Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• I hope the dealer "honors" my deal!

When was the last time a cadillac was named a car of the year?
  • thebugthebug Posts: 294
    leslie12 - Costco has a program (if your a member) that allows a discount of the going rate for a given vehicle. The amount varies, but the discount is usually pretty good. You can go to a Costco become a member ($50), call them and let them know what type of car you are buying, and they will assign you a rep at a dealer in your local area to complete the purchase. The best thing is, there is no pricing hassles, it's pretty straight forward.

Costco will explain the entire process prior to your purchase. Think the going rate for the 08 CTS is 2K over invoice plus any other discount that you are authorized, ie; GM, dealer rebates etc. The CTS is a hot item so it's a good way to go. I bought two cars at the same time, (different dealers) and saved at least 5K on the purchases overall. The 07's on the lots had the biggest discounts. Some had as much as 4K under invoice, but they were only equipped with the basics.

thebug...
  • Thanks for the info. I am a costco member. I just never knew or took seriously some of the discounts as such that they offered. I will go there to shop, but I guess I need to investigate the other "pluses" to membership.

Thanks again.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    Motor Trend magazine just announced the CTS as their Car of the Year. read about it at:
    http://www.motortrend.com/
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,206
    Just for grins:

2008 Cadillac CTS
    2007 Toyota Camry
    2006 Honda Civic
    2005 Chrysler 300C
    2004 Toyota Prius
    2003 Infiniti G35
    2002 Ford Thunderbird
    2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser
    2000 Lincoln LS
    1999 Chrysler 300M
    1998 Chevrolet Corvette
    1997 Chevrolet Malibu
    1996 Dodge Caravan
    1995 Chrysler Cirrus
    1994 Ford Mustang
    1993 Ford Probe GT
    1992 Cadillac Seville Touring Sedan
    1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ
    1990 Lincoln Town Car
    1989 Ford Thunderbird SC
    1988 Pontiac Grand Prix
    1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1986 Ford Taurus LX
    1985 Volkswagen GTI (eligible due to it being built in VW's now-defunct Pennsylvania plant)
    1984 Chevrolet Corvette
    1983 AMC / Renault Alliance
    1982 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
    1981 Chrysler K Cars, Dodge Aries / Plymouth Reliant
    1980 Chevrolet Citation
    1979 Buick Riviera S
    1978 Chrysler, Dodge Omni / Plymouth Horizon
    1977 Chevrolet Caprice
    1976 Chrysler, Dodge Aspen / Plymouth Volare
    1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2
    1974 Ford Mustang II
    1973 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1972 Citroën SM (An imported vehicle that was selected overall "Car of the Year")
    1971 Chevrolet Vega
    1970 Ford Torino
    1969 Plymouth Road Runner
    1968 Pontiac GTO
    1967 Mercury Cougar
    1966 Oldsmobile Toronado
    1965 Pontiac Motor Division
    1964 Ford Motor Company (Not for the Mustang)
    1963 American MotorsRambler
    1962 Buick Special
    1961 Pontiac Tempest
    1960 Chevrolet Corvair
    1959 Pontiac Motor Division
    1958 Ford Thunderbird
    1957 Chrysler Corporation
    1956 Ford Motor Company
    1955 Chevrolet Motor Division
    1954 No award
    1953 No award
    1952 Cadillac Motor Division
    1951 Chrysler Corporation
    1950 No award
    1949 Cadillac Motor Division

I think my two favorites are the Alliance & the Vega, though the Corvair is interesting as well.
  • adamg2adamg2 Posts: 12
    Anyone else feel particularly gratified for ordering this car before the Car of the Year Award? The article and associated video on the Motor Trend website are the highest praise for the 08 CTS I've come across thus far.
    adamg2 - Absolutely!!!

thebug...
  • The list of old winners is an interesting lesson in how the COTY award is sometimes for an important vehicle as opposed to an important and GOOD vehicle. The Chrysler K cars were complete crap but they were cheap in bad financial times for the country and saved Chrysler from going under. The Chevy Vega had great technology on paper that wasn't durable 5 miles off the dealer lot. And the Corvair was like Porsches and VWs of the day...a really different...and bad idea (rear engine). The difference was the execution of the application. VW and Porsche generally did it well...GM did it poorly.

I think in recent years MT has tried to raise the bar for the selection process and try to select a car that will stand the test of time. Not all do, but the recent decade has the Vette, the Camry, Prius and 300C. Only the Thunderbird falls short of the other cars in that era.

My votes for worst cars of the COTY historical list:
    1971 Chevy Vega (again, who knew it would be so unreliable at the time?)
    1974 Mustang II (truthfully, few cars of that era were any good)
    1975 Chevy Monza (a small hatchback that weighed about as much as a Caddy Fleetwood...a friend of mine in high school had one)
    1976 Plymouth Volare (where do I start with this turkey)
    1980 Chevy Citation (my first car as a teenager. Underpowered and overweight, the car's torque steer was so bad that the whole front end shook at 70 MPH)
    1983 Renault Alliance (the "Appliance" was almost as breakdown prone as the K-cars)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (another overweight turkey)
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    Good observations. Think where we would be without competition for the Japanese. Scary to think about it.
  • SevenFoot 0,

Any rememberances as to how awful the following vehicles are that you omitted?

I've been around long enough to remember a lot of the list (born class of '63)

1992 Cadillac Seville Touring Sedan
    1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ
    1990 Lincoln Town Car
    1989 Ford Thunderbird SC

These omissions from your list were simply bad.

Too heavy. No fun. Bad resale.

I've a feeling that we've re-entered a "golden age" of vehicles. Look back to what was happening in the 60s...Great designs, great performance...and what's happening again now. Instead of each manufacturer trying to look like a global designer, we have each designer looking like a nationalist. Why does the CTS or 300C look "American", or the Camry/Civic look "Japanese" or the bizarre 3 series look "German"?

It's the nationalist trends that have given us the sharpest designs.

Viva Le Difference!!
  • I would take issue on three of the four choices.

The 1992 Cadillac STS was considered to be a very good product in the context of the day. Cadillac was replacing the older 1987-1991 Seville, which was undoubtedly the worst product of the Seville/STS era dating back to 1976 (although the 1980 model with the Olds diesel engine could be argued as worst too). The older Seville and Eldorado were too small, too bland, too overweight, too weak on power....a complete failure. The 1992 model was larger with crisp lines that set the stage for the more radical Art & Science styling motif we know now (although the 1998 Seville/STS was a stylistic retreat according to critics and buyers). Even the handling was considered to be pretty good considering it was a FWD car. But the 1992 Seville was an unfinished product. The 1993 model that delivered the first Northstar V8 was the product that made you forget completely about the old Seville.

The 1991 Chevy Caprice Classic LTZ really wasn't that great of a product but it wasn't unsuccessful completely. The Caprice Classic would go on to be an extremely popular police cruiser (and taxi/livery vehicle) and the LTZ model would eventually morph into the highly desirably Impala of that era. But like the Seville of the era, it was unfinished. The bathtub like rear wheel wells would get quickly redesigned into something less goofy.

The 1990 Lincoln Town Car was the vehicle that seriously challenged the Cadillac Deville's stranglehold on traditional full sized luxury vehicles offering a proper rear drive car against the FWD Devilles of the day. The RWD Caddy Broughams of the day were large and ungainly. And this product all but ended Cadillac's dominance on the executive livery business, taking 90% of the market, a dominance they haven't given up to this day. Only Caddy's funeral business didn't fall under the onslaught of this product.

The 1989 Ford Thunderbird SC. Yeah I agree...boring product that had no future market significance.
  • bdingbding Posts: 13
    Ordered my 08 CTS the first week of October, 08 ( DI, RWD, F2, moon roof, 18" wheels) Dealer said plan on 6-9 weeks for delivery. Spoke with him this week and he said because of "constraints" that I may not get delivery until February or March. WTF is this!
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    What exactly did you order that is under constraint?
  • bdingbding Posts: 13
    Options on my CTS are 18" polished aluminum wheels, performance collection, performance package, seating package and ultraview sunroof. Dealer didn't know what the constraints were. But from reading previous posts, it seems to be the polished wheels are in short supply. To me, the wheels with Black Raven paint make the car.
  • adamg2adamg2 Posts: 12
    I now realize that I need to contact my sales rep. I signed the lease on October 26th - expected delivery date was said to be early January. I sincerely hope this is still the case.
  • I was lucky to find a dealer who had the black raven exterior, black interior and polished wheels. It looks great and worth your waiting for. The car looks and drives incredibly.
  • I ordered '08 CTS, Red, DI, AWD, PDQ on 10-16-07. Dealer told me on 11-19-07 that order delayed because of production constraints, but did not know details. Info at "wheels.com" lists current '08 CTS constraints at 11-23-07: manual tranny, "18 inch polished wheels", and "PDW". Anyone have additional info on constraints? Anyone take recent delivery with B20 wood package or PDQ "Premium Luxury Collection"?
    hemi05 - I must have gotten in just under the wire, because I ordered my CTS on 9/26/07 (build date 10/15/07) and it was in by 10/29/07. I picked it up on 10/31/07. I have the PDW, 18" polished wheels, black on black, leather, U2S, wood trim (dash/doors only) and performance package. It was well worth the wait, what an awesome car.

thebug...
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    I'm looking to purchase a 08 CTS 3.6 DI auto in the next few months. I'm having a problem figuring out something on Cadillac's website. Is the only sunroof/moonroof option available the double-view sunroof? If I don't get the option does that mean I get not sunroof/moonroof at all?

BTW, drove it this past week..excellent car.. Hopefully trading in my '00 Acura TL. Drove the current TL also, CTS is a much better product.
  • vic10vic10 Posts: 188
    A couple of sessions ago I mentioned I saw a "traditional" sunroof on a '08 CTS. Confirmed with the dealer that that was an aftermarket installation--the much maligned double panel roof is the only GM roof. Looked great. But when sitting in the car, in the back, it had negative headroom, i.e. my head was pushing up the headliner (and I'm 6 ft., but tend to slouch....). So if you'd be tempted to go that route, be careful.

To piggy back onto your question: Am I going to be forced to take the sunroof if I option some of the premium packages?