Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Lost Reatta

Comments

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 892
    I'll admit, I've done the same. I'm always honest, though and say I'm not buying a car right away. Sometimes, they'll give me a green salesperson who doesn't have much else to do. (I usually go on a weekday morning) I don't mind the callbacks, though, and it's a good way to determine how a dealership is run, how their sales staff treat you, and if I would buy a vehicle from them.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,907
    I have a friend who test srives cars for a hobby as well. I am too respectful to do that...but I do stop at lots just to look now and then, with no intention of buying. Of course, I did that last week and bought a car!

I like to go to certain lots and laugh at their second stickers.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,590
    I'm the same way...I'll go to the sales lot to look, but the only way I'll actually test drive something or really use the salesman's time is if it's a car that I might be interested in buying.
  • what damage? Has anyone crashed one of your sports cars before? Why the hard feelings? After all it is just fun.
  • i'll start a new forum for sales people vs customers
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,118
    Fun for you, allcarscool, but to the salesman and the dealership time is money, and putting mileage on a car, especially hard miles on a brand new car, decreases its value. In short, what you are doing is unethical.
  • The new discussion is titled "Salesmen Vs. Enthusiests" and it is located in the AUTOMOTIVE NEWS & VIEWS. We can take the discussion there. ;)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,350
    Why? It'll turn into an ugly topic that will get quickly killed.

How would you like to be a salesperson who waited two hours for a customer only to get a non-serious joyrider whose idea of entertainment is test driving cars he has no intension of buying?

You should have entitled your new topic.."Salesmen vs. Strokes"
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,118
    "...It'll turn into an ugly topic..." Maybe, if enough readers care to comment on this matter, but, at a minimum the topic is unlikely to be balanced. It's likely to be skewed in favor of those who justify the practice, because the number of contributors who work for dealerships will be greatly exceeded by those of us who don't, and never have worked for dealerships.
  • its been killed

and put into a topic on test driving in general which is similar but different.

can you actually do nothing for the hour long test drives people go on. Dont you have customers to call, cars to sell? Why cant you do somethin other than just sit and wait for us to return? You are wasting your own time, we are not wasting yours. You could be more preductive and stop complaining.
  • interesting subject but if we can, let's meander back to Reattas or join in that other topic in Automotive News.
  • So how much did the Reatta cost? Was it advertised on TV ever?
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,590
    the Reatta was introduced in 1988, with a base price of $25,000 exactly. 4,708 were produced. That's actually not too bad of a showing considering the Riviera, which it was based on and was supposed to be a much higher-volume car, only sold about 86,000 units that year.

In 1989, the Reatta's base price went to $26,700, and 7009 were produced. For 1990, a convertible was also offered. 2132 were built, with a base price of $34,995, while the fixed-roof model was $28,335 and sold 6,383 units.

1991 was the Reatta's last year, and I'm guessing it was an abbreviated year as only 1,214 coupes and 305 convertibles were built. Prices wre up to $29,300 for the coupe, and a whopping $35,965 for the convertible.
  • that seems expensive for back in the late 80's early 90's! How much is 26,000 dollars of the 80's now? like $1 back then would be 5 dollars now.
    Maybe not 1:5, but probably a good 1:2 in many areas anyway. Imagine a Buick starting at 50K today!
  • no wonder not many are out there
  • Exactly...it was very expensive for what you got. Most shoppers looked at other cars in that exact price range and said "No way". I suppose BMW or Benz could get away with those high prices back then, but not Buick. Like you said, would you even buy a $50,000 Buick today?
    I wonder how they depreciated back in the day. Today, a 50K Buick would be lucky to be worth 25K in a year, and 15K in 2 years...
  • They dropped pretty hard initially. Today you'd be lucky to get $4,000 for a clean coupe, so do the math. With an MSRP of $29,000 you now have about 1/5th the value after 15 years. A BMW 3 series did only marginally better with an MSRP of $25,000 or so and worth about $4,000 today, tops.

Of course, measuring depreciation after 15 years isn't a very good indicator of the rate of drop during the first 5 years. You reach a point where just about any old car today that is clean and driving well is worth at least $2,500.
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    and a whopping $35,965 for the convertible.

That's about what a Lexus LS400 went for at the time.