Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa Real World MPG

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    If the car tests to specs in whatever tests it is they do, then it almost has to come down to driving conditions/style. That's really the only thing left if there's nothing wrong with the car mechanically.

I know of someone who lives nearby, so they're driving basically the same roads as I am, but they get significantly less mileage than I do. The reason? They like to feel the snappy feel of the car, accelerating hard from lights, cornering hard, etc. So the fact that they get lower mileage then me with the same car has a rational explanation beyond "there MUST be something wrong with the car".

Driving conditions and/or driving styles are MAJOR factors in mileage performance. It hasn't mattered what vehicle we've had over the last 30 years, we've always been right at the EPA sticker numbers for our cars. Over the course of 9 different cars, that has to be attributable to driving style in combination with the roads we drive on.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    As a method to control the driving style/environment, what I always suggest is the following:
    (1) Take your car out to a freeway/highway. Immediately before you get on the freeway/highway, fill the car up.

(2) Drive the car, preferably using the cruise control if yours has it, for a minimum of one hour at a constant speed. Two hours is even better.

(3) Get off the freeway/highway, and immediately fill the car up.

(4) Calculate the mileage right there.

If your car gets a decent mileage per (4) above, meaning that it gets somewhere close to the EPA rating for the highway, then the car is fine. Any fluctuation of gas mileage should then be attributed to driving styles and/or environmetal factors, including such thing as the gasoline (i.e. E10 versus 100% gas - verify what your favorite gas station dispenses).

The control of the above procedure is to provide the car with an optimum driving condition that cannot easily be varied by driving styles.
  • dustymoonrisedustymoonrise Member Posts: 6
    My wife can't stand the fact that I can average 31 to 33 mpg when I drive her Versa, as opposed to the 26 to 28 mpg she gets! It all boils down to different driving habits! I must say, however, that the Versa is more prone to fluctuations in driving conditions affecting fuel economy than other vehicles I have driven! My '04 Toyota Echo rarely gets under 42 mpg regardless of how hard and fast I drive it, and I drive it however I like!
  • robmonsterrobmonster Member Posts: 4
    I was considering buying a Versa or Fit recently and ran across many Versa owners upset with the gas mileage. From what I read on different forums I believe that many owners are getting great gas mileage and many others are getting horrible gas mileage (i.e. well below the EPA estimates).

Everyone is talking about O2 sensors and whatnot, but I believe it could just be the odometer. Has anyone with bad mileage checked their odometer? Maybe, as a rough test, drive your Versa on a 10 mile (as logged by your odometer) journey from your driveway and take the same journey with another car. Verify that they both read about the same distance on the odometers. A slight variation on the odometer would totally revise your MPG calculations! Just a thought.
    I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that it's just the differences in driving styles and road conditions that different owners have.

Mileage discrepencies are not unique to the Versa by a long shot. One of the things I do around here is edit consumer submitted reviews on all sorts of different cars. Mileage complaints in reviews are very common, and most of the time are accompanied by listings of favorite features of the vehicle that read like this...

It really gets off the line fast, but the brakes wear out too soon and the mileage stinks.

Gee, I wonder why?
  • robmonsterrobmonster Member Posts: 4
    I agree that driving styles and road conditions are a HUGE factor.

I also agree that mileage discrepancies are not unique to the Versa; I know several Fit, Civic, Corolla, etc. owners who are upset with their mileage. Case in point, my fiance gets low mileage out of her Civic, but when I drive I get really high mileage (she has a red-headed temper and always pushes the boundary between being on time and being late).

What I was concerned with was the number of drivers reporting that they were shifting before 3000rpm, going 55mph on the highway, setting the cruise to maintain speed, and using other techniques (besides the advanced and sometimes dangerous hypermiler techniques) to save on gas and are still reporting less than 25mpg. I figure these people deserve some type of answer (not that I know the answer, I was merely throwing out a suggestion that the odometer might be calibrated to a smaller tire or something).
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    My guess is that is a person is getting really poor MPG then there's some additional friction somewhere in the drivetrain, which could be a signal to a mechanical failure in the future of something.

It's funny to me when people say "it's the driver" when it comes to MPG, but then they never say that when it comes to water pump failure, transmission failure, AC failure, etc... Cars are not identical mechanically and if they were, then every part would break at the exact same time, which isn't the case. So that means engine and other components are slowly failing at different rates.

Maybe you have a AC compressor that's slowly failing and creating additional friction that reduces MPG slightly. The AC works, but the additional friction will cause it to fail earlier than average. Or some additional friction within the transmission. The hurts MPG and may cause the transmission to fail early. Or maybe some electrical component is drawing more electricity then normal...again this can hurt MPG slightly. And on and on.

So the sum of all these tiny imperfections in every component in a car will lead to different failure rates of parts, as well as different MPG. That's why MPG is such a broad range. So for those folks who are told it their driving habits and driving conditions, go get a rental car (the same as the car you're driving) for a week and compare MPG. If you're able to get better then aveage MPG in the rental, then it's probably not your driving habits or driving conditions...it's the car.
    OK, I just spent the last couple of weeks pushing my Toyota Echo to the limits...I ran the AC constantly, I used "jack rabbit" starts and stops, I drove way too fast for each gear range, and way too slow for each gear range, I let it idle repeatedly, I started as soon as the engine "caught", I didn't shift gears either going up or down hills, basically tried to emulate any kind of bad driving behavior i could think of. The results? I only got 40 mpg these last two tankfulls as opposed to the normal average 43 mpg I usually get. Nissan needs to find out what the "weak points" of their engines are that do not allow them to "level out" different driving conditions! And remember, I am a Nissan employee! I welcome comments from greater minds than mine who can point us in the right direction when it comes to mpg!
    And, by the way, my Echo has 124,329 miles on the odometer as of this morning!
    Nissan needs to find out what the "weak points" of their engines are that do not allow them to "level out" different driving conditions!

I am suspecting that Nissan already knows what or where these "weak points" are. Even if they knew, though, Nissan would never tell us what those points are because they would become a representation of sorts, which is a legal gas tank being checked with a lit match.
    Enjoyed the analogy of "legal gas tank..." I needed that laugh!
  • hbfeverhbfever Member Posts: 13
    Sorry of this has already been covered.

I have a one year old, 6-speed, SL that has just over 5600 miles on it. I don't drive that much and I am far from a speedster. Since I bought the vehicle I haven't been exactly impressed with its fuel economy. I have adopted the 1-2-5 shifting regimen the last few months and my range has increased around 20-30 miles.

I have had the tire pressure light on for the last couple months. I have repeatedly checked my tire pressure (TP) and kept it at 32, like it says on the placard in the door frame. Last week, I took my Versa into the dealer because it was having some starting issues. When they saw the TP light, they asked what I kept my TP at and I said 32. They, the dealer, then told me that Nissan recommends that Versa TP be somewhere between 35-38, even though the placard says 32.

Needless to say, the car rides much nicer than it has in some time. I have yet to run through a full tank with the new TP but I am curious to see what effect it has on economy.
    Yes, raising the tire pressure above the manufacturer's recommendation can help with the mileage by reducing the rolling resistance. Naturally, there is a limit to doing this for safety's and ride's sake, but +10 to +15% of the spec is something that I do regularly with the household's vehicles. And yes, it makes a difference with the mileage.
  • winkie733winkie733 Member Posts: 14
    I have an 07 Versa SL sedan auto. I have complained in this forum and to the Nissan dealership about my poor mileage. 08 mileage ratings are 27-33. I have yet to reach 26mpg, my best being 25.8. I've tried driving conwervatively, e.g., under 60 mph on highway,but that didn't help. The dealer also told me to keep my TP up to @38psi, which I did. That also helped my ride, but did nothing for the mileage. Seems like their are lots of Versa owners on this blog who have the same problem. Most of us probably bought this car for its advertised fuel economy. We should unite and force Nissan to give us a cash settlement to make up for the significant underperformance that borders on deceptive advertising. Are there enough of us to be a force? I'd like to get an idea of how many of us there are. Any thoughts from others on this?
    We should unite and force Nissan to give us a cash settlement to make up for the significant underperformance that borders on deceptive advertising.

I understand your frustration and do feel bad for your plight. About "deceptive advertising," one problem with that is the MPG figures are provided by EPA, and Nissan just puts out what the government is giving. Every automobile ad is always careful to say "EPA Mileage of xx city, xx highway." So you see, Nissan would have a pretty solid defense against any claim of deception which, legally speaking, requires a specific intent to defraud, which is very difficult if not outright impossible to prove when the U.S. Government is the actual source of information.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Adding air pressure to the tires should add to the fuel economy numbers and improve handling. Unlike mentioned in a couple of posts, it also hurts ride as it makes the car more sensitive to bumps, but I don't believe the Versa has too rough a ride when compared with some others in this class.
    Had my 6 speed Versa about 13 months now, right around 24,000 miles on it. Last tank got me 32 mpg.
    I'm not alleging that there is intent to defraud buyers of Nissan Versas. I'm saying that, if Nissan got enough complaints from Versa owners that a significant percentage of their cars underperformed relative to the EPA mileage range that Nissan Co. led the owners to believe they would receive if they bought the car, then they might be pressured into a cash settlement to make up for such a high percentage of dissatisfied customers. I've heard, but can't prove, that such precedents have been set when large numbers of customers make a common complaint to auto makers. I think it is worth the effort to see how many owners are complaining of significant mileage underperformance. By the way, I filled up today, and my mileage was 24.89mpg. As I've said before, I have yet to reach the minimum EPA estimate of 27mpg in my 07 automatic with CVT.
  • andongho75andongho75 Member Posts: 1
    Oh man, That is exactly what is happening to me too.
    I have 2008 Versa with CVT. Every time I fill up the tank with 11Gal, I can only do 180 miles which will be about 16 MPG. It is really frustrating. I going to take my Versa to the dealler soon.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I just got my Versa, and compared to my other econo-cars, it revs very willingly and quietly. Usually I am in the "back of the pack" at the stoplight drag races, but with the Versa I have to watch myself and use a light throttle - it's all to easy and tempting to wind it out a little, give it a little more throttle, and of course that burns up gas.

I have gotten really good mileage with almost all my cars (except the PT Cruiser, which is a notorious gas hog, in the EPA rating and in "real life") by driving easy - no more than 1/4 throttle for acceleration, putting it in neutral and coasting to a stoplight instead of keeping the gas on and braking at the last moment, reading the traffic ahead of me and coasting down when traffic is slowing on the freeway, etc. Of course the biggest gas saver (and also my biggest gas expense, in absolute terms) is the fact that I have a long freeway commute which is usually pretty free flowing, and home and work are both close to off-ramps.

By way of example, my wife got 14 mpg on our Impala in her short trip, around home driving, when I took the Impala over from her, my mileage computer indicated 26.5 and I got 26 (writing down mileage on every gas receipt, calculating and averaging mileage over a long baseline). Ditto with the PT Cruiser - 17 mpg for her, 24-25 for me. 35 mpg on a Scion xA, 38 on a Yaris (why? go figure - same engines, but the Yaris might have been a little lighter and had different gearing). 37 on my first tank on the Fit.

I'll let you know how it works on the Versa. It could be a problem with the drivers, or a problem with the car. At first I was blaming the car, since there are more complaints about low mileage on the Versa than praise for good mileage, and usually numbers don't lie. But now I think it's just slightly possible that the Versa performs too well for its own good - the Fit is fast too, but it pushes back and lets you know you are pushing it, keeping drag-racing toned down. But the Versa is a lot quieter and smoother, too easy to "drive harder." Go figure.
    I've heard, but can't prove, that such precedents have been set when large numbers of customers make a common complaint to auto makers.

Yes, there have been class action suits filed against various automakers on these bases, but I have never heard of anyone prevailing in the end. If I were Nissan's attorney, I would NEVER let my client pay to anyone who complains about the mileage, since that would be a slippery slope that knows no end.

It is extremely frustrating to buy a product as expensive as a car and to find out that it does not perform as expected. I would like you to succeed in compelling Nissan to "pay up." However, to be honest, it would not be an easy battle.
    Why should a car owner have to "read traffic", or "put the car in neutral and coast to at stop", or "avoid fast starts", or go through any such bull**** in order to achieve the mileage that Nissan says you should get? In fact, doing any of those things is as dangerous as talking on a cell phone - it is distracting. You should be able just to drive the damn car without constantly thinking about what new thing you can do to get the mileage you were promised. If the Yaris driver who posted a while back can still get great mileage despite doing everything in his power to lower his mpg, then why can't a Versa driver get it by driving normally. The attitude i'm getting from some responders is why big car companies can continue to screw those who buy their products, the "oh, well, they might resist and we can't do anything anyway, blah, blah, blah. Nissan marketed the Versa as a high-mileage vehicle. It is turning out not to be that for many of us. I think that all those who are really bothered by this should unite and present our case to Nissan. Perhaps we could decide to do an an masse email to the CEO of the Nissan and register formal complaints, or contact a lemon law attorney, etc. At least, we should discuss our options, and this forum is a good as any place to start.
    This has just been my experience as a host here, but complaints that there "must be something wrong with the car" are pretty much identical in every make and model where mileage is discussed in the forums.

So many things can adversely affect mileage performance. Let's ignore driving style for the moment. How about driving conditions? Someone driving their Versa in a hilly area or in heavier traffic than I face certainly isn't going to get the same mileage performance.

There's no way to do it, but I would love to be able to take out a car that someone is not satisfied with the mileage on and put it through MY driving style and conditions for a week and see what the result is.

I know for a fact that driving style has a lot to do with it. I sold a Sentra to a local buyer when I bought my Versa a little over a year ago. I was getting 33-34 mpg drving around town here. Today I happened to run into the guy I sold it to and asked him how things were going. He told me he wasn't even getting 30 mpg. Now since we're driving on the same roads, and it's the same car, that pretty much means their driving style costs them at least10% in mileage compared to what I got. While I'm no hypermiler, I wasn't trying to drive the Sentra like a sports car either.
    Why should a car owner have to "read traffic", or "put the car in neutral and coast to at stop", or "avoid fast starts", or go through any such bull**** in order to achieve the mileage that Nissan says you should get?

You should be able just to drive the damn car without constantly thinking about what new thing you can do to get the mileage you were promised.

If I were an attorney trying to certify a suit against Nissan as a class action, and heard you say the above, I would ask you not to join our class, as you would jeopardize our chance against Nissan. Your thinking is basically that "a car should get the mileage I want no matter what I do or don't do." By saying this, you are handing Nissan a great defense material.

A car's fuel efficiency is never a product of vacuum. As others have pointed out, there are many variables that play a role, some more significantly than others. EPA estimates are a product of parameters set by the testing agency, and all of their parameters have a significant bearing on how the numbers are derived.

Drivers are one variable that is rather significant. To give you an example, my wife and I have always had two vehicles, and sometimes we switch cars to see how we do in terms of MPG. I always, regardless of which car I drive, always get 5 to 10% better mileage than my wife does, even though our driving routes are essentially the same. In our instance, the so-called "driving style" is a major variable.

Driving environments are just as important a variable. There is a big difference between an open highway and the Manhattan traffic. Gasoline factors in, too. Where I live, the gas is always E10. When we go into another state where ethanol is not mixed in, the mileage picks up.

And then, there is the car. In my experience, some cars experience wild fluctuations in the mileage obtained. Such cars are very sensitive to changes in all these variables that I have mentioned, for whatever the reason. One of the tricks in getting a good mileage in this kind of vehicle is to observe and learn the trick of taming the beast, so to speak. Yes, a driver input is very important there.

AND, some cars do have defects. A defective O2 sensor or transmission, for instance, can do great harm to MPG. And there are variances among the same model car. I used to work in the automotive, and used to watch cars in the final assembly phase being tested on dynamos. No two cars registered the same dynamo results - some did worse than others (of course, to be allowed to ship, all vehicles had to show results within a certain tolerance). In other words, there are differences among cars that roll off the same assembly line. If you hit a wrong one, you may actually get a worse mileage than the one that was built before and after yours. But significant variances are rare in today's automotive world.

All these things play a role in the gas mileage. One thing is for certain, though. No one has ever promised that your car always gets a good mileage regardless of what you do or do not do. I have never seen such a representation by an automotive company, including Nissan. If your feeling is "You should be able just to drive the damn car without constantly thinking about what new thing you can do to get the mileage you were promised," you may want to check to see where a "promise" was made. Where was the promise, and what was the wording? As far as I know, EPA has always invariably said, "Your mileage may vary," and Nissan is merely using EPA-provided figures.
  • g35johng35john Member Posts: 12
    I just got a new Versa. Im still on my first tank that the dealer put in the car when I bought it. It had 12 miles on the clock when I bought it. Now it has about 220 miles and I still have a half a tank. So for im very impressed. I have been driving it lightly however it I do drive is LA traffic to and from work. Im pretty sure I can get 400 miles or so out of this tank. If my math is correct I should see about 33 miles per gallon or so.
    Just a heads up, but gas gauges don't always read proportionate to actual mileage. Most of my cars seem to indicate astounding gas mileage based on extrapolating where the fuel tank gauge is, until they start dipping down to empty with alarming speed. In other words the first half of the tank seems to go slowly, the second half fast, which has nothing to do with actual consumption.

If you want to track mileage, here is a system that has worked well for me:

1. Try to use the same pump at the same gas station. After the pump clicks off on its own, push the nozzle deep into the filler neck and start pumping again. It will usually click off almost immediately. Why? When you let the nozzle dangle on it's own, it usually isn't in too deep which allows a higher fill, but of course the auto shut off is good about turning off the gas. You can't try to add more gas from that shallow insertion point, you'll get a spill. But by pressing the nozzle in deep and doing a careful "top off" you get a pretty consistent fill, tank to tank. BTW, always fill up BEFORE your commute, not before you park the car, since the gas needs some room to expand, and you should burn some off before parking again.

2. Print out a receipt and write down your mileage taken from your trip odometer. Reset both odometers for next time. The receipt has the gallons. Do the math with a calculator at your office to avoid round off and simple math errors. The number you get, if you go from full to empty (instead of refilling more often at the half empty level) should be pretty good.

3. Average the mileage from several receipts. That further reduces variances due to different amounts of "fill."

4. If you can't use the same pump, try to always fill on level ground.

5. The biggest fill variations come from ground that isn't level, or from nozzle shut off variations. There was one station on the road to L.A. that was set very aggressively and would really top off the tank. My mileage on that tank looked miserable. My mileage on the next fill up looked terrific. All due to fill variations, not changes in driving habits or conditions.

It takes very little city driving to drag your mileage down. Conversely, driving above 70 has a strong negative impact, since air resistance goes up quickly at higher speeds.

Good luck!
    All good advice above by micweb.

All the cars that I have owned in almost 30 years have shown a rapidly accelerating decline once a "half tank" is indicated. More than once, there was less than 30% gas left at the indicated half tank (easy to figure out once you know what your car's range is). You really cannot tell what your car's mileage is like by looking at the fuel meter. At least, in my experience that has been the case.
    I am now on my 3rd tank of gas in my 08 Versa. As you all most likely know, I was a bit overzealous with my mileage estimates. You guys are right on the gas gauge too. I dont like it. I can drive 130 miles or so on the first quarter. From then on its bad news. I get about 300 miles per tank. (about 11 gallons). I also have a g35 which has been known to not have the best MPG either but I can always get 24 to 25 mpg on mine. Its just kind of odd that a car that weighs less, has a smaller engine, and CVT (supposed to help mpg) and all it can muster is a 2-3 mpg improvement? I hope my mpg improves more as the engine/tranny brakes in. Its a good thing I really like this car or I may be looking to sell it before too long.
    If you are getting 27 MPG in a Versa, especially if you are mixing a busy city environment, congested freeway traffic, and everything else that is known about city drives, you are right on target for the EPA City estimate for the CVT Versa, which is 27 MPG. The City-Highway combined EPA estimate is 29 MPG. So in that sense, you are well within the ballpark for this car.
    If you have an 11 gallon fuel tank (I haven't double checked the specifications) you are probably only putting 10 gallons in, if you run it to empty. Isn't that 30 mpg?

In other words, what is your actual mpg number? And have you averaged more than one tank?

Finally, most people drive a higher percentage of city than they think. Even with my 37 mile freeway commute and very little surface street driving, my average miles per hour (per my old Impala with a computer) was only about 37 miles per hour. So you may think you are doing a lot of zooming at 70 when you are really doing a fair amount of slower driving, idling, and slow and go. Stop lights kill gas mileage!
    Actually I find the gas gauge on my Versa to be one of the most accurate I've ever had, but even so, I never rely on the gas gauge to know when to fill up. The trip meter is what I've always used on all my cars. The low gas light comes on in my Versa when I get to about 415-420 miles (on a flat surface) If I'm going up a sustained hill it sometimes will kick on at less than that.
    Generally I fill up as I approach 400 miles.
    The Versa's tank is 13.2 G (US).
    Well, here I am to report yet another stellar mileage report on my latest fill-up with my 07 Versa CVT auto. This time, I got a whopping 23.2 mpg - 9.94 gallons of gas after only 231 miles. The most miles I have gotten out of a tank so far is @ 260. It is hard to accept that a performance machine like the G35 gets better mileage than my advertised great-mpg Versa. I have yet to reach the low-end mpg estimate of 26 mpg, and it seems like my mileage gets worse, not better, as the car breaks in more. I'd have to literally drive this car like a little old lady, coasting to stops in neutral, to come close to 26 mpg. I really should have gotten the Civic or sprung for the more expensive Prius. These cars really do deliver the mpg's that they promise.
    winkie733, could you describe for us what your typical day's driving is like? That may give us a clue or two.
    A typical weekday goes like this. I drive @ 45 minutes each way to work. The first 15 minutes is what I would call city driving. The next 15-20 minutes is on I 95 where I drive at about 60-70 mph. If you don't drive that fast, you are going backwards. That speed keeps me in the general flow of traffic. Then I get off and engage in city driving for about another 10-15 minutes. When I tried to go under 60 on I 95 between fillups, I only approached, but never hit, 26 mpg.
    Thanks for the info. So let's say that, out of your 45 minutes of total driving one-way, 25 minutes of that (55%) is pure city driving. The freeway driving at your speed is completely normal. EPA's revised fuel efficiiency estimates for the Versa are as follows:

CVT: 27 city, 33 highway, 29 combined
    6MT: 26 city, 31 highway, 28 combined
    4AT: 24 city, 32 highway, 27 combined

You have a slight bias towards city driving, but barely so. Given all things equal, your mileage should be very close to the EPA combined estimate, if slightly less to account for the little city driving bias.

Of course, that's EPA estimates, and not all things are equal among us.

Let's try this experiment that I always recommend to people who are having mileage problems. This particular method equalizes many, if not all, of the driving variables that people experience, and can usually tell you whether the car may be the major culprit (like mechanical problems).

(1) On a weekend day, perhaps earlier in the day, when the traffic is light, drive your Versa to a freeway.

(2) Right before you get on the freeway, fill her up, and also check the tire pressure to be sure that all tires are either regulation or higher in pressure.

(3) Get on the freeway as slowly as safety allows, get up to the speed limit and set the cruise control. If you don't have the cc, do your best to keep the speed constant.

(4) Drive for at least one hour this way, preferably for two.

(5) Get off the freeway and immediately find a gas station and fill your Versa up.

(6) Calculate the MPG right there.

If the figure you get out of (6) stinks, or at least below average, you have a possible case for a defective something in your car. If, on the other hand, your mileage looks decent (e.g., close to the EPA estimate for highway), then other factors than the car are likely the culprits.

This is a tedious test perhaps, but I think that it is worth trying.
  • dgecho1dgecho1 Member Posts: 49
    Why should a car owner have to "read traffic",

It is called 'defensive driving' - a concept lost in these days of 'I got my big bad SUV and will run over the top of you!!'

or "put the car in neutral and coast to at stop", or "avoid fast starts", or go through any such bull****

the bull*** is called 'not wasting gas' for any model not just a Nissan!

If the Yaris driver who posted a while back can still get great mileage despite doing everything in his power to lower his mpg

ECHO .......not a Yaris..there is a difference!

:)
    I filled my Versa up with 91 octane gas just to see if it had any affect on my average MPG. I had averaged 28.8, and 27.5 on my first two tanks. This tank I averaged 30.0 mpg. Not too bad. Im not sure if this was due to the fuel, or maybe the Versa is starting to brake in a bit. Who knows... just thought I would share.
    A higher octane gas should not be a material factor. In fact, in some cases, the mileage is known to go down with gas that has a higher than the required octane value. In terms of net dollar value, your gain if any from the higher ocatne would likely become offset by the higher cost of gas. Just my 2 cents worth....
    I have been running mid-grade gasoline with my economy cars with good success lately. The engines have such high output these days that they have more in common with what we used to call "sports car engines" than with the de-tuned, under-performing economy car engines of yester-year.

The old axiom that using a higher grade gasoline won't help is no longer true. Most modern cars have piezoelectric chips to detect engine knock and "de-tune" the engine on the fly so it won't harm itself on regular. Conversely they can adaptively tune themselves to deliver more power (only slightly more power) with better grades of gas.

On several of my cars I have noted performance increases (but not mileage increases) when using mid-grade gas. On one car (Odyssey) we have to use PREMIUM or we get residual engine knocking on even MILD inclines.

So it's going to quickly become an urban myth that cars are certified to run on regular - yeah they are certified not to self-destruct and to make their rated power, but if you put better gas in, they run smoother and stronger.

At least that is my experience.
    If your car has a knocking issue, then yes, sometimes a higher octane gas does make a difference because it can eliminate the premature denonation. And eliminating a premature detonation could mean more power to that car.

However, if a particular car has no fuel detonation issue, then pumping a higher rated gas than the car is rated gives you no advantage. That is because there is no more or less energy put out by the higher-octane gasoline.

The piezoelectric chips certainly sense detonation timings and make adjustments accordingly, but, unless a car has an issue with detonation, they cannot give you more power because more energy cannot be released where there is no extra.

This is one of very few instances in which I actually disagree with micweb. I'd better write it down on my calendar as a historic event, as it may never happen again. :P
    I'll see if I can find the article about "adaptive tuning" but here is a snippet from a NY Times article which alludes to the same concept:

"Many modern engine computers electronically adjust ignition timing, either advancing it to take advantage of premium-grade gasoline or retarding it slightly to keep the engine from knocking on regular fuel. Such systems use special sensors to "listen" for knock, which can damage the engine.

"A manufacturer could therefore accurately say its engine will run satisfactorily on regular gas, yet perform the horsepower test on a higher-octane blend, knowing it will automatically take advantage of that fuel to produce slightly more power. Under the new standard, testing is done with the minimum octane fuel required for that model."

That was from an article on inflating horsepower for ad purposes.

This link should take you to the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/03/automobiles/03CARS.html?scp=11&sq=use+high+oct- ane+car&st=nyt
    This is from an online faq that turned up on Google:

"Engine management systems are now an important part of the strategy to
    reduce automotive pollution. The good news for the consumer is their ability
    to maintain the efficiency of gasoline combustion, thus improving fuel
    economy. The bad news is their tendency to hinder tuning for power. A very
    basic modern engine system could monitor and control:- mass air flow, fuel
    flow, ignition timing, exhaust oxygen ( lambda oxygen sensor ), knock
    ( vibration sensor ), EGR, exhaust gas temperature, coolant temperature, and
    intake air temperature. The knock sensor can be either a nonresonant type
    installed in the engine block and capable of measuring a wide range of knock
    vibrations ( 5-15 kHz ) with minimal change in frequency, or a resonant type
    that has excellent signal-to-noise ratio between 1000 and 5000 rpm [112].

A modern engine management system can compensate for altitude, ambient air
    temperature, and fuel octane. The management system will also control cold
    start settings, and other operational parameters. There is a new requirement
    that the engine management system also contain an on-board diagnostic
    function that warns of malfunctions such as engine misfire, exhaust catalyst
    failure, and evaporative emissions failure. The use of fuels with alcohols
    such as methanol can confuse the engine management system as they generate
    more hydrogen which can fool the oxygen sensor [76] .

The use of fuel of too low octane can actually result in both a loss of fuel
    economy and power, as the management system may have to move the engine
    settings to a less efficient part of the performance map
    . The system retards
    the ignition timing until only trace knock is detected, as engine damage
    from knock is of more consequence than power and fuel economy
    . "

[Bold and italics added.]
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/part3/section-1.html

That article alludes to the more common type of adaptation, lowering performance to deal with "bad" gas. But some ECM's (engine control modules) can also "tighten up" performance when they get better than the legally required minimum octane fuel - I just need to find an online article to confirm my memory. :shades:
    The use of fuel of too low octane can actually result in both a loss of fuel
    economy and power, as the management system may have to move the engine
    settings to a less efficient part of the performance map.

I am in complete agreement with the above-mentioned theory. The operative words are "too low ocatane." Too low versus what would be the next issue. If an engine has a premature detonation issue, then the so-called "regular" octanage may be considered as being too low for the purpose of eliminating the knocks. In such cases, use of a higher octane gas would be advisable. However, as you yourself have indicated, this particular acticle says nothing about improving the gas mileage or performance enhancement of a car that runs fine at its rated octanage.

ECMs can and do learn. In order to take a full advantage of the delayed combustion that a higher octange value provides, the engine however must have the necessary compression, be it from its own native internal compression or with a combustion assist such as a turbocharger, to utilize what the extra octane provides. Otherwise, the higher octane gas would burn in the same way as the "regular" gas. And given that no extra energy is present in the same amount of gas for both a high and ragular octane gases, you generally cannot squeeze an extra performance unless the engine is designed for it. There are of course many other variables in this, and there may well be exceptions to this general rule.

It's an interesting subject all the same. I am actually looking forward to reading an article that you are looking for.
    My Versa now has 6500 miles on it. My last fill-up got me an underwheming 23.58 mpg, no where near the lower limit of its advertised mpg range of 26-33. I'm wondering when it will hit that magical "break in" period that some of you talk about. And no, I am never going fill my driving time thinking of tricks to improve mileage, like putting my automatic in neutral to coast to a stop in order to improve gas mileage. That is probably a terrible thing to do to an automatic transmission on a regular basis. Plus, don't we all have more important things to do while driving than thinking up various strategies to eke out a few more mpg's on a car that should get better mileage without having to work at it? When gas goes to $4.00 per gallon soon, expect to see a whole lot more dissatisfied Versa owners.
  • walterquintwalterquint Member Posts: 89
    If you're only getting 23-25mpg in the Versa, it's time to trade up. Plenty of larger cars--even performance cars--get similar mileage. I think the Versa and the Smart car have not kept their mileage promises.

I read that Nissan is cutting back production of the Versa. Not a great cutback, but enough to raise eyebrows given the price of gas and demand for small cars. Assuming that's true, why would Nissan do that? I think word is getting around that the Versa is just a bit too thirsty for its size. It has other virtues that compensate, but probably not quite enough. Honda can't meet the demand for the Fit, no cutbacks there.

But IMO, the lesson is clear: if you're gonna buy a tiny car, get a stick. Modern autotrannies are great but they still suck up power and fuel. Physics always wins. Regardless of the EPA estimates, a stick can always get better mileage than a CVT or autotranny (if driven properly).
    I read that Nissan is cutting back production of the Versa.

I have just located a Nikkei article. You are right - the Aguascalientes plant has stopped the lines for both the Versa and Sentra. They halted the lines on March 20. The reason is not the Versa-specific, but rather that a general downturn in the U.S. ecomomy has depressed the demand of Nissan cars across the line.

Thanks for flagging this event - I did not know this.
  • daniknightdaniknight Member Posts: 15
    Though I don't understand at all why some Versa owners are getting such bad MPG with their cars, I'm feeling very fortunate that mine is giving me satisfactory MPG.

I've had it since August. It now has 6500 miles on it. It is an 07 hatchback with CVT. I've never gotten below 29, even in all "in town" driving. I'm rarely in stop-n-go traffic however since I don't live in or travel to large cities. My last trip gave me the following (rounded):

32 (hwy/town), 32 (all hwy - strong headwind/sidewind), 33 (all hwy - strong headwind/sidewind), 37 (all hwy), 36 (all hwy).

Hwy driving consists of cruise control set at 65-70.

The Versa is a very fun car (at least mine is). It is very spunky and seems to want to go fast and be quick off the blocks. I'm a laid-back driver, however, and am not frequently driving it like that. I wonder if I did, how bad my mileage would be. I should take a tank and just zip around, letting it be the peppy little car it wants to be. If I do that, I'll be sure to report back.
    Aside from favorable driving conditions, you may well have discovered the Versa's mileage sweet spot. Every car seems to have one, and some cars' sweet spots are harder to locate than others. Perhaps you care to share with us further details on how you drive your Versa?
  • walterquintwalterquint Member Posts: 89
    Indeed, cutting back Versa production may have nothing to do with the car itself. Nissan may very well have met its sales goals with the Versa.

Fact is, how many cars can the U.S. economy absorb? Automakers are complaining about decreased sales and blaming a recession. But they can produce far more cars than there are buyers, even in the best of times. The Versa is a sales hit but that doesn't mean everyone wants one....

It's almost like automakers make one feel guilty for not buying a new car every 3 yrs.