Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    ctdricectdrice Member Posts: 12
    Hi,
    In the next few months I am going to have to replace the tires on my 2000 EX. Has anyone tried the Yokohama Aegis passenger tires on a CRV? Consumer reports and the tirerack.com both rate them highly for handling and traction (wet and snow) as well as low noise.
  • Options
    mathtypemathtype Member Posts: 33
    fern88 -- I live in L.A. and have just started shopping for a CR-V EX manual. Would you please tell me the dealers at which you were able to get below MSRP quotes. thanks.
  • Options
    fern88fern88 Member Posts: 42
    Hey Mathtype,

The only dealer that actually gave me a price based on Costco pricing which was under MSRP was the Santa Barbara dealer. Once I had that price, I called Norm Reeves in West Covina based on a referral also thru Costco and they were willing to match the price.
  • Options
    wvelezwvelez Member Posts: 16
    Anyone have any noise measurements on the CRV? Also, when is it to be crash-tested?
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    C&D measured 70 dB at 70mph, something like that. About average for the class, I think.

-juice
  • Options
    fasteddie9fasteddie9 Member Posts: 63
    The CR-V is "middle of the night" quiet. For what it costs, Honda did a great job on this one. It may not be a Lexus, but I prefer to have the extra 20g's. IMHO of course.
  • Options
    htowncrvhtowncrv Member Posts: 6
    Hi all again. As of now, i've got 700 miles on my 2002 cr-v. I am planning to take a trip of about 200 miles (~2.5 hours). As per the manual, the break in period is the first 600 miles, but i've heard a lot of talk about being really careful during the first 1000 to 2000 miles (making sure to variate rpms and such). Would it still be ok to take the CR-V on this trip? Any excellent tips would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I'd still NOT use cruise control for a little bit (ie. to vary your speed...do not stay at one constant speed for exteneded periods). Also, I wouldn't rev it too hard just yet. But really, just drive and have a great trip!
  • Options
    CR complained about road noise. I haven't sampled the new one but perhaps it depends on the roads you choose and the noise tolerance of the driver.

-juice
  • Options
    Have they changed the stock tires that they are using on the '02 CRVs or are they the same as in '01. If not (ie. the tires are different), this may account for some of the road noise.
  • Options
    Aren't there two tire options? It may depend on the model tested. I believe the BFG tires are more quiet than the Duelers. Anyone recall what tires were on CR's test vehicle?

-juice
  • Options
    muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    My driver's side armrest is slanting down compared to the passenger. I finally let someone else drive the EX and experienced sitting in the passenger seat - that armrest is much more comfortable being level. Is the armrest an easy fix? - seems as if it would be.
    But the leg room is not much - I'm 6 foot and there really is no way to strecth out both legs. Luckily, the usual passenger is shorter.
    Also, the patterened dash area (a little above the a/c controls running most of the width) - once it gets a scratch, it appears impossible to remove. Has anyone found a way to remove a scratch from that area?
  • Options
    The armrest angle is dependent on the angle of the seatback. The more you lean back the higher the angle of the armrest.
  • Options
    I don't beleive that is true - with both seats at the same angle, the driver's side is noticeably lower (angled down more).
  • Options
    civicwcivicw Member Posts: 135
    Depends on where you are driving. I found it VERY quiet when driving on city streets. But on the freeway, the high level of road noise was annoying (to me).

Being a Honda owner, I've seen that most if not all Honda vehicles have a high degree of road noise. In that respect, I agree 100% with Consumer Reports. Your perception/tolerance may be different.

In any case, I take exception to comments such as "What else do you expect for $20K?" or "Get a Lexus if you want perfection" etc. Suppressing road noise is not rocket science or reserved for luxury cars. Toyota, Subaru and others have figured out how to quiet most of their vehicles with modern noise suppressing technology that doesn't add a lot of weight. I'm sure Honda can do the same thing, but Honda must feel that they are going to sell every vehicle that they make (road noise or not), so why bother?

I'll admit that the 2002 CR-V noise level has improved considerably, though. But not enough for a long time Honda owner (me), who really wants to "graduate" to a compact Honda vehicle that is free of road noise.
  • Options
    rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    Do you have Bridgestone Duelers on your CRV?
  • Options
    There are many different ways that you can improve road noise. For one, I would start with the tires. Check reviews on websites like www.tirerack.com and see what tires people are using and how quiet they find them.

Secondly, you can get sound-proofing kits which usually consist of foam being placed in between the door panels.

Also, you may try some underbody sound deadening material. Not really sure how that is applied, but some people have said that it helps a lot.
  • Options
    I am a long time Honda owner as well civicw, and am very satisfied with this suv. I feel for 20g's you get a great looking, very reliable, quiet, fun, vehicle with high a resale value from Honda-thats it. And thats why you buy one. With Honda thats what you get. Thats the way it has been for years. You should know that. Changing your tires might be the ticket for you-let us know.
    Honda has never gone overboard with many GMish techno gadgets either. You are pressed to even find a glovebox light is some models. We got one in the CR-V, but no coin box light. Thats what I mean about "perfection". Its the little things that are usually left out because of price/or not enough customer requests. That what my dealer told me. If it was perfect there would be no need for a 2003. But that doesn't bother Honda owners. My point about the 20g's is that Honda will satisfy the masses (like they did with the redesign of the new CR-V) but usually will not go overboard. Overboard might be a auto dimming rearview mirror with temp and compass. I can get one but it would have been nice if Honda included one. I won't knit pick the CR-V. I waited 13 years to get a new car, and for my money the CR-V was the way to go. Peace.
  • Options
    I've been using my brother's 2002 CR-V for the last month while he is on an extended assignment out of town. He bought it without test driving on the freeway and shares my opinion about the road noise.

The V came with Bridgestone Dueler tires, which I understand are pretty noisy to begin with. I've read opinions on another site about other tires (Yokohama Avid) which have reduced the noise somewhat, but it's still fairly high.

I'm sure that one could install Dynamat and do other things. But I'd really like to see Honda address this long standing weakness in their vehicles. As I mentioned earlier, I'm hoping to eventually graduate from my Civic to a new compact Honda which does not have noticeable road noise. Should I have any hopes of doing that this decade?:)

fasteddie: I agree with everything you say about the CR-V. I don't need all those bells and whistles either. But suppressing road noise is VERY basic, IMHO.
  • Options
    Honda typically gets the job done with relatively small engines and light weight. That's why their cars are usually quick, efficient, but yes, a bit noisy. CR has the same complaint about the current Accord.

They'd love to sell you on a TL, though.

-juice
  • Options
    Juice, I believe that many Honda owners such as myself buy compact Hondas because they are "smart and fun", to borrow some words that I read on a Honda ad in Japan. Unfortunately, the TL, even though it handles well, is too huge a vehicle to make it "smart and fun" for me.
  • Options
    phillyguy3phillyguy3 Member Posts: 88
    Checking out tires before I take delivery. On tirerack.com, their survey shows Yokohama Avid Touring as highest rated for CR-V. They are not expensive and I may be able to trade out to a friend who manages a tire store. Do you think it's worth it and are the Touring the best bet over the Bridgestone Duellers? I drive mostly suburban and some highway with wet & snow also a factor. Thanks.
  • Options
    Hmm, maybe the Acura version of the Civic (in Canada) would be the car for you, then.

I also prefer small cars, the but TL just squeezes in under my size limit. Prolly more fun to drive than the CR-V.

Varmint? You own both, right? What's the verdict?

-juice
  • Options
    The 1.7 EL, the Acura Civic, is just that; a Civic with some niceties to make it live up to the "Acura" name. Unless you like wood trim, avoid this car. Wood trim is standard.
  • Options
    Isn't there more sound insulation, though? Maybe a cloth-lined padded headliner? These types of upgrades may be hard to notice, but I'm sure they suppress noise.

-juice
  • Options
    Sorry don't know about that. However, that is probably part of the "Acura-izing" process.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Phillyguy - I opted for a set of GY AquaTred 3 tires when I swapped mine out. (I need an all season tire and wasn't going to spend big bucks.) I had the quieter stock tires and have only noted a small decrease in sound. I don't have any personal experience with the Yokohama tires, but the reviews look good enough.

TL vs compact? Depends on your driving style. If it were my choice (not my wife's), I'd go for the newer CL-S with the 5 speed and LSD. It's still bigger than a compact, but not as heavy as the TL. Of course, now were talking $30K+. Another solid choice would be the RSX-S with a professional install of some dynamat.

Sound dampening: Honda vs. others... Honda does not spend a great deal of money or engineering on sound insullation. There are exception, but your average Toyota will be quieter than your average Honda. However, your average Honda will be cheaper and faster. Pick your poison. The only way you're going to get everything in one package is to spend more money.
  • Options
    6 speed, right? With a managed diffy, too. Yummy. Why not on the TL, though?

-juice
  • Options
    I stand corrected. Yes, I meant the six speed.

Why not the TL? Personally, because I don't need the back seat space. I have a CR-V for that. Unless you prefer the TL's styling, the back seat is the only practical reason for picking it over the CL. I figure the lighter weight and slightly smaller dimensions of the CL-S would be preferable to the poster looking for a compact.
  • Options
    Wife needs a back seat, so TL would be on our list. But I see the TL as a sporty sedan, and the CL as a grand tourer, not sport compacts.

If Honda comes out with the Open Air, we'd definitely look at that.

-juice
  • Options
    barnonebarnone Member Posts: 118
    1st gen CR-Vs are annoying to drive at highway speeds when
    the windows are down (due to wind noise)

any feedback on the 2nd gen 'Vs?
  • Options
    I have it on good authority that Honda was very happy with the attention the Open Air received.
  • Options
    I don't know of any vehicle that isn't noisy at highway speeds with the windows down, unless the vehicle has those side wind deflectors.
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Both the TL and CL are grand tourers. Too big and heavy to be considered sports sedan/coupe.
  • Options
    varmit - do you think Honda will produce this in the next couple of years? Competition among suv's is becoming very fierce!
  • Options
    Open Air was almost unanimously loved in this thread. You know how hard it is to get that many people to agree on anything here? ;-)

Hmm, low noise with the windows open? Try a used Subaru SVX (1992-1997 IIRC). They had a canopy-style green house, with a half-sized window (if that). You can actually drive in pouring rain with the window open and not get wet.

Though that too is a GT.

-juice
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Sure, we love it now...but will we love it when we actually see it in metal, with all of the limitations and compromises that are inherent in a production version of a concept vehicle?

;)
  • Options
    moonkatmoonkat Member Posts: 265
    ctdrice:
    I have and would recommend the Aegis LS4 tires for the CRV. They are surprisingly quiet for such a blocky tread design, and they are blockier than the photos at Tire Rack. Inexpensive and comfortable on my 95 Grand Caravan AWD.

While the Yokohama Avids are popular for the CRV, they are grand touring tires and not highly rated for snow. They are not rated much quietier than the LS4s either. Check the tirerack.com reviews and user comments.
  • Options
    dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    I have to step in and say something about "the wind noise problem". when i removed the door panels when instaling tweeters and there was no insulation in the doors. I think, and this is just my thought, honda does not rely on sound deadening materials to quiet down the noise. but after driving mine for quite a while i noticed that the windnoise from a cracked window can be greately reduced by opening an diagonally opposite window. in the last coule of days of the heat wave here in the northeast, i have been driving with all 4 windows all the way down and did not notice a lot of wind noise at 60 -70 mph. coarse pavement though, creates alot of tire noise.
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I don't mind the noise too much, it's the accompanying lingering smell that's hard to take. :)
  • Options
    has fold and tumble seats. Gee, the cr-v does too!! Now if we could just get the rest of the
    cr-v to match lincolns, at the price of the cr-v,
    life would be perfect!! I might settle for the open-air instead.
  • Options
    Racoon - Well said.
  • Options
    Avaiator has 3 rows of seats and a DOHC V8 engine. I think everyone would like to see Honda try to match that!

-juice
  • Options
    zopszops Member Posts: 49
    Folks, if you wanted a luxury SUV with little noise then buy the Lexus or BMW or MDX.
    Rememmber this is a chepa mans SUV for 22+, so don't expect luxury........
    Otherwise a great little SUV for people who can't afford the 30+ SUVs.
  • Options
    Just got an email from tiretrack that the Duellers are being replaced by a new tread design. I hope Honda puts these on my CR-V coming in July.
    Go to tiretrack.com/tires/bridgestone/bs_hljsp
  • Options
    Average transaction prices (per NADA) are nearing $26 grand, so zops has a point.

-juice
  • Options
    artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Anybody have an '02 CR-V with the luggage privacy cover? Does this cut down on tire or road noise any?
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    I think you meant to link us here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bridgestone/bs_hl.jsp

Now, what exactly were you told by The Tire Rack? That the Dueler H/Ts are being "retired"? If Honda decided to switch over to Dueler H/Ls for the factory-installed tires, that would be FANTASTIC! These were my choice of replacement tires for my 2000 EX:

I got 'em from The Tire Rack in January and am very pleased with them. . . .
  • Options
    I take issue with your remark about "cheap man's SUV. I can afford $30,000-40,000-50,000 but chose the CR-V because it suits my needs and my money is better served elsewhere. I'll bet there are some who would rather spend their money with discretion than worry about where their next payment is coming from.As far as issues with the vehicle, that is one of the reasons these boards were created.As long as nobody gets hurt, freedom of speech should always be welcome.
  • Options
    h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    I'm thinking about getting a crv from mark roberts and having it shipped to me. Anyone else done this? If yes how was it, any problems?