Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Santa Fe 2007+

Comments

• Options
    jcspohrjcspohr Member Posts: 97
    Your statements are inaccurate. Hyundai quality has been high for many years. Hyundai fixed it's quality issues back in the mid 90's.

I own a 2001 Elantra with 105k and it has been a completely problem free vehicle. I know many other Hyundai owners with other older Hyundai models and they have the same experience as me.

I bought the 07 SF in August and it has been problem free. I have owned many other brands of cars including Hondas and Toyota's, they were NOT problem free. I looked at the RAV4 and CRV and they don't compare in price or quality IMHO.

JCS
  • Options
    carfreak8carfreak8 Member Posts: 58
    Whatever,
    Hyundai cars have NEVER been at the top of any list of reputable quality studies. Hyundai is just starting to higher there quality to make there name appear at higher levels in the studies. Your 2001 Elantra may be nice now, but it is worth barely anything. Hyundai cars are still known for cheap cars. That is going to take more than two years to improve. Nobody knows how these new generation cars will be in 5,10,15 years, that is the disadvantage. Honda and Toyota have proved themselves since the 1970's that there cars are great. It takes a long time to have the trust of consumers that there cars are of good quality and LONG term dependability, to have them pay more than the next car for apples to apples in year and features. Honda and toyota have done that and look at there resale values. As for your statement about quality in the Santa Fe compared with the CR-V and RAV4, that is a bunch of nothing. Look around your Santa Fe and notice all the hard plastics, its like your at a toy factory. also take a look at the fake wood, and the cheap leather. And then go look at the competitors from ToyHon and you will notice all the nice QUALITY leathers and QUALITY plastics. You will also NOT see something, it is called FAKE wood. ToyHon was smart enough in the cars to not make the mistake and put cheap FAKE wood and put nice trim in.

But in the end I don't really care because I know what is better and how much more I will get when I sell it, out of my 2007 CR-V EX-L AWD w/Navigation than your Hyundai.
  • Options
    sirvagabondsirvagabond Member Posts: 51
    Dude, loosen your screws man. No one's saying that Hyundai's are so much better than Honda's or Toyotas. Just making a point that the reputability is making leaps and bounds from their inception. Unknowingly you made that exact point with your opening statement...

"Hyundai is just starting to higher there quality to make there name appear at higher levels in the studies"

Ummmmm, isn't that how you make it on the list for quality? And that isn't exactly true either, hundai's have been upping their OWN quality since the mid 90's, significantly. Long term dependability is something only time will tell, but there is no doubt that Hyundai is becoming what toyota used to be. Affordable, dependable cars. Everything else comes down to personal preference. I personally am estatic with my fake wood trim and hard plastics. Its comfortable and aesthetically pleasing as hell. And I saved thousands... yes THOUSANDS on options that no other dealer had the gaul to offer. Even toyota and Honda with their stable reputation couldn't match the warranty. "We don't need to give that warranty, cause our cars don't need it"... whatever. Bang for the buck, the SF wins. And like a previous poster said, No car is maintanence free. Take care of it, and it'll do the same for you.

Happy driving in your Rav.
  • Options
    blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    I may buy a Hyundai (Santa Fe?) for my next new car. Quite frankly Honda and Toyota aren't living up to the bulletproof reputation they earned in the 80's & early 90's.

I've owned 3 Hondas in the past 5 years & two had major mechanical failures before 100k miles.

- 2003 Accord (transmission at 40k, blown rear struts, bad tie rod ends, numerous creaks) traded in 2006.
    - 2000 Odyssey transmission failures at 93k & 110k.
    - 2006 Odyssey unrepairable droning noise seeking lemon law.

3 times and they should be done, however, they still have some of the best cars on the road. Also, they usually stand behind their product & repair the problems even after the warranty ends.

I think Hyundai is raising the bar & will surpass Honda Toyota because they are asleep at the switch.
  • Options
    I personally am estatic with my fake wood trim and hard plastics.

I personally am estatic that I will NOT be looking at fake wood trim and cheap hard plastics that I could find at Toys R Us.

Hyundai is becoming what toyota used to be. Affordable, dependable cars.

But wait, Hyundai is missing something, it is called Toyotas GREAT resale value. and we also do NOT know their cars LONG TERM dependability.

You are also WRONG about Hyundai making good cars in the 90's. They are just starting to compete and make fairly good cars.

Even toyota and Honda with their stable reputation couldn't match the warranty.

The only reason Hyundai has that warranty is because WAY fewer people would buy the cars if it was not for the warrenty. Also, Hyundai has had that warrenty for a LONG time and they were very bad cars back when they were offering the same type of warrenty in the late 80's and 90's.

Bang for the buck, the SF wins.

Well, if you put in resale value, the Santa Fe loses. Over time, throughout the vehicles life, it loses.

Happy driving in your Rav

Maybe you should have read my post better, because I don't have a RAV4, I have a 2007 Honda CR-V EX-L 4WD w/ Navigation (which NO vehicles in Hyundai's line-up offers).
  • Options
    Resale, resale resale. Important to some, and to others. The second you drive that car, ANY car of the lot it depreciates significantly, and only continues too. EVERY car but a classic does the same thing. The ONLY places resale makes a inkling of difference is in trade ins and private sells. I can live with that. Resale, peanuts.

"Making good cars since the 90's... " no, I never said that. I said IMPROVING their own cars since the 90's. That 10 years of constant improvement. and I see more an more hyundais on the road now, then 4 years ago. That says something.

"The only reason Hyundai has that warranty is because WAY fewer people would buy the cars if it was not for the warrenty."
    - So this is a bad, how? It's a fantastic warranty. They stand by it.

Sorry, my bad. CR-V. Which I can't say anything bad about, really. Prolly a fantastic car. Glad your as happy with it as I am with my SF.
  • Options
    supawingsupawing Member Posts: 7
    It's very interesting how much people feel they need to defend their Honda/Toyota purchases. They are great cars, have great reputations. They have had issues in recent years, doesn't mean they are junk but it means they aren't the invincible force they once were. I have a 2007 Santa Fe and am extremely happy with it, my expectations are they will just keep getting better. They want to compete and be a highly regarded brand. As far as resale value goes, only time will tell, not someone who thinks they can predict the future. I tend to keep vehicles a long time so resale value is a relative thing.
    Since fine leathers and wood trim are so important, buy a Lexus
  • Options
    piastpiast Member Posts: 269
    I can see only two problems with CRV. One, (I now it is personal) the new redesign will not win any beauty contests, and two, it is behind competition in performance numbers (check Dec MT issue.) Yes, it may be worth 1-2 K more after say 5 or 7 years, but you will pay about that more when new.
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    You should do some research before you post next time.

Hyundai has garnered high praises in the quality department - check reputable sources such as JD Power or Consumer Reports.

And as for the warranty point, no, Hyundai has not had the current warranty for a long time. Hyundai only started the 10/100 in the late 90s (98 I believe). And, as an indication Hyundai cars are getting better and better - warranty costs have decreased by half since the start of the new warranty.

Many can certainly make the case they are on par with the rest of the class.

I have driven every new SUV in the small-to-mid class, and I have to say the Santa Fe is one well-built machine. I especially like the interior, very easy on the eyes - something I cannot say for others. ;)
  • Options
    sorry, I may have been misinformed. I was told by a Hyundai salesman (who worked for them since the 80's. She said that "while all these other brands have lowered their warrenty, Hyundai has kept the same warrenty since the beginning in the 80's". That was what i was told by her. I thought someone who worked their so long would know better (funny though, she didn't even drive a Hyundai, she drove a Oldsmobile Bravada). Sorry again just a stupid salesman misgiving of information.

Also, as I said, Hyundai is JUST starting to be near and at tops of lists. I still don't trust them.
  • Options
    Sorry, my bad. CR-V. Which I can't say anything bad about, really. Prolly a fantastic car. Glad your as happy with it as I am with my SF.

Agreed, and Hope Hyundai keeps on this road even if it does not sound like it. I just don't like people trying to make Hyundai's sound better than Honda and Toyota, they still have a bit to go.

I also hope you are happy with your Santa Fe.
  • Options
    No problem. Always glad to help!!

It should be noted Hyundais are not as bad as some people make them out to be (just perceptions played out), they are actually pretty good :) Hyundai is very much on par, if not better, with rest of the class.
  • Options
    scion1969scion1969 Member Posts: 3
    I just got back after spending the day driving and evaluating small SUVs, and I have to say I came away overly impressed with the Santa Fe Limited.

My heart has been set on the new Rav-4 since it debuted the new body style. I didn't think anything would dissuade me from the Rav. I love the looks and it has a great engine. So I began with the RAV, and I was really disappointed. I'm 5'10" and I felt cramped in the drivers seat. My legs were not stretched out to where I'd be comfortable for a long road trip. I have 3 kids and the back seat was entirely inadequate, as the 'middle' seat was hard, no cushion to it. The available 3rd bench is WORTHLESS. Disappointed, I went to Honda.

Not a CRV fan, but the car has been getting rave reviews, so what the heck. I'm not sure what Honda was thinking, but I HATE the looks of the CRV. It reminds me of a turtle from the front. Just a bizarre shape, not sporty. Looks like someone squashed a minivan. I do not like the rear extended tail lights at all. The interior was better suited to my family than the RAV 4 but I wasn't thrilled with the lack of a V6 engine option. I'm not spending 25k on a car with that many negatives.

Hyundai was next. I really like the styling of the new SF. Looks like a RAV 4 from front and a Lexus SUV in back. I test drove the Limited with Touring option and all the works. I am a Honda/Toyota guy and I'm admittedly biased from Hyundai's early years in the States. I am a member of JD Power and Associates and kept reading about how Hyundai's reliability and quality has been rapidly improving. Well after pricing the SF I believe it. The ride was quiet, even on the freeway at high speeds. Acceleration was excellent, with no slowdown on steep grades. I spun the car in a circle in the parking lot and the turn radius was tight and excellent. And best of all, the 3rd row bench had plenty of room for my two sons. My wife commented on how comfortable the 2nd row ride was.

Overall we were both more than happy with the SF, and it shot to the top of our list of next vehicles. Best of all, the salesman told me to wait about two weeks, because they could offer me the vehicle at a much better price, as end of the year incentives were kicking in. Never EVER thought I'd own a Hyundai, but after reading rave reviews from owners and professionals, as well as marks for high quality, I've been won over. Can't wait to take a trip to the coast in my new SF! :)
  • Options
    Looks like a RAV 4 from front and a Lexus SUV in back.
    Actually it looks almost exactly like the volkswagen Touareg. It couldn't possibly look like a lexus RX350, just look at the nasty tail lights on it (SF is better).
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I've owned a quite a number of different new cars since 1968, and started driving Hondas and Toyotas in the early 70s. Our local Honda dealer was the fist Honda automobile dealer east of the Mississippi. I've also owned BMW, M-B, SAAB, Volvo, Nissan, and Mazda, so I've developed a keen eye for build-quality and overall QC over the years.

After scrutinizing and driving Hondas, Toyotas, and Hyundais head-to-head last December, I bought my first Hyundai. This is the first vehicle, bar none, that out-of-the-box was perfect, and still is. Plus, the selling dealer was absolutely wonderful. This Hyundai will not be my last, in fact, I'm looking at buying another new one for my wife as a Christmas gift.

Hondas and Toyotas build great products, but Hyundai is also a fine product as well. If you really compare objectively, without any preconceived notions or prejudices, you will find that Hyundai products will hold their own with the best from Japan.
  • Options
    Hyundai has garnered high praises in the quality department - check reputable sources such as JD Power or Consumer Reports.

Sorry to break this to you, but your statement about Consumer Reports, is NOT who you, if defending Hyundai, should recommend. Out of the five cars they have reliability ratings for (the reason for the absence of models is because many newly redesigned models) they are not too good.

TERRIBLE: hyundai Tucson; Kia Sportage
    BELOW AVERAGE: Kia Sorento
    AVERAGE: Hyundai Tiburon
    ABOVE AVERAGE: Kia Amanti
    EXCELLENT: None

That is NOT going to change what I have stated, so, make sure you check your sources first, because you could turn away a perspective buyer. And trust me, I definatly do my research.

I especially like the interior, very easy on the eyes - something I cannot say for others.

The interior is quite cheap if you look at it at a competitive stand point. Many hard plastics (Toys R Us) and still no option of a navigation system. I doubt they will have one ready by the spring and even if they did, I would not trust it.

So, in the end, just don't recommend Consumer Reports if you want to give a positive impression of hyundai.
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    TERRIBLE: hyundai Tucson; Kia Sportage
    BELOW AVERAGE: Kia Sorento
    AVERAGE: Hyundai Tiburon
    ABOVE AVERAGE: Kia Amanti
    EXCELLENT: None

Here's the latest info direct from CR's web site;

2006-2007 ratings(Latest Rankings from CR's Website)

Tucson Above average CR recommended
    Sonata Above average CR recommended
    Azera Above average CR recommended
    Entourage Above average CR recommended
    Tiburon Insufficient Data
    New Elantra Insufficient Data
    Old Elantra Above average
    New Santa Fe NSF Data
    Old Santa Fe Above average (was once a recommended pick)
    New Accent NSF Data
    Old Accent Below average to above depending on model year

Sportage Shaky but greatly improved over 2005
    Sorento Average CR recommended
    Sedona Above average CR recommended
    Amanti Average CR recommended
    Optima NSF Data
    Rio NSF Data
    Spectra Average
    Rondo NSF Data

Which year did you get your data from? :confuse:
  • Options
    scion1969scion1969 Member Posts: 3
    In my glowing review I forgot to mention the one thing that bugged me about the Santa Fe. No MP3 audio jack.

Sure the Santa Fe audio system will play MP3 off the CD, but I'd much rather use my own MP3 storage device with 80 gigs of music than load 6 CDs into the dash.

Minor quibble but something Hyundai should incorporate into their 2008 models as the competition already has this feature.
  • Options
    beebee13beebee13 Member Posts: 38
    We've test driven the new CRV,Ridgeline, RAV, and Sante Fe...we liked the CRV but was surprised at the hard plastic, no power seat available. Ridgeline (I would love to get a little truck) was very nice, but the center console,seats, and inner edges of the moonroof were wet because the moonroof had leaked! very disappointed in that. RAV drove well, and I especially liked being able to lower the back seats with the levers on the side of the cargo area. The Sante Fe was extremely nice and drove well. the Tuscan would be the perfect size but no power seat and the interior quality was different than the Sante Fe. we went to the L.A. auto show for one last look around. It was nice having all the cars to compare in one spot! narrowed it down to RAV or Sante Fe, but not sure about service departments of both. How do I find out about this? What DOES happen if you buy a new car and the moonroof leaks? Who pays for the fix and cleanup? Thanks for this site..very informational. :shades:
  • Options
    Which year did you get your data from?

I got my information from the Consumer Reports "Best Buys For 2007 Buying Guide". I listed what they had reliability information for, and that is what it said.

That is "Reviews of The 2006-07 Models"

The reason for the unknown information is all the newly redesigned models. Hopefully as all the models are redesigned, quality, resale, and reliability increases because what those models with information show is unacceptable.
  • Options
    we liked the CRV but was surprised at the hard plastic

Whatever the CR-V has, the Santa Fe is 10 times worse. If you don't like the plastic in the CR-V, then I don't see how you could like santa Fe. The Santa Fe's plastics are hard, not soft.

As for the Ridgeline leaking, I would not doubt the the last person that opened the sunroof and the closed it, did not close it properly. When the sunroof closes, at the very end of the closing, the back of the glass, goes up. That person may have took there hand off of the button, because they thought it was closed, and it wasn't. I have almost done that on my car but, but luckily, upon exiting I saw the sunroof was not level with the rest of the car and I fixed it.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Don't bother trying to convince others, such as carfreak8, about the quality of Hyundai. They will never change their opinion, as they basically truly dislike the brand, regardless of Hyundai's level of quality. Hyundai could have the best quality and resale value, and it wouldn't change a thing. They simply can't get over the Hyundai name, and the image it projects. Their loss is our, and others, gain.

Generally, those seriously bashing Hyundai on this forum, and others, are Honda or Toyota owners - or, their respective dealers' sales staff. There is significant anecdotal evidence of this. Why, perhaps they see Hyundai as some serious competition?? Toyota's Chairman certainly does - he considers Hyundai their most significant concern now, and in the future.
  • Options
    I do not hate Hyundai, I just do not like people trying to say that that the pretty much got a Honda or Toyota for less money. Hyundai still has a ways to go to get to the levels of Honda or Toyota.

I myself am just a little mad at Hyundai, because have you seen a few of there new cars. The Entourage/Sedona looks exactly like a Odyssey, except for the tail lights. Also the Sonata looks the same as the 03-05 Accord in the back end. Also, the Azera, if you look at the side view, it has the same stretched looked as the Avalon. I just think if Hyundai is serious, they could have been a little more original with their designs.

And of course Other manufacturers are worried, there are people like many of the people on this forum that think they are getting a Honda or Toyota at a lower cost. There is still a gap that I do have NO doubt they will fill. Now though, Hyundai is moving fast and taking a few perspective buyers of Honda's or Toyota's with them. For now though, Toyota nor Honda are really being hurt by Hyundai.
  • Options
    jcspohrjcspohr Member Posts: 97
    Yata, Yata, Yata.... it's just YOUR OPINION.

Have you ever owned a Hyundai?

I own two Hyundai's and I have owned at least two of the following: every American brand, Honda, Toyota, Porsche (including a Turbo), and one Nissan.

I think my experience and that of others who have actually owned the vehicles they offer opinions about trumps YOUR OPINION and all the reviews you offer as support.

I admit that I do pay attention to JD Powers and Consumer reports but they are just ONE of many factors that goes into my buy decision. There have been many times that I bought items that were CR recommended that were very pleasing and some that were junk. In 1997 I bought the new Chevy Malibu, (Motor Trend Car of the Year) and it turned out to be one of the biggest piles of dung I ever owned.

Resale value - do the math! I have and keep coming out ahead (based on my usage and the length of time I keep a vehicle).

Bottom-line: your opinions are exactly that... just YOUR OPINION.

Enjoy your overpriced Honda, unless of course you got the Honda employee discount. ;)

JCS
  • Options
    What i have said is not just my opinion. It is a combination of Car and Driver, Motor Trend, JD Power, Intellichoice, CONSUMER Reviews, Consumer Reports, and Newspaper reviews. I have not owned a Hyundai, but I have test driven MANY cars of MANY different brands. I know what is good and what is NOT. Hyundai is NOT bad, they are just not quite as good as Honda or Toyota.

As for resale value, it is slowly improving, now if you go to intellichoice.com, it shows the five year cost a bit over 1K below competitors. It still is not at the levels of ToyHon. Another thing that bugs me about Hyundai is the Bad image, that they have about quality, (I know it is improving)but I would not want that image.

As for my "overpriced Honda", I got a GREAT deal considering I ordered it, before the Navigation models were out. Also I do NOT and would NOT work for Honda!

Now that I have everything off my back, I think I am done posting here, because, every two seconds there is reply and I am getting bored with the subject. I know what I like and all you know what you like.

this is MY OPINION, but enjoy your new vehicles, I DO hope hope you like them!

Back to the CR-V forum!
  • Options
    7honda7honda Member Posts: 2
    Since I'm here to actually get some information rather than start an argument, I'm looking to those of you who have some experience with Hyundais. I've have 2 CRVs and the oldest has around 230k miles. My wife likes/wants an 07 to replace this old one and I'm sort of interested in the Santa Fe. I pretty much know what the CRVs have and what to expect. The Santa Fe looks pretty nice on paper but is gas mileage really as bad as they say? Is the power significantly/noticeably greater in the Santa Fe? How useful is the 3rd seat option? Anyone who can give me some information (ammunition?); it would be appreciated and helpful :)
  • Options
    I got my information from the Consumer Reports "Best Buys For 2007 Buying Guide". I listed what they had reliability information for, and that is what it said

That explains the discrepancy between what you posted and my post(#1615). I also have that guide and even though it is a 2007 buying guide, the reliability info and ratings covers only up through 2005 models (pgs 196-224). My info came directly from the CR website and includes the updated ratings that include the latest survey info and the results on the 2006 models. While your info is valid on its face, it is not the latest. ;)
  • Options
    Whatever the CR-V has, the Santa Fe is 10 times worse. If you don't like the plastic in the CR-V, then I don't see how you could like santa Fe. The Santa Fe's plastics are hard, not soft.

Sounds like you've already become a CR-V loyalist ;)

I am neither an owner of the CR-V or the Santa Fe, but I can tell you the interior quality of the Santa Fe far exceed that of the CR-V. I don't know about you but I've examined both SUVs closely on many occasions and came away finding the Santa Fe more satisfying. As for the plastic issue, I am no expert, but you are exaggerating quite a bit - go feel both models back to back and find out for yourself...
  • Options
    Santa Fe:

Power - the 3.3L V6 Santa Fe provides some 60 more horsepower than the outgoing version, additional torque as well.

Even with the power upgrade, fuel economy is very generous, I believe the loaded version runs at an estimate 19/24 (EPA) split between city and highway, real-life mpg achieves/exceed the figures from the EPA.

3rd row can seat adults comfortably, I sat back there a few times and I am 6'3". Of course not as comfortable as the first two rows but it does its job. If the third row is used constant, then I would suggest a full-size SUV or a van, the third row of the Santa is very similar to other mid-size SUV/CUV in the class.

Take a test drive and see how you and your wife feel about the car. Good luck!!
  • Options
    "The Entourage/Sedona looks exactly like a Odyssey, except for the tail lights."

Now there is the first time I heard this comparison. I don't see anything even close to a replica, they (E&S/O) are both fairly unique - I am pretty sure many would agree.

"the Sonata looks the same as the 03-05 Accord in the back end"

That would be impossible, considering the design for the Sonata froze long before the Accord came out.

"the Azera, if you look at the side view, it has the same stretched looked as the Avalon"

Now you are just stretching it... ;)

Here is a copy:

The Hyundai Santa Fe (left) and Huanghai Automobile’s SUV
  • Options
    lulu585lulu585 Member Posts: 23
    My husband has a 2000 Jaguar Supercharged XJR---has 68,000 miles on it. This is an $80,000 (we did not buy it new!!!) car brand new. We can now get about $15,000 if we sell it or maybe $13,000 if we trade it in. Now you tell me about resale value! I don't know what everyone says about fake wood trim looking cheesy in the Santa Fe--his Jaguar has wood trim--do you think it's real? I don't think so!!! The black leather in my Santa Fe looks just as nice as his--ok his seats are more comfortable--but for at least $50,000 more you think they would, right?

And about all the hard plastic? We test drove the CRV and that was what we did not like about it. It's a nice vehicle and has a sportiness about it, but it does not feel like a luxury car like the Santa Fe does. Everyone buys cars they like and we shouldn't beat up eachothers choices. We should inform others if we have experienced proplems to alert them on what they might be getting into. Case in point, 2005 and older Volksagon Toureg--was going to purchase one used until I read from all these great people not to buy one!
  • Options
    pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    As an owner of both here goes: They are both very capable machines. Power goes to the Santa Fe. Luxury goes to the 07 Santa Fe ( AWD 3.3 Limited ). 3rd row for a long ride I give them both low marks for comfort ( 6 foot + adults ).

Mileage is a funny thing. It can vary considerably depending on the type of driving you do. I have to lean toward the Honda on this one. Hey, speed/power burns more fuel. I get around 17 in the city and 25 on the highway with the Santa and I beat on it. Thats not bad. It boils down to looks in my opinion - the Santa justs looks much cooler - Good Luck!
  • Options
    yes they do...

Entourage vs. Odyssey

Sonata vs. Accord

Azera vs. avalon

When I talked about these car similarities, I was talking about exterior. The interiors are WAY better(Azera closest similarities to Avalon, but not-too-close)in the Honda's and Toyota. Although the Hyundai's are still fair (would be better if Hyundai would get the nav in there already).
  • Options
    supawingsupawing Member Posts: 7
    I guess there are 2 side to every story, some are just more accurate than others. I'm interested in why a navigation system is so important than it becomes the reason to buy a car. You could buy a TomTom and have the ability to move it from one car to the other and save serious dollars. A friend of mine has a lexus with the navigatio system and was not overly happy with it.
  • Options
    No I am Not, I have only had a few Honda's and they were/are Awesome though.

I don't know what your talking about because every bit of dashboard and most of the door on the SF was hard plastic. In the CR-V, there was plastic, but it was NOT over almost every bit of door like the SF. The plastic in the CR-V is smooth and good looking (opinion, just like your thought). On the doors, there is padded leather on its arm rests. In the SF, just about everything other than the seats, flooring, and ceiling is Hard plastics. But this is opinion, so obviously you have different thoughts. I think things are good, and you think things are good.

NOW, COULD PEOPLE STOP REPLYING TO MY REPLIES, I am getting tired of having to reply and I am sure you don't like replying to me either. I would like to just go back to agreeing with people in the CR-V forums

Have fun in your NEW vehicles
  • Options
    NOW, COULD PEOPLE STOP REPLYING TO MY REPLIES, I am getting tired of having to reply and I am sure you don't like replying to me either.

I thought that was the purpose of forums and bulletin boards. Without the posting and replies how does anyone learn anything? If it bothers you so much, why do you keep replying to posts that seem to upset you or go counter to your viewpoint? I have my opinion, you have yours. How do we discuss our differences if someone can't reply to you or you can't (or won't) reply to other posters? :confuse:
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    COULD PEOPLE STOP REPLYING TO MY REPLIES

A posting is an invitation to reply! Of course, you are neither obliged to reply nor to reply to replies. :)

See ya in CR-V!

tidester, host
  • Options
    carritocarrito Member Posts: 38
    You can see a very good review of the SF that was on the air today Dec03. This is Canadian program. Only negative point they could find was mpg.
    link title
    I think this is a great looking SUV with lots of standard features and is on my top list ;)

They did mention that the IIHS gave good rates in all categories but I can't find anything in the IIHS site about the 2007 model, do any of you have more info.about this?
  • Options
    beebee13beebee13 Member Posts: 38
    WOW! I received lots of good information....and a possible explantion of why the moonroof leaked in the Ridgeline....but no one answered my question on my What if this DOES happen? Who would be responsible for the costs of the cleanup and repair if it IS a defective moonroof and not something that I might have done. We are making our decision this month as to what car we do get. we just need to see what exactly we NEED as opposed to what we want or would like to have.Gas mileage is a huge factor, and I am having difficulty finding real mileage numbers and not the numbers given by dealerships. Also, where can I get information on dealerships and service department ratings? This will most likely be our last new car purchase because of retirement, and we do keep our cars until they are ready to be sent to the car graveyard.
    thanks again for all your help.
  • Options
    I don't see what you are claiming so to each own :)

On the Sonata, fyi - the design froze before the Accord came out so it would impossible for Hyundai to copy Honda - just a fact...

On the idea of Nav, it is very much a personal preference, not a deal killer for me whether the car has it or not. Personally, I prefer McNally and a highlighter but that's just me. A good time of the year my commute does not require the use of Nav (I have Nav by the way, came free with the car purchase ;) ) I know every road on my route to/from work so there is really no need for NAV. The time I do need maps, I always pre-plan my trip so I don't get lost :) I digress, but in the <30K market, there are only small percentage of buyers add Nav with their car purchase - the main reasons contributing to the small % is due to the price sensitivity, which is a huge factor to consider for many buyers.
  • Options
    masterangelmasterangel Member Posts: 1
    it's me again.

rear.

love hondas and toyotas too. if i had the money, buy the A3. but see... i'm torn. should i go for comfort and safety like the sante fe? do i wanna go environmental with the prius or smart. or do i wanna go fast...

A3 now, dare i say sante fe with family... saving lives first.

respect goes out to nissan with their hybrid altima. sure they are buying tech from toyota. well, that sucks... buying from ur competition. saying to the world toyota does somthing better than men. but! i'm not gonna give up a cent and if i pay u 1000 for ur tech but i steal 3000 by taking a would be camry buyer good for me.

car i'd recommend for my uncle if he was making $50,000/year... sonata.
    60k, santefe.
    100k, x5
    250k, ls hybrid

me... well, i'd save in other areas so i'd go for...
    a3 2 liter w/dsg
    350z
    m3
    s8

grandfather
    sonata,
    grandeur
    es
    e-class (ls too big)

my dream: everyone driving smart-like cars.

i like honda cuz all their cars are low emissions. they don't have big v8 and big trucks.

sorry for the rude earlier comments about karebear etc.
  • Options
    Real world MPG -
    Have owned my FWD Limited SF for a few weeks now and am just reaching over 1k. Breaking the engine in by going between 60-70mph, no more. No hard stops or quick jumps. Most of my commute is freeway driving, but coming from Southern Cal, this don't mean squat. The commute home on the freeway is more stop and go than side streets, sadly enough. I've averaged about 20mpg per tank so far. I expect to get a good 24-25 as it breaks in a bit more.

Leaking moonroof, Who's responsible? Well, on a hyundai the warrantly should cover any damage done pending they find fault in the mechanics of the moonroof itself. I don't know how Toyota would respond though. I would expect not much different. And as mentioned before on previous posts, I believe that warranty satisfaction is 100% dealer specific. Establish a good rapore with a dealer and servicing your auto under warranty should be painless. Good luck, and hope you enjoy whatever you decide on.
  • Options
    sampowerssampowers Member Posts: 30
    Hey, I have driven both vehicles. - I hope you have also. I can give an opinion on the two. The CR-V is a HONDA. Interior looks great. High quality fit and finish. The outside looks like it's smiling for a photo. I have owned a CR-V and I loved it. I had zero problems from that rig. But, I have driven a Hyundai for about 3 days, and IMO it can stand on its own 4 wheels. I was shocked at the quality materials and performance. I love Honda. BUT, I am going to buy a Hyundai.

My suggestion to you (If you have not done so already) is to at least go and see what all the fuss is about BEFORE you are so quick to judge.
  • Options
    sampowerssampowers Member Posts: 30
    Hi! Fellow CR-V owner here! The SF is a well made vehicle. Just got ask for an extended test drive. The 6 cyl does make a big difference. My wife loved the drive and the power compared to my old CR-V. It is a lot heavier, so the ride is nicer. It just feels solid.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention the 3rd row seating of the SF,
    Not much room back there, I'd think it be better for kids or smaller adults on short distances. If your taller, it'll seat yea, albeit a bit uncomfortably. Accessability however is well thought out, with the retractable 2nd row. Also prepping 3rd row seating is so simple it's almost scary. I'm glad I actually got the 3rd row. How this helps.
  • Options
    question for you. when you have the 3rd row of seats in place, how much cargo area you have left? enough to do your weekly groceries?
  • Options
    Hmmm, well. I'd have to say not exactly. Prolly fit up to 3 full grocery bags across, if you don't stack em. About a foot and a half deep X the length of the width of the back. But 3rd row does take a good 75% of the cargo space. The cool thing though is that you can lift each seat independantly as opposed to a 3rd row bench style seat. So leaving one up and one down, would allow more room for cargo.
  • Options
    davesuvdavesuv Member Posts: 149
    Interesting comments on this recent thread. When I'm shopping for a car, safety is my number one concern closely followed by reliability. Safety is very car specific, and can vary from one model to the next within one manufacturers offerings. From everything I've read, the 07 Santa Fe is one of the safest vehicles you can buy in its weight class (I'm surprised Hyundai doesn't stress this more in its advertising). See IIHS results and NHTSA results

Reliability is something that's much harder to assess unless a model has been out for a number of years. For new models such as the 07 Santa Fe, you have to rely on the track record of other recent models made by Hyundai, together with things they are doing specifically to aid reliability in this particular vehicle (California design team, Ann Arbor engineering, Alabama plant quality and automation, etc.). Yes, Hyundai does not have the same long term track record as Toyota or Honda, but I like what I'm hearing and am willing to make that leap of faith, particularly since the Santa Fe comes much closer to the vehicle I was looking for than anything else out there. Also, I tend to hang onto vehicles for a long time and resale is not an issue.

Well, I made my leap and have now owned an 07 Santa Fe AWD Limited for two months now. It has met or surpassed all of my expectations and is my favorite new car purchase so far. I love driving it. Incidentally, I love the look of the fake plastic wood and the plastics that they use in the interior. I also own an 07 Lexus RX350, which has real wood. I don't think it looks much better than the Santa Fe's fake wood (once it's all polished and shiny, it's difficult tell if its real or fake, it only has a better grain pattern). Is the Santa Fe as nice as the Lexus? Of course not, but there's not nearly as much difference as you might expect. I prefer driving the Santa Fe because it has more "personality", both in its looks and in the way it drives. It also gives me the quiet and smooth ride that I expect in a car.
  • Options
    thanks for the links davesuv. good review BTW, keep these kind of comments and you guys will finally convince me to buy it; I'm between the SF AWD and a SX4 suzuki AWD. I know, I know, they are two different animals and today I was checking real mpg on both vehicles thinking that I can save a lot on gas with the suzuki but after doing the math I might only save a couple of hundred dollars a year. Like davesuv, safety is my #1 concern and after reading the crash results the balance is tipping towards the SF. :P
  • Options
    I did test drive both vehicles BEFORE I purchased anything. I found the CR-V to have better trim pieces than the SF. I also found the leather quality in the CR-V to be thick, rich, and classy. The SF was OK, but not as good. I did find that power wise, the SF won hands down. It is not that CR-V is slow, it is just that the SF has WAY more Hp than the CR-V. I also do not like wood trim, fake or real (it looks cheap to me). I like the new interior a lot in the new CR-V (way nicer than its predecessor). Also, long term dependability and resale value is important to me and those both are in question with the new SF. In the end though I found for my specifications, the CR-V was better.

As for the people that say a navigation system is not important, why is it many of you have portable navigation systems? Is it because they are are useful? Yes they are useful. As for the person who said that they know how to get to work, lets say you just go out around and later decide you want to go to a certain place. Well, with the navigation, you can find the place in the navigation and get directions. As for portable nav's, they are OK, but I would not want one on the dash or center console. The build in nav's are GENERALLY more advanced, and intuitive. What Honda offers with their's is a standard back up camera, which works great. They also offer voice activation, which is great so you do not need to take your eyes off the road. If you get lost, you can say "go home" and it will give you directions from right where you are. It also can show you the nearest gas stations, atm's, restaurants, hotels, etc. That is great if you are in an unfamiliar place and need something. I like the navigation so much, and I know so many people that WONT get another car ever again without it. The built in nav's are VERY simple and easy.

P.S. I was not planning on posting in this forum anymore, but people here keep responding and that makes me think of something I have to say.