Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Azera vs Toyota Avalon vs Ford Taurus vs Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'm talking about the comments that insult car salespeople as a whole, not the number of comments. Hope this is clearer. (Also, I hope you don't think I was talking specifically to you.)
  • Options
    floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    The general perception is that car salespeople either are trained improperly by their dealerships or do not take the effort to learn on their own about the products that they are selling.
    The same applies to many service advisors.
    It is so refreshing when we encounter a knowledgeable sales person or service advisor.
    With a little more effort, they could make many more loyal customers, and most likely improve their sales and income.
  • Options
    finfin Member Posts: 594
    After reading the many posts above, consider this:

During the '50's and 60's my father bought several new cars from the same man at the same dealership. From 1968 to 1990 I bought 7 new cars from the same guy! And all from the same dealership, although it changed owners once. And added Chevrolet (it was Buick only) in the 80's.

This guy fought WW II, had a college degree and knew more than anybody on the lot about the products. Yes, he was well paid and retired to the beach in 1997 after spending 47 years (about) selling cars. His business was mostly repeat customers, fleet and single, for the last 25 years he worked.

By contrast, today's car salesman is usually in transition... looking for the "better job" down the road. No reason to learn about the product as he won't be there that long. It's not a career, just temporary. And with the internet to educate the consumer, what chance does the salesman have if he gives it less than 100%. Look at the information exchanged here on Edmunds.com, not to mention the dozens of other auto info websites.

The true sales professional will always stand out. Sadly, as I shopped all 4 of the makes in this topic, I did not find any. Got as close as possible, bought the Avy Limited from a nearby dealer based on prior Avalon experience and the excellent service dept. Such is life.....
  • Options
    floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    RE:717
    There still exist some professional and knowledgeable auto sales persons. They are appreciated by their customers, who remain loyal. They can and do make a very good living.
  • Options
    I agree - and several of them are members of our community. :)

This conversation would really be better had in a discussion over on our Smart Shopper board. For those who are not familiar with it, you should check it out. There are some very interesting discussions over there.

Let's get back to comparing the vehicles in the topic, okay? Thanks.
  • Options
    andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    I just had an opportunity to test drive the 2007 Avalon Touring model. Most of the driving was on a relatively empty freeway, so the salesguy told me i could take up to 90 + mph if i wanted. I glady obliged and the car literally took off like a rocket from 60 mph to 100. Could have gone even more but didnt want to push my luck. The Touring suspension really makes a difference in terms of handling and turns the big Avy into a semi sports sedan. I did not have any issue with the transmission as it always found the right gear in a given situation and never got bogged down. All in all a very good experience. Next weekend I am taking my dad to test drive the Lexus ES and IS 350. Basically he has narrowed his choices between one of these three cars. Btw are there anyone here who both owns a 2005 + Avalon and a Lexus ES350 ? If so, how do they compare with each other ?
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    own an 05 Touring now with 50k on it, and still consider it the best car I've ever ownec especially in terms of power and FE (I get 27mpg overall). Don't own the ES or IS but would suggest to you that you will find the ES too soft and the IS too hard - the IS being the only real sports sedan of those vehicles you mentioned.
  • Options
    gwsgws Member Posts: 67
    I haven't owned the two Lexus models you mention, but did replace a Lexus GS400 with a 2005 Avalon. In my view, the Avalon is better value; I have not
    regretted 'trading down' and have just bought a 2007 Avalon.
    I believe the current Lexus ES and IS350 share similar versions of the engine introduced in the 2005 Avalon. Both these cars have smaller cabins than the Avalon - especially the IS, which also has a more sportslike (tighter) suspension.
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Hi Andy;

My uncle owns an 07 IS 350 which he let me drive once. Let me tell that car is wickedly fast. You can easily find yourself in triple digit territory without even trying. Cant tell you anything about the Avalon but he traded in his 2002 Lexus ES for the IS. The IS definitely is quite a bit smaller and has a more stiffer ride. Since his kids are all grown and out of the house, rear sit legroom isn't an issue for him. But if you need to use the backseat on a regular basis, then the IS is not for you. Good luck with your purchase. All three are great cars and you can't go wrong buying anyone of the three.
  • Options
    rance2rance2 Member Posts: 39
    Hi, All -

Any idea when Toyota will make a significant change in Avalon's body style?
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Given the current generation debuted in 2005, and Toyota's normal life cycle for its vehicle, I would say 2009/10 would be good bet to see a redesign.
  • Options
    algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    Concur. 2005 ws present one, now add about 5 years
  • Options
    eurofocussteurofocusst Member Posts: 3
    I'm sorry, but if you people are seriously considering a Hyundai Azera, you must have lost it. Not only is this car a giant version of the boring Sonota, it is a total wannabe luxury car! If you are going to get a new car, take the Avalon or the 500 (although the new taurus is better.) The Impala could not have been any more poorly styled. Its basically an uglier Buick Lucerne.
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Great way to start your first post. Anyway, care to support your reasoning? Or, are you just bashing because a brand is making a great premium large sedan. Go check the sources, don't listen to me, those sources would certainly not back your bashing.

By the way, the Azera is more than just a bigger version of the Sonata (check your spelling), on that note, I found most family sedans equally boring as the Sonata but they all provide fantastic basic transportation. Anyway, did you even do any research to support your reasonings? Next, you are going to tell me the Sonata offers a power rear sunshade, electroluminescent instrument cluster, rain-sensing wipers, 605-watt surround sound 12 speakers, etc...Nope, you wouldn't find them. I would go as far as to say you have not driven either of the two cars, since otherwise you would have cleared noticed the difference between the two.

Next I predict you would tell me Hyundai's (RWD) luxury sedan is just a bigger version of the (FWD) Azera...

Between the Azera and the Avalon, both are great cars and equally as great based on many reviews - I would call it a draw, as both have lots of good attributes but also downsides which I would like to see improved. Personally between the two, I would take the Azera and pocket the cash saved but that's just me.

FWIW, I think Buick Lucerne is quite stylish, relatively speaking with relations to the brand.
  • Options
    dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    Re 727: "if you people are seriously considering a Hyundai Azera, you must have lost it. Not only is this car a giant version of the boring Sonota"

Then with your logic an Avalon is a giant version of the boring Camrey? When you find Honda's giant version of the boring Accord please let us know.
  • Options
    pigmypigmy Member Posts: 11
    I just put 5000 miles on my Limited with Ultimate package and I will have to go to confession ASAP. I have fallen in love with a car for the first time which is an unholy preoccupation with material things. There are two Hill Country roads I regularly use as short cuts that are very windy and hilly. Lots of right angle turns that follow the old ranch property lines that now have 40 mph curves. Hwy 311 between Spring Branch (north of San Antonio) and Hwy 46, then FM 473 between Comfort TX and Hwy 281. I loved to drive these roads without the wife in the car in my 1994 Camry XLE, so I could push it a little without her freaking out, but the big difference is total relaxation in the Azera as well as excellent handling and engine response. When the wife caught me using the manual shift option she said, "I thought it was an automatic transmission!" I responded that manual shift was a guy thing and just plain fun on those roads. I am also a gadget freak and like the power mirrors that can be folded in when you park - especially in our tight garage. We are in our seventies now and I bought the big car for the smooth ride for the wife on long trips and the ability to put in a full size spare. The rest has been a pleasant surprise and the price was right. Consumer reports was right on with this car.
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Euro,

Sounds like you haven't test driven the Azera.

I have test drove the Azera extensively, and it anything but a "wannabe". It's the real deal. It's very quiet, with a tight, controlled ride. The new engine is very smooth and responsive,and fast gaining a reputation for reliability.
  • Options
    gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    "I'm sorry, but if you people are seriously considering a Hyundai Azera, you must have lost it..."

Quite correct. Best thing to do is ignore all lesser brands and buy that Maybach, the 2007 Maybach 62 of course, not the cheaper 57. Don't even glance at the Bentley or Rolls, they're just everywhere, so common... :P
  • Options
    eurofocussteurofocusst Member Posts: 3
    "FWIW, I think Buick Lucerne is quite stylish, relatively speaking with relations to the brand."

Okay, first of all I never said that the Buick was unattractive, I only stated that the Impala is a lesser version of it. Oh, and sorry if I misspelled SONATA because I'm not in a spelling bee.

And can we stick the Forum Title? Excuse me if I improvise another car for one sentence.

Hyundai Azera vs Toyota Avalon vs Ford 500 vs Chevrolet Impala
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    You might want to drive some of these cars before passing judgement on them. I think you might be pleasantly surprised (or unpleasantly, depending on if you are betting against Hyundai). Hyundai isn't the same company it once was (the one passing unreliable, low-quality vehicles at dime-store prices). They have made MAJOR strides in only a few years, and I can't wait to see what they offer in the next generation of sedans. The better they get, the better the competition must get (and the better the playing field becomes for customers). Hyundai, GM, etc... getting good isn't something to get upset about; it's good news for the consumer.

To paraphrase; "they've come a long way baby. Uh huh, uh huh."

:)

(PS: To put any Hyundai bias aside, I've never owned a Hyundai vehicle, and don't intend to buy one in the near future. They are certainly worth a second look however!).
  • Options
    I welcome advice on following.

Currently own a 2004 Sonata fully loaded V6 with only 22,000 miles. Will buy an Azera Limited with Ultimate package. How would you negotiate price and trade-in value?
  • Options
    Re 735: Your dealer should welcome you with open arms. From a Sonata to the Azera flagship is the logical brand upgrade. Plus, you will get the "loyalty" discount in addition to the current rebate.

Last October I got a $1,000 rebate, + $1,500 "lease incentive discount" + $500 loyalty as my wife has a Santa Fe.

Your Sonata trade in will bring highest dollar at a Hyundai dealer, obviously unless you sell privately.

Good luck!
  • Options
    rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    First there are two Azera ultimate packages.

The new Ultimate package 25 includes XM and the Infinity Logic 7 surround sound, 12 speakers, sub woofer and 605-watt amp. The older Ultimate 04 package is without XM and has the 315-watt amp with 10 speakers.

Second whichever ultimate package you want. You need to determine what would be a good deal for the car you want to buy. Suggest you get quotes from as many dealers near you as possible. Also visit the Hyundai Azera Prices Paid and Buying Experience Forum as this site will tell you what other buyers near you and around the country are paying for Hyundai Azeras.

Third you need to determine the trade in value for your 04 Sonata. Suggest you use the Kelly Blue Book and the Edmunds used car appraisal web sites.
  • Options
    Great feedback! Thanks so much. All other responses welcome as well.
  • Options
    Will appreciate any experiences with above. Thanks.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    There was a comment earlier on one of Edmunds.com forums regarding Hyundai's shifting demographics. Apparently, more affluent people are now buying Hyundais as compared to previous years. And, the obvious question was: Why? Many posters felt that those with more disposable income could afford to "take a chance," and not worry about their decision.

I disagree. Those with higher levels of disposable income did not attain that level of financial success by making bad decisions. These folks can tell value when they see it, much like those who were buying Hondas and Toyota when it was not fashionable to do so three decades ago. Additionally, some more affluent individuals don't need to impress anyone other than themselves, thus they could care less what others think.

I can remember when I told my father-in-law in 1972 that I was buying a Toyota, and he thought I was crazy. The longer you live, you realize "the more things change, the more they stay the same."
  • Options
    zredsoxzredsox Member Posts: 90
    Will appreciate any experiences with above. Thanks.

rance2 -

I live in Richmond, Virginia. I purchased a 2006 Azera Limited Ultimate in July of 2006. Prior to my purchase, I contacted every Hyundai dealership in Richmond, Petersburgh, Charlottesville, Williamsburg, Fredericksburg and maybe a few other places I don't remember. Most all of these dealerships were crude, slick, hucksterish in their dealings with me. You know, "What's it gonna take to put me in a vehicle today?"

One person at one dealership was not like all the rest and he was professional and reasonably knowledgeable about his product.This person was Andrew Getchell at West Broad Hyundai in Richmond, VA. He handles internet sales and can be reached at andrewg@pageauto.com West Broad Hyundai also has a website. I negotiated everything over the internet with him and never met him personally until I went in to sign the papers. He was always very responsive to my questions and we communicated quite openly via e-mail. It was the least stressful automobile purchase I've ever made and I'm 65 and have purchased my share of cars over the years.

If you're curious about the Azera I purchased, you can go to the PHOTOS section of this forum and type in Don's 2006 Azera , then choose my album from the selections that come up. I have a couple of albums within this master album. You may be most interested in the album called zredsox's 2006 azera as it shows some of the modifications I've made to the car.

I love this car. Good luck in your pursuit of an Azera.
  • Options
    Thanks. I'm in Richmond too and will follow your advice.
  • Options
    bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    All of you with preconceived ideas should drive the "new" Taurus or Sable. Aside from the obvious increase in power, the most notable factor is the increase in refinement. And it is more comfortable and roomy than any of the other vehicles under discussion. And it has a price advantage. I prefer the Sable's exterior treatment to the Taurus'.
  • Options
    musgrovemusgrove Member Posts: 6
    This is my first post. Previous posts have been pretty informative. The CR reports were very nice to look at. Pretty eye opening on certain things like the average FE. I do put stock in what CR reports and past purchases such as plasma TV were based in part on their reports. My personal observation is that about 10% of the posters do 90% of the posting. I also think the host does a pretty good job of keeping the posts on the subject at hand.

My wife and I are retired and thus on a fixed income. This makes it pretty easy for me to know what kind of monthly car payments we can afford. Tend to drive the cars until past when they are paid off as long as they are still reliable. I do not want to be stranded if it can be helped. Current car = paid off '02 Dodge Intrepid with 121K. Also have a 1-year old Dodge Ram 2500 with the cummins and a $800 monthly payment. The price we are looking at is the $30-35 thousand range. Will not test drive until we get ready to buy then will test drive the cars we have narrowed it done to. The Azera is a new and surprising member of my short list. The other cars being considered are the Toyota Avalon, Buick Lucerne, and an older LS430. About weekly I get on the net and look at what kind of used/new cars in the above makes and models can be had for that price range. I general buy used and am not afraid of high milage. Biggest shocker to me so far is the FE of the new cars being considered. My old Intrepid gets a legit 29-30 mpg @ 70 mph and overall average of maybe 24-25? The new cars are nicer but the overal FE about the same. I appreciate this forum very much for the comments on how the various cars run out by those who actually own one or have actually driven one. Posts by someone who had a friend of a friend or relative drive one are based on hear-say and I ususualy blow them off.
  • Options
    cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    We, like you, are retired, on a fixed income, etc. We purchased an Azera last December and couldn't be happier.

We were looking for a car with reliability and a long warranty - the Azera has both. GM offers a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty also, but caps it at 5 years. Without the work commute, we put less than 10,000 miles a year on a car, so Hyundai covers our car for 5 years more than the GM warranty.

If you're going to lease, Avalon is a contender with the Azera because of the higher residual value - even though the sales price will be higher, the payment may be similar.

We purchased ( not leased ) our Azera for at least $5000 less than a comparable Avalon or V8 powered Buick Lucerne ( even with my GM discount ). The Avalon and Lucerne were still contenders but the deal breaker for us was lack of folding seats on them. We don't own a truck so the folding seat and huge trunk allow us to haul almost anything.

Due to our low annual mileage, fuel economy is not terribly important, the Avalon does better and the Lucerne does worse, but the Azera returns about 30MPG in straight highway driving and 21-22MPG overall.
  • Options
    scbobscbob Member Posts: 167
    I considered the Avalon, Lexus ES350, Infiniti G35 and Acura TL and added the Azera due to all the positive publicity. While money is always a consideration, it was not the most important to me.
    Ruled out the Avalon early on due to interior and exterior design. Also, it is way overpriced and Toyota and Lexus dealers were not willing to budge much on price. Selling cars based on reputation and not value.
    The others I ruled out after six months and at least three test drives in each.
    The Azera tends to roll/wallow on rough roads, but overall ride is superior to Acura and Infiniti and comparable to Lexus. Got an Ultimate for $26,500 with rebate. Has more safety and bells and whistles than the others.
  • Options
    quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Funny thing is I ended up with an Impala and I'm happy with it but I was never shown an Avalon or an Azera. When I was shopping, I visited a Toyota/Hyundai dealership to look at the Camry and Sonata but the arrogance of the salesman was so great that he never even suggested I look at an Avalon or Azera. While I doubt I would've been interested in the Avalon, I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't get a chance to consider the Azera. I doubt I would've chosen a different car because I ended up with the V8 powered SS but my sister may have bought the Azera. Someday those Toyota dealers will learn although I don't expect it to be very soon.
  • Options
    Re748: Arrogance or maybe stupidity of the salesman not to take you straight to the top of the line Avalon/Azera. Always easier to trade down than up, selling skills 101.

What is more amazing than the dufas salesman is that Hyundai would even place their line at a dealership resulting in a dual/secondary position against Toyota. What a sharp as a ball decision that was.
  • Options
    Host, can we rename this thread to included the "Taurus" now?
  • Options
    Go to Consumer Reports website and get the New Car Buyers Guide. it cost about $30, but you get to use it for 90 days for any number of cars and any number of times. Plus, the cost they give includes the dealer holdbacks, discounts, etc.
  • Options
    Or is everyone in the other "Mainstream Large Sedans" comparison thread?

Should we consolidate these? Nobody seems to be using this one anymore!
  • Options
    I agree, delete this one in favor of Mainstream Large Car.
  • Options
    We're not hurting for discussion space! ;) This can stay here. If no one wants to continue this conversation, it will go away.

OTOH, if people keep making posts - even if they are to say get rid of this - it won't!! :)
  • Options
    clecayenneclecayenne Member Posts: 8
    The Avalon is a really great deal because it has the same great engine in all 4 models and the touring has sport-tuned suspension that has a great ride.
  • Options
    On the other hand, the same case could be made for the Taurus, only better.

The Taurus at $24k has the same engine as the top models (260 hp). The cheapest possible Avalon with Stability Control (standard on Taurus) was over $29k on MSRP, and there were only 2 in the southeast equipped for this price. 2! That includes ALL colors of Avalon XL cloth with VSC. Meaning, that in all likelihood, you won't be able to find one this cheap.

The Taurus also offers AWD, something the Avalon doesn't.

When it comes down to dollars, the Taurus really delivers for your money.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946
    Traction control is standard on the Taurus but stability (advance trac in Ford talk) is optional. I know where you are going and the Taurus is a great value, but the Avalon is better equipped in XL form than a 24K Taurus. Auto temp, auto headlights, full sized spare, reclining rear seats, etc. Add those features in and the price gap narrows.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Ah, sorry. I've recently started shopping cars with (and for) my grandmother, and we had looked at the Taurus SEL. I was thinking it came with Stability Control standard. I do understand the difference in TC and SC, but was apparently misinformed about the Ford. And yes, things like auto-temp and auto headlights are things that narrow the price gap, but you have to want those things for the gap to narrow.

For my grandmother, the thought of the nice cushy ride is appealing, but a larger price is not. She's not one for "fancy" features. Her three previous cars are a 1991 Civic DX (bottom level model, she had A/C added as an option!), 1996 Accord LX, and currently has a 2002 Accord LX. The Accords are fine rides, if fairly basic (PW, PL, mediocre stereos and so on). She wouldn't care to learn how to use things like reclining seats, auto temp, or auto lights. She'd want to be able to control all of those things herself (she doesn't like the Automatic Climate Control in her sister's [my aunt's] 2005 Odyssey either). She likes basic. The base model Taurus isn't "BASIC" but it is easier for her to use with manual A/C controls, etc.

She has a computer, but it is like pulling teeth to get her to use it :). She's 72.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946
    It may not come standard but would be willing to bet that almost all models on the lots are optioned that way. The Avalon is like that too, get used to it SC will be mandated on all cars in the next few years.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    She has a computer, but it is like pulling teeth to get her to use it. She's 72.

Gotta answer that! My 81 year old father and 78 year old mother are avid computer users!! They don't know or care much about cars, but they couldn't live without their computer. :P
  • Options
    Well, in my grandmother's defense, she was a manager in word-processing at an insurance company for 53 years (Same Company for that long!) so she certainly knows how to use the computer, but I think she's had her fill of them! She started on a typewriter, but has been on a computer monitor for at least two decades.

She knows how, as she used to type 130 WPM! She just doesn't want to do it anymore.
  • Options
    It may not come standard but would be willing to bet that almost all models on the lots are optioned that way.

Do a search for Avalon XL, cloth in your area, and see how many have VSC. In my ZIP, 35023, there were 115 Avy XL models, but only 2 of those had VSC.
  • Options
    Well, then, don't blame it on her age!! :P ;)
  • Options
    cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    Ain't it the truth. The average car buyer would much rather spend his money on a stereo upgrade, or shiny wheels, or whatever; than on stability control, or ABS, or curtain airbags, or any other safety equipment.
    The cars on lots are spec'd out accordingly. If such equipment is not standard, odds are you're not going to find it in large numbers.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I don't know how you determine the "aveage car buyer." Maybe it's within your peer group. The average 25 yr old may have different priorities than the 35 yr old, who may have different priorities than the 45 yr old and so on.

Anyone with hearing loss, and there are a lot us (not just old folks) don't care all that much about "killer" stereo systems. Shiny wheels? Yeah, they usually look good but they don't do anything for you when you're driving the car and others only really get to notice them when you're stopped or parked.

Safety features and cabin interior (like the grad says) are higher on my list than some exterior feature that might impress someone I don't even know.

Frankly, I don't buy a car to try to impress anyone. I buy based upon what I can afford and will give me the most value, comfort, features, dependability, etc for the money.
This discussion has been closed.