compared to the left. When I went to the dealer, they have three Versas there and I checked that in two cars I can also see the adhesives while in one car it is okay.
    Is your Versa like this also?
    Is it normal for the left sideview mirror not to be brighter than the right sideview mirror so as not to glare/blind the driver from bright lights or this might be a manufacturing defect?

:confuse: Art
  • Options
    yardtimeyardtime Member Posts: 4
    I know a couple of folks have mentioned they would post their mileage but I haven't seen it yet. Did I just miss it?
  • Options
    reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    Check out the Nissan Versa MPG - real-world numbers discussion. There are about 8 posts so far. Hope that helps.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0dbe11/7
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Due to the popularity of the Versa we created some new discussions and moved posts out of here. To make sure you never miss a new Versa discussion, be sure and go to the Nissan Versa board and click the "Track this Group" link on the right above the list of discussions. Whenever you return - click My Tracked Items or Read New Messages to see what's new.

OK - new discussions...
    Nissan Versa Test Drive reports
    New Nissan Versa Owners Report
    Nissan Versa - Audio questions (iPod, speakers, AUX, etc.)
    Nissan Versa MPG - real-world numbers
    Nissan Versa ABS - availability and package questions
    Nissan Versa Accessories

Anyone can add a new discussion in the Versa board - just click the Add Discussion link.
  • Options
    Where is the "Add discussion" link? I looked all over for that the other day and couldn't find it. I have been able to find it in the past, however.
  • Options
    doromachidoromachi Member Posts: 21
    Go to Forums and then Versa. There is it.........
  • Options
    Go to the Versa message board - http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/.f0d7fed/ and you will see it on your right.
  • Options
    Thanks, I found it. I don't usually follow that path to the discussions.

Any idea why, when I indicate I want to track ALL the Versa discussions, I only get to see some of them? That makes it a bit of a pain to keep track of the ever-expanding range of discussions for one car (e.g. almost up to 50 now for the Fit).
  • Options
    Some discussions are "linked" in to the Nissan Versa board - such as the Prices Paid discussions. Those discussions "belong" the parent board Prices Paid & Buying Experiences. Other than that, any discussion in the Nissan Versa board will show up in your new list on My Tracked Items if it is created/belongs in there.
  • Options
    I work in a Ford/Nissan store, mainly on the Ford side. I have yet to get a Nissan customer to buy a Ford, or a Ford customer to buy a Nissan.

I wasn't trying to disparage the Versa, I was just throwing the Focus out there for consideration.

The undeniable fact is that for similar money, a Focus will give you more performance in terms of HP and independent suspension and smooth shifting stick for your $.

I think Focus and Versa tie in interior packaging as the rear seat cushion on Focus folds up and forward to give the seat backs room to fold with out that HUMP in the floor. Also the Focus' higher driving position and telescoping wheel are a plus. This i think compensates for the blandness somewhat. Well except for the Focus with the beige interior... that car is hopeless.

Versa wins the radio contest and gadget contest with iPod Jack, Intelligent Key, Bluetooth, etc.

Focus still impresses first time new car buyers. The drive is great and for many people who previously bought older used cars, this is their first car with Keyless entry, CD player, etc.

I would hate to see the Focus become more expensive. I think it should be MSRPed lower with only a $500 rebate. I feel that one of the advantages of buying American should always be being able to get a bigger car for the money.

Focus is definitely no longer the poorly screwed together piece it was 6 years ago. They Wayne plant was completely rehabed prior to the 05 model year. The engines are new clean sheet engines also used in the Mazda3. The Ford ST will give you Mazda3 like performance for literally thousands less.

Nissan has YET to make a PZEV car. PZEV stands for partial zero emissions. To meet this standard, a car must put out ZERO evaporative emissions and generate less than 1 pound of smog forming pollutants per 100,000 miles driven!

PZEV is something only Ford and Honda have done so far to my knowledge on a regular gas car (not hybrid).

Mark
  • Options
    Actually quite a few automakers offer PZEV cars (non-hybrid)--including Nissan:

http://www.driveclean.ca.gov/en/gv/vsearch/cleansearch_result.asp?vehicletypeid=- - - 16
  • Options
    Wow, thanks for the link....I wish the PZEV would be more available than in just green and border states.

Incidently is it me or was the list totally dominated by Fords and Ford family vehicles? (Mazda Mercury Volvos etc).

Mark.
  • Options
    It was you--Ford had nine different vehicles on the list, including all the family members. A good showing, but dominating the list??--there were 21 different vehicles on the list (counting different trims of a vehicle once, e.g. all the Focuses were counted once, all the Legacys/Outbacks were counted once). This is still generous for Ford because I counted twins like the Fusion/Milan separately.

Do you want to talk about the Versa, or just Fords?
  • Options
    Mark I think you are missing the big point the Versa offers MUCH more then the Foucs does. The basic platform for the Focus is 6 yrs old.... That is a LONG time in the car business. The Versa is a totally new car, granted its been sold in the Japan and other markets for a while, but the platform is new...

Yes, Fords today are better built then they were 6 yrs ago, but until Ford does something with the plateform that the Focus sits on, its still going to lag behind everybody else. Also the Versa is not being marketed as a "sporty" car, so to put the Versa up against the Focus as which one is sporty is not a true comparision..

Now how do you think the Focus ZX4 07, will do against the 07 Honda Civic Si sedan ? Now that you can compare...

• Options
    I moved the last sub-thread of posts over to the Nissan Versa Leasing discussion. :)
  • Options
    benduprebendupre Member Posts: 121
    The RADAR isn't available in the US. Sounds like a neat feature, but not something I would pay for in a little rollerskate. In my Quest, or in a big SUV, it would be more useful. For parking only though. I wouldn't want it beeping at me just because some jerk was tailgating.

Do you know how long NISSAN has been sellin TIIDA in APAC?

Ben
  • Options
    okcmitchellokcmitchell Member Posts: 9
    I agree with the Versa owner in China, it is a great car! I've had my Versa SL, CVT for almost three weeks and have 2200 miles on it. MPG has gotten better with more miles and last tank was 31. That is mostly highway driving at 75 to 80 mph, all with a/c on. The quiet comfort and smooth ride are amazing for a car this size. On my trip yesterday to Texas, I noticed for the first time how raise and lower the driver's seat. I knew it was a six-way seat, but it really changes things to go up and down with that handle by you right hip. Very much like a "chair" height all the way up and that is comfortable for an old guy like me.
  • Options
    mac444mac444 Member Posts: 9
    The radar doesn't turn on unless you are going about 5 miles per hour or less. The radar also goes on when you shift into reverse. Moving slowly in traffic with drivers trying to cut you off makes the radar useful at slow speeds. And with so many people on bicycles in the street, sometimes I am surprised that the radar goes on letting me know that a person is at the corner of my vehicle. The radar also tells you how close you are to an object. The maximum distance is about 3 feet and minimum about 1 foot. Very useful product especially in Beijing traffic!
  • Options
    204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    mschmal: how is it that the new foci EPA ratings have have increased so much. Has there been a change in engine design or gearing? What kind of reports do you get from owners of Foci. What I can find suggests that not many get over 30 mpg even on the highway.
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    The scientific approach in figuring out why the Focus stick shift mileage rating jumps so high for 2007 would be to track down the gearing specs for 2006 and 2007 and see if the gear ratios for each forward gear, and final drive, are the same - it's possible to "game" the EPA driving cycle by selection of gear ratios. Hopefully that's not what is happening, and Ford got even better control of engine management, on an engine that on the PZEV version is already running so lean it has "flat spots" when you accelerate gently.
  • Options
    wulybugrwulybugr Member Posts: 19
    I have been torn between Versa, Matrix and Focus. It appears
    ford has changed the head on the 07 model which accounts for the MPG increase. However due to poor quality of the interior of the 07 Focus(it is terrible-very cheap-toy like) I have dropped the focus totally. Still struggling with Versa vs matrix. Need real world MPG data from versa owners. Versa is more plush, but matrix more practical
    Wulybugr
  • Options
    why is the Matrix more practical ?

If you really look at the Versa and Matrix you well see the Versa is a better value over all.

Now if you are basing your decision on MPG then go buy a Rabbit Diesel...

The Versa is really a whole different kind of car then the Matrix is, personally I think the Versa is built just as good as the MAtrix and it cost less.
  • Options
    More practical in terms of cargo-haulling perhaps (flat load floor)?
  • Options
    Front passenger seat folding flat? AWD? The matrix competes better with Versa than the Yaris does. Except on price. But maybe some Toyota dealers are more flexible on Matrix than NISSAN dealrs are on Versa right now. One more thing you can't get with Versa (right now) a PRE-OWNED vehicle.

Ben
  • Options
    Ben if someone wants more cargo space then yes the Matrix is the winner, then they should be looking at the Mazda5 which holds more then the Matix..
  • Options
    Right, but price creeps up and up. If you can't afford it, you're back to Versa.

I think the Versa has great space. I just find myself with a little feature envy. I like Matrix's front folding seat. I also think Fit's folding up of the rear seats is clever.

I doubt I could put two 34-gal trash cans in the back of Matrix standing up though. Can in my Versa!

Ben