Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Camry

Comments

• My 2008 V6 has a production date of 1-15-08....delivered 1-25-08 (factory ordered 10-2-07).
    If the first 2009 arrives at dealers 1-22-08, sound like the last 2008's (mine) will be coming off the same line as the first 2009's in January. Other than a different window sticker and price, the cars will be the same .
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Don't count on it.
    ;)
    Mack
  • All this talk about a '09 Camry being released in January '08 has me scratching my head :confuse:

I thought the earliest you could release a "new" model using the forward year is in May of the previous year.

So where did we get this information anyway and has it been substantiated by Toyota?

I'm sure at most , the only thing you'll see change in '08 are the tail lights, wheels, some color options and maybe a grill change. nothing substantial is my guess.
  • Mackabee,
    On 2009 model, do you know can the headrests of two front seats be adjustable back and forth? On 2008 LE, they cannot ...so somebody says they're not comfortable as they should be ... TIA :)
  • this is from a Totyota factory rep....

"The 2009 Camry is virtually an exact carry over from the 2008 MY vehicle. Only very minor (probably unseen) changes in the interior will be made. The Camry will have the same specifications, dimensions and standard equipment.

The 2010 Camry will be introduced in Mid-March of 2009 with what Toyota calls a mid-year re-freshening."
    Here's the proof:

Toyota Announces Prices For Four Vehicles In Model Lineup
    11/30/2007 Torrance, CA

Toyota announced mid-year price adjustments to manufacturer's suggested retail prices (MSRP) today for the 2008 model year Toyota Yaris, Prius, RAV4, and 2009 Camry and Camry Hybrid.

The 2008 Yaris Liftback and Sedan receive an average price increase of $50, or 0.4 percent. The new base MSRP for the Yaris Liftback ranges from $11,350 for the base grade with five-speed manual transmission to $13,925 for the Yaris Liftback S model with four-speed automatic transmission. The base MSRP for Yaris Sedan ranges from $12,225 for the base grade with five-speed manual transmission to $14,450 for the S model with four-speed automatic transmission.

The 2008 Prius receives an average price increase of $150, or 0.7 percent. The base MSRP for the Prius ranges from $21,100 for the Standard model to $23,370 for the Touring model.

RAV4 4x2 models carry a base MSRP that ranges from $21,250 for the base grade four-cylinder to $25,420 for the Limited V6. The base MSRP for the RAV4 4x4 ranges from $22,650 for the base grade with a four-cylinder to $26,820 for the Limited V6. Total RAV4 average MSRP increases $150 or 0.6 percent.

The new pricing for 2008 Toyota Yaris, Prius and RAV4 will be effective on December 17, 2007.

Camry, the best-selling passenger car in America, redefines global standards for comfort and performance. The new base MSRP for the 2009 Camry sedan ranges from $18,720 for the base grade with a four-cylinder engine and five-speed manual transmission to $28,270 for the premium XLE grade with a V6 engine and six-speed automatic transmission.

The 2009 Camry sedan combined base MSRP increases by $150, or 0.7 percent. 2009 Camry Hybrid will have a new base MSRP of $25,350. The Camry Hybrid combined base MSRP increases by $150, or 0.6 percent.

The 2009 Camry arrives in dealerships on January 21, 2008.

:shades:
    More than likely it will be a carry over since it's not due for a refresh until 2010. There will be additional standard equipment to compete with the Accord. That's all I can say for now.
    Mack :shades:
  • There will be additional standard equipment to compete with the Accord.

I don't really think that's the reason for the early release. I think it's a trick to try to gain sales. It's a tough decision for a consumer not to buy a Camry b/c it's '09 vs a '08 Accord or or '08 Altima. To be fair, I think Honda and Nissan should just put the '09 label instead of '08 in Jan. as well. :mad:

Also, '09 Corolla will be out in Feb. :surprise:
    So will the Matrix. Trick for what? Camry is still outselling the Accord. What are you getting mad for?
    Mack
  • Haha, I don't really care about camry cuz I didn't own ones currently but I just think it's wrong that Toyota introduces the car so early. A '08 Camry will look like a 1 year old car in less than 30 days.
    The 07 was introduced in March of 06. Most people don't even know or care.
    An 08 will look just like an 09 if there are no changes to the exterior which I don't expect there to be. But then again we don't know that for sure. So what brings you to the Camry forum?
  • Thanks for the info .... :)
  • I am ready to buy a new 2008 Camry but with all the problems discussed in various forums and Consumer Reports with engine hesitation and transmission issues on the V6 I am in "hold mode". In fact I was about ready to go with the 2008 Honda Accord until I saw this update on the 2009 Camry. Do you think these problems have been addressed on the 2009?

Retiredtech
    The transmission issues have long been fixed.
    Mack
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Mack, what was the root cause of the V6-6 speed flare issue, and the technical resolution to it? I hadn't heard or read anywhere that the problem was ever identified.

The I4-5 speed problem was resolved with the TSB for performance.
  • carl56carl56 Posts: 3
    Does anyone have information on what if any changes in color the 09 will have? It seems that the Desert Sand color, particularly in the 08 models of the XLE, is difficult to find. I wonder if the color is being phased out for a similar color that currently exist on the newly designed highlander?
  • The 2009 Camry will arrive in showrooms mid February,
    Look for no changes in the car, other than the price increase.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Sorry, Mack, As I have already informed you I have seen numerous posts involving complaints of flare AND hesitation on some of the '08 Toyota/Lexus models.

Perhaps you should take a WIDER view.

I noticed that you said once before that NONE of your customers ever had or complained of these problems and then when challenged on the issue you admitted that you had heard from others of the continuing complaints.
    In order to eliminate, alleviate, the 1-2 second transaxle downshift delay/hesitation the '08 MY engine /transaxle ECU control firmware has been revised to recognize the rate at which the gas pedal is released. Apparently a QUICK gas pedal release will indicate a desire to slow the vehicle more rapidly and therefore it will be more likely to remain in a lower gear, the current lower gear. On the other hand a slow gas pedal release will indicate the driver's intent to enter cruising mode and therefore the transaxle will likely upshift as normal.

As I have said before, the problem arises when the vehicle has been operating in a lower gear range, say for moderate acceleration, then the driver goes into a brief full lift throttle period, coastdown, and then re-applies throttle to return to the acceleration mode. Such as might often happen in an acceleration lane of a freeway. The smallish (for FE) ATF pump cannot supply enough flow for two quick sequential shift sequences, especially with the engine at idle as a result of the full lift throttle period.

So the idea, new "fix", is to try and detect, sense, the driver's intent by recognizing the rate at which the gas pedal is released.

The difference between QUICK and SLOW...??

Probably a LEARNED driver style/technique parameter once you start the car in motion and continuing, continuous relearning, until you turn the ignition key off.

I would imagine that for most driver's this "new feature" will undoubtedly result in reducing substantially the number of times the 1-2 second delay/hesitation symptom is encountered.

The shift flare....

It looks as if the fill level of the transaxle might have been the problem all along. The new transaxles are sealed, no dipstick, and the instructions for dealer drain/refill clearly imply that the fill level, under or over, is EXTREMELY critical.

The instructions imply that the fill level, adjusted according to current ATF temperature, must be correct within 200ml, about a fifth of a quart.

I suspect the dipstick has been removed to take the DIY owner/driver, or anyone unknowledgeable of the correct procedure, out of the loop.
    Yes, I did say I had heard from others but not from the ones that I sold. Maybe I just have the Midas touch?
    :)
    Mackabee
    Or selling just one camry/year just might be too small a sample....
    "Or selling just one camry/year just might be too small a sample...."

That's a low blow, :blush:
    Yes, but I was smiling... ;)
    One of the dumbest moves Toyota Motor Sales USA has ever made by releasing a completely unchanged Camry and calling it a 2009! I truly apologize for making some assumptions about the 2009 Camry. I looked over the source book on the 09 and I don't see a single change other than a "revised" center console and one other thing that does nothing for the car.
    As far as the VSC goes I couldn't find it on the standard equipment list or the options list. :confuse: I've combed through the spec book and find nothing new. Even the colors are the same. WTF?
    Mackabee
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I have to agree that is lame. Why artificially shorten the '08 model year for no good reason?
    "..completely unchanged..."

Maybe not.

Suppose Toyota rushed a new transaxle into production that has a variable displacement ATF pump as a final solution for the downshift delay hesitation and the "flare" issue..?

I checked techinfo.toyota.com for new car features but that is not yet available for the 2009 Camry.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Yeah, but even if such a change were made (and I don't necessarily agree with your logic), it could be a running change during the '08 model year. Such running changes occur all the time.
    Exactly. I still don't see the logic behind this. They are shortening the 08 model year. Making the 09 model year longer, only to introduce the refreshed 2010 in March of 09. :confuse:
    I mean, we just had the Sequoia in December, the 09 Camry in January (this month), the 09 Corolla and Matrix will debut at stores in mid-February. I wonder what's on the schedule for March? Toyota is showing the Venza at the Detroit auto show on the 14th of this month. I expect that vehicle to be here in late summer early fall of this year. Maybe they just want a 1-2-3 punch to begin the year.
    and let's not forget the mini concept truck A-BAT. That one is also being shown at Detroit. Looks like a mini Avalanche/Ridgeline. It's aimed at the alternate lifestyle folks.
    Mack
  • joel16joel16 Posts: 64
    Glad to see you're still around (I haven't been on the forums in awhile). Maybe you can comment on the following:

I can say I am happy with my 2007 Camry XLE 4-cyl. It gets good mileage, and has been dependable so far. It is an adequate car. What would make it better in my opinion is as follows:

1. switchgear on the dash is flimsy in some cases, e.g. the dual temp control
    2. dash assembly, and other parts of car, is imprecise; plastic parts don't fit together well, adjacent pieces don't line up in some cases
    3. visibility out the back is bad, especially when backing up; a lip on the trunk lid would help see where the rear of the car is, or at least some marker in the design
    4. no quiet glass available on the XLE (at least, not even on the V6)
    5. Engine HP for 4-cyl is adequate, but should be higher; Honda Accord now has a 190HP Accord 4-cyl
    6. No full size spare, or at least accomodation for a full size spare (let the customer decide whether or not they want to buy a 5-wheel and make the well big enough to hold)
    7. VSC and TC not standard on all models (should be at least standard on the XLE models)
    8. Pearl White Paint not offered on the Camry, but on Rav 4 all models (makes no sense to just offer flat white)
    9. Seats are OK for most short trip use, but terrible for long trips. The best seats in the industry (in my opinion) are Volvo seats. Volkswagon, and even some Lexus seats are comfortable, and now, many Ford and GM cars have seats comfortable for long hauls. What would it take to make a comfortable seat?
    10. No memory seats offered (at least on the XLE models). This might help with #9 above.
    11. More adjustment positions for the power seats (Lexus has more positions/adjustments for the seat back and pan)
    12. braking is adequate, but not great. This is also true of the Honda Accord. Specifically, stops from 60mph should be at least below 130 feet, and with the best, close to 120 feet or less; this should be true for both wet and dry braking. I know some of the reason has to do with tires and suspension. However, Mazda seems to do it, some Fords, and even the new Chevy Malibu stops in 124 feet. I think this is related to brake size.
    13. Adjustable Pedals (brake and gas)....

I can't believe it's as simple as it costs too much; there has to be some marketing impression that these features and improvements are not needed. Are any of these planned improvements for future models? I believe these simple improvements would raise the Camry from Appliance status to a Great Car status (yeah, I know, they sell a ton of them anyway, regardless of how they build them).
    Honda may not always hit the mark, but at least they (seem to) strive for greatness, whereas Toyota, at least with the Camry, seems to strive for average, middle of the road, no surprises (some might say boring).