Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cadillac Deville Starting / Stalling Problems

2»

Comments

• Options
    clewislclewisl Member Posts: 1
    The body control module is located in the truck attached to the upper back seat. you must remove the cover to get to it. They are expensive new, but mine went bad and I found one at a salvage yard for $35.00 which works great. I hope this info helps you clewisl
  • Options
    caddys32caddys32 Member Posts: 1
    sounds like what happend 2 me iac & intake needed cleaned & had bad vaccum leak ruber boot intake gasket had a 2inch slit in it on the bottom back side. sucked alot of air. $185 fixed problem went away thank god!! o forgot replaced converter 2 cloged up gave me alot more power. my car is a 2002 deville.
  • Options
    cadillacman98cadillacman98 Member Posts: 4
    1998 Cadillac Deville Wont start, new key dosent workby cadillacman98Jan 30, 2012 (11:00 am)

I lost my keys to my 1998 cadillac deville, I had the dealer make me new keys but the ignition had been changed and key did not work, I found a copy of my original key i lost but does not have a Chip so i had a locksmith make a new key like my old key using the chip the dealer made me. But the car still says starting system disabled after a few seconds, then it says remove key, wait 3 minutes, wait 2 minutes, wait 1 minute, inster key, start car. but only elctrical turns on, i cant hear the starter or anything then it says the same thing remove key, waith 3 minutes..I dont know what to do. I have bought two keys , from dealer and locksmith
  • Options
    1998 Cadillac Deville Wont start, new key dosent workby cadillacman98Jan 30, 2012 (11:00 am)

I lost my keys to my 1998 cadillac deville, I had the dealer make me new keys but the ignition had been changed and key did not work, I found a copy of my original key i lost but does not have a Chip so i had a locksmith make a new key like my old key using the chip the dealer made me. But the car still says starting system disabled after a few seconds, then it says remove key, wait 3 minutes, wait 2 minutes, wait 1 minute, inster key, start car. but only elctrical turns on, i cant hear the starter or anything then it says the same thing remove key, waith 3 minutes..I dont know what to do. I have bought two keys , from dealer and locksmith
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    crustypennycrustypenny Member Posts: 1
    My '95 deville stalled 1/2hr after running. Is it gas or spark? I was ready to perform expensive parts replacement but if it were spark it should be backfiring/missing, right? I ran 3/8" hose from PCV fresh air inlet to driver window & hosed starting fluid @ stall...guess what!!! (ran out of starting fluid). stopped to get more fluid & fuel, opened gas cap..WHOOOSH. Suction when cap opened, hmmm. LEFT FUEL CAP LOOSE. Haven't had a problem since. (200+miles).
    carlwintheiser@yahoo.com
  • Options
    duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    My 2000 DHS with just 40,000 miles on it was occasionally stalling out at stop signs and rarely when driving at moderate speeds.

I had the dealership replace both crankshaft position sensors and the tech also suggested replacing the fuel filter. I did both.

1100 miles later, the car is running perfectly and hopefully it will continue to do so.
  • Options
    zuransky2zuransky2 Member Posts: 1
    It was missing and if you babied the gas you could keep it running bout 45-50 mph. I had a friend look at it. They said dist cap had a hole in it. So I changed the dist cap,coil,rotor button,plugs and wires. It started up ran bout 5-6sec and died. Now it will turn over but will not start. I took fuel filter off its fine. I replaced it anyways. Any thoughts,help ideas would be great!
  • Options
    1998_deville1998_deville Member Posts: 1
    I got in and drove to a store, when I came out the car wouldn't start. After waiting a while, I was able to start the car and drive home. I let the engine cool down for a couple of hours went back out to start it and it did the same thing. I sat there for a while turning the key into the on position for a few seconds and then trying to crank it again. After about 3 minutes, the engine turned over and started just fine. I took it for a drive, came home, shut the engine off, and tried to crank it over again. It worked just fine, I couldn't repeat the problem. I replaced the battery a few months ago and just checked it again and all of the connections. Everything there seems to be okay. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this might be?
  • Options
    bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    edited August 2013
    Check the battery cables. If they have gotten any acid on them, they might be eaten up inside the insulation. Of course, even before this, check that they are tight on the battery.

They don't fail much, but the starter might be going bad. You have a 15 year old car. The starter isn't easy to replace, it's inside the intake manifold.

Also, the positive battery cable is long on these cars and is not cheap.

Did you check the battery with a load test? Even if it is only a few months old, it could be failing.
  • Options
    screwedupjayscrewedupjay Member Posts: 2
    I got a cadillac deville 1995 lights inside not working right out of no where and it stalls on me turns off out of no where when I'm in a stop sign or red light and I was driving on the freeway port of houston the one that goes real high up it went 20 on a 80 could of kill myself and it takes time to catch speed some times it don't wants to go up from 60 got to let go of the gas and press it again to make it speed up can somebody help never had this problems had it standing for a year because the water pump but I barely fix it and this started happening they said I put it right for my first time they say is the crankshaft or  distributor can somebody help me please it still runs and everything 
  • Options
    cheddar5cheddar5 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Today my  96cadillac deville made a loud clinging noise it cut off but started back up.tHe clinging kelp on and now it's hard to turn left r right but the clinging stopped what's the problem?
  • Options
    burke7burke7 Member Posts: 1
    I had this same issue . It drove me insane . But I fixed the problem and will tell you how I did it .
    2001 DTS. 

had the car stalling on me . Or the idle would run high at stop lights . I first checked all the codes . And one came back as a catalytic converter issue .

Further investigation , realized that the catalytic converter code can also be caused by toour much air getting into the intake / throttle body . Or possibly a air sensor issue .
     ( rare but possible ) 

THE FIX , and I'message writing this because it drove me so crazy I want to help others .
    it was so simple . 

I removed the rubber boot from the air filter to the throttle body . I pulled out the sensor nearest the butterfly valve gave it a cleaning with alcohol prep pad . AND applied a NEW O-RING Before putting it back in . I also cleaned out the butterfly valve assembly back to its former shiny glory . .
    I than put it all back together . And here is the part that I believe fixed it . TIGHTEN the clamps! The worm ring clamps . For whatever reason they loosen up over time .extra air was seeping into the intake . And causing the car to run LEAN. Raising the idle .  And also at times causing a stall after I start the car or at stop lights . one of these processes , not sure which one solved all my issues . No more check engine lights . No warnings . No codes . Runs like it did from the factory .

Simple fix . It's worth a try . And my car the check engine light turned itself off without me clearing codes or manually turning it off. And with the cleaned up throttle body , I must've gained about ten horsepower on my 15 year old 122,000 mile cadillac dts. It MOVES now . 
    Also gas mileage has improved .

I'm so confident now in the performance of the car and reliability I even started spending money doing modifications like H.I.D headlights and aftermarket pioneer navigation systems .

Good luck to everyone having this issue . Check o-rings that possibly dried up . make sure all clamps are tight . Make sure that throttle body is clean !
  • Options
    bigjoel_2000bigjoel_2000 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Cadillac Deville... 4.9 Engine. I have problems starting my car from time to time, but for the most part it starts right up. There are times when it won't turn over, Sometimes it takes a few turns, sometimes it takes close to 50. There are other time when the engine starts to turn over then stops, then I have to turn the key a few times to get it started. I do notice at times when I do start it successfully the car will lunge forward. I was told Northstar starters rarely ever go out. I had a problem the other day where it wouldn't start at all, Had to get it towed back home... Played with it a bit and wouldn't start.... A friend of mine told me to hit the valet button in my glove box, so I did, then it started right up... It still from time to time will not start on the first attempt. Tested the battery with the car off and get 12.7 volts, I even started at night with the lights on, and the lights don't go dim.... Not to mention my check engine light will pop on, then turn off from time to time, giving me 0141 which is my rear O2 sensor..... My car has died on me once or twice in the last 3 years while driving it, but only when the roads were slushy in the winter.... Guessing the problem is either my distributor cap or a corroded wire somewhere, or possibly a corroded fuse panel....
  • Options
    RogueZombieRogueZombie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 Deville DTS that stalls out only at idle and only in park or neutral.. runs perfectly in gear, even at idle.. it's only when it's not in gear that it stalls out.. no warning no rough idle, just off.. like I took the key out.. ANY would be appreciated...
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    So it does this all the time, or only sometimes, or when cold, or when warm, or ???

I'm wondering, in this case, if there's another variable you aren't noticing that affects the stall.