Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW X5 Maintenance and Repair

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    markbmwx5markbmwx5 Member Posts: 3
    Yes we did but nothing ... dont know what else to do. :mad:

Anymore suggestions ?

thanks
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Without codes any diagnosis become quite difficult and near impossible from a distance. Generally speaking, if a car is stalling and doesn't throw codes, I'd tend to suspect a fuel delivery issue, since the fuel system usually doesn't throw codes.
  • Options
    realwoman4yarealwoman4ya Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 BMW x5 6cyl that has been having problems with burning oil since new. While under warranty dealer said oil burn was normal. it’s not on the ground. I replace the gaskets at about 80k miles. I currently have 207K miles, bought it new, and oil and antifreeze is mixing. I have been told it is on a death march. Currently the only thing that is holding it together is the Lucas oil stabilizer. I'm burning about 2qt per 1000 miles for the past 2-3 years. No one could tell me where the oil was going. is anyone with a 2001 x5 having problems with excessive burning oil? I have spend a fortune on this vehicle. Looking for options.
  • Options
    With that high mileage there aren't many options except a short block--doing an upper cylinder rebuild on the heads will only aggravate the oil burning on such an old engine. The "death march" part is because if antifreeze is mixing with your oil you will ruin the engine bearings. I don't see how an additive would help this.

Hard to say why the oil is burning but a cylinder leakdown test would certainly tell you exactly what the problem(s) might be.
  • Options
    jellybeann77jellybeann77 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    I have a 2003 X5 4.4i and theres a message saying check coolant level, which i did and its low.
    Is there a specific coolant that i should get?
  • Options
    BMW Antifreeze/Coolant Part Number 82 14 1 467 704

you can buy it on Amazon but I think other places might even be a bit cheaper.
  • Options
    paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    This is typical BMW. "Go to the dealer and buy our special engine coolant".
    It's nothing but regular coolant. Go with a name brand and you're fine.
    I've used regular Prestone on my wife's 325xi which had a coolant sensor that leaked coolant and never had any issues.

I use the extended life Prestone on my X5 with no issues as well. Why I use the extended life? No real reason since I did not swap out all of the coolant; I just added to it. My thought was some day I would come back in and do a full drain and flush but I have never flushed the engine block so it's half extended life coolant/half regular.
  • Options
    yeah but the BMW coolant is only $4 a gallon more than the Prestone.
  • Options
    fancyffancyf Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 X5 and the dealer had to jump the battery to start the car. The navigation monitor hasn't come on yet and the radio, while it does turn on, turns off after about 10 minutes. It turns immediately back on but I'm wondering why this happens.

Is it because the battery was dead and needs to charge back up? I also noticed that I can't open the back doors using the remote entry or the button on the center console. Also battery related?
  • Options
    rajackson6rajackson6 Member Posts: 1
    Say, did your self-leveling suspension ever get fixed? My 2006 X5 is back in the shop after less than 500 miles...will not stay? Local BMW service is dumbfounded, cannot get it right...replaced mats, computer, etc. ANY IDEAS???
  • Options
    jessisluv1jessisluv1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 X5 and my car just did this today. How much where your repairs? More than $500?
  • Options
    jellybeann77jellybeann77 Member Posts: 2
    They were about $1700 a side... Pretty pricey and what happen with mine is one side went and then a month to the day, the other side went... Hopefully it's cheaper with your mechanic
  • Options
    bman7bman7 Member Posts: 2
    I am leasing a new x5 and not sure if I need the tire insurance. I have always purchased it on sedans but not with any suvs. Any help/guidance is most appreciated
  • Options
    bobjuneyabobjuneya Member Posts: 1
    Hello...Wandering if you ever got an answer to this. I just bought one and it does the same thing.
  • Options
    jessisluv1jessisluv1 Member Posts: 2
    No I didn't, I ended up spending $570 in repairs when O get home I'll look at the work order to give you more info.
  • Options
    ohiokohiok Member Posts: 2
    Resetting fuel gauge

I left my GPS on and it pulled down the battery in my '03 BMW X5. I recharged the battery. When I started the car, the fuel gauge read empty. I know I had a 1/2 tank! Just to be sure I topped the tank, 11 gal. Now the gauge reads half full?

Any thoughts?