Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Versa

Comments

• Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Here at Ford, we sell Fusions for $18,700.

Bigger car, bigger engine, better warranty.

Mark.
  • Options
    ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    "Bigger car, bigger engine, better warranty"

All valid points. Hmmm... interesting that you didn't say "better car".
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Bigger engine, and uses more gasoline.
  • Options
    flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Funny thing is, what is the car worth in 5 yrs? When I went looking for a new car, the lease payment on my Versa was better then the Fusion by $50/m.. WHY... Resale value...

Tony
  • Options
    The residule on the Fusion is 50% for 36 months. In line with the rest of the industry. The Taurus was 38%. Ford is choosing not to subsidize the Fusion lease with a lower money factor, that is why the lease is higher.

Mark.
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    The Fusion is 2 feet longer and 6" wider, but the Versa has more 2nd row head and legroom and 2CuFt more luggage space.
    And 23/31mpg for the 4cyl Fusion vs 31/36 for the Versa. And it's a few thousand less.
  • Options
    Funny thing is the Versa Residule is 57%. The Fusion has old technology, no CVT, NO Bluetooth, No Intelli-key (no ford car has this.) Why by olt technology when you can get new Technology and in a roomier car...

End of thread...

Tony
  • Options
    lets not confuse the ford guy with facts....

Tony
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    It's funny you guys downplay the Versa's poor fuel economy and resale value versus its identified competition (Fit and Yaris) or versus its uplevel competition (Civic and Corolla). Now that someone identifies a car that it actually can beat for fuel economy and resale value in the Fusion, fuel economy and resale are all that matters. The Ford easily wins the ride, feel, acceleration, and style versus the Versa. Fuel economy like you guys said before is only a few dollars a month anyway. Resale? Buy a Honda or Toyota, right?

The only real strength I see for the Versa is back seat room. It appears most people can't even get 30 mpg in mixed or highway driving in the Versa if you believe the Edmunds boards. I wonder if the Sentra will actually get better real world mileage than the Versa.
  • Options
    funny thing is weren't we talking about a Fusion... OR are we not talking about FIT and YARIS ? In the real world the YARIS isn't in the same catagory as the VERSA. The Equipment level of th e FIT and YARIS isn't close to the VERSA.

I'm getting 31 wiht my Versa, which is fine with me, since that is better then my 2000 Ford Contour was getting. BTW, same engine as the I-4 Fusion...
  • Options
    For me, I wouldn't consider the Corolla/Civic because they both seem too cramped inside, as compared to a Versa, Fit, Yaris or Fusion if you want to bring that in the mix. In comparing the Fit to the Versa, the Fit handled better and was more sporty, but the Versa was smoother, quieter on the highway, and had more interior creature comforts. I want a 4dr, but the Yaris 4dr seems sort of cheap inside and I don't like the center dash, plus I'd rather have the hatchback.

With respect to the Fusion, it stated that "Ford easily wins the ride, feel, acceleration, and style versus the Versa" but all the reviews of the Versa have indicated that it's smooth and quite, and from what I've read about the Fusion, it's a more racy version of the Mazda6, and it has heavy steering, you feel the bumps more, and there's more interior noise. And I don't believe that the 4cyl engine makes the Fusion seem all that powerful, plus when you get all the options on the Fusion in comparison to the Versa you're talking about at least a $20K Fusion. And styling is purely subjective, so there's no point commenting on how one car has a "better" style.

Bottom line is that the Fusion and Versa aren't even competitors, so it doesn't really matter outside of this forum ;) People are going to cross-shop Fusion/Accord/Altima/Mazda6 and I doubt if Fit or Versa will be in that mix.
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Good replies from both you and flightnurse.

Any chance Nissan might come out with a true B size model to compete with Fit and Yaris? Something that gets 38 or better on the highway. I would also like to see the next Mazda2 imported.
  • Options
    I doubt it. The Versa is the competition for the Fit/Yaris, even if it is a foot longer. The same tall body design. The question is whether there will be any American competitors.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    FWIW, I owned an I4 Contour also. It had a 125 hp 2.0L engine--a far cry from the 2.3L motor in the Fusion.
  • Options
    If you're going to compare the Versa to a Ford, the Focus 5dr would make the most sense.
  • Options
    I'm not comparing anything, I'm just correcting a misstatement in an earlier post.
  • Options
    I truly think people don't understand what Nissan is trying to do, they are not doing the cookie cutter cars. So with that in mind, there really isn't a true competetion for the Versa in its price point. The Versa is a true B car, but they took the design from inside out. Something no other car company is doing today. With the Marriage of a french and Japanses company, we are finally seeing some of the French influence come through... For that, the Versa is in a class by itself...

Tony
  • Options
    jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    Any chance Nissan might come out with a true B size model to compete with Fit and Yaris? Something that gets 38 or better on the highway.

The JDM Nissan NOTE is the direct competition of the Fit and Yaris (5-door Hatchback), but Nissan will not bring the NOTE to North America. Rather, I understand that Nissan is contemplating bringing the funky-looking Cube to compete with the Scion. The Cube, with its 1.5 L engine, gets a good mileage. I personally think that Nissan should have brought either the 1.5 L Versa (as in most Tiidas) or the NOTE to begin with, but it's too late for that now.
  • Options
    the Versa is in a class by itself.

I have to agree. Even in Japan, a market that is jam-packed with excellent small cars, the Tiida is recognized as a car that has upped the ante because of the distinct way the comfort is addressed. Looking around in the world, I cannot come up with any car in this segment that emphasizes the creature comfort the way the 'V' does.
  • Options
    Maybe the Rabbit, but it costs more--particularly as a 5-door. More power, and more luxury available though.
  • Options
    Maybe the Rabbit, but it costs more--particularly as a 5-door. More power, and more luxury available though.

That's exactly the car that I was also thinking about for comparison. In fact, I once read an interview of a Nissan engineer who was on the Tiida team. He was asked how the Tiida compared with the Golf, and he responded, something like, "Well, if we could sell our Tiida at the price the Golf sells, we could easily surpass the Golf," basically admitting at least some level of superiority of the German one. But at the price that the Tiida/Versa sells, I still hold that the 'V' is a class in itself.
  • Options
    Actually, I was surprised to find that the Rabbit MT with optional 16" alloys is only $600 more than the Versa SL MT (with optional ABS and standard 15" alloys). If you can make do with two fewer doors on the Rabbit. The five-door Rabbit is quite a bit more. After driving both, I'd be willing to pay $600 more for the Rabbit.
  • Options
    Actually, I was surprised to find that the Rabbit MT with optional 16" alloys is only $600 more than the Versa SL MT (with optional ABS and standard 15" alloys).

Really?! Now, that's an education for me.
  • Options
    From what I've read, the Rabbit is more like the size of the Fit, and similar to the Fit in sportiness, while the Versa is bigger than both and more comfortable. But then between the Fit and Rabbit, I'd wonder about the higher price and questionable quality.
  • Options
    regarding quality VW has had questionable Quality now on thier lower priced cars... A friend has a 03 New Bettle, the dealer has replaced her window swtichs and window Regulatos 4 times.... She drive only 5500 miles a year...

Tony
  • Options
    What's the quality of the Versa coming out of the Mexican factory so far? Any problems/issues being reported by owners?
  • Options
    What's the quality of the Versa coming out of the Mexican factory so far? Any problems/issues being reported by owners?

Probably the most commonly reported problem of the Versa right now is with the TPMS. But like any problems reported on the internet, I am always suspicious of the skewed sampling error. In other words, I don't know how common "most commonly reported" really is.
  • Options
    Right, it's hard to tell just based on a few reports on Town Hall or anecdotal stories from a friend or co-worker.
  • Options
    So far my Versa has been Flawless regards quality and or problems. Others are having the TPMS light go on, but I haven't had problems with it...

Tony
  • Options
    All TPMSs are affected by temperature change.

If you live in a place with seasonal temp changes, your light will definately come on at some point. every 10 degree drop in temperature lowers the pressure of your tire by about 1 pound.

Always check your tire pressure when the tires are cold and before you go for a trip.
    Also if you replace tires, make sure the tech knows what he is doing.

Mark.
  • Options
    intereting, living here in PHX,AZ, the hottest day was 118 and no TPMS light went on, and so far have driven in 59 Degree weather, and again no TPMS light.. But I'll be looking out for it.

Tony
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I believe the Versa has the basic TPM system that just looks for differences between the tires. It doesn't actually measure the pressure of each tire. So, if all your tires were set to 20PSi (or 50 psi), the TPMS wouldn't care, since they are all the same.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    benduprebendupre Member Posts: 121
    That's not true. It does measure pressure in each tire.

Ben
  • Options
    raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    Any chance Nissan might come out with a true B size model to compete with Fit and Yaris? Something that gets 38 or better on the highway. I would also like to see the next Mazda2 imported.

1. We won't see anything smaller than the Versa in the USA market because the Nissan Note sold in Japan and Europe is pretty much built on the same platform as the Versa.

2. As for the next-generation Mazda2, it's will likely be sold in the USA--Ford has admitted that the next-generation Fiesta B-segment car is coming to the USA using a new platform co-developed with Mazda. This means the new Mazda2 based on this new platform is coming to the USA, too.
  • Options
    1. We won't see anything smaller than the Versa in the USA market because the Nissan Note sold in Japan and Europe is pretty much built on the same platform as the Versa.

As I have mentioned in a previous post, Nissan has been contemplating (but not decided on) bringing its Cube model to North America to compete with Scion. The Cube is available in up to 1.5 L displacement. The Cube should not cannibalize the Versa because of its funky looks that would appeal to a certain market segment only. This is not a rumor - Nissan has officially said that it is examining the possibility.
  • Options
    A cheap type uses ABS sensors to measure wheel spin speeds. Different inflations equals different sized tires which equals different spin speeds. This type of system was used on the Ford Windstar.

Since Versa does not have standard ABS it probably does not use this type of system.

The Other type of TPMS uses a transponder/sensor in each wheel that measures tire presure. This is the system that is becoming mandatory. Assume that this is the type of system in the Versa.

Mark.
  • Options
    I read someplace that Nissan is bring over the Cube or Note to compete with the Scion... That should happen in 08.

Tony
  • Options
    The NOTE is a very nice car. It is designed to directly compete with the Fit and Yaris (Vitz) in Japan, as the Tiida is really one segment above from this group. The NOTE has a cleverly designed cargo area that gives it almost as much flexibility as the Fit. The luggage area also becomes flat when the rear seat is folded. And if compared with the 1.8L Tiida, the NOTE gets about 10% better gas mileage. In some ways, this is the car Nissan should have brought to the U.S. instead of the Versa. In Japan, you can get a well-equipped NOTE for a little over $12,000, with convenience like the Intelligent Key standard (and safety equipment like ABS standard too).

At this juncture, though, bringing the NOTE here would surely cannibalize the Versa, so I strongly doubt that it will ever show up in North America. I have heard Nissan talk about the Note in the U.S., but never the NOTE.
  • Options
    I was told by the dealer that there won't be any SL CVT w/antilock brakes until next Feb? Anyone getting a Versa with this recently?
  • Options
    I have read it in 2 different Mag's that the Versa well not be Nissan's entry level car..

Tony
  • Options
    I have heard Nissan talk about the Note in the U.S., but never the NOTE.

I have meant to say: "I have heard Nissan talk about the Cube in the U.S., but never the NOTE."

I know that Nissan was at one time thinking about bringing the March over to the U.S., and then dropped the idea. I think that's a wise move. In the current iteration, the March would not fare well against the Fit nor Yaris. The NOTE would actually be the perfect entry car for Nissan in the U.S., but, unlike in Japan, that would just totally cannibalize the Versa because of the overlapping price points (esp. with Versa S). If you eliminate the NOTE and March, Nissan only has the Cube and its three-row seat twin, Cube Cubic, left to bring ashore in its compact lineup.
  • Options
    74apollo74apollo Member Posts: 22
    The first dealer I visited ordered me a Versa SL with CVT & ABS back in July. The order was accepted by Nissan and then rejected about two months later. The dealer would not reorder for me. I went to another dealer who went into their computer system and changed the options on a Versa SL they already had in the build system to match what I wanted. The order was accepted with a mid-January delivery date. We'll see. I don't know what the deal is with ABS. They put it on their Sentra.
  • Options
    I was told that there won't be any Versa SL with ABS until Feb'07 due to the fact that they're starting production of the 4 door Versa right now.
  • Options
    hdighdig Member Posts: 3
    It is my understanding that all the Versa SL CVT w/ABS are being sent to Canada because ABS is legally required there. Which left us with a shortage here. AND I realized why my salesman kept downplaying the safety of ABS & trying to sell me a Versa without it.

I ordered the Versa SL CVT ABS about a month ago. Was told then it would be late Dec/early Jan arrival date. Now being told I can expect it late November/first of December. HOWEVER, they still can't give me a VIN on "my car." All I can do is wait & see.
  • Options
    Makes sense. I was looking for an S version of the Versa with ABS and was told most of them were also heading up north. Where I live in Southwest Ohio, it's pretty flat and the winters aren't too bad, so I don't know if I really need ABS. Plus when it's really bad out, I'll take our other car to work which has ABS/traction control. So at this point I'm just looking for a base SL with CVT.
  • Options
    crimsonacrimsona Member Posts: 153
    ABS is not a legal requirement up here. Daytime running lights are. Canadian car mags make a big deal about the SL having ABS standard while the S does not.
  • Options
    hdighdig Member Posts: 3
    ABS is an option on the SL; doesn't come standard. My dealership has received 3-4 SL's the last couple of months without ABS. That's what they tried to talk me into so I could have a car sooner.

ABS is not a legal requirement for new cars in Canada?
  • Options
    Ok here it goes. ABS was never, ever proven to provide any benefit what-so-ever in terms of reducing fatal crashes.

Both the Government and the IIHS devoted many studies to this question. Don't believe me? Just read for yourself:

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/antilock.html

That being said, keep in mind that the Versa is a very light car and has much less inerita to overcome to bring the car to a stop compared to a great big hunking SUV.

If you are not buying a car like this that has standard side airbags, (a huge life saver http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr100506.html) just because it does not have ABS, you are short changing yourself big time.

Do not get caught up in marketing hype about ABS. Some companies that claim to have "standard" ABS on cars in this price range, use an inexpensive system that may not even be effective. Two less effective cheaper kinds of ABS are a vacume powered system previously used by GM and a 3 channel system that does not monitor each wheel independantly.

ABS absolutely cannot provide any substantial reduction in dry stopping distance. Also, ABS cannot compensate for tailgating in the wet.

Mark.
  • Options
    Non-fatal crashes are worth avoiding also.

ABS has benefits in both wet and dry conditions, per the IIHS article referenced above.

Wet: Antilock brakes are designed to help drivers avoid crashes. When a driver hits regular brakes hard, the wheels may lock and the vehicle may skid. Wheel lockup can result in longer stopping distances, loss of steering control and, when road friction is uneven, loss of stability if the vehicle begins to spin. The main advantage of antilocks is that they can reduce these problems on wet and slippery roads.

Dry: Antilocks should not make much difference in stopping distances on dry roads, although they can enhance vehicle stability and allow drivers to maintain steering control during emergency stops when conventional brakes might allow wheel lockup and skidding.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    ABS brakes are proven to provide greater vehicle control to drivers. Greatly improved steering, improved control of vehicle during braking.

ABS may not save your life in an accident, however, I prefer to avoid the accident from occurring and ABS is must have equipment.

ABS is most certainly not a gimmick.