Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Oldsmobile Aurora Climate Control

dawnt1dawnt1 Member Posts: 2
THE TEMP CONTROL FOR MY AC AND HEAT NO LONGER WORKS IT USED TO COME ON AND OFF NOW IT DOES NOT COME ON AT ALL. THE HEAT AND AC WORK BUT IT ONLY BLOWS ON MY FEET . I CAN CONTRAOL THE SPEED AND TEMP OFF OF THE AIR W/ THE CONTROLS ON MY STEERING WHEEL BUT THAT IS IT THE MAIN CONTROLS ON MY CENTER COUNSOL DONT WORK AT ALL. YOU CANT SEE THE INSIDE OR OUTSIDE TEMP AND NONE OF THE BUTTONS OR KNOBS WORK AT ALL. I HAVE ALSO NOTICED THAT THE AREA ABOVE THAT WHERE IT LIST THE DATE AND TIME I HAVE NO CONTROL OF THOSE BUTTONS EITHER WHILE THE TEMP CONTROL AREA IS OUT ?????? WHAT IS THIS I TRIED TO REPLACE THAT ENTIRE PIECE BUT THAT DID NOT WORK

Comments

• Options
    wealth1daywealth1day Member Posts: 2
    I see there was some discussions on the blower motor control module or blower resistor as some call it.I wanted to post my repair on here so it might help somebody else. My module just burned up yesterday with smoke pouring out of the a/c vents. I found the module under the dash on the passenger side above where your feet would be. It is mounted in the air box to the left of the blower motor. It has two wiring connectors attached to it.Their are only two screws holding it on the box. Just remove the screws then the two connectors. When you re-install the module put some dielectric grease on the connector posts before plugging in the connectors. The reason it burned is because the posts corrode,weaken, lose the good connection,and overheat.I found one like new at an auto recycler for $30. The dealer wanted $147. If you get one at a recycler try to get the connectors also as they will be too burnt to re-use. Hope this helps, Rod
  • Options
    carbdudecarbdude Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1998 Aurora with 112k miles....it has been a great
    car except for the a/c problems I have had.. Recently I have
    had alot of problems with the Air conditioning Not coming on, no matter what buttons I push...if I tap the a/c clutch
    it will come on momentarly then go off again. The system is
    fully charged and I have replaced the relay and the pigtail
    on the compressor and still nothing. Now that its getting
    cold outside my heater won't blow hot air!! it will sometimes come on all by itslef and then goes back off!!
    please anybody I need help bad!! its getting cold!!!!!
    thanks alot~ Monty
  • Options
    olds_auroraolds_aurora Member Posts: 1
    Is it that its not blowing hot air or just not blowing any at all.If its not blowing any at all it could be the blower motor or the blower motor module. I have a 98 aurora that was doing the same thing blow air for about 5 minutes then go on and off by it self. I checked the blower motor first which it was take the motor out that is bolted on with 3 5.5 sized bolts if im not mistaken it might just start going before you take all the bolts off like mine did and its been working ever since.
  • Options
    No the air isnt blowing at all....Over the weekend I checked the blower motor by hot wiring it directly
    to a battery and it worked fine..I did pull the modual
    out and looked at it and it looked fine as far as not
    melted etc..all the plug in's looked clean too. It's
    like there isn't any power getting to or from the mudual.
    would this thing keep the blower from coming on??
    Hey any help is GREATLY appriceated!!!!!!!! Thanks monty
  • Options
    Is there a way I can test the module before I go and waist $65.00 on a new one?? Or can I just bypass the stupid thing so I can at least have heat?? Thanks man!
  • Options
    dlqchrisdlqchris Member Posts: 3
    Monty, I have a 1997 Aurora with the exact same problem. If you don't mind, I would really appreciate knowing what you find out. I am doing some research as well, and I will let you know if I get any answers. So far, it sounds like the blower module. Thanks

Quinn
    quinn.christensen@intermountainmail.org
  • Options
    02tom02tom Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone removed and replaced the blower motor on a 2002 Aurora?
  • Options
    brent1963brent1963 Member Posts: 1
    my blower motor was working only on the high setting without any noises.... but today it totally quit... -30 out side checked fuses all fine ... is it the swtch or motor???
  • Options
    nick55nick55 Member Posts: 1
    This one is wierd - When I have the heater on at 85 - 90, no matter where I set the blower control (defrost), it only blows on my feet, even if the A/C button is on. When I turn down the temp to 60, then the blower control will move the air to where I wasnt it, (defrost / face / or feet). As I turn the temp up, then it defaults back to feet. Any ideas?
  • Options
    volkersvolkers Member Posts: 2
    I have the same issue as carbdude, I will check the module tonight. Anyone else have any suggestions?
  • Options
    jrbakejrbake Member Posts: 1
    HVAC fan has quit with no warning. During diagnostics, found fan operating (I jumped the terminals with a battery and the fan runs). I then turned attention to the Blower Motor Module. Ran diagnostics as defined in Mitchell manual and all evidence turns to the module is bad. Found a salvage unit and installed. At first fan still didn't work. Then I found by jiggling the 3 prong pigtail, the fan will run (this doesn't work on the original module). Acts like a loose connection, which it isn't.

My sense is that the salvage unit I bought also has a problem, but because it runs intermittently, the problem has to be with the module / pigtail. Looking for confirmation before I buy a new module.
  • Options
    pamla777pamla777 Member Posts: 2
    I came home from work and turned my car off.The heater kept blowing even when I turned it off and the car off. My husband disconnected the battery cables so it wouldn't drain my battery. When I started the car the next day the heater/ac would not work.All the fuses were checked and ok. I checked online and was told to change the temp control module in the dash .I ordered a new one and it was installed.Nothing changed..still no air is blowing.! Power was supplied to the blower and it is working.I was told that we probably erased the info on the computer when we disconnected the battery.Is this possible? How do we reprogram the computer so the blower fan works properly?? HELP PLEASE...
  • Options
    volkersvolkers Member Posts: 2
    The main power to the Blower Control Module is always hot- it doesn't turn on or off with the ignition. So I suppose that it is possible that a major malfunction/short in the blower control module could keep the blower from turning off... Why it didn't come back on, I couldn't say, except that in my hypothesis the BCM is already malfunctioned. It seems like they all go bad in these cars, or just the connections, or both.

My money is on the blower control module.
  • Options
    fnyradfnyrad Member Posts: 4
    my climate control kicks on and off when it wants to ive noticed that alot of times when i come to a stop it will kick off or go to a low speed if i put my foot on the break and rev it up it will sometimes kick back on but not always. and sometimes when im accelerating it doesnt kick back on or if i stopped it kicks on. it doesnt matter what the knobs are set to, what temp its at or if the a/c is on or not it does it all the time. i tested the blower motor and it tested good. i got a module from a junk yard and it has the same results i dont know if it is bad to. its over 100 degrees for the rest of this week so any help would be appricated!!!
  • Options
    propaulpropaul Member Posts: 1
    this is for dawnt1, i had the same problem with my hvac controls. it turns out it was a bad connection on fuse #37. i hope this helps someone, dawnt1 was the only person on the whole internet with the same problem.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Dawn's post is quite old but thanks for posting this anyway. It may help someone new who drops in here!

Host
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,171
    I read through some of the post here and find several involve the blower motor. As one person described, the blower control module is an electronic switch that is easy to replace. It fails in various ways on this era GM. It can keep blower motor on after key is off or it can change speeds strangely. I even had one that used speeds that were different than the original 6 speeds, all due to varying resistances.

The connector to the module can be the problem with corroded or poor connections causing heat due to resistance, and that heat distorts the plastic around it giving poor physical pressure on the contacts resulting in more heat and problems.

The blower motor commutator can wear and the brush that contacts it may stick. This usually causes the blower motor to not run on startup until the car hits a bump which vibrates the motor and the armature and commutator move a little and contact the brush or vice versa. Replace the blower motor. An empirical test for this is to tap the top of your shoe against the blower motor while key is on and motor is not turning when it should. BUT this also may vibrate the connection at the lead for the blower control module. So careful diagnosis is called for.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,