Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Smart Fortwo

Comments

• Options
    kelly1stkelly1st Member Posts: 4
    I just re-read your post and I should mention the handling in the snow. I reside in Mass. I couldn't wait for the first snow fall to test the Smart and see how it did in the snow. First snow fall I took it out to an open parking lot and put it into every possible slide I could and did all I could to fish tale it. The more I tried at high speeds it just did verry slight slides and then corrected itself as if it didn't want to slide. I finely realized why and it is due to the light weight of the Smart compared to a bigger car such as my Chevy Impala. I drove the Impala like I did the Smart I could have gotten it into a 360 turn around but the Smart slid very littel. It sildes but with no pressure to the gas of the brake it just corrects itself as the ABF does it's job for you! It drove good over the snow minus snow tire's. With snow tires no issue at all in heavy snow or even ice for that matter. Same with any car when it comes to both snow and Ice, drive with caution but more importantly watch out for the other drivers who think they can ignore safety when it comes to snow and ice or worse yet those who think because htey have a four wheel drive they can do 50 and 60 in snow. All that means is you got more ways to wreck then with just a two wheel drive. In answer to your question, the Smart does fine in snow. Better actually since with the Smart you can heat up your seats in the winter and that makes for a toasty warm drive!!
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Doesn't the Smart have stability control? If so, that may be one reason why it didn't slide much.
  • Options
    cburn85cburn85 Member Posts: 2
    Fantastic information and all good news to me. As soon as I pull enough together for a downpayment I'm going to make my way to a dealership, or rather the only dealership with them here in Oklahoma. My last hurdle is just going to be getting used to all the attention I'm going to get. These things probably gets stares and comments in the big cities, but here in Oklahoma I have yet to see a single smart on the road so I know I'll turn heads.
  • Options
    aww, you probably already turn heads.
  • Options
    kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    I cant get past the requirement for premium gas. Effectively cuts the mileage by 10-20%. No diesel?
  • Options
    stout7735stout7735 Member Posts: 20
    Handle it, cheapskate... :cry:
  • Options
    My new Yaris will handle it very well indeed! The same mileage, the same price, room for four, and does it all on regular!
  • Options
    However, your Yaris does not have a high performance engine,asymetrical tires,transparent roof,automatic air,paddle shifters,leather steering wheel,red interior,sport suspension, and non- corrosive body panels that my Corvette like Smart Passion has... ;)
  • Options
    Nor does it need them!
  • Options
    prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    watching the minions of this board argue over whose tiny, little dangerous car is better! Both the Yaris and Smart are deathtraps. The "Smart" scores 130 and the Yaris 118, both very near the bottom of the list in safety.

http://www.informedforlife.org/demos/FCKeditor/UserFiles/File/1MasterSCOREr.pdf
  • Options
    I think we need to be driving smaller cars. Im all in favor of cars the size of the Smart Car. I ride a motorcycle so driving a small car, even a Smart, doesnt scare me. Theres a risk (pretty small for me because I dont drive much) but I think its worse to feed economys like the Venezulans, Russians, and Saudis etc who hate us.
  • Options
    It's also amusing watching you, priggly, come back like the Energizer bunny, popping up on a forum of a car you hate, and blathering on about how unsafe it is to people who have chosen to purchase the car and love it. I do hope you are spending at least as much time on the Ranger forums telling those poor saps how much more unsafe their trucks are than even a lowly smart deathtrap. And all those Harley riders you gotta reach! Saving lives, one inane post at a time.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    In what universe does the Yaris get the same gas mileage as the Smart? Last time I checked the Smart got better gas mileage. Even considering the extra costs of premium gas the Smart will get you further on a dollars worth of gas.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    Smart 33 mpg in town. My Yaris is getting between 35 and 36 mpg in town albeit i have driven only about 800 miles so far. The official numbers for the Yaris is 29 mpg. Maybe i would also do better than 33 if I drove the Smart. Whats premium now 40 cents more/gallon? Regular is $2.50 in NJ.
  • Options
    Close your trap. Who made you the board censor, anyway?
  • Options
    sbonhartwellsbonhartwell Member Posts: 13
    Looks like some folks can not take it when expressions of others differ from theirs. This whole forum is quite informative if one just takes it for its purpose and not be so serious in making or intrepreting statements.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's back off the personal stuff please
  • Options
    I di a little figuring on the added cost of running premium in a car as opposed to regular. Its not as bad as I thought. In two cars getting the same mileage but one running on premium and one running on regular, the car requiring premium will cost about 7.5 per cent more for fuel. In the case of a car getting 33 mpg thats the equivalent of 2.3 miles per gallon. Or looking at in another way the car running on regular will cost $75 per thousand miles of driving, whereas the premium based car will cost $81. Thats $600 over 100k miles. (at $2.5 0per gallon for regular, $2.70 for premium)
  • Options
    "Americans are buying more small cars to cut fuel costs, and that might kill them.

As a group, occupants of small cars are more likely to die in crashes than those in bigger, heavier vehicles are, according to data from the government, the insurance industry and the National Academy of Sciences (NAS)."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-08-19-small-cars_N.htm
  • Options
    But drivers of oversized cars are subsidising countries who sponsor terrorism and wasting our irreplacable natural resources. What price do you put on that? Besides wed be a lot safer if everyone drove a small car.
  • Options
    Don't worry...The Smart will be a full sized car in 2016.... ;)
  • Options
    Thanks again for your continued input. I am certainly enlightened by it all. But as you can see, there are other points of view and many ways to measure things. Yours is but one.

One wouldn't necessarily think of the smart as safer by most any measure than the Ford Ranger, but apparently it is. Thus general groups of vehicles show trends, but there is greater variety in safety when comparing individual models. Now, has anyone heard about a spate of deaths or dismemberments due to driving a smart? Some real world information would be helpful.

Small cars will eventually be here in quantity. Oil will go back into triple digits sooner than we think (any up hiccup in the market appears to drive up price--as it is now a better investment than the dollar and stocks--and any economic upturn that is real will drive the price up further) and car makers have plans for many more small models. It is true by almost any measure that new small cars are safer than older large cars. But it takes a long time for the fleet to change over. Meanwhile, safety tech will continue to develop. I don't think anyone would have thought 20 years ago that it was possible to make a car as tiny as the smart as safe as it is.

Most small cars do not have stability control, brake assist, six airbags, etc. whereas these things have become common on larger vehicles. All of those things will soon be standard equipment on all cars.

It is strange how safety concerned some of us have become (myself included). I remember as a kid riding in the back of a 60s station wagon...no car seat, no seat!, no seat belt on, no shoulder harness, no airbags. Today my parents would be investigated by child protection services. And those things, big as they were, crumbled up and burst apart easily on impact. Somehow most of us survived. Part of that is due to the fact that on a driven miles basis, a truly horrific crash is extremely rare.

A little off topic here, sorry. I was one of the first to order a smart. I cancelled the order and bought something else. Now, looking at what is coming for fuel prices, I have some regret. I drive 140 miles in the beginning of the week, stay a few days for work, and then return 140 miles a few days later (with city driving each day while I am there). I have been doing this for years, and I have hardly ever encountered any traffic problems, let alone seen any awful accidents (have seen a number of minor misshaps). Not that it couldn't happen. But I end up driving my oldest vehicle, a diesel, because I can always get smart level (42+ mpg) out of it. My newer car (average 28 mpg) sits much of the time. The smart would have gotten much more use.
  • Options
    That's a load of crap. There is no shortage of natural resources except in the minds of AlGoreites. Are you one of these?
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's not veer off into other stuff. Thanks
  • Options
    Maybe not but gas sure gets EXPENSIVE!
  • Options
    Priggly, I have no idea, other than what I read, what quantity of oil is left. But that is beside the point, as perception is much more influencial than reality. The fact that oil has bounced up over $70, when there is no shortage of supply at the moment and demand is down for the foreseeable future, is proof enough of that.

And what is a load of crap? That I rode in a station wagon without a car seat as a kid? As for natural resources, there is a finite supply regardless of how much remains. You and I may think we do not have to worry about it--unless we care about the generations coming after us who may not have the same opportunities to lift energy easily from the earth--but everything does eventually run out, including the sun. Planning ahead for tighter supplies is not insane. But more to the point, when people fear something is growing more scarce, no amount of reassurance is going to convince them otherwise.

Finally, be nice. This isn't war here.
  • Options
    johnxyzjohnxyz Member Posts: 94
    "However, your Yaris does not have a high performance engine..."

I like the high-tech fabrication of the SmartCar (vs. Yaris) but was disappointed to learn that the US market has a very standard, if not old tech Mitsubishi engine in place of the Mercedes-sourced engine that was apparently in Gen I and/or current Euro-spec version/model? Is the diesel engine in the Canadian-market Smart a Mercedes?

Now if they put in a truly high perf., latest tech direct injection engine (and not necessarily from Japan) that would be worth talking about..

Who supplies what has been considered a rough/crude transmission, too?

I still think its a cool car - its just the IIHS or however did the testing whereby the Smart/Fit/Yaris got bounced like a ping-pong ball makes you take pause. Even though all of the above I still like the Smart Car better than the Fit and Yaris.

Any discounting off MSRP lately ( we are approaching 10% unemployment, if not already there now....)?

Thanks
  • Options
    70 HP from 61 non-turbo cubic inches qualifies as a high performance engine...
    Transmission by Getrag, like in the Ferrari...
    Even Kelly Blue book lists it in their top 10 coolest cars under $18,000 (the Yaris didn't make the list)...
    Like the Rolls Royce,there is no discount off MSRP of the Smart yet...

;)
  • Options
    johnxyzjohnxyz Member Posts: 94
    Thanks stout7735 Follow-up question - someone posted that the (Getrag) tranny was designed to be abrupt between shifts -similar to a race car - precise like. I've read 10,000 complaints on the 'jerky' transmission but that was the 1st comment that might actually have explained it as an intentional design performance characteristic - can you shed any light on this transmission (non) issue?

So the Mitsu engine is fine - good to go?

Thanks again
  • Options
    missadams1missadams1 Member Posts: 4
    I am of the opinion that a Smart is the perfect car if you live in a big city. If I would have one I would use it for daily business. With this car it is definitely a lot easier to find a parking spot and additionally you have enough space in order to stow the purchase.
  • Options
    The transmission is manual(but automated) insuring no slippage and maximum fuel economy...It feels like a manual because it is a manual....

The Mitsu engine is actually superior to the prior Mercedes engine used in the Smart....
  • Options
    jpeters1970jpeters1970 Member Posts: 82
    Hi Folks. I've been seeing more and more Smart cars on the road today and that really is great. It is amazing that Americans have finally begun to use their heads and make an informed decision about saving fuel and having fun at the same time. Here in NY there is a company that cleans windows and their entire fleet of cars are Smart cars with a rack on the top holding a folded up ladder. Very cool indeed.

I do have a question though. Have any of you tried to use regular fuel with positive results? I can't see how this would ruin the engine since the only effect may be a small drop in performance.

I sat in one not too long ago. A guy I knew who owned a trucking school told me to sit in the car and I was surprised by how much room it had. I did not feel closed in at all. The best thing is the ability to park in spots that most cars would have to pass up. Great for those tight city parking spots. Lastly, fear of small cars???? Drive safely and defensively and you will have no issues. Contrary to what some people think, the Smart is a very safe car. Granted it is small, but it is designed in a way to give up its life for yours in the unlikely event of a crash. I've driven motorcycles and I have no fear of ever driving a Smart. Don't you get annoyed with people that always are pessimistic and fear the worst!! Geeeez!!! Go out and enjoy the ride. Get the convertible!!!!!
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I do have a question though. Have any of you tried to use regular fuel with positive results? I can't see how this would ruin the engine since the only effect may be a small drop in performance.

What you wil probably discover is a drop in fuel economy as well - perhaps more than what will offset the higher price of premium. The $0.20 per gallon you save will be a false economy.
  • Options
    All true, but in answer to the question, using regular will not harm the engine...as rob sez, it will just reduce your mpg and power, as the computer adjusts to the lower octane.
  • Options
    kelly1stkelly1st Member Posts: 4
    I asked the vey same question when I picked up my Smart last year. I was told I could use Regular if I desired but it would most importantly create a build up of carbon and lose as you say MPGand over all performance All in all since it is a small high performance engine why risk damage to the engine to save what at best $3.20 a fill up! I was also informed that I should buy Sunnoco Fuel since I buy Mobil. They told me Sunnoco is a better fuel compared to all the others. Problem is where I live tough to find a Sunnoco station. All in all I can't complain at 46 MPG in the city even though they say I can increase my MPG with Sunnoco.
  • Options
    carfinaticcarfinatic Member Posts: 1
    If you are looking to buy a smart car, check out Ebay. There are smart cars on there that are 08' and 09' and only have 2k miles on them. They are selling for half the price of new. Even the cabrio's.
  • Options
    I was just perusing the current score for this car on the informedforlife.org site and found that the most recent evaluation was 162! This is the lowest (highest risk) score for ALL 2010 vehicles evaluated to this point in time.

I sure would not want to be in a frontal collision in this thing!

Drive at your own risk.

http://www.informedforlife.org/demos/FCKeditor/UserFiles/File/1MasterSCOREr.pdf
  • Options
    There are many issues with informedforlife that render its rating system completely and totally useless. They inflate some risks with no scientific bases to support it, it seems that they go by feeling. Truth be told after looking into this group if they told me the sky was blue I would still look at the sky to see for myself.

Come back when you have something else.

• Options
    sbonhartwellsbonhartwell Member Posts: 13
    I agree. Regarding the Smart car , I have seen a lot of very favorable ratings as well as many unfavorable ones. Everyone has different attitudes and uses of the car varry from folks to folks as do their needs. I have observed these cars in Gemrnay for may years. There, they also have Smart Cars for four and deisel engine options.

I think the Smart car has a place in the USA. My main issue with them is that the gas mileage in relation to the size is pretty low.
  • Options
    LIke a dog with a bone, priggly. I do not understand why you cannot accept that there is a demand for and uses for all sorts of transportation conveyances. I would likewise not want to be in a frontal collision on a bicycle or a motorcycle or a 1959 Chevrolet Impala (the thing folds up like paper) or a VW Vanagon, but I don't think any of them should be banned or their ownes castigated for using them. Don't you think most people can see the smart is a tiny car? For its size, it is the safest thing out there. It is a great urban vehicle and there should be lots more of them in situations where people commute alone in urban traffic.

My hesitation to buy one has to do with the jerky transmission, and with cars like the full-size 2011 Hyundai Sonata getting 35 mpg highway with no special tricks, a car the size of a smart in 2011 should be getting 50+ mpg consistently. But I certainly wouldn't be discouraging anyone from buying one if it fits their needs. If anything needs discouragement, it is large SUV purchased by people who never tow or go off roading. Those are an environmental disaster.
  • Options
    aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    My compliments to you...well said-

I agree totally, and I'm sure there are others who read these entries and also agree with what you say concerning the Smart.

It gets sooooooooo tired to read what the naysayers have to say about the Smart.

Peace!<-AladdinSane<- :shades: -
  • Options
    How many Americans have been killed in their Smart in a collision??? GOTCHA!!!
  • Options
    Here is one example for you. There are doubtless many others.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/20215050/detail.html
  • Options
    There are doubtless many others? Ok, show me, find them. And while you are at it, why not provide the statistics for deaths per miles driven for smart and compare that figure to Aveo, Accent, Rio, Calibur, etc.?

BTW, this unfortunately is the way many elderly drivers in accidents die, regardless of what they are driving.
  • Options
    My guess is that the 82 year old driver would have been killed in a majority of cars out on the road.

Tell us what kind of car do you drive?

I bet you I can find more incidents of fatalities in that car (unless its a rare exotic car) than you can for the Smart.

But either way it proves nothing.

Do you have anything to support your website?

• Options
    jeff618jeff618 Member Posts: 29
    I've been a trico neoform guy for a while now but this time I tried 'trico tech beam blades' for the smart fortwo. They just came out in late 2009 and what's cool is they have a new, lower, slighty off-set attachment mounting that allows the wiper arms to sit slightly lower. The trico techs are also beefy as hell and look awesome with the lower mounts. They wipe clean and quietly without chatter. Came with removal and replacement instructions - easy install. Picked them up online - they actually cost LESS than the neoforms.
  • Options
    carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    I haven't heard anyone mention these topics yet and I've been real curious. I live in Florida so good AC performance is a must. Is the AC able to keep the interior cold regardless of how hot and humid it is outside? This is one area Mazda can't seem to get right and Toyota has had issues in some of their small cars as well. Also, the website specifies that the top is completely electric in operation but Car and Driver mentioned you have to take off the B rails in order to put the top all the way down. So, how exactly does the top work? How do the panels over the front windows come off? How easy is it to operate? Lastly, on the Passion coupe, can you take the panaramic roof off or does it pop up for ventilation, or is it just fixed in place for extra sunlight? Thanks for any input,
    I love the Smart and I've been seeing quite a few of them around, including on the highway keeping up easily with all the high speed traffic. I sat in one at the local auto show and found it to be very roomy and comfortable. People were very curious about the car and were swarming all over it. It seems to be catching on down here even though highways are required to get anywhere in this state. The Smart fits me perfectly, even as a primary vehicle because I'm single and have no kids. I'm seriously considering one as my next car. My only pause is with the transmission. I'd rather they offer a true manual or a true auto. The automatic single clutch system isn't the best of tradeoffs. They need to offer a 6 speed automatic or a dual clutch auto-manual like VW uses. I was happy to read how easy it is to change the oil. That's smart packaging that you don't need to jack it up!!
  • Options
    dunepearldunepearl Member Posts: 13
    Having owned one in south florida, I can assure you that the AC is more than adequate. The pano roof is fixed. Do yourself a BIG favor and take one out on I95 at 70mph for a mile or two BEFORE you buy one. :lemon:
  • Options
    I cruise nicely at 80 mph on the Interstates in Arizona...The gas mileage is the best favor you can give yourself... :D
  • Options
    redfred1redfred1 Member Posts: 8
    We have the convertible and live in Central Texas. Black top so can get rather warm when getting in the car if parked for awhile outdoors. AC works terrific and continues to do so at higher speeds when temp is 100 or better. While there is some decrease in power, as with any car, it does not interfere with regular driving. Car will still do 90 mph on the freeway. :-) Darned governor.
This discussion has been closed.