Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2009 Nissan Maxima

Comments

• Options
    out4catout4cat Member Posts: 91
    When you consider a brand new model hitting the streets and in less than 3 months already at 4k discounts, sales must not be as expected. Usually new models go for over sticker in the northern Va area, not with this car.
    I am still waiting to see on in Tuscan Sun with Cafe Latte interior, around here dealer lots are full of grey with black seats, no variety at all. Mystic Jade is a nice color too.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Back when I bought my 1995 Maxima, the dealers in Northern Virginia set a new standard for "sleeziness". Rosenthal and Browns were particularly scummy. As was Darcars on the Maryland side.

VOB was the only Nissan dealer at the time that was professional and had integrity. And they were generally great for service, as well. I'm not sure what they are like today, but it's a good bet that the others didn't find any religion in the intervening 14 years.

Also, consider Baltimore. Back when I bought my 911 in 2005, HBL, Arlington, Rockville and Tischer all said $1,000 off was the best they could do on the new 997 Cabriolet S model. And that I should be happy that they would even take $1k off. I went to Hunt Valley Porsche and got $10k off.
  • Options
    traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    Ahhh, I thought this may be the case. How much was the dealer prep fees? (what do you consider high?) Not much point in posting an internet price if it is not the price. Silly games that waste both parties time.

I just skimmed the last few pages and see that you are in NC. I am in SC. What were your impressions of the NC dealers you visited? Any dealer along the SC border from the NC mountains to the coast is in driving range from either my home, the inlaws home, or their beach condo.

Over the years, I found that smaller mom & pop stores are easier and better in every way. Big corporate owned stores = sleazy, old school, high pressure.
  • Options
    You must have a crystal ball, I deal with Rosenthal's and have been doing that since I got my 2001 Maxima. My salesman may very well make money on the deal but the numbers on my lease are always within my expectations and financial tolerance. I walked away with my 07 lease costing me less than my 04 lease in initial cash and same monthly payments for a car that was about 1k more in sticker price. My wife is on her 3rd Altima and the lease payments have not gone up since 2000 even though the car's sticker price has creeped up. Maybe it is just my salesman, I have dealt with others and found them to be right down disrespectful even. So the Tysons area has surely changed since 1995, basically I deal at Rosenthal's and dream at HBL.
  • Options
    Sounds like Rosenthal improved or you have a higher tolerance for pain than me.

Just out of curiosity, since I have never leased and have always paid cash, what do the lease payments on a Maxima / Altima look like compared to, say, a BMW 3 series? I was under the impression that, if you are inclined to lease, BMW's look relatively more affordable because they have both higher resale (residual) and more leasing incentives. A couple of years ago, a friend leased a 530i for only about $100 a month than his wife's Maxima, even though the MSRP's were nearly $20k apart.
  • Options
    Nah our tolerance is most likely just about the same, I do my homework on residuals and fees ahead of time, walk in with a monthly payment in my head and we have always agree except for about a $10 to $20 difference. Then we discuss it with the Manager for about 20 minutes and I get my payment. It is the usual dealer high ball low ball game except unlike other horror stories I have heard of, I do not stay there for 4 to 5 hours haggling, I can do 20-30 minutes and then I walk away.
    As far as payments vs BMWs, I agree that the higher residual on a BMW can sometimes make the payment difference even less than $100.00 a month. Add to that the free maintenance the BMW throws in these days and the customer certainly has options. In seeing the incentive plans on leases by BMW and Benz, the initial cash payment is way out of control. It used to be that leasing was attractive because of no down-payments, not that way anymore. I have seen Benz deals with 5K initial payments, and BMW with about 4K. Between the fees, capitalized cost reduction (Fancy term for down payment), acquisition fees and all that nonsense, the incentive of leasing goes away for someone without that much cash to lay out. I always tell my salesman that all I have is enough for first month's payment and he even works the tax into the lease, at end of year the incentives to the dealer must be enough to be able to work some magic.
    Example:
    07 SE 33, 830 sticker/ 429.00 1st month and 38 more payments of the same amount, right out the door.
    04 SL 32,700 sticker/ 800.00 including 1st month and 41 more payments of the same amount, right out the door. (the incentives on the SL did not match the SE in 04, don't know why). My 04 by the way had the elite package with 4 bucket seats which was very nice.
    02 Altima for my wife, 21k Sticker, paid 1000K including 1st monthly payment and deposit with another 35 payments of $289.00.
    06 Altima for my wife, 23K sticker (special edition with more equipment than the 02) paid 289.00 first month payment and right out the door with 38 more payments due. (4 weeks later I got a check from Nissan for $600.00 because the salesman took the 02 in as a trade instead of a lease return vehicle and it was worth $600.00 more than the pay-off). This refund made up for the extra money I paid at the beginning of the lease. I am mostly loyal to my salesman than Nissan, so far so good. Since 99, I have taken delivery of 7 cars from him, including some Sentras for my older son.
    Now here is the kicker, by contrast an American car, my daughter's 07 Pontiac G6, 18K sticker, that one is 240.00 a month, no deposit but it is for 48 months, totally different depreciation schedule. She is in College and the town she lives in (Farmville Va.) does not have a Nissan dealer for service so I had to go with GM.
    I still follow the advise that a Honda salesman once gave me, buy appreciating assets and lease depreciating assets. Since my cars are selected for transportation and out of being in love with the darn thing, I can follow that advice. If I were to suddenly be looking for a 911, SL550, Audi A5/S5, BMW 6 series, then I would be selecting out of loving the darn thing and would want to own it regardless of the depreciating asset advice. Oh I also love the new Maserati Quattroporte....
  • Options
    go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    Traindriver,

I ended up getting my car out of Crown in Greensboro. Apex also had very similar internet pricing. The bigger cities like Charlotte and a few of the dealers in Raleigh had the poorest prices. I also even shopped my Maxima in Atlanta, and they were also way too high.

BTW - I like your userid as I have a big HO Train collection...
  • Options
    traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    Thanks, mdx. I always like to find out which dealers will deal when I find that someone is from my neck of the woods.

BTW - I like your userid as I have a big HO Train collection...

Honestly, I can't say I am much of a fan or collector. My user id comes from the fact that it's my occupation....(locomotive engineer)
  • Options
    eric106eric106 Member Posts: 13
    Ok well i am dying to get the 09 maxima. Ok here's my story. i have a 05 pathfinder lease with 37000 miles and aloud 39000 miles. my lease is up in July so i will be going over my miles. i pay 409.00 a month. Would it make sense to roll the final 9 payments into the Maxima or pay the final payment'S off. i was told from the dealer for the sport 37,500.00 would be 2000.00 down 500.00 a month or roll the payments from the pathfinder and it would be 463.00 a month. Need some help. Thanks
  • Options
    Sorry $563.00 a month
  • Options
    I suggest you call NIMAC if they financed/leased you the Pathfinder. Ask if for customer loyalty they have a deal where your remaining payments will be waived. I have done that for 3 month remaining but not for as many as you have left, never hurts to call and ask.
    What is the sticker price of the Maxima you are leasing? How many monthly payments of 563.00 (that seems way high). What is the 2,000 down for (You need to know where your money is going because they will pocket it in fees and you will just lose your hard earned money). Ask for the residual for your Maxima and work your deal backwards from there. If you want a simple way to calculate, take the sticker price multiply it by .0125 and by .015, your monthly payment should fall within that range with only 1st month and tags out the door.
  • Options
    Hey also look at message 415, some of the prices I have paid in lease monthly payments with the actual sticker on each car.
  • Options
    I called nissan and asked for early termination figure and it was something around 3900 wasn't worth it. $563.00 was for 39 month lease with the remaining 9 months at 409.00 from the pathfinder and if i didnt have those pathfinder payment the lease would be 500.00 for 39 months. the sticker of the 2009 maxima is 37,500.00 and sales tax in new jersey is 7% so what do u think i should be paying for the maxima. 15000 miles a year. thank. need help please
  • Options
    I think you should just keep the Pathfinder for at least another 6-7 months, pay the cost of the additional miles, and then switch to a Maxima if the economics make more sense. As I have indicated before, I'm not a leasing expert, but if I take all the figures you are quoting and net them out, it looks like you are grossly overpaying for a Maxima. There is a good chance Maxima's will be selling under invoice well before your Pathfinder lease is up and your negotiating power will be considerably greater.
  • Options
    alexstorealexstore Member Posts: 264
    HOLD ON WITH PATHFINDER and IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PAYMENTS. In 9 month 2010 maxima will be out and most if not all issues/ problems 09 has will be addressed. Compare for example 04 and 05 maxima for recalls and TSBs.
  • Options
    sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Member Posts: 269
    If I were you I would keep the pathfinder and curb my desire to get a Maxima...This is purely based on financials..

There is an emotional aspect to owning the car. If you are dealing with GOTTA HAVE MAX and get rid of Pathfinder..then I would do the following:

Negotiate better price on Max
    Try to negotiate 3900 for lease termination
    if everything fails and the numbers are written in stone and YOU GOTTA HAVE MAX then terminating pathfinder lease and getting a max seems like a simpler and cleaner option.

I generally dont lease cars...but if I was bitten and HAVE to lease I would only lease it in multiple of 12 months (So I dont pay taxes/use fee for 48 months & use the car for 39 months) and NOT more then 36 month (at which the warrenty expires..you spend $500 to reset the chk engine light in 39th month just before returning the car)
  • Options
    Eric I know what it is like to have the itch for a car but the best advise I can give you when it comes to Nissans is DON'T GET 1ST YEAR OF PRODUCTION. In July the 2010 model will be out and hopefully tweaked to address recurring problems (I second that advise).Don't be the guinea pig with the 09, I was that with the 04 and it does not feel good at all to have 32K tied up in a nightmare. Each of the replies to your questions have merit, calculate how much you will pay in excess mileage by end of lease and figure that against the $3,900.00 early termination cost, I doubt you will hit that. But if you absolutely don't care about that and just have to have the 09 Max, the monthly payments on your car at $37,500 should be between $469.00 for 39, or $562.00 for 30 months or so. These are just target figures based on my experience with leases. Certainly the car will have a good discount and that will help with the payments. By the way those figures are out the door with 0.00 down, tax included, 0.00 deposit because you are a repeat customer, plus tag and title. Also shop around, dealers vary in sleaziness, car direct.com is an option. Yellow pages used to have auto brokers instead of auto dealers, they do not have inventory costs and therefore you save money. If you do not have trustworthy dealer with which you have a relationship, shop around.
  • Options
    I’ve had my 2009 Maxima for over 1 month now and nearly 800 miles. I’m very happy with my car purchase!! It's 60% luxury and 40% sport which is just the right amount of luxury/sport for me. Those wanting more sport, go with the new G37 or 328i. Those wanting more luxury, go with the GS 350 or M35. Of course, these cars are a bit more money and may not be considered direct competitors to the Maxima. But, for me, they were.

Strengths
    - The ride and drive is a perfect blend of luxury and performance. 0 to 60mph in 6.3 secs, yet a nice comfortable ride on the highway.
    - Very little road noise at highway speeds. Check out the sound insulation in the wheel wells!
    - Highly recommend the Premium Package (dual moon roofs, air conditioned seat, rearview camera, rear seat ac/radio controls, power sunscreen). This option package sets it apart from its competitors such as Accord, TL and G35.
    - Air conditioning is extremely strong – this has always been a strong suit of Nissan’s. Lexus/Acura “low flow” air conditioning are a step back in my opinion
    - iPod integration is the “best in the business” according to most car reviews.
    - HID lights offer perfect light projection on the horizontal and vertical .
    - Maxima does an excellent job on the “little touches”:
    - Door lights are curved 90 degrees at the bottom doubling as puddle lamps.
    - Sun visor extensions are provided.
    - Video cable outputs allow you to watch movies on the NAV screen.
    - Extremely large glove box.
    - Extra large cup/map holders on the front side doors.
    - 2009 Quick Reference Guide is great! 30 page manual - short and sweet.

Weaknesses
    - Bose Radio has two subwoofers in the rear which gives an extremely strong base sound – especially for those who sit in the back seats! I’m surprised there is not complaints about this.
    - Braking power is not as strong as the competitors.
    - While the trunk is fairly large (14.2 cu ft.), the trunk opening is small!
    - Navigation software is nearly a year old (software version says 07-08 model yr)
    - Zig-zag oil dipstick from the Gen 4 Maxima is still there!
    - Tire Pressure Monitors should show air pressure for each tire – like on the Infiniti

Gas Mileage
    - I’ve been getting 21 mpg mostly city and 28 mpg pure highway. Overall, I’d say the gas mileage is very close to the EPA ratings.

Defects
    - None so far.
  • Options
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR REVIEW.
    If I was on a market for a new car, i will follow your opinions.
  • Options
    ahossa1ahossa1 Member Posts: 52
    Your critique of the car is exactly what I was looking for since June 08. I believe I will love this car as you do. The weaknesses I can tolerate. I am sold on this car.
  • Options
    redsoxgirlredsoxgirl Member Posts: 67
    I only have 4 days of experience behind the wheel and in the passenger seat of a 2009 Maxima, but it was for 1,400 miles, so I thought I'd post my opinion for anyone considering the car. I drove 50% of the time with a friend on a roundrtrip between Boston and North Carolina on a 4 day weekend trip (to participate in a triathalon, no less). The Maxima was an "SV" model with "sport / technology" packages and a couple of other options. It had 3,000 miles at the start.

I'd agree with go_mdx1 that the Maxima is 60% "luxury". Lot's of nice amentities and creature comforts that were enjoyable, especially from the passenger seat. And the car was nice and quiet on the highway, happy to cruise all day at 75+ mph. However, I'd disagree that the Maxima is 40% "sport". Maybe 5-10%. I'd give it credit for being reasonably quick, but only when "pushed". Handling and steering were average at best and no better than my friend's previous ES330. Braking was below average. The CVT transmission eviscerated most of the fun driving winding mountain roads and, I believe, is the main culpret in why you have to stomp on the gas to extricate any real acceleration. I was quite surprised when I found out the car was rated at 290 horsepower. It feels more like 230 (e.g similar to 528i, but no where near a 300hp 535i). A lot of those Maxima horses must be getting stuck between the crankshaft and the wheels. It would be interesting to see how the Maxima felt with a manual, SMG or DSG transmission, but alas, this "4 door sports car" doesn't offer anything so sporty. :confuse:

I'd give the remaining 30%+ to the Maxima as a credit for solid, basic transportation. That's not a bad thing, as it sells a lot of Camrys and Accords. In conclusion, I thought the 2009 Maxima was at least as good if not better than my friend's prior Lexus in the "luxury" department. But it's not a mile within a BMW 3/5 or G35S in "sport". I guess "4 door entry level luxury car" doesn't sound as sexy, but that's calling a spade a spade, IMO.

P.S. We kept all of our gas receipts and, at the end of the trip, averaged 24.3 mpg, for 90% highway 10% "in-town" driving. Last year, on the identical trip in my 2007 911 C2S, we averaged just under 26 mpg (at a slightly higher average speed).
  • Options
    Great information on the 09 Max. I must say that after just getting home from a 400 mile round trip to Virginia Beach in my 07 SE with CVT, I experienced exactly what you described. Pressing on the gas at Highway speeds does not cause the rush expected in even a 255 hp car. Makes me wonder where Nissan gets their figures. I don't think Nissan realizes that "Sport" means more than big wheels, metallic trim, and special stitching on the leather seats.
    1 thing I did was switch the transmission over to manual mode, which automatically drops the CVT to 5th gear, then I shifted up to 6 and pressed on the gas. Doing that did indicate a down shift to 4th gear and even to 3rd gear on one occasion. Once in the lower gear, the car will hold it until the red line or until the driver manually up shifts, either way the experience was thrill-less. My 04 with the non-CVT had sharp, quick up shifts and down shifts in auto and in manual mode and it was the SL (NON-sport).
    I find it interesting that we both have the same experience with the CVT when pushing it for that rush of power we all love in a "Sport" equipped car. Back to the drawing board for Nissan.
  • Options
    user421229user421229 Member Posts: 6
    i just purchased an ipod touch but i cannot get the videos to play while my car in in park with the emergency brake on..i own the sv maxima with the premium package. no navigation. do the videos only play with the navigation package???? please help
  • Options
    Without the Nav system, the screen is not a monitor and therefore unable to project images. If you look at the screen when the headlights are on you will see the data points that can turn into letters and numbers, not images. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    In yesterday's Boston Globe I saw two dealers overing the 09 Maxima SV for $26,400 and $26,600. Apparently these were not stripper models as they mentioned that 11 others were available at that price.

With the stock market in a tailspin I would expect much better prices down the road. So I would wait until 2009 before seriously considering purchasing a Maxima or any car for that matter.
  • Options
    andbyeandbye Member Posts: 4
    What is the turning circle for the Maxima 2006 , 2007 and 2009 ?
  • Options
    2006 and 07 radius is 40ft, 2009 is 18.7 (Drastic improvements)
  • Options
    according to edmunds 37.4, my 05 has 40
  • Options
    sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    18.7!!! Wow! Unvbelivable!
  • Options
    http://autos.aol.com/cars-Nissan-Maxima-2009/specs

Here is the website with the turning radius information on the new Maxima
  • Options
    2009 max Turning circle DIAMETER is 37.4 ft
    2009 max Turning RADIUS is 37.4/2 = 18.7 ft

link title

link title

2008 Max Diameter = 40ft
    2008 radius = 20 ft

Not as drastic dufference...only 1.3 ft in radius
    link title
  • Options
    Ah Confucius says, do not confuse radius with diameter. I stand corrected, the turning circle is 40ft therefore as you stated, the turning radius is 20ft.
  • Options
    nemesis04nemesis04 Member Posts: 15
    It may not look drastic on paper but there is a major improvement when you are actually behind the wheel. My 2007 was a real PITA in tight spots. Parking the 2009 Max is a breeze!
  • Options
    I agree that in tight spots a difference of 1 ft in radius is significant.

But to put things in perspective 2008 Acura MDX an SUV has a turn radius of 18.8 ft...ONLY 0.1 ft more then 4D sports sedan Maxima.
  • Options
    strehlowstrehlow Member Posts: 15
    Last night I test drove a 2008 Infiniti G35 and a 2009 Maxima. Loved both of them but can't decide on which to go with. Looking at the Maxima SV with everything on it and it seems like it has everything the G35 has and more except for the warranty and the additional 16 horsepower. But the Maxima is at least 2,000 bucks cheaper too. I know the G35 is supposed to be a better vehicle, but is it? What am I giving up if I go with the Maxima?
  • Options
    Both are very different animals.

If you value sport driving & Luxury more then G35 (Rear Wheel Drive)
    If you value space & Luxury then Max is the way to go.(Front Wheel Drive)

Keep in mind that Max is in its first year and like all first model year cars it has its bugs. G has been around for a while.

If you are in snow belt area the real wheel would be a mistake...you might have to go to G35x...a much better choice.

If you like FWD cars check out 2008 TL too...some great deals to be had there...not as well equipped as Max though.

Infiniti service is great...
  • Options
    Thanks! Yes, I am in the snow belt so I would definitely go for the G35x. I like a more comfortable ride than sporty and feeling the road. Also, It's not like I'll be racing with this car so I would prefer to have a little less road feel and more comfort. Hence, I lean towards the Maxima. I guess one of my big worries is if I am going to be unhappy with the quality of the Maxima vs. G35. From everything I read, it sounds like the Maxima is of Infiniti class. I bought a brand new 2000 Maxima when they first hit and didn't have any problems out of the ordinary so I am not too worried about the new model being a problem.
  • Options
    I agree with sanjaysdca comparison, with a couple of additions/exceptions:

FWD does not necessarily equate to better handling in the snow when it comes with 18+ inch low profile tires. My old 1995 Maxima SE with 15" 60 series tires was great in the snow (northwest PA = 100+ inches annually). But my 2004 TL 6-speed, with 17" wheels and high performance 45 series summer tires was a disaster in the snow. Much worse than a friends 328i that had all season tires. So tires are at least as important as FWD, RWD, AWD.

Second, don't compare horsepower differences and conclude anything. Adding horsepower to a FWD setup has rapidly diminishing returns. The 2009 Maxima feels like it has about 220 hp after you drive it back to back with a 300hp RWD 335i. I suspect the G35 will also feel more powerful.

Third, test drive both cars extensively. The CVT transmission appears to be a love or hate thing with the Max. And it contributes to the feeling of less power compared to a manual or even a decent 5/6 speed automatic. From the sounds of your preferences, that may not be an issue, but I still recommend a lengthy test drive.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I have a 2000 maxima with 222 horsepower and have been happy with it. The 290 should be a noticeable upgrade. Plus, my wife will be driving it a lot so I don't want her doing wheelies. I am going to test drive them several times before making the decision. My main concern is the overall quality of the cars. I know the G35 will not disappoint I just don't want to decide on the Maxima for its features and price and end up sticking more into it for repairs.
  • Options
    This in my mind is the greatest time to buy cars.

If you like the ride of Infiniti's then I would strongly suggest that you test drive Infiniti M35..I know its not in the same percieved price range BUT the car is not selling well. It has $6000 factory to dealer incentive plus $1500 cash incentive.

link title

When I went through the buying process a month ago the dealer in San Diego had three 2007 (yes its 2007) infiniti M's with less then 100 miles on them and he was very motivated to get rid of them.

Something worth checking.
  • Options
    Not being a fan of Infinity cars (except for the G37 coupe) and also not quite sold on the new Maxima and people's love affair with it, I have one question. Other than drive train, HP, handling and all that functional stuff, what is it that gives some of you the impression that the Infinity G35 sedan is more luxurious than the Maxima?
    With the exception of the S, which has cloth seats, the SV models all have interior trims that equal the G, including the same identical dashboard. Standing side by side, the two vehicles, although different in appearance, cannot be distinguished as one luxurious and the other not.
    I agree with the caveat about the CVT, this blog has plenty of comments on it. I agree with FWD vs RWD and HP associated with it. I agree with the caveat about 1st year production Nissan cars.
    On the other hand STREHLOW, if you love the car and feel like you must have it, then that is a great reason to get the car, go for it and enjoy it even with its quirks if any. I think there are some deals available out there that should give you more than a 2k difference between the G and Max. My bottom line however is this, regardless of what anyone says, a Nissan by any name is a Nissan. FWD, RWD, longer wheelbase, more HP or whatever, an Infinity is a Nissan. So either way have fun with the new car, whatever it is and enjoy it in good health.
  • Options
    As for quality, I'm now at 2 months (and counting) on my 09 Maxima and have been EXTREMELY PLEASED with the quality. Far better in "initial quality" than the 2 other Acura's I also currently own.

As for luxury, if you get the Premium Package on the 09 Maxima, you get luxury features you simply can't get in the G35 such as air conditioned driver seat, dual moon roofs, rear AC/Radio controls, power sunshade, rear backup camera (don't even need to purchase the NAV package to get this), and a great IPOD hookup.

As for sport, the G35 (soon to be G37) is a much more sportier vehicle. If you go with the G35x, gas mileage will be a bit lower. I do agree that Infiniti service is far superior to the Nissan service. At least its not as bad as the poor Genesis folks who have traded in Lexus vehicles to get the Genesis and learned the difference between Lexus vs. Hyundai service departments! Then again, in these economic times, getting a Hyundai could be perceived to be far more politically correct than getting a Lexus.
  • Options
    I can gather by your message that unique amenities define luxury for you, what exactly is it that makes a car sportier in your opinion? What do sports have to do with cars. Today's cars all have the same features/options so it is harder to define luxury/sport what it is that sport means in a car. Today's Cadillacs and Lincolns all have mag wheels and black wall tires (only found in sports cars in the old days) so what defines each of the classifications?
  • Options
    That's kind of the way I am looking at this. It seems like the Maxima has more features and the ones that are the same really seem like apples to apples. I think i am leaning towards the Maxima because it will save me a couple of grand and I like the look better. The Altima has been highly rated for so long as well as the Infiniti, and since they are all the same company I really don't think I can go wrong.
  • Options
    Ah, logical way to think, I agree. Besides all of that, the G35/37 body style is old already, the curvy re-fresh was not a total re-design like the Maxima so you will have the latest body style. I am one that thinks that the color of the car can make or break the look, please not a silver one with black seats, such a life-less color scheme, get something unique and a color with some depth.
  • Options
    I bought a brand new 2000 Maxima when they first hit and didn't have any problems out of the ordinary so I am not too worried about the new model being a problem

The 2000's came out in US after they have been around for two years in Japan as Nissan Cifiaro (Spelling??). Hence it was not a TRUE first model year. I too bought first model year 2000 I30 and have been happy...but it was essentially third model year

This MAX is totally new.

Sanjay
  • Options
    ... and build in US.

On the other hand someone who does not appreciate driving dynamics of G should not get one
  • Options
    ... and build in US.

Interesting observation. My 1995 Maxima was the last generation (4th) to be built in Japan. And, according to my Nissan service manager, was the best Maxima ever in terms of solid reliability and durability. Brake pads lasted 90k+ miles, rotors were not replaced until 150k, original clutch, driving chain never needs replacement, etc. And, the quality of the paint and finish is HIGHER than on my 2004 Acura TL, built in Ohio.

I hate to say it, but in my own personal experience U.S. quality is simply not up to Japanese or German quality. Neither of my Acura's, both US built, have the precise fit and finish quality of my former Honda S2000. Proving there is a big difference between do-dads and craftsmanship.
  • Options
    Totally agree here..
    Recently I replaced my 1995 G20 (Japan Built) with 2008 MDX (I believe built in Ontario Canada)

The quality & craftmanship of G20 is/was far superiot them MDX. Just the type/quality/fit and finish of the headliner was enough to make the distinction...

Love the MDX for power and drive...The paint, the cloth seats, etc were great...no fading, no sagging....
  • Options
    2000-2003 Maximas were build in Japan too.