Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Dart charging problem...complete mystery in my 66

nicobeenicobee Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Dodge
My 1966 Dodge dart 225 recently had a smoking battery problem. I purchased a new battery, put in a new voltage regulator, had the alternator tested (it tested good at two different store locations) and started up my car. She started right up with no problems, but when I looked at my ammeter, it was sitting right in the middle of the line, not charging at all. I pulled the negative battery cable and the car died instantly.

I am at a loss as to what could be causing my battery to not charge. I have checked all my wires and connections so they're clean and tight. As I stated, I replaced the VR, the battery and the alternator. I checked the fuse at my positive battery cable and it doesn't look like it has blown.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to something I may have missed?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If you pulled the cable and the car died, then either the alternator or voltage regulator is not working, or at least not wired up properly.

Don't go by the dash gauge. You should be using a simple voltmeter.

If you are buying these parts from a large discount outlet, you have about a 1 in 10 chance of getting a bad one. If you go to NAPA the odds go up considerably.
  • Options
    nicobeenicobee Member Posts: 6
    I thought of the VR and purchased yet another one. It is still not charging. I have tested my alternator with a voltmeter and it seems to have the correct output. I really don't know what else it could be.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Wiring or a totally fried battery. IF you can find a Chilton's they'll tell you how to do a regulator by-pass test.

Did you put the voltmeter on the battery with the engine running. What voltage did it register as you raced the engine?
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    There used to be a place in the LA area where they "rebuilt" generators, alternators and starters. The place was amazing.

Today it's probably a toxic waste site. I'm serious.

About 40 guys sat at long filthy tables overhauling these units. They replaced only what was needed to make them work and nothing else.

After the units had been "rebuilt" they were polished up and painted to look good...and they did!

At the time, I think they sold the generators and alternators for something like 12.00 and the starters were 15.00.

They also sold "rebuilt" car batteries for 10.00.

To rebuild one they turned them upside down on a heavy screen that was on top of a 55 gal drum. After draining the acid, they would beat on the bottom of the batteries with a mallet to dislodge anything causing the plates to short out.

New acid, an hours charge, a polish job and a new decal and you were good to go!

I think they offered something like a 30 day warranty on the stuff they sold. Hey, we were young and broke and sometimes the stuff actually would work for awhile.

This place also sold "reclaimed" motor oil. If you brought your own bulk container I believe it was 15 cents a quart!

After about the third time immigration agents raided the place, it shut down.

The place was a far cry from a NAPA store!
  • Options
    sandman235sandman235 Member Posts: 7
    these early chrysler charging systems were notorious for bad voltage regulators
This discussion has been closed.