Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Grand Vitara (2009 - current)

2»

Comments

• budman3budman3 Member Posts: 187
    Sort of bored here so I thought I would post. I just have alot more time on my hands since I'm not visiting the Zuke dealer. ;)
    All kidding aside, I'm surprised there aren't more comments on the newer models. Back in 06/07, there was alot more talk. Does this mean everyone is happy or they haven't had a chance to experience any problems yet? Maybe they aren't selling? Anyone planning on upgrading their older models? xostnot? Would you be a loyal customer?
    Just flappin my jaws.
    Thanks to those that have served/serve our country.
    Everyone have a happy and safe Memorial weekend.
    Budman
  • norwoodsmnnorwoodsmn Member Posts: 168
    Good questions.

Re: upgrading, as you/we know all too well, what you get on a trade for one means the answer is NO, (in most cases), until the one you've got "drops". Really, how could anyone afford, cash wise, "psyche wounding wise", or hey, just plain "WISE WISE"?, to justify absorbing that BIG a loss to depreciation, say if you had an '06 or '07 that had finally transitioned out of it's "teething period"? Of course like you I'd like to see xostnot's, or our Quebec bud's perhaps definitive answer(s) to your upgrade question. All I can offer here is, sure, I lusted after the latest models as upgrades were made to the Sidekick(s), BUT. But ultimately instead of "upgrading" I just "scrapped" Russ for cash from our Province's eco recycling fund. "He" was 18 years OLD, and my upgrade was to: ykw....

Back to '06, there was that very effective NGV marketing job which so successfully attracted folks who pre purchase, had little or no idea what might be involved in living with one of 'em, (a Suzuki), longer term. Especially! what it meant to get into an ALL NEW to the marketplace Zuke model. Fast forward here, and [you] maybe best represent those who have now since voted with their feet. All the above is very much more than very too bad though, I think, for those posters out there who currently drive one of these unique O/R capable vehicles, or who may aspire to do so again at some time in the future, (perhaps myself included there). What would my next 4wd Zuke look like?.......

Dear Suzuki:

Go retro. Scrap the too small Jimny, and replace it with a world wide upgrade based upon evolutionary changes to a four door Sidekick/Vitara, (pre '99 Vitara), SIZED chassis. Sure, give it the unibody/frame construction, the latest version of the "new" four cylinder engine, (or maybe even better, a smaller displacement VW like turbo diesel), BUT with a simpler part time 4wd system, (with a low range too of course), to help further conserve fuel. And why not?, maybe give us a pick up and or "crew cab" versions too?

Suzuki-san: further look to the used vehicle marketplace over here. The fact prime examples of Zukes of pre '99 vintage are still sought after today, is further testament to the wisdom of this [downsizing] "new model" idea. Further with pending CAFE mileage figures on the horizon, (good work Obama!), EVERY mfgr's future SUV will need to loose both size and weight to conform. It's either that or let's hope the "SUV" doesn't simply die out, rather that "it" successfully "evolves" (in Suzuki's case), by their rediscovering the wisdom personified so well by their own smaller lighter and SIMPLER O/R capable market offerings here in North America. Can they build a modern one?, well, who better to do so? Again, think China if Suzuki doesn't wake up to meet this challenge in time....

Suzuki: Take a bottle of Sake, and please call us in the morning......

Nwdsmn.
  • bm000092bm000092 Member Posts: 70
    Upgrade ? NO ! For three main reasons, I'm still happy with it, not enough good reason for an upgrade, and when I got it, if my plan would have been to upgrade it, let say after 3 years, I would have gone with a long term lease instead of buying it. Right at my purchase time I was considering to keep it for about 8 to 10 years.

I'm on my 4th summer with the EOM tires (their last season), I'll be doing a 5th winter with my winter tires (it will be their last season as well), so next year I'll need to buy 2 two sets of new tires. When you think about it, this is a big expense, but with that I should be fine for another 5 years. The GV would be around 10 years old after that second set, I'll see then if it still worth going with another expense of around 2000.00 $ of rubbers. Most probably not, it will be time for me to go on the market again, buying new or used ? I don't know yet neither, I had good experiences with both (one bad in each case).

Kids will be gone from home, I'll still be going fishing, camping and skiing, I'd like to be able to find on the market a small economical and simple to maintain SUV.
  • xostnotxostnot Member Posts: 232
    On occasion I do ponder what I would buy if we were deprived of our '06 Grand Vitara. That means stolen or wrecked, not just to upgrade.

We still need a smallish suv with a low range, which pretty well limits the choices to the GV or the Patriot. In the Patriot's favour are the skid plates and raised suspension. And cheap! Against it are the fact it has only one low gear, it's made by a bankrupt manufacturer, and I don't like the styling. I could have nightmares caused by buying a car with a cvt and made by Chrysler.

On the balance of the GV's cost, limitations, benefits etc., I'd have to say I'd buy another one. I wouldn't be thrilled about it, but it seems like the best choice. If they ever put out a version with skidplates and 1" more clearance, it would be a very easy choice.

While the current '09 models are more desirable than the '06-'08's, the differences are relatively minor compared to the differences between any '06-'09 GV and even similar cuv's. I've achieved one of the advantages of the '09, by installing additional sound control measures in our '06. Which leaves just the rear suspension, engine upgrades, rollover sensors and the much missed remote gas cap opener. Those improvements are trivial compared to the fact ours is worth only half what a new one would cost. Plus the taxes on top of that.

I have been preparing to keep the GV for a long time. That's why I went to the trouble to get a second set of (used) oem 17" alloys for my fancy new awesome winter tires. (The oem tires have 32,000km on them, and have 6-7/32's tread left.) Recently I got the front bumper refinished (thanks to an encounter with a frozen snow bank) and also redid a lower door cladding panel that had gotten damaged. I've got a set of clear plastic custom cut film that will be installed on the front end as soon as I get around to it.

But there are still a few issues. One is that I get a very sore [non-permissible content removed] from the leather seats on long drives, and it bugs me that it lacks a shade band along the top of the windshield. And the hysterical transmission. Then there's the valve clearance inspection (next month).
    And greetings and thanks to you'se guys too. Long (and often?), have said a fairly detailed "equation" has to be "solved" before one antes up to own one. If you're out there "givin' 'er", she's still the best deal out there, as we agree. Again, I probably would have gone for an '09 had the deals been sweeter at the time when "Russ" was essentially reduced to "a pile of oxidization". But then I figured I owed one to the wife too, (no small consideration there), as we'd had and loved three new Hondas in past years, and yes, while owning Suzukis, how we got to know the dealership(s) service manager(s), district service rep(s), and on a few occasions, those national customer service types, much better than we would have wished, given free choice in the matter(s). Yet again, sure hope that changes with the '09's.

Re: tires. Time to re-tire [summers] on the CR-V too. Even though our '05 has one "brand new", (a never rotated Bridgestone Dueler H/T mounted on the ALLOY SPARE RIM), both the ride and outside tread wear on the other four is such that I wouldn't consider getting by with three more new ones.... Again on the blogs most CR-V owners strongly dislike these oem's too. So according to my latest research online, the Tire Rack's: General Tire "Grabber AT 2'" might just be the best deal out there for we woodsy types. Pretty outrageous [looking] tread to mount on a part time "city slicker", but read the reviews including one by a CR-V owner actually.... Seems they ride well on the highway, and are very well priced at only $96.00 US plus shipping for those of us who can arrange a pick up south of the line. Pretty sure General Tire's "rubber" is widely available in the Great White North too. Didn't check to see if there is a GV sized one.

Back to the future [of the SUV]. Sure will be interesting to see what the next generation of EITHER the GV, (or it's replacement model, whatever it might be called), OR the replacement? for the unfortunately styled current gen Honda CR-V will look like... Should be coming up on a four year product cycle upgrade for the CR-V next year. For Suzuki, I hope that mid sized car is off the table [here] long term, in favor [instead] of their concentrating on providing us with a bit smaller, lighter weight all new dual purpose city slicker/true bush beater SUV model. Ya, seems PAST TIME also to finally bury that tired old "Vitara" moniker, (to say nothing of that [gag me] pretentious "Grand" prefix), and start out with a completely fresh sheet of "marketing savvy paper". Common sense there I think?, during this nothing less than revolutionary period of upheaval in the the auto industry. Also in the interim now, maybe do a "Mini Clubman like" stretch version of the very attractive little SX-4, and may you be amongst the first mfgr's to bring us one with an eco friendly diesel engine for 2010 as well.. Continued good luck over here Suzuki-san.

Nwdsmn.
    As widely reported in the media now, the XL-7 is toast. Suzuki's ill conceived, (from the beginning), decision to make a GM cloned replacement for the prior gen XL-7, was doomed from the start, IMO. Chief reason why?, no, IMO again, it was not necessarily the obvious one, (the wrong vehicle for the times..), rather it had more to do with brand recognition and acceptance, which, oops, here I go again, dare I say it?, is also tied to brand reliability. Maybe head to head versus GM products and their ilk, it was competitive reliability wise?, (gag!), despite the MANY initial reliability issues it suffered from?, but again, (sorry), it just never could compete reliability wise, vs. a Toyota or Honda SUV. I think ALL knowledgeable prospective purchasers of one, would have had to have known this fact, and so they didn't [buy one]. Is there a lesson there? Well I think there are lots of 'em.

Thank the Deity yet again (for Suzuki), that the new midsized car project was shelved before it got off the ground, prior to this historic low point in new vehicle sales. Now, can they break the agreement with Nissan's Tennessee plant re: the Equator?

I dunno... The next moves for the company seem pretty critical regarding their continued presence in the North American marketplace. First, just how many dealerships are surviving now? The highly regarded (real) Suzuki Swift sold on the rest of the planet is due here when?, (should have been yesterday). While in the SUV department, in keeping with the clear trend towards smaller, lighter, and more fuel efficient vehicles, just bring the long in the tooth "Jimney" over here?. No, it wouldn't have a chance of selling here.

The GV in present form IS undoubtably here with us for a number of years yet in it's present form, (I concede), which is a good thing if it's reliability and ongoing refinement continue apace as per the Co's significant efforts with the '09 models. HOWEVER, (and that's a big one), again seems world wide, Suzuki could be doing its self a huge favor by bringing out a new fully modern "Jimney" replacement, but call it something else [new], maybe giving it a small turbo diesel, [THINK MODERN, PLEASE!], yes, again, with all that off road capability still remaining intact. A new one of sufficient quality/refinement also that it COULD sell here in the North American marketplace. That sort of a wished for niche vehicle is one which Suzuki provided "us" with for years on this side of the pond, up until the uninspired and boring Vitara appeared to "replace" the Sidekick. So one more time, give us a fully modern, less expensive, Sidekick sized Jimney replacement over here and in the rest of the world?, and that would round out the SUV line nicely. Will that happen? Most assuredly NOT if Suzuki chief focus continues to be [first] on seeking to emulate what others are doing, at the expense of what it/they once did best: making a small efficient affordable SUV.... In the meantime, sure hope the GV keeps 'em afloat here, along with help from the SX-4

Nwdsmn.
    Though I have seen another mention that Suzuki has dropped the XL7, the only "official" word I've come across is that they suspended production. That may be exactly correct, or an understated way of saying the model is dead. I understand they built only a handful of '09 XL7's.

I checked out this topic on my favourite Suzuke site, and the XL7 owners don't know any more about this either. A Suzuki rep commented that the XL7 got an extra hit from the move away from larger vehicles. Like you lamenting a Sidekick/Jimney, many wish there was an updated version of the previous XL-7.

While the XL7 sells in extremely low numbers in Canada, I was surprised to learn how many are sold in the US. Thousands, which could make it worth building them.

I hadn't heard that the new generation XL7 has reliability problems, and the owners' website doesn't appear to host an unusual number of issues.

A simplified offroad version of the SX-4 could be a hit.
    Greetings again xostnot.

The XL-7 post I saw said, yes, production had been suspended in September owing to poor sales. Since then however, just within the past week the Co. decided to END production, (period). The North American plant here in Canada where they were built, will now be devoted exclusively to building the new gen Equinox.

I never quibbled with the fact that the Suzuki had as std. equipment, (for instance), a much superior engine to the one available in the Equinox. In many ways I was also pretty sure that the non off roadable gen 2 XL-7 would have been superior to it's root clone vehicle [perhaps] in other ways as well.... In the end however it chiefly came down to brand acceptance, IMO. Had, at any point, any past Suzuki SUV achieved comparable reliability, build quality, etc., etc., stats comparable with that of one of it's respective Toyota or Honda competitors, had the brand ever achieved such a "rep" via earning those credentials, and a "rep" likewise for it's dealer service network, (that wouldn't have hurt either too, would have it...?), with all that in place aforehand, the GM clone might have had some chance to have made it past it's considerable initial teething problems to have made it's mark.. But instead, the handwriting seemed on the wall from the start, to some of us...

If for example, someone had said to me, here: as a freebie you can have either an loaded Equinox, or a ditto, an XL-7, well, [I] am not sure what even [I] would have done. As just one sensible consideration?, for instance, which one might yield the better residual trade in value, and, and, and and.....? As to the mass market, it's pretty clear those unfamiliar with the brand were far more likely to have gone GM, (and did), when having had to actually pay for one themselves. No, don't know what the actual sales stats were, but surely FAR MORE Equinoxes were sold than XL-7's. Yes, there were some model to model differences, but in the end again, it didn't matter. Again therefore another root question remains, was it ever in Suzuki's best interests to make a GM cloned SUV at the expense of abandoning it's niche position of having always had a smaller less expensive SUV model in the lineup? The problem with the prior "little guy" on hand before the NGV appeared, (think the base 4 cyl Vitara), was, it was about as long in the tooth as a beaver which had not chewed wood since the pond thawed.... Ouch!

Now sort of through reverse engineering in a way, of course the new 4 cyl GV for '09 is quasi filling that entry level gap. But a supplemental model new smaller fully modern Jimney/4 door Sidekick sized SUV, would be guaranteed to sell well in the rest of the world, and one would hope, here too as their entry level SUV.

As to an orig gen XL-7, we came very close to having bought [a used one] this past year, after td'ing two of them fairly extensively, but... One pro evaluation of it which I came across stated: they took a mediocre handling vehicle, (the old GV/Vitara/chassis), and made a longer stretched mediocre handling vehicle out of it. I'd have to agree with that asessment completely. So I would have been afraid to have seen what bun might have popped out of the oven, had they based the next gen one on that same tired chassis/suspension setup. Instead, it turned out to be, hey, lets just emulate a GM SUV. Bad karma from the git go.

Again, count me in, as I sure hope they come up with a NEW smaller sized world market entry level model to supplement the NGV in the lineup, before a Chinese knockoff arrives here first. Surely the Suzuki version would be of much greater quality. I quite like the looks of the SX-4 too, but could they make a true bush beater out of it, based on that chassis? Seems the "rig" we may be thinking about here, needs to penned on a clean sheet of paper.

May we live in interesting times..

Nwdsmn.
    My basic reaction to the new XL7 was that it was a blend of minvan and suv. The minivan people would choose to buy something that works even better as a minivan, such as a minivan; while those looking for an suv would choose something more suv-ish, like an suv. No shortage of choices in both. So the XL-7, in attempting to be too many things, ended up bland. Just like the Chrysler Pacifica. Mix many colors of paint and you get grey. People looking for a vehicle just a bit upscale are looking for distinctiveness and specialization, not blandness and versatility.

So the XL7 had quirky styling. Quirky can err on the side of being attractive, like the new Kia Soul; or be quirky unattractive, like the Aztek. The XL7 was quirky/unattractive. Nice engine? Too bad, the neighbours can't see the engine.

Like the Equator, the XL7 may have been relatively cheap to tool up for. But surely the XL7 hasn't repaid the development costs. Maybe Suzuki was desperate to utilize their stake in CAMI. Well, maybe they should have done more research into the styling. I find the Equinox more attractive than the XL7, and the Torrent even more so. They needed something inspired that hung together as do the new GV and the SX4. But no, the XL7 was a mishmash of unrelated styling elements. Surely they could have done better, but instead Suzuki now has another failure on their record.
    Now that's more like it! I'm pleased to note [here] I just saw a news clip re: the J.D. Power and Associates 2009 Initial Quality Study(SM). While there was no individual model data included, of great interest to long time Suzuki fans was the Co's having achieved the honor of showing the greatest degree of improvement of any mfgr for '09, by moving UP from 32nd place in '08, to NINTH IN 2009! Way to go! Of course we'll all have to hope that's not primarily due to their selling Nissan pickups now, (the "Equator"), as I imagine they have to be pretty reliable? Instead lets also hope all those significant '09 upgrades to the GV have been accompanied by like improvements in the area of "gremlin extermination". If so, next up ought to be a maturation of the quality of the dealership network. But any of 'em who survive this current "depression" in the auto industry, ought to be "keepers" thanks to the process of natural selection. But then comes a pretty important question though, how far [then] will you have to drive to have one serviced? Here the marque survives thanks to it's being one of a few different makes sold at the dealership. For stand alone Suzuki dealerships, these truly must be the toughest of times. Looking forward to seeing individual data on the '09 GV's, as time goes on...

Nwdsmn.
    I didn't do the analysis myself, but I've read someone's comments that the '09 improvement in Suzuki's JDP reliability rating is because the inclusion of the disastrous Daewoo rebrand models has "timed out".

Unfortunately, Suzuki's Canadian sales for June were down something like 78% over 2008, the worst of all the brands. They aren't typically that bad, though. I haven't heard of any Suzuki dealers closing in the Vancouver area, though no doubt it's not fat city for them.
    The Dae-WOE Verona didn't make it to the '07 model year in the US, nor, I think? did it here either? Definitely not in the lineup here in '08. The barest of bare bones Daewoo Swift penalty box was still sold in '08 though, wasn't it, and still now too? Haven't been interested enough to check on that.

Older posts indicated "the real" Suzuki Swift was due here for the 2010 model year. That must still be true as they sure desperately do need it in the lineup. In upmarket form, it's considered a real "pocket rocket" where it is sold in the rest of the world. Adios DaeWOE, asap, and bring us that world market, modern Jimney replacement, when you get around to building it, Suzuki.

Nwdsmn.
  • jesb7978jesb7978 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering the 09 GV and have been strongly cautioned not to go through with it due to reliability. I have had a hard time finding anything more than a few specific negatives but Suzukis aren't very prevalent here in the lower 48. I was wondering what you think now that you have had your 09 for almost six months. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
    If you check Consumers Reports, you'll find the GV is not as good as a Rav4 or CRV for reliability, but like most modern cars it's still pretty good. Some say that CR hates Suzuki and their reviews reflect this. An unbiased source is Michael Karesh's true delta dot com, where the GV is about average.
    All 2010 GV's get standard Navi., which seems yet another tip of Suzuki's hat towards "the mainstream of the marketplace" as they continue to aparently envision same. Without knowing yet, on the other hand I'd venture a guess there will still be no skid plates available as an option for the longer [now] term NGV core customer. Once again, go figure... Suzuki GV value to those core customers is primariarly measured in terms of "trinket content" vs. the availability of "out there doin' it" capable equipment, not even being able as an option...? As an interested observer only at this point, I'd like to hear what NGV loyalists think about that...

Future CUV market leader? Honda has announced a delay in the release of it's next Civic replacement. What does that have to do with CUV pioneer Suzuki? The next Civic model is delayed owing to Honda's decision to make a somewhat smaller, lighter, (and hence obviously more efficient), AND ALSO less costly, (it is claimed), replacement. Hang in there... SO as their Element AND CR-V models are loosely based on the Civic chassis, ditto, those two models will downsize a bit while becomming ever more sophisticated and economical, (it goes without saying). There is no doubt Toyota has to be pondering that info and how it will affect the future of the RAV 4. But what about Suzuki?

The new Kizashi midsized car. Yes, its made it to market, and in its finished form I have to say it looks like a potential winner. Rather than the rad concept version, it looks impressively mainstream but more sporty than the now terminally dull Camry, or the giant Accord. They say its the most important intro in the Co's North American history, and there can be little doubt many marbles are bet on its success. In Europe they will get an "Estate" version, (read: wagon), a config which along with it's available AWD option, well if it ever got here, it would be cool, eh?

So where does all this leave the NGV? Speculating/wishing here, first the sharing of the styling DNA of the successful SX-4 and the new Kizashi mid sized sedan, is obvious to the seasoned observer. So where is [this] going? Imagine a NGV somewhat smaller replacement new CUV based on this chassis, or?, incorporating the SX-4 and Kizashi styling cues, while adding in all of the NGV's toughness and O/R capability. Lots of wishful thinking there?, undoubtably, but it seems pretty clear what the future of the segment will look like once the next gen CR-V hits the road. Smaller, (somewhat), lighter, and hence more efficient and ever more environmentally friendly. Hope Zuke will still be a player with an all new updated, (AND RENAMED), CUV model, (one true to its roots), as the decade ahead unfolds.
    Nwdsmn.
  • seabeejimseabeejim Member Posts: 1
    I've had my GV for a few months now, and had a few "oil related" questions that some of you veterans may have knowledge about:

1. When I took the GV into the Dealer for its 7500 Mile service and they changed the oil, the dealer put 10W-30 oil, even though the Owner's Manual calls for 5W-30. The Service Mgr said that for our area (San Antonio, TX) and because of the hot summers, it was OK to use the heavier oil and that it wouldn't affect the warranty. Does this sound right to everybody out there? :confuse:

2. In looking at the Owner's Manual, there are directions for changing the oil and oil filter for a 4 cylinder engine. However, for the V6, there's a note that says to go to the dealer to change the oil filter. Is it that hard to change the oil filter? I presume there's a skid plate or something that has to be removed, but it shouldn't be that tough. :confuse:

3. Is there a source for a repair manual for the 2009 GV? I've looked online at Chilton, Haynes, and Suzuki Accessories and haven't found anything yet for the 2009. Does such an animal exist? :confuse:

Thanks.
    You've been waiting a long time for an answer.
    10W30 is fine for your area. I'm sure the manual gives a few alternatives for the climate you drive in.
    I'm sure the 09 and 06 are the same for changing the filter. It's not easy. Just make sure your engine is cool because you need to reach up inside the motor to grab the filter and oil will get on you. Once you have the GV jacked up high enough, remove the plastic cover underneath the motor. They are little pop rivets that come out easily. You'll see the drain plug. The filter is high up inside and will take a bit of maneuvering around to get the right angle.
    Can't help you with the manual.
    Good luck!
    I posted this in the 06 to 08 section since it didn't give a model year. All the same I guess.
    http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1361/the-worst-small- -suv-money-pits/
    That's an interesting article. Thanks for posting the link.

But the CRV is hardly a replacement for someone who needs the Grand Vitara's 4wd system with low range, or perhaps towing capability.

As for the Patriot being equivalent to the Liberty, the Liberty is a fully capable 4wd while the Patriot is fairly light-duty by comparison.

Certainly people who buy more rugged 4wd's for the image could save money, but you can't send a Forester to do what some people would need a Grand Vitara for. I'll happily pay extra for the GV's vastly more secure handling on winter highways, for instance.

My own used car price surveys show that in my area, used Foresters and Escapes sell for the lowest proportion of purchase price for the cuv's.
    edited August 2010
    Time to dust off cobwebs. The "bet the farm on its success" Kizashi midsized car did not yield the intro year sales figures Suzuki hoped for. It will be tweaked in the front end styling and suspension departments a bit for '11, in an effort to... Regarding the GV, I saw a report stating that a downstream effect of the loss of its GM partnership deal, has resulted in Suzuki having to drop the 3.2l six as an option for 2011. Though I still think the four is adequate for most uses, (but not for towing a large load, for instance), if this info is accurate, it will no doubt send shock waves through the GV fraternity.

Re: the Kizashi, yet again Suzuki has amazed me. Why oh why not to have offered a base intro rwd model with a manual transmission here in Canada, in the interest of possibly helping to attract entry level buyers for what seems to be a basically good new vehicle? But instead, in an economic climate where every potential "new to a brand consumer" would likely score 10' on the "wariness meter", instead all comers were asked to shell out 30 big ones for an awd ONLY, (take it or leave it), model. One further equipped [ONLY] with an engine response numbing CVT transmission (again, take it or leave it), with no six speed manual available, unlike in more blessed regions... Again, I just don't get it....

2011 will see an engine upgrade in the pretty well received SX4, and maybe even the world version of the Swift will arrive some day, if anyone still cares by then. But back to the GV and Suzuki in general. Have to admit even I am now pretty close to being at a loss for words re the overall future of the brand in North America. How could they have gone so far afield from the core essence of what they uniquely once did? Just what was that? Lets see if I can remember... Oh yes, provide us with a smaller, fuel efficient, (for their day), comparatively rugged SIMPLE mini Land Rover like market niche vehicle in their model lineup. But unfortunately it seems this brand from The Land of The Rising Sun may be approaching its metaphorical sunset on these shores. I'd like to be proven wrong [on that]. Yes, again, I'd like to see that hypothetical modern larger "Jimney of my dreams", replacement "rig" appear here on the lot, but having followed the brand now since the 80's, and its many fits and now many more than one false start(s), I doubt they could even pull that rabbit out of the hat at this late date, even if they got the message. I'd like to see the Phoenix (Suzuki), arise from its bonfire, but instead I fear the legend of Icarus may be a more appropriate analogy, barring some sort of an instant "Kia like" product/marketing resurrection.

With no joy, nwdsmn.
    edited August 2010
    Correction re: my "2011" post: On the Kizashi mid sized car, one sentence should have read: "why not.......a base intro fwd model" (front wheel drive only model), rather than: "a base intro rwd model", of course.

Not included were poor (US), mid year sales figure reports, and news of the closure of at least 50 dealerships down south too.

Good news? The engine upgrade in the bread and butter SX4, (to 150hp as I recall), should make it a really entertaining drive. Also, If the GV is further refined in its 4 cylinder form, and the reliability proves to be there now as the data comes in after the significant '09 model upgrades, well, that would be progress. Further, as the low range transfer case is now standard equipment again, [FINALLY], Suzuki should consider offering an entry level "Classic" de-contented model with optional available skid plates, etc. That could help lure some of we Suzuki SUV "ex pats", back into the fold at some point in the future. For the record, if a manual transmission equipped fwd Kizashi was offered here, I would be interested enough to give it a test drive. I do respect Suzuki's bold efforts with the vehicle, and attribute part of its intro problems to the economic climate, and "up" here, to the lack of different model options.

nwdsmn.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    “I don't think it's a big surprise given their lackluster sales performance of recent years. They have have low margin, low-priced cars with small volume. That's far from the ideal combination,” said Jessica Caldwell, an analyst with auto information company Edmunds.com.

The good news:

"Suzuki said it will continue to honor warranties and will provide automobile parts and service through its parts and service dealer network."

American Suzuki to file for bankruptcy, end U.S. auto sales (LA Times)