Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Spark plugs

alandfalandf Member Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Lincoln
Does anyone have recommendations on what replacement plugs to use in a 3.9?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    I put a set of Bosch platinum +4s in my LS about 3 years ago. I've been satisfied with them.
  • Options
    haroldsjsharoldsjs Member Posts: 8
    I am looking into doing my first tune up in many years. My car is a 2001 Nissan Maxima. I am told that there are many different types of plugs for this car. They range in cost from $3.99/each to more than $11.99/each. They go by names that include; Iridium, Platinum and the like. I was told by a sales person that the fancy more costly ones have a hotter spark.

My knowledge of how plugs and combustion work is; that the plug fires at the maximum fuel/air compression level to get the most power from the combustion.

Does the heat of the spark make a difference? Isn't it true, that once the minimum flash point of the spark necessary is achieved for detonation to takes place, any heat (energy) over and above that flash point, necessary to cause detonation of the fuel/air mixture is superfluous?

If my understanding is true, then spending more money on expensive plugs, is waistful. Please tell me what the real deal is. :shades:
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Save your money and replace the factory plugs with the same ones. You won't notice a difference.
This discussion has been closed.