Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord Cabin Air Filter

grampy1grampy1 Member Posts: 140
edited April 2014 in Honda
can someone tell me how to change the cabin air filter in my SE V-6,or provide a link on how to do it? Belive it or not the manual doesn't even mention it.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Hello grampy.
    Your cabin air filter is behind the glove box.Pop the glove box down and you will see the access cover for the cabin air filter
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I called the dealer this morning and they said that there was some parts to disassemble, and when i came in for a oil change they would printout a copy of procedure. Kinda ticks me off that they don't include that in manual as other info.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    You can do a Google search and find the directions on several sites. I'm almost positive they were even posted on a CarSpace thread at one time.

This is pretty narrow so you may want to look in the Maint. & Repair tread... which is probably where this should be posted anyway.
  • Options
    Hello again grampy,
    Here is a link to changing the cabin air filter. I have an SE 4 cyl. so item one does not apply to me, or honda changed this item on the 2007 model year. After you drop the glove box. look for the words "air flow" and arrows pointing downward. This is the filter frame. There is a tab at each end of the frame, press both tabs and pull the assemby out. The filter fits inside of the frame and turning the whole frame upside down will remove the filter.
    Total repair time: 5 minutes. Tools needed: none
    http://www.micronair.us/assets/pdfs/85.pdf
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    It is in my 03 owner's manual, so it should be in yours too. Pg.300

• Options
    Hello Elroy,
    The 2007 owners manual only has 284 pages plus an index. There is reference to the dust and pollen filter on page 225. It says in part: Have your dealer replace the filter when this service is indicated by a maintenance message on the info display. Good message, much better than the instructions I found. I'm starting to get this feeling that the dealership wants to do minor repairs.
  • Options
    Hi Corkscrew and Elroy5,
    Yahoo!!!!! Thanks so much for the picture links as they are the same for my 07'accord. Note though that the plastic glove box stop PUSHES toward the engine compartment,not away as in one photo, to drop the glove box door. At any rate, i was able to find and, R&R the filter in about 5 minutes! I really appreciate you taking to the time to help me.
    grampy1
  • Options
    daylldayll Member Posts: 26
    wow! Never knew the filter even existed! If my 1998 Accord has one it must be a mess! If the '98 has one can I replace it like above? Thanks - dayll
  • Options
    I could be wrong, but from what I remember the 98 doesn't work that way. I'm pretty sure there is a filter though. Have you noticed a drop in air flow? Clogged up filter could be the cause. Try doing a search for the 98 filter replacement. I'm sure there's a how-to on the internet somewhere.

It's all good, grampy :D
  • Options
    thanks elroy5 - that was easy enough (finding the directions I mean). Seems a bit involved but I'll give it a shot. Another question: Are you good with going 5 thou between oil changes? (98 V6 Accord 110,000 miles). thanks again - dayll
  • Options
    Another question: Are you good with going 5 thou between oil changes? (98 V6 Accord 110,000 miles).

That's fine with me, if you're not exceeding the owner's manual recommendations. Since my 03 V6 is driven mostly short trips (less than 5 miles/ severe conditions) I change my oil every 3,000 miles (which is only 750 miles less than the recommendation in the owner's manual). The oil seems to get dirty quickly in this engine, so the oil is a dark brown already at 3,000 miles. Since I change the oil myself, it doesn't cost me that much.
  • Options
    Thank you Elroy5. I too do my own oil changes but I'm getting lazy. I'm sitting in my garage looking at the oil and filter on a shelf but I think I'll clean my golf clubs. thanks again - dayll
  • Options
    rbentonrbenton Member Posts: 30
    Almost 98-02 accords had cabin air filters as long the car had a/c.
    However accessing that cabin air filter is not easy. It is at least an hour long job for most folks. It entails removing the the whole glove box area of dashboard apart.
    Not only are removing the glove box itself but also the crash pad and trim pieces under nearth the glove box too Along with several metal reinforcement bars in the dash. All told one removes about 15-20 screws to get to it.
    :sick:
  • Options
    Thanks rbenton - since it so involved replacing the filters and since my A/C and fresh air intake seems good as ever guess I'll just leave it alone for now. dayll
  • Options
    srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    I changed the cabin filter and the air filter on my own in my dad's 2007 CR-V a month or two back, and I had no idea how easy it was. I had ordered the parts from http://www.handa-accessories.com/. I had been meaning to make a post on how I cheaped out my dad's 30k service over on the CR-V maintenance forums because I had been so used to spending a few hundred bucks on 30k/60k/90k/etc services like I had been doing w/ my own Accord. My 2004 Accord EX SEDAN w/ NAVI is 117,995 miles and I'm due do deal with at least the Cabin Filter soon. I'll follow the advice in this thread, although I'm pretty sure it's similar to how you handle the 2007 Honda CR-V's cabin filter.
  • Options
    su_a_vesu_a_ve Member Posts: 82
    I have an 09 4cyl accord - Do I have a filter ???
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    You do.
This discussion has been closed.