Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Lexus RX 350

coach06coach06 Member Posts: 16
edited March 2014 in Lexus
Searching the internet recently and found these photo's of the next generation RX. It looks like production will begin in late December 2008 with sales beginning in early Spring 2009..

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiasts/Spy_Shots_and_Future_Cars/2009_Lexus- - _RX_Spied.S178.A13214.html

Comments

• luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    I forgot where I read it , but it says Spring of 2008 or early Summer of 2008
    the 2009 RX will be in the showrooms.

Lou
  • carlovernjcarlovernj Member Posts: 77
    Lexus has announced the 2009 RX is coming out in February 2008. I believe the new redisigned model, the 2010 RX will be coming out in February 2009. What I would like to know are the differences between the 2008 and 2009 RX's. I want to buy the current 2008 RX during the "December to Remember" event, but I don't want to do so until I know the details of the 2009 model.

If anyone knows, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi,

Thanks for the response.

The website you sent might be the next re-designed model which, if I'm not mistaken, will be the 2010 RX.

The 2009 RX which comes out in February '08 is supposedly going to be the same as the 2008 model.

There seems to be some confusion on this. I was hoping someone can confirm.

Thanks so much.
  • sshvhsshvh Member Posts: 13
    I have the 2009 RX brochure - it is unchanged with only a new color added (Pebble Beach edition) and a new color - otherwise vehicle is the same. Just ordered a 2008 RX with ML and NAV and Rear entertainment for $ 6.3K below MSRP ($ 500 below invoice)
    Thanks so much, where did you get the 2009 RX brochure from? Every time I contact Lexus customer service, they don't seem to have ANY information on the 2009 RX.

I just have a few questions regarding the 2009 RX.

Are the 18" 5 spoke wheels still offered (I am not sure if I like the 7 spoke)?
    Is the engine still 270 hp?
    Any new features added?
    Any new interior color added?
    By the way, what new color was added? (There is a dark blue color offered on the Hybrid which is pretty nice and wouldn't mind getting on the RX).

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your help.
  • chicagotigerchicagotiger Member Posts: 15
    I'm being told that Lexus is going to unveil the new redesigned RX350 at the Chicago Auto Show in Feb. They will start taking orders and probably be ready for delivery in the Summer Aug08.... If you like the 2008 body, you can get a good deal, probably at invoice or below.... they are try to get rid of all of them before the hype comes out on the new body. It will have upgraded tech features, keyless entry and starter, iPod docks, theater seating.... not sure where you got the 2009 brochure, but it's not accurate.
    Thanks. I don't have the 2009 RX brochure, I was replying to sshvh who claims to have the brochure. Dealers have also told me that the 2009 RX will be unchanged. It is not until the 2010 RX comes out next year, that changes will be made.

I keep hearing different things.

Are your sources valid?
  • cfw1cfw1 Member Posts: 4
    I think you are referring to the 2010 RX350. That is suppose to be on sale in the Spring of 2009. The 2009 RX350 brochures are out and this vehicle is very similar to the 2008 and will be in dealerships in February. No changes to the 2009 and the pricing is only $100 more than the 2008 models.
    Where did you get a 2009 RX brochure from, I would love to get one.

Thanks so much.
  • prazpraz Member Posts: 163
    How many of you feel that the current RX does not have the same luxury feel as other Lexus cars. RX is having almost same exterior and interior for many years while other models have been re-designed, even it's competition. I understand that it is the benchmark for luxury SUV and sells over 100 units a year but should have been re-designed for 2009. What you guys think?
    I meant to say 100K units per year.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Lexus cars, as well as most other brands cars, are redesigned approx. every 5 model years. The Lexus RX is not 5 years yet. The First RX ran from the 1999 model year to 2003 which is 5 model years. The second came out in 2004 and should run through 2008. So a new one should come out for 2009 or maybe they might stretch it a year more to 2010. Any car that has been on the market for 3-4 starts looking old. Nothing new with that. But the RX is still selling very well for being in it's 4th model year so Lexus probably might stretch the model run to 6 years. ">
    As you probably read in this forum, the 2009 RX coming out next month (Feb '08) will be unchanged from the current 2008 version. The new body design and changes will be the 2010 model.
  • krisvkrisv Member Posts: 25
    I'm curious as to where everyone is hearing the 2009's are coming out in February? I know Lexus released the 2008's early last year in Feb and they had a press release about this, but I've yet to see anything official from the company talking about the 2009's. Also, for those that state they have a brochure, where did you get them from?

Thanks!
    Lexus has not announced anything about the 2009 RX, but because of these forums, we are able to obtain great information. Apparently, some of the Lexus dealerships had gotten the 2009 RX brochures over the last few weeks, and told customers they are coming out in February. Also, there were leaks coming from Lexus corporate regarding the 2009 pricing (up by $100) and that the 2009 RX is coming out in February. Over the next two weeks or so, all dealerships will have 2009 RX brochures.
  • glennglennglennglenn Member Posts: 55
    "How many of you feel that the current RX does not have the same luxury feel as other Lexus cars. RX is having almost same exterior and interior for many years while other models have been re-designed, even it's competition. "

I have owned the following recently: 2004 Toyota Highlander, AWD V-6; a 2006 RX and a 2008 GX470. Clearly, the Highlander and the RX are amazingly similar and the RX is basically a gussied up Highlander. Same engine, same interior etc. The GX is different from the 4 Runner in that it has the V-8 and the KDSS (Dynamic Suspension). I agree that the RX is does NOT have the luxury feel of the other Lexus lineup. Even the GX feels "classy" and rich by comparison to the RX. I still maintain that the RX is nothing more than a dressed up Highlander. The 09 RX is going to be nothing more than a increase in price of the 08 and no significant changes of note.
    Glenn,
    I totally agree with you. With so many choices in the market now, I think cars have to be re-designed every 4 years or 5 years to the max. I saw a couple of RX300 before I started this topic and the exterior/interior are almost similar to RX330 and RX350. There are changes but not significant that you will get confused. The current design will be in it's 6th year until re-designed for 2010 and I feel they should have re-designed for 2009 so that the sales will be even stronger and will not lose prospective customers to the competetion. Also, with the current interior it does not feel as though it is a luxury (lexus) SUV but a toyota highlander with extra $10,000.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I think it drives pretty darned good for an SUV and everyone that
    rides in it with me is impressed with the interior design and some of the gadgets such as the power liftgate and the rainsensing wipers to name a few. I'm liking this car enough that I'm considering buying it at the end of my lease.
    I have to disagree with this one. Every time I step into my RX350,
    I feel coddled and I love the looks of the interior. To me, it's very rich looking. It drives very nice and everyone that takes a ride in it has been impressed with the interior quality and also the little gadgets here and there such as the power liftgate, rainsensing wipers and the wood steering wheel and wood shift knob. I'm liking this car enough that I'm thinking about buying it at the end of my lease!
  • briegelbriegel Member Posts: 139
    I agree...I just did buy mine at the end of my lease!
    As I said in my earlier post, it sells more than 100,000 units a year and is a bench mark for other luxury SUV's. I admit that RX350 is luxurious but what I meant to say was it is not as luxurious as other Lexus vehicles. I agree that the design (exterior and interior) is 6 or more years old but the point I was making was that they should have re-designed the vehicle and added more luxury and tech into their best selling SUV so that the sales would be even better. With competition growing in that segment, I hoped they re-designed the vehicle instead of selling under invoice (as read in other posts). It is a good and well rounded SUV and hope it will always be a benchmark for other SUV's in the market. Enjoy your vehicle.
  • glennglennglennglenn Member Posts: 55
    I think my post was misinterpreted. I have owned all 3 of the vehicles mentioned and BY far, the Lexus GX 470 feels much more "substantial" than the RX 350 and the Highlander. The GX is more like an SUV in the sense that it is a truck (based on the 4 Runner) and CAN be taken off-road, can TOW a boat yet give the ride of the RX 350 with a TON more torque. Just can't get V-8 torque out of a 6 without a supercharger or turbo. I still maintain that the RX 350 is just a jazzed up Highlander Limited and the same can be said for the GX 470, although the 4 Runner does not have the V-8. Not to say the RX is not a nice ute, its just that for 10 K less , you can get a V-6 Highlander Limited with ALL of the amenities of the RX except for the Link. In fact, on a percentage basis, the Highlander offers a better resale value than the RX and will sell just as easy in the used car market. Its a case of Toyota cannibalizing its own. If you want to compare the RX to the Acura RDX or even MDX, yes, the Lexus /Toyota is the clear winner.
    But, see, in my case, I never liked the exterior styling or the interior styling on the Highlander. I liked the styling both exterior
    and interior-wise on the RX. At least the latest body style had a different look from most crossover SUV's, although they're all starting to look similar to each other nowadays. I do recall the Highlander had that nice, creamy ride when I got to drive a rental
    several years back.
    LOL!! Seriously, I do believe the buyout price on my RX350 would be hard to pass up because I feel that it would cost me
    possibly three or four thousand dollars more at least to buy this car used at that age and at that time! So we'll see what happens further down the road. Also, while there a lot of choices
    in the crossover segment these days, particularly the CUV's with
    third row seats (Which I have no need for!) as far as fuel mileage
    goes, the RX350 does better than most of the others.
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Hi maximafan sorry this isnt about the RX, but i saw in one of the murano forums you said you had rented a murano in florida, which company did you do through? Im trying to get one for a 2 week trip and i cant find out which rental company has one, thanks so much for the help!
    Hello, Quattroporte! I live in Tampa, Florida and the Enterprise
    Leasing folks near where I live have been pretty accommodating
    to me at requesting a certain car. It also helps that this particular
    Enterprise location is right across the street from a Nissan dealership and a Hyundai dealership. If you've got an Enterprise
    location where you live, ask about requesting a particular vehicle.
    That's not to say I have always gotten what I requested,but I believe they have granted at least two of my requests that I can
    recall.

Also, another thing that I have been doing the last few times is
    make my reservations on line (as it seems impossible sometimes
    to reach the actual location by phone) and then possibly upgrading when I get to the location or asking (Like I have done
    with the Murano) if the Murano was available. Good Luck!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The online technical specifications and the sales brochures, dealer supplied and online e-brochure, for the RX350 continue to state that the AWD system is based on the VC, Viscous Clutch, across the center diff'l. The Lexus shop/repair manuals at techinfo.toyota.com indicate the VC is NOT used in the later models, the RX330 & RX350.

The following was in my email archives....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - ----------------------------------------

...Recently you submitted a question to the Lexus Customer Satisfaction
    Department.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you
    within 120 hours.
    Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

You may also update this question by replying to this message. Because
    your reply will be automatically processed, you MUST enter your reply
    in the space below. Text entered into any other part of this message
    will be discarded.
    [===> Please enter your reply below this line Please enter your reply above this line http://lexus.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/lexus.cfg/php/enduser/acct_login.php?p_userid=- - [email protected]&p_next_page=myq_upd.php&p_refno=041026-000006&p_created=1098- - 835191

Subject
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    No Summary

Discussion Thread
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Response (Richard Hollingsworth) - 10/27/2004 09:41 AM
    Dear Mr. West,

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction regarding the 2005 RX 330. We appreciate your interest in this vehicle.

Per our technical department, the 2005 RX 330 does not have a viscous coupling LSD. The vehicle has adopted a full-time all-wheel drive system. We are sorry for the misinformation.

If you would like to discuss your concerns further, you can also reach the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,
    Richard Hollingsworth
    Lexus Customer Satisfaction

Customer (Willard West) - 10/26/2004 04:59 PM
    The current 2005 RX330 e-brochure indicates that the 2005 AWD RX330 has the viscous coupling again.

Is this actually true or is this a typo?

Willard West
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Thanks maximafan! I live in the DC area, but im planning on renting a car in Las Vegas for a 2 week grand caynon trip, which is why id rather have a comfortable, reliably japenese car (with auto AC}) such as a murano or cx-7 rather than some ford escape. Ive heard that enterprise can be hard-headed when it comes to reserving specific model cars, compared with companies like hertz (however they also dont have the murano listed in their fleet). I wouldnt be happy if i got all the way out there and had to drive something other than i had planned on for 2 weeks. My trip isnt until august so would you suggest i wait until right before to make the reservation, and then try to reserve the specific model of car?
    Lexus website has listed 2009 Lexus meaning one can buy now or in few days 2009 RX 350 (old design, non hybrid).
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Can anyone tell me whether "classic silver" is different from the previous "millennium silver"? Also, what RX350 option packages are standard on the Pebble Beach edition?
    Quattroporte, I would definitely go ahead and make your reservation as soon as possible, and then as you get closer to the
    actual date, call and have a talk with them about possibly requesting a specific type of car. I know where I live, sometimes
    it's just impossible to speak to someone live on the phone at the
    local location. So here lately, I've been making the reservations on the internet and then when I do get there the day of my pick-up, then I start to ask questions as to whether they might be able to get a certain car for me.

Then again, each location may be totally different from each other
    as far as availability of these vehicles and just simply the way
    management will accommodate you. But I would go ahead and make the reservation now and then maybe give them a call as you
    get closer to your pick-up date.
    Hi Praz,

I had called Lexus regarding the new "Classic Silver" color.

They said it is slightly darker than the Millennium Silver. Classic Silver is still metallic however, so it will have a nice sparkle as did the Millennium.

I guess we'll have to see it in person to see how nice it is.
    Carlovernj,
    I guess so, it will look much better than the one they have now. Also, 2008 lexus has $2,000 incentive and since there is not much difference between 08 and 09, better to go for 2008 and shoot for minimum $2,000 less than invoice.
    Hi Praz,

I heard of $3,000 cash back last month, I wonder if that carried over.

Someone in these forums from California got $2800 off invoice price.
    As per this forum, CA customers buy less than invoice. So, if there is an incentive for $2000 than CA customers might get more discounts but will customers in other states get the same discounts? There are lot variables to it but no harm in trying to shoot for lesser price.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Does the power tailgate on the 2008 RX350 lock automatically when it closes?
    Yes
    That's what I thought too. But it does not do that on my brother's '08, whether he closes it with the fob, or the button on the tail gate. Perhaps that's one of the customizeable settings that has to be programmed by the dealer?

Thanks!
  • josephd05josephd05 Member Posts: 46
    4Runner does not have the V8? LOL, you would be wrong. Same drivetrain as 07 landcruiser and GX470, WONDERFUL engine. Also, the Limited 4runner is a better ride for sure with it's Xreas suspension. the Gx is very tippy and handles poorly. The advantages of the GX are better fit and finish, quiter and some more luxury featuers, although my rig as nav, bluetooth, air suspension, rear camera, memory seats, etc. The side opening door on the GX is not nearly as useful, especially in the rain and the rear window does not open, unlike the 4runner. I am about to give up my 4runner, but only because of the terrible lack of thigh support for tall drivers (I'm 6'4"). Other than that, it's a fantastic truck.
  • rpacrpac Member Posts: 83
    I have a question regarding a brand new 2009 RX350 I just took delivery of today. Test drove the car with the salesman yakking chatting. Today when I drove the car off I could hear a very minor whine/moan coming from transmission on acceleration I took it back and the shop foreman gave it a very thorough test drive. He said some kind of pump in transmission making noise on acceleration. Says not to worry about it, besides I have a long warranty. That doesnt make me feel better. What do I do? Is this serious down the line or???
    Thank you much - as your answers are most appreciated.
    rpac, my 2007 RX350 does not make this whining noise coming from the transmission. I would maybe pursue it a little more with the dealership and see if they can't make the noise go away.

Good luck!
    Ask to test drive another one for comparison. If the noise is not there, then get the issue resolved pronto, long warranty or not.
  • krisvkrisv Member Posts: 25
    Rpac, I have a 2009 RX350 that we got in August. There has NEVER been any whine or moan on acceleration in ours. I agree you should escalate this with Lexus service.
  • chevy769chevy769 Member Posts: 12
    Please comment on this: I like to use the "Seek" button to mindlessly peddle through the channels on my Yukon. It will go from 1 to 220+ one channel at a time. The Seek button on the dash of my 2009 RX XM Radio may go up one or two or 3 channels, may skip 15 channels, or may circle back to the channel where I started. (I know that the seek on the steering wheel goes through the presets). I complained to the service advisor and was told that the seek would go through only those channels in a category, such as Decades,Country and Folk, or Pop Hits. I did not believe this explanation yesterday, and not today, either.

What do you guys think?
    I think if you have ability to categorize channels/stations in this manner that is a good feature.

And if you have that feature the explanation is, can be, valid.

We have a ~250 "volume" automatic CD player. I can select a category and it will only play CD's in that category....Christmas music at this point time.
  • jym2009jym2009 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I bought a 2009 RX 350 on Saturday, January 3, 2009. I noticed that the transmission hesitated a few times before downshifting around 40 miles. I requested a replacement on Monday. The dealer told me to go to the service department. The service department said that the SUV needed a new transmission and asked me to wait about a week to fix it. I'd like to get a replacement instead of getting it fixed. What are my options in dealing with the problem? Thanks.
    Surprising since that "re-acceleration" downshifting delay has been pretty much SOP for Toyota and Lexus vehicles since DBW, E-throttle was adopted. DBW was adopted primarily as a "FIX" for the design flaw inherent in their transaxles.

"..needed a new transmission.."

As does thousands upon thousands of Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

Maybe Toyota and Lexus have finally arrived at a fix worthy of installing "new" transaxles..??
    What your dealer's service department might be considering doing is installing the latest "experimental" TSB. There is a TSB available that addresses this "re-acceleration" downshift delay if the customer expresses complaints specific to the TSB wording. But you may not like the results.

All that being said it would not be at all unusual for Lexus to have made an early or mid-production design change and your Lexus rolled off the production line too early to get the revised transaxle.

The simple solution for the design flaw inherent in Toyota and Lexus transaxles beginning about '98 was to adopt a variable displacement ATF pump. Ford has already done that for the new Edge to solve the very same problem and at the same time improve FE to an even greater level.

You may not get a good answer but for those of us who would like to know we would appreciate your asking.
  • jym2009jym2009 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your comments.

It appeared that the particular car had a bad transmission. The service guy told me that there was no TSB on 2009. They had to contact the headquarters to dignose the problem and ordered a new transmission.

Anyhow, the Lexus dealer called me and told me that they would get a new car. Since Lexus stopped shipping 2009 models to dealers, they will probably get one from a different dealer. They seems to take good care of their customers.
This discussion has been closed.