Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Grand Cherokee interior door panels

13»

Comments

• Options
    thrasher04thrasher04 Member Posts: 2
    There is a kit that replaces the broken housing. This allows you to fix the issue without replacing the entire panel. This is a serious safety issue with someone having the possibility of being trapped. The year to investigate and the back orders will take too long and pose too much of a risk. The best solution is to fix it yourself and replace the defective piece. I am not allowed to post any links to solicit a product but there are options that can help you get this issue taken care of without all of the hassle.
  • Options
    alejaluv1alejaluv1 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    @ghostsailor and anyone else who is up for it....
    for the past 6 months i have been dealing with this issue. I have a 2006 JGC with only 30,000 miles on it. I have tried every thing, gone trough 3 CSReps Mike, Sharron and Dan in the corporate office. They lied to me saying that they have never heard of this issue, which is crazy because all you have to do is goggle jeep cracked door panels and you find a ton of info on it. Also, on you tube there is a user that mentions Sharron by name...Sharron and the other 2 CSR's have told me on numerous occations that they have never heard of this issue. The service managers at Larchmont & Eastchester (New York) also told me that this had never been seen. The last I heard from Jeep after returning to the dealerships on 3 different occasions to take pictures, is that they told me that they have determined it as vandalism and they are not willing to cover any replacements. Are they serious????? I have been calling lawyers all day to find someone who will guide me in the right direction. I've left a ton of messages so im sure I'll hear back in the morning or sometime this week. Why can't we all combine our efforts and see if someone will listen to all of us if not just one? I have also contacted 7 on your side (NYC) and they called me back. I sent them the information and hopefully they will bring a little light to what is going on. Also filed a complaint at NHTSA website and I hope that everyone with this issue will too.
    Please contact me if you're interested [Email removed] thanks! :mad:
  • Options
    maj1614maj1614 Member Posts: 4
    I was a bit skeptical but for $50 a door what did I have to lose. I order the kit from DenLor tools and was amazed that in 30 minutes I had a working door. It is shameful Chrystler wanted to charge me $700 per door AND couldn't even tell me when they would be off back order. Love my Jeep but will never buy another Chrystler.
  • Options
    ghostsailorghostsailor Member Posts: 2
    I saw several posts for people buying Denlors Tools (dot com) "Zach Thrasher Jeep Interior Door Handle Repair Kit" available in both grey and tan colors. $200 includes all 4 doors. There is an installation PDF file on the part pages, too.

But I have not heard successful installs yet, and I've heard concerns on the strength of the cotter pin key in the little plastic tab in the installatino instructions. Also, while this may be cheaper, if you do your own repair, Chrysler will totally be in the clear from any liability, if someone cannot get out of your Jeep after an accident, because of the door handle. So just passing that along as food for thought.

It took me several months to get mine resolved too, guys. EVERYONE file complaints at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) online at: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm

List it under "LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES" for your 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee...
    65 complaints are currently under: LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES
    29 are under: STRUCTURE:BODY:DOOR
    10 complaints are under: LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES:DOORS:LATCH

Better yet, file one complaint with your VIN# using your work address, and file another separate one without a VIN# with your wife's name & home address. NHTSA does not see enough complaint numbers yet to warrant a full investigation.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2011
    We've had some problems with "promotional" posts about aftermarket door handles around the forum in violation of the Membership Agreement, and that's not the kind of marketing that most reputable companies undertake. So yeah, usual disclaimers.
  • Options
    justbpasjustbpas Member Posts: 2
    What do you mean when you said: After I took 40+ complaints, etc.?
    Did you print it and send it? or you meant: After I LOOK?
    How did you bring it to the dealer?
  • Options
    justbpasjustbpas Member Posts: 2
    I am inclined to order the kit fron DenLor also. You"re right. For $200.00 there is not much you lose. If Chrysler does something, and when, we're better of with this kit. BUT, was it difficult to do it? Please let me know how you did it.
  • Options
    maj1614maj1614 Member Posts: 4
    My husband did it and he said it was not that difficult. It took him about 30-40 minutes per door. The only thing he did have to do was shave the piece a bit to fit easier. The first door took a bit longer just to figure it out, but once he did the first door, the rest went very easy. All the doors are still working great. The inside handle does it a tiny bit off, but they work. It was definately worth the money.
  • Options
    andybwellandybwell Member Posts: 4
    Printed them out and showed them to John Farr at Glendora Dodge. He was on the phone with Jeep and, finally they came through.
  • Options
    gatorfcgatorfc Member Posts: 10
    My mom's 2006 WK (purchased towards the end of 2005) has also experienced this cracked door panel problem on three of her doors. She brought her Jeep in today for routine maintenance and planned on mentioning the door problem as well, prepared for a fight after reading all the horror stories on this thread.

Surprisingly, after conferring with someone else (I'm guessing a manager), the service advisor told her that they would repair the doors for $50. I don't know if that's $50 per door or a $50 deductible as my mom had purchased the extended warranty on her jeep when she bought it. Either way, we'll take it with all the bs some of these dealerships are pulling charging $600-$700 per door. They told her that they have to order the parts and that the Jeep will be in the shop for 4 days, but we'll take whatever we can get.

Maybe Chrysler is starting to acknowledge this problem now? I was surprised at the complete non-drama my mom had in getting them to repair the doors. Fingers crossed it will stay that way through the parts coming in and installed. Will update once everything is fixed.
  • Options
    rmartin008rmartin008 Member Posts: 1
    Well I'm just starting this process so I hope mine goes as easily. If not I am proposing to use Twitter to follow up as I have had good luck getting responses from companies this way. One negative tweet can multiple faster than rabbits.