Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Fit v. Hyundai Accent

12346»

Comments

• Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    nope. I order mine direct from the assembly line where I get my car exactly the way I want it; not the way the dealer wants to give it to me. So, no; I never have test driven the exact cars I buy.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You don't drive the cars you order before accepting delivery? You have that right... just make it part of the purchase agreement.

I have had cars shipped in from out of town before when the dealer didn't have exactly what I wanted. (For some makes, there is no ability to order from the factory... including the Honda Fit and Hyundai Accent I believe, the subjects of this discussion.) In that case, I made it a condition of the purchase agreement that I could drive the car before finalizing the purchase and could refuse to buy and get my deposit back for any reason--which would include lower than expected fuel economy. Or damage during transit, or I just didn't like the color when finally seeing it up close etc. I haven't had to reject a car yet, but I like having the final say-so on whether to pay a lot of money for a car I didn't get to see or drive before initiating the purchase.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    it is very difficult to order from the factory. I just hold my breath and stomp my feet for hours until I get my way. :D With the last car we bought (H Elantra Touring), I made the dealer drive 5 hours to swap out a car to get the one I wanted. White with the PP#2 and bluetooth was not easy to find in the USA. Hyundai has a policy of "not allowing" orders from Korea, so I punished the dealer by making them earn their keep. The car before that (Pontiac Vibe AWD), I had my car built to specs at the Corolla plant at NUMMI. Both of these accomplishments were done with the strong backing of a great buying service we have in our area. I can't imaging buying a house that I was sort of OK with, or that I was sort of OK with the neighborhood. I won't do it with my second most expensive purchase either. There are plenty of other same make/model cars to test drive and as long as there is a nationally backed warranty on the vehicle I am buying, I am not concerned about not having driven the exact car I am buying ahead of time. ((commentator's voice)): Do not attempt this with a used vehicle. Driven on a closed course. :shades:
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I can't imaging buying a house that I was sort of OK with, or that I was sort of OK with the neighborhood.

And I'll bet you'd never buy a house without first giving that particular house a thorough inspection... not a house that might have exactly the same floor plan. ;)

Warranties are great, but not foolproof. For example, often have you read posts in Town Hall re someone getting far lower than expected fuel economy, e.g. 30 mpg in moderate highway driving on a 40 mpg car, taking the car to the dealer, and having the dealer say, "Sorry, it's operating to spec. Nothing we can do about it."? There are defects that are difficult to pin down. Also some cars have annoying rattles from Day 1, also difficult to trace and correct. So I'd just rather drive the car I'm buying, before buying it. To each his own.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    no, I'd certainly rather try out the one I'm buying; it just isn't always realistic. For instance, within a year, I will likely get on a greyhound bus or plane to journey to where I can obtain a used, white Honda Fit with Navigation (hands free phone) somewhere in the USA. I will hope that it is a certified Honda, so I can at least have an extended warranty pinned to it.