Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Grand Cherokee Gauges

Comments

• Options
    joe454joe454 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I would be interested in this repair. I have the same problem. gages hit zero or freeze in place and airbag light comes on. I hear its a problem up under the dash but, where to look? Thanks, Joe
  • Options
    604doc604doc Member Posts: 182
    Hi Joe,
    Yeah, the problem is in the dash. There are a couple of technical service bulletins from Jeep on this issue. To fix the problem, you have to remove the dash cluster, (not as hard as it sounds), and clean the pins on the cluster that slide into the connector that goes to the rest of the wiring. Light corrosion builds up on the pins, causing the intermittent problem. You may have noticed that when it's acting up, a good smack on the dash will cure it temporarily. I cleaned mine a couple months ago, and haven't seen the problem since. But, it usually acted up more when it was cold outside, so I won't know for sure till about January. So far though, it's been fine. A decent manual will tell you how to remove the cluster. Good luck!
    Nelson
  • Options
    Thanks Nelson, My Ford Ranger bit the dust and of course out of the deal my wife got a new car and I took over her 98 Cherokee. Strange thing is, now shes wondering why NOW I try to fix all the little problems. Thanks, Again. Joe

PS, great site here...
  • Options
    brown21brown21 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 GC that failed inspection because the Check Engine Light is not illuminated when you turn the ignition switch during initial start up. I figure the bulb may possibly be bad. How do you access the cluster of bulbs behind the dash and can you do this without removing the dash to check for a bad bulb?
  • Options
    604doc604doc Member Posts: 182
    Keep me posted on how it works out for you.
  • Options
    thanks, will do.
  • Options
    aznative1980aznative1980 Member Posts: 3
  • Options
    03jgcl03jgcl Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 jgc larado the check engine light will come on and sometimes go right back off. Sometimes when it comes on the jeep will kinda stall. When I let off the gas sometimes it will cut out, but always starts right back on the first try. Could this be the throttle position sensor?
  • Options
    mattstammymattstammy Member Posts: 2
    Well anyone have any ideas?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Have a look at Edmunds.com - Maintenance Popup.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    bsrhoadbsrhoad Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone resolved this problem? Reason I am asking is I'm also experiencing the same symptoms with my 2005 Jeep GC Limited 4.7L . It has happened at least 4 times now, always at night or in low light conditions where the automatic headlights are on.

The first couple of times it happened, all of the instrument lights flashed on and then off. They weren't on for any longer than a second. Then, this past weekend, during a major rainstorm, all intrument lights flashed on then off, and then I lost all electrical power inside the vehicle. This repeated itself a dozen times or so, then power inside the vehicle was restored and all the instrument lights except for the check engine light (the one shaped like an engine) went back off. It stayed on for atleast 5 minutes.

It happened again the next day while driving through a small tunnel (when the automatic head lights came on). During all 4 incidents, the vehicle always drove fine, with no loss of power/perfomance. I just made an appoitment to take it in to the dealer to have it checked out, but wanted to check and see if anyone else has had the same problem, and if so, what the solution was. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    acyracyr Member Posts: 3
    Wow - I don't know if this will help in your particular case, but this is based on someone else's reply to me about an ignition switch that could possibly be going bad and causing my problems.

When I drive now, I only have the one key in the ignition... nothing else dangling on a key chain. I thought that maybe the weight of my keys on the chain was causing the switch to come loose or something. Believe it or not, so far this seems to have solved my problem. Once I removed the keychain and house key, there was nothing swinging or dangling from the (loose?) iginition switch, and I have not had the problem since.

I too only seemed to have this happen when the lights were in automatic mode. I wonder if it is a combination of a loose switch, being in automatic mode, and everything being fully power in this vehicle... I too called the dealership when I first bought it (used), and they were all too eager for me to come in. I was told it could be variety of things, and this place has a reputation for being expensive. So I contacted another place, one that has a very good reputation in town. They were not as eager to spend my money because they hadn't heard of this problem before and I didn't have enough info to go on. But they told me to keep track of when it happens and under what conditions I am driving in, etc.

But since taking my other stuff off the keychain so there is no weight swinging from it, I haven't had a recurrence.

Good luck! I would be interested to hear how you make out!
  • Options
    tehuggtehugg Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    tehuggtehugg Member Posts: 2
    I've read the other forum on ignition key problems, mine seems different. My 2003 GC engine will turn over but the gauges are flat and I get an ignition key light on the dash. Changed the ignition switch,swapped keys, disconnected battery, did'nt do any good, any ideas before I have this towed to the dealer?
  • Options
    ocjeepguyocjeepguy Member Posts: 3
    I had a simlar problem. Take both connectors off the battery. Clean them and the battery terminals with a wire battery brush until they're all shiny. Replace, tighten and use battery grease if you'd like. This fixed all sorts of strange intermittent starts, dash instruments flashing, clicking sounds under the dash... etc etc etc.
  • Options
    acyracyr Member Posts: 3
  • Options
    acyr & ocjeepguy,

Thanks for the replies and advice. I'm taking my GC to the dealer to be serviced tomorrow. It's still under bumper-to-bumper warranty, so I will go ahead and let them take a look at it. If they can't find/fix the problem, I will try your advice with the key and cleaning battery terminals.

I will let you know what I find out...
  • Options
    mpzanottompzanotto Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone, recently the check engine light came up on my 2000 Grand Cherokee, it has 100 k miles and with the light the fan that cools of the radiator does not work anymore. A mechanic told me it's a computer that might have a problem and is very expensive.
    Any ideas? Since I bought this car recently I woul appreciate some opinions. Thanx for your time.

Regards.
    Mauricio
  • Options
    tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    turn on ac does fan come on?
    if not try to hot wire fan to see if fan motor if fan works then fan relay could be bad
    take to auto zone and have them read codes from computer should tell you what to look for buy the numbers that you get on the code reader
  • Options
    try new gas cap first
    should not have to change plugs with only 33000 miles on them have 100000 on mine and just thinking about changing them
  • Options
    teeaychteeaych Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a used 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (4L engine) with 42K miles. Everything seems to work fine so far except for the ambient temperature reading on the overhead console. It seems to be stuck on one temperature and won't move. For instance, it says it's 76 degrees on a day when I know it's over 90. What could be the problem and a potential fix. I know this is minor, but it bugs the #%%&^% out of me. I'd like to have it work correctly. Thanks
  • Options
    teeaychteeaych Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    jeeps2jeeps2 Member Posts: 45
    Just a thought, check the ambient temperature sensor. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    dkwalters128dkwalters128 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I have this problem also- in addition to a 'no bu5' message I get on the odometer. Would the same fix apply? It is driving me crazy!! Thanks for any advice!
  • Options
    dkwalters128dkwalters128 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, is the fix o remove and clean the cluster? I get the no bu5 or no bus message and the guages all fail. If I give the dashboard a good whack, it fixes itself temporarily! Thanks in advance for guidance!!
  • Options
    blackbird79blackbird79 Member Posts: 4
  • Options
    wildkat1wildkat1 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    wildkat1wildkat1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Jeep Grand cherokee limited. My fuel gauge stays at the full line all the time and the computer reads there is between 285 and 305 miles to empty. The needle does go to empty when I shut the jeep off. What would cause this and/or what can I do to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    aspageaspage Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, have had no problems with it until recently. Intermittently the gauges and dash lights will not work, become "stuck" and lights will stay on, then they will all go out and gauges will work. Also engine dies sometimes (never has done this until I started having gauge problems). Dealer said it was PCM, had it replaced, did same thing next day, then they say it was body control module also. Fixed that, nearly $2,000 later it still does the same thing. Any solutions ?
  • Options
    try new ingnition switch sounds as if have bad contacs in switch
  • Options
    lauralou1lauralou1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi there I am in Florida and own a 99 JGC Limited. I bought my car used @ 63,000 miles, it now has 83,000miles on it. This last 3 months have been a nightmare.. I NEED HELP...
    It started out that my car would die (while driving 40 mph, at stop lights, etc), and start back up, and I was able to get home from work.. Well now the car won't run for more than 10 minutes, dash gauges die, will crank over but not start and the sentry key light on dash stays on.. I had it to the dealership to a friend that has been working on car for 15+ years (he could not get the car to duplicate problem, computer read clean also), and he took an educated guess and changed the crank sensor.. Worked for about a week.. Now the car is useless.. I don't want to drive it..
    I need help, I have read so many different fixes, and people spending $2,000+ and car still is not fixed.. If you have good information please help me.. I can't afford to sink thousands into this car.. It won't run more than 10 minutes now, and takes about 2 hours before it will start again.. I AM DESPERATE... :o(
  • Options
    how many things on your key chain remove all the other stuff and try and seen if happens again
    lots of stuff on key chain can upset the sentry computer just try just the key for a while
  • Options
    OK, here is the deal I have taken everything off my keychain now.. But for the last week absolutely could not drive.. After 10 minutes stalls out for at least 1 to 2 hours before restart.. Had a friend at dodge look at it, finally it stalled up there, he said it is the pcm module.. $500, so I just got it back this morning.. Will update later, am about to go and drive around for a while to see if this is really the fix.. Wish me luck.. :O)
  • Options
    good luck
  • Options
    So far so good.. thanks goodness.. Now I am going to sell it and get something with 10 -15K on it..
  • Options
    Just wanted to give an update. After taking my 2005 Jeep GC to the dealer twice now, it seems like the problem has been fixed (knock on wood). The first time I took it, they thought they fixed it by following a service bulletin which involved flashing the computer's ROM. This didn't solve the problem, so I took it back the next week. This time, they replaced the ignition switch. That was several weeks ago, and so far we haven't had any more problems.
  • Options
    cherieanncherieann Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I've got a 1998 Cherokee and recently the night time illuminaton on the dash went out....so we changed the fuse. Apparently that was not the problem. I have no dash lights at night, only icons light up but the dash is otherwise pitch dark. Everything else seems to be running smoothly, no other glitches...just can't see.
    My husband is over seas and I'm loathe to take it to a mechanic and have them take advantage as I know they do....so any help/advice would be much appreciated.

• Options
    xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    It may also be the ground, it's just as important as the hot wire in making the lights work. If you don't mind reading, you may want to go over to your local auto parts store and buy a manual (@$15.00) for your 98 Cherokee. They usually list steps you can take to diagnose the problem yourself, and even if you don't want to try that you will at least be a little more street smart when you are talking to the guy at the shop.
  • Options
    mmeyer1mmeyer1 Member Posts: 2
    HELP!!! I just spent every penny I had to purchase this 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. After a week of owning it I noticed when I signaled a left turn, the flasher was "FAST", just a left turn, not a right. I finally got around to checking all the lights and noticed that almost all of the front bulbs were burned-out. Yesterday I replaced them and thought I was "good to go". Then I had someone apply the brakes and noticed that the "third" brake light (located on the top of the window) wasn't working. I took everything apart and there weren't any bulbs. I bought new bulbs and when I installed them, they all were lit; this is with the truck NOT running, no lights on. I also noticed that the information center is now telling me that the rear bulbs have failed. When I turn on the lights the "regular" brake lights come on but when I step on the breaks they are suppose to get "brighter". I replaced the bulbs and no luck. I checked all the fuses and everything seems fine. There was a U-Haul light system hooked-up and I assumed that was causing the problem so I removed it, still the 3 rd brake light is constantly on and brake lights only work in the "normal" mode, not the "brighter" mood when I step on the brake pedal. I was guessing it was a brake light switch problem but why wouldn't the brake lights be on "brighter" rather than "normal" ; also why would the 3rd brake light continue to light when the truck is shut-off. I've spent close to $30 on replacement bulbs and honestly don't have the money to have this looked at. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you, Mark
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We regard posting the same message in several topics to be spamming - please refrain!

In the meantime, see the reply to your original message: mmeyer1, "Jeep Grand Cherokee Electrical Problems" #245, 21 Oct 2007 3:34 pm

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    shootshoot Member Posts: 4
    Where did you purchase this jeep? I had a Jeep Grand cherokee with about 33k miles (white trim, 4 wheel drive, Hemi)that Chrysler bought back on June 27, 2007 because the check engine light would continue to stay on after one year of trying to fix it - if it is the same one I would return it asap and have Chrysler refund you the cost :lemon:
  • Options
    neil61neil61 Member Posts: 1
    My 1996 JGC, the fuel gauge suddenly goes to empty while driving and within a few seconds goes back to normal again.????
  • Options
    wesbuck4wesbuck4 Member Posts: 7
    I know that this is got to be the silliest question out there, but I cannot find the turn signal flasher relay on my 2001 Jeep Cherokee. The Haynes manual says that it's in the right front control panel...not there, not under the hood either. Unless I am completely blind, I didn't see it under the steering column either. Can someone help me out and tell me its location, because I'm either a moron or plain blind. Thanks.
  • Options
    it is a combination flasher looks like a relay top of panal second from right at the very top of panai
  • Options
    spikesnetspikesnet Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I need help trouble shooting a problem with my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. The driver side brake light is acting up, when the headlights are off the brake light looks dimmed and when the headlights are on the brake light doesn't work at all, but the tail light (I think they are the same bulb) does come on when the brake isn't being applied.

I tried replacing the light bulb but that didn't fix it. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?
  • Options
    emerlingemerling Member Posts: 12
    I've been seeing symptoms similar to others in this thread - occasional buzzing under the dash (sounds like a "short circuit" when it happens). Other times the airbag light comes on, and the speedometer and tachometer go dead. The Jeep ran fine, though. Now I am having troubles that act like the ignition switch - turn the key and the dash lights are dead, no seat belt buzzer, no starter. Switched it on and off a few times, it finally started up and ran like normal. The time on the radio had reset to 12:00 - almost like the battery was disconnected (bad ground or hot wire connection maybe). It got me to the airport, was parked there for 2 days, when I got back to the airport:
    I turned the key once and it acted dead.
    Next time I turned the key it acted normal, dash lights, starter cranks, but no start. Tried a bunch of times and starter cranks fine, but no start.
    What would you try first - ignition switch ? It's got 126,000 miles on the 4L.
  • Options
    emerlingemerling Member Posts: 12
    I had similar troubles with a Dodge Intrepid and found that the ground wire had rotted out - it was not easy to find, but it happened where the wires pass through the back wall of the trunk to get out to the tail light assembly. If you have an electrically-inclined friend, ask for help.
    By the way, it's just one of the brake lights acting up, right ?
  • Options
    that is what i would try first
  • Options
    skooter1skooter1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1997 jeep cherokee, and it has dummy lights for the oil,water temp,alt. I am wondering if I can swap a cluster pannel in it that has gauges instead of dummy lights.
  • Options
    will have to change all sending units on engine
    would be better off to install three gage set witch comes with all the mounting stuf