Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems

Comments

• ddawg71ddawg71 Member Posts: 1
    Its called the pressure control solenoid (PCS), wich is 134.00, and you will want to replace tranny oil pressure solenoid, wich is about 40.00, you might want to replace speed sensor first, its on the side of your tranny not inside.thats only 17.00 it might be the problem. but in any case YES they are rippin you, get some other qoutes, theyre charging you about 1600.00 - 2300.00 just for labor wich is about 5 to 6 hours of work.
  • eastyfosheezyeastyfosheezy Member Posts: 1
    Im having the exact same problem. 93 grand cherokee. What did you find out from any mechanics? What part/s were causing the problem? How much was the cost of parts and labor for the repair?
  • lillian5710lillian5710 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 94 jeep cherokee and was driving it fine... in may i took a trip that was about an hour and half away and she did great, a week and a half later she started having shifting problems... wouldn't shift normally, rpm's reved up... anyhoo, this went on for about 4 days and on the 23rd of may she just wouldn't move and had a real bad like grinding/whining noise happening. some have told me that i need a new transmission but i can get into it and drive it around the block but after about 15 minutes of driving it'll start slipping again. now i know a lil bit about cars and i don't feel that it's the WHOLE transmission, what exactly could it be???
  • nnealnneal Member Posts: 72
    Check your Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). If that checks out ok, wiggle the wiring going into it while the engine's idling to see if anything changes. My 98 Cherokee took off normally in 1st but the gears after that started slipping. My TPS checked out ok but the wiring plug going into/connecting it had prong sockets that were "sprung" and not making good connection. At the time my Cherokee had about 180,000 miles.
  • garagedog64garagedog64 Member Posts: 1
    my automatic transmission shifts good when i first take off with my jeep,after it drives for 10 miles if you stop it will not upshift just revs like its slippingi reploaced the transducer the oil filter and oil any ideas
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    solenoid pack
    it is inside trans also could have leak on filter o ring did you install as instructions?
  • rwengrrwengr Member Posts: 177
    Make sure you check fluid level HOT. Also, make sure transmission cooler lines are bone dry. No leaks. It affects the pressure even if it you are not leaking enough fluid to make the dipstick show low. Next, begin to troubleshoot any sensors. I think your trans is basically OK, but something is throwing it off balance.
  • murphyb1murphyb1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Jeep GC Laredo w/112,000 miles. About a dozen times+ in the past month it's been slipping out of gear completely and/or not shifting into higher gear (ie: when I'm on the highway). Took it in to the shop and there is no leak in the transmission fluid and I'm not low on any fluids. Given the high miles, would that mean my transmission is going? Not sure if I should bother spending the $$ to fix it given the mileage. Would love some professional opinions! Thx!!
  • darcysdarcys Member Posts: 5
    I have the same Jeep GC Laredo, 2006, 3.7L, 186,000KM, and the tranny had reacted the same. Had the tranny fluid and filter changed, the problem went away, but it is slowly coming back to the awkward shifting etc.. Think I might try replacing the speed sensor next.
  • murphyb1murphyb1 Member Posts: 2
    Thx for the reply! I replaced the speed sensor last year because I started having problems where it wasn't shifting gears properly. Once the speed sensor was replaced, the car was totally fine ... until now. I just don't want to start dumping $$ into a car with such high miles. Ugh! What to do!?!?
  • kronekrone Member Posts: 1
    so i have a 93 grand cherokee and it seems when the trans fluid is cold it works fine. as soon as the fluid gets warm my over drive wont work and first gear kinda slips at first and sometimes takes awhile to completely engage..kinda like it has a centrifical clutch. so if i leave first time for the day it will shift fine and go into over drive but as soon as it heats up and i stop from a constant drive and take off again it wont go into over drive n takes a little bit to go in first gear. any ideas??
  • gerthebeargerthebear Member Posts: 4
    Hi, has anyone experienced vibration with your 4l cherokee. It is definitely not an engine
    miss, its running fine but vibrating. I have checked all the engine mounts and they are fine, I even replaced the transmission mount for nothing cause I felt it had some play in it.
    I am thinking of going after the vibration damper next unless someone has a better solution.
    Thanks
  • topat46topat46 Member Posts: 20
    I had the same issue with my 2004 GC limited v8. I put in Techron fuel injector cleaner and after one application the vibration was gone.
  • gerthebeargerthebear Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your input I will surely try the Techron fuel injector cleaner
    and will let you know if that did the trick.
  • flash30flash30 Member Posts: 1
    Have the same problem have you tried anything that worked because I am thinking of selling my car because seems to be giving some problems now (jeep leredo 2000) if it is just a matter of changing filters and oil its easy but i think the gears might be going on my car took to the garage and they say gears are slipping in our curreny in South Africa it works out to about R19000 rand and the say I have to replace the whole gear box my car have 190000KM ANY ADVISE ?
  • mct98jgcmct98jgc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 and I am having the same problem. When the Jeep is cold I have never had any problems. When I drive for an hour or more and I stop briefly, I then have trouble with it shifting into third gear. Sometimes it will even slip for a while before engaging in any gear. Sometimes it gets so bad that the tranny just slips and barely provides any power to my wheels (luckily the two times this has happened I was very close to home). I changed the fluid and filter (which was probably needed pretty bad) but I still am having the same issues. I am preparing to have to put in another transmission but I am hoping it may be something else. (There barely any metal on the magnet when I changed the fluid and filter). I have heard that overheating can cause similar issues. Should I be checking the cooling lines to see if they are flowing freely? Am I too late for that?
  • jctank33jctank33 Member Posts: 1
    Ive been having problems with my 07 JGC. On my way into work I was going about 40mph, when I heard a ding, about 5 minutes later, still going 40mph, I lost my speed and rpm's. I was going about 20 mph and gave it some gas, my rpm's jumped to 5 and I didnt accerlate. I was able to pull of into a driveway. I put it in park, sat for a minute, put it into reverse hit the gas and nothing happened, so I put it back into park. Turned the car off, turned it on and it was fine. This has happened twice so far. Nothing came up on my dash and my check engine light is NOT on. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance!
  • heepissuesheepissues Member Posts: 1
    This is my second Jeep. My firt 2001 Laredo experienced locking or freezing of the suv. Very scary-driving down the interstate when your SUV freezes and you have no power OR control,- no power steering and you have to pray and glide to the side of the inner side of the HWY. This happened to me 5 times.
    I traded it, and bought a 2006 Laredo and thought my problems would be gone. Just the start! With 60,000 miles on it I have the transmission light going off and the system goes into a slipping out of gear or a revving. I have to shake the gear knob to get it "out" of the malfunctioning mode!!
    I have read a lot similar problems! Besides this not so scary problems, are the following; the seat belt light is on with the @!#$% chime on, the air bag light is on, the check gas cap is on, and my low tire light is on. Believe me, my husband has checked all four tires with the gauge, filled them properly and there is nothing wrong with the tires! I will never ever buy or suggest a jeep to anyone! I hate chrysler and believe me they are aware of these problems.
    Today I am on my way to shop to see what they can or can't do to the jeep. Last time when I had the trany light problem the shop said well it isn't on now! Well that is murphy's law! It was on all the way down 44 miles to service shop but then when the crap JEEP is being looked at, the light isn't on. I guess the light has to be on! This is a nightmare!!!!! Well today Sept 19, 2011 I am taking it down for the oil change and they have check out the problems. I said to them they are keeping this jeep, pronounced HEEP in our family, until they figure out what is wrong.
    NOW THE SECRET. it is called the secret hidden warranty. PLEASE CALL
    1-800-992-1997 Chrysler covers the four-speed automatic transmissions from some years through 10 years or 100,000 miles.
    for any JEEP ISSUES. I called today and Kelly customer service said that they do not have records of my transmission light and slipping issues on the 2006 jeep 60,000 problems. Then she said, "do you want to be transferred to the service contract warranty department?" Yes I do!!

Spoke to the service contract department and this is the following info. On my particular SUV-VIN # GIVEN- I DO HAVE THE FOLLOWING WARRANTY up until 80,000 or MAY 23, 2014.
    My service contract will cover the following:
    transmission case-internal parts
    Torque converter
    transmission control module------ PROBABLY-THE CULPRIT IN MY SITUATION
    Transmission range switch
    Bell housing
    Oil Pan
    seals and gasket for the listed comp above.
    CHRYSLER needs to know. about these problems CALL THEM AT THE 1-800 LISTED ABOVE
    I hope this is helpful .
  • drzjmzdrzjmz Member Posts: 1
    Runs good. Does not slip when changing gears. however...riding along at 60-70mph the rpm goes up and down between 18-20. when climbing hill it downshifts fine and stays steady until you get back to just riding along 60-70 mph
    I suggest you analyze how the engine or engine computer is feeding information to the transmission. If the transmission has a computer and talks directly to the engine computer (digitally) then you will have to look for a sensor being used by the engine computer for that purpose. Look for any fluid or oil leaks that may have contaminated the sensor or wiring at the transmission. One problem with oil leaks is they blow back on the transmission. I lost an oxygen sesnsor that way.

If you see any wiring or a sensor covered with oil, repair it.

One other thing you should do is check all the ground wire connections for the transmission electrical components. Get an ohmeter. One end should be conntected to negative terminal of the battery. It should be 0.00 ohms. Set your meter to this scale. Good luck. My guess is transmission thinks engine activity (example throttle) is changing when it really isn't.
  • culboculbo Member Posts: 4
    Hi

Hopefully someone out there can help! I have a 4.7lt 2001 Grand Cherokee 150,000 miles on the clock and have had problems with the gearbox when the engine warms up. From cold until say 20 miles running everything is fine and then it drops down into 3rd gear with no response then from the overdrive button. When cold this is not and issue only when it warms up. The jeep dealer cannot find any fault on his diagnostic equipment and has basically washed his hands of it! I have been told to check the grounds which may be losing contact when the engine warms up but they all appear to be fine. Has anyone any experience of this please??
  • brtheviobrthevio Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.2 and 2wd that has about 145k on it. Over the last 6-8 months the Jeep has started to shift later and later. It is now at the point that it won't come out of first gear till a little over 3k rpms. Second is the same but shifts a little sooner, maybe 2800 or so. 3rd to drive is fine, drive to overdrive is fine. This started with the transmission bouncing between 1-2 when accelerating hard in city traffic. Highway speeds it runs good, other than the occasional shudder when climbing slight inclines. The shudder is not my main concern at this point. The fact that it's not shifting is KILLING the gas mileage. Just changed Tranny filter and fluid about 8k miles ago. It helped some for a little while, now it is right back to where I was prior to changing filter and fluid. Someone told me it could be the shift packs in the transmission. I am a decent mechanic just don't know much about the new transmissions with all the computer involvment. Any help would be great. Don't really want to take it to a shop and pay $300 for them to look at it and tell me it's going to cost me $1500 to fix something that I can do myself and show my sons how to do in the process. Thanks for any help in advance.
  • nnealnneal Member Posts: 72
    To start with, your Jeep dealer has very little interest (read motive) in getting a Jeep with 150,000 miles fixed. My advice would be to ignore him completely. I had a similar experience with my 1998 Cherokee where both the dealer AND a transmission shop said nothing but a rebuild would fix my Jeep. Neither one could remotely say what the problem was....they were clueless. With nothing to lose, I checked it out myself, found the problem was a bad solenoid valve, fixed it and I am still running it today. That was back in 2009, so in other words don't become discouraged.

I'm assuming you've already checked obvious things such as fluid level, leaks and electrical connections. Sometimes the prongs inside electrical plugs lose their "spring" and don't make good connections like they used to especially in high mileage vehicles. It happened to me with my Throttle Position Sensor. I blamed it on a bad part only to find it was the electrical plug itself.

Since it's temperature related, that implies it could very likely be electrical (switch, sensor, solenoid valve, etc). First thing I would check is the engine temperature sending unit. Your Jeep might have more than one so check that out. Another thing to rule out is the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) as that would be suspect at such high mileage.

I assume yours has the 45RFE transmission which includes a temperature sensor inside the transmission. That along with the solenoids in my opinion should be checked out after you've ruled out anything external to the transmission.

Above all, don't become discouraged talking to other people about your problem because I haven't found many interested in this type of subject. Good Luck!
    Thanks for the replies guys. Some good information and I will act on it and let you know the outcome!
    Make sure you have 0 and I mean ZERO transfluid leaks. The cooler lines should be bone dry. My 97 jeep was acting funny and I replaced the cooler lines and it fixed it. My guess is that transfluid leak affects the pressure somehow.

Adjust your band if you have an adjustment.

Drop pan and replace filter. If you let it sit a couple of days without the pan you will get more fluid out of it.
  • aaron1995aaron1995 Member Posts: 2
    I recently just purchased a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and it ran great all the way home, but just recently its been giving me some problems. It has trouble downshifting on the highway which makes it almost impossible trying to pass people. Also, when starting from a stoped position it takes a very long time to get up to speed exspecialy when trying to climb a hill. The person i bought it from said he recently put a new tranny in it, so I'm very confused on what is causing this power loss.
  • boazbezboazbez Member Posts: 14
    Can you force the tranny to shift manually?
  • wpatterswpatters Member Posts: 54
    Is this on a 6 cyc engine? Sounds like linkage is not adjusted right. There is a button on the throttle linkage that is adjusted to sync the throttle position with the transmission...pretty easy to do. If you have a 6 cyc and can get the manual it is no problem to do yourself. I just had my trans replaced and did not have a problem but I remember there is that adjustment.
    Also might find out where the transmission work was done and take it to them. If they are a reputable shop they should stand by their work and tweak what is not working.
  • aaron1995aaron1995 Member Posts: 2
    Yes i can but there is no difference between gears.
  • 72marquis72marquis Member Posts: 1
    My 01 jeep GC tranny seems to work fine except when stopped or almost stopped. It acts just like a standard tranny would if you didn't engage the clutch when stopping, it started doing this after vehicle had sat for 2 or more weeks. This happens in all gears including reverse and it is intermittent (but getting more common), even after shutting off or stalling motor and re starting. I believe the torque converter is staying locked up. 1. has anyone experienced or heard of this? 2. Is this common? 3. What am I looking at to fix it? Is it a solenoid problem, valve body problem, torque converter problem, or a control box problem? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you very much, 72marquis
  • 2001jeep12001jeep1 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    I have a 2001 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo 4wd 4.7L v8 with 107,000 miles when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd at lite or normal throttle it shifts hard but if you are accelerating hard it shifts fine the transmission is a 45RFE the hard shifting is after i have drove it for 20 miles or so the temp is around 190 top 200 :confuse: 2nd question is there a check engine light or is there just check gages & trans over temp lights
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    set of solenoids inside trans one probably sticking
  • handsomerobhandsomerob Member Posts: 11
    Exactly. Solenoids
  • 2001jeep12001jeep1 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    does the solenoid come in a kit or singels and thank you all for the information i hope it works i will try it along with changing fulid and filter
  • madmariner72madmariner72 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    Does anyone have a solution to an Overdrive lock out while on the highway? I have a 2002 grand cherokee with 2wd. It has 140,000 miles on it. operates fine normally but after about 30 minutes on the highway around 70 mph it drops out of O/D into 4th gear. The O/D off light comes on but not the transmission temp light. I do not believe this is because of a high temp. Although it does not do this when the jeep has cooled down. If I shut down for 30 minutes it goes away until the temp comes back.The fluid level is normal and condition of fluid is good. Not sure where to check first. Any help would be appreciated, thanks-Mark
    Hi,Sounds like we have similar problems. My 2001 Grand Cherokee drops out of top gear/overdrive down into 3rd gear when the engine reaches running temp. The diagnostics equipment has said it is the throttle positioning sensor and a new one has been ordered and should be fitted tomorrow! If it answers the problem I will get back to you right away!
    Cheers,
  • malbeckmalbeck Member Posts: 4
    hey, I have a 1999 Grand Cherokee 4.7, and I recently had someone replace the radiator, and since then whenever I first start the car and drive, hot or cold, it seems to have a high rev when first going, and then it subsides after a bout a quarter mile, it revs up to 2k rpm and then acts normal, through the rest of the trip,even at stoplights. I told my friend about it who replaced the radiator, and he said it may be not enough coolant or that there may be air in the cooling system, but I check all that, and he also said to make sure that the tranny fluid is high enough as some came out but not a lot, and it seems fine too, but there were bubbles in the tranny fluid so i added a little more, bout a half quart as i am not sure why it would only do this when I first start the car and drive. It has never done anything like this before, so could it be not enough tranny fluid, air in the tranny, or???? :confuse:
    edited November 2011
    There is some issue with the transmission cooling lines and/or the cooler portion of the radiator.
    It's

I have a 97 Jeep. The transmission was acting funny. It was surging a lot. Next, the water pump went. So I decided to replace the pump so I could drive it to transmission shop so I could at least get a rebuild quote.

I noticed the transmission cooler lines were leaking. So, I decided to replace them while I was under there.

Guess what? The transmission problems went away!. My theory is that any issues with transmission cooler lines somehow affects the pressures inside the transmission.

If you really like the car, here is what I would do.

1. Disconnect fluid lines at cooler.
    2. Get fluid out of the cooler
    3. Find out what pressure the trans cooler should be tested at and test it
    4. If pressure test not OK, talk to a transmission shop before you go back to the mechanic or where you bought the new radiator.
    5. If pressure test OK, replace both transmission cooler lines and test drive.

NOTE: The trans cooler lines should be bone dry

You may need a special tool to disconnect trans lines at the cooler.

After working on it follow procedure for adding fluid. If the fluid level is low it will act funny.
    I will check the lines and see if there was any damage done to them. I keep hearing about it may take a special tool to remove the tranny cooler lines when doing a new radiator install, but when this "guy" took them off he just used a wrench, could he have damaged the lines by taking them off and putting them back on wrong? The tranny fluid is fine, and so is the coolant levels, it just revvs along at 2k rpm's until you get about a 1/4 mile then kicks in. Seems that there is a pressure issue somehow that was not there before the swap out. Could the radiator cause this? It's a new aftermarket, and I have had no overheating issues either, just once when we were putting in coolant, but the car was not driven it just overheated initially as the coolant was not circulating properly after we put it in the radiator, and then we put the coolant in the bleed hole and it was fine. Could something have gotten wet from the steam/coolant coming out when we had to bleed and put coolant in? I am sorry for all the questions, but I am stumped as to what is causing this to happen, and only when I start the car hot or colds.
    edited November 2011
    Hi

Finally I got a good result! As my first message stated the 2001 grand cherokee would drop out of top gear/overdrive once it reached running temp. Many checks were done and to no avail. Sticking solenoids in the tranny was suggested and perhaps may be the case in other vehicles however turns out that in my case it was diagnosed as the output speed sensor, a $40 part. A new one was ordered however on fitting it it was found that it was the connector to the output speed sensor that was at fault and a recrimp sorted that out! six weeks of hassle and thoughts that a new tranny may be needed and it turned out a basic connection! I hope your problem is as simple to fix and it sounds identical to mine.

Good luck.
  • badfingerbadfinger Member Posts: 3
    This is what the problem is that the trans shop or stealership wont tell ya.
    Nobody on these forums can figure it out because i had the very same problem and all they can say is rebuild. Bullcrap!
    What it is,is a pluged trans line and or radiator. On one of the lines between the radiator and the trans lines is a check valve that gets plugged. Which causes the radiator to also plug. It is a very easy fix with a air compressor. I changed every sensor and silinoids and still the same problem. The OD light would come on and about a couple of miles later the trans overtemp light would com on. The reason is the fluid isnt flowing through the radiator and it takes a while to overheat the trans.

So undo the trans lines at the radiator and on the trans a
    nd aslo take that check valve off the line and see if that little ball bearing is stuck. blow air through the lines and through the radiator and also the check valve and you will find why your trans is throwing codes and overheating!!

I spent alot of meaningless money to find this out. Hope this helps dont rebuild
    ,rethink!! Mark
    I bet you burn out anther speed sensor because mine was doing that also.
    That sensor is burning out because the trans is getting to hot.
    from Mark
    This is because when he replace the radiator he bypassed or took out the little check valve thats in the one of the two lines that goes to the the radiator, Im willing to bet because thats what that valve is for. Or its a bad check valve. Transmission shops will take that little valve out when they rebuild and upgrade your shift kit
    It is right up front and easy to get at . And causes alot of trouble as you can see on this forum. Mark
  • ajs122ajs122 Member Posts: 10
    does anyone know if the new 8 speed transmission will be used for JGC and if so when? TIA
    Ahhh, I never would have thought of that, I am going to look at this tonight if it does not chill down too much! Spent all of two hours getting a coolant sensor off and finding out it was not that either! Uggg, never another non-Jeep person again! Thanks for the info, I hope it is the valve, I am getting sick of this issue!
  • nick2323nick2323 Member Posts: 1
    when im in idle and i go to take off my 93 jeep grand cherokee into first gear my jeep does a shake hard if i hit the gas to hard but if i back of the gas its fine does anyone know what this might be i'm thinking transmission but thats the only problems it does tranmission wise it shifts fine runs good picks up speed so i'm kinda losr
  • arenniearennie Member Posts: 1
    i have a 02 grand cherokee 2.7 crd. it will not come out of first gear, after a mile run when it happened the gearbox is to hot to touch, plus the park light is staying on.
    Does anyone know specifically which of the hoses coming into the radiator house the tranny check valve on a 1999 4.7?
  • 2002jeeplaredo2002jeeplaredo Member Posts: 3
    I have a 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 130k miles. There have been some issue the past couple months. The transmission seal leaked. Got the seal and the filters replaced. Then, the front crank shaft seal sprung a leak. Got that replaced too. Now, the transmission is not engaging while shifting into reverse or while in drive. For instance, when I am stopped at a light, in drive, light turns green to go, pushing the gas only causes the RPM's to raise. I have to let off the gas, put it back in park, back in drive and then the transmission engages. While stopped, the transmission acts as a manual, I roll back when letting off the brake, instead of creeping forwards.
    Any ides???
    Thank you!!
  • 2002jeeplaredo2002jeeplaredo Member Posts: 3
    To add to the above...on my way home from work, I was stopped at a light when it turned green, I gave it gas to go and the transmission didn't engage. As I left off the gas and the RPM's got to about 1200, the transmission slammed into 1st. Check engine light came on with code P0700. With doing some researching online, it could be the transmission control module or the electronic shifter module. Any ideas?
    Headed to the dealer in the morning...I suppose.
    :confuse: