Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

05 Malibu ?

05mali05mali Member Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Chevrolet
I was wondering if any one could tell me if there is any recalls on a 05 malibu for the past year my powersteering will just go out on me and then I have to pull over and shut the car off and turn it back on and it is fine also for about the past month my gas gauge will start going nuts on me it will say it's full then empty and sometimes it will go past full and set off a code and I will get a cel and i reset the code and it is fine any help would be great .

Comments

• Options
    cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Might be easier to read and understand if your run on sentence was broken down a bit huh?
  • Options
    05mali05mali Member Posts: 2
    yeah it would . I am sorry but I pretty much just want to know if there is a recall or if chevy is fixing the power steering problem on the 05 Malibu .
  • Options
    justin33justin33 Member Posts: 1
    how do i remove dash on 05 malibu maxx to replace hazard switch
  • Options
    newfienavynewfienavy Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys, has anyone had any trouble yet with the AC in your cars. I bought mine over a year ago and 3 monhts ago it started making loud screeching noises. Brought it to a Mechanic and he disconnected the AC unit, but it is going to cost me over $1200.00 to get it fixed. Also give or take once a month whenever I start the car, I get nothing in the way of lights, odometer, RPM gauge, radio, etc. Anyone have any advice?
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    first I would get a second estimate/diagnosis on the A/C......mine acted up a few times in the almost 7 years Ive had my 04 Maxx LT....it simply wouldnt cool.....all it took in my case was to turn the car off and restart it.....solved the problem...as far as the gauges...same think....probably less than a hand full of time same issue.....simply restarting the car solved the problem.....

you may need an ECM reflash or update....only the dealer can do that....as far as the AC goes....sounds like the compressor perhaps......but again...would get a second estimate....what does the 1200 buy you now?
  • Options
    eversoleeversole Member Posts: 1
    Purchased my malibu in 2005 and has worked great except for one problem, there are times where it won't start. Usually when it does happen it just takes one or two times of turning the key and then it starts. This has happened on and off since we purchased the vehicle. It has been into the dealer multiple times but since they aren't ever able to duplicate it they can't figure out why it is happening. Has anyone else ever had this problem and if so what did you do? I am afraid that the problem might be getting worse because today it took several minutes before I could get it to start up.
  • Options
    gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Eversole,
    I apologize that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • Options
    ridgerunner835ridgerunner835 Member Posts: 10
    my wife recieved a letter from CHEVROLET GM the other day that says it is extending the warranty on the electric power steering ON SOME 05 malibus for up to 10 years from the date the vehicle was put in service,or up to 100,000 miles and they will reimburse you if you can prove that you have already had it repaired/replaced.i don't know what the ON SOME means,it does't explain in the letter.we have not had any trouble with hers as of yet,it has 78K on it,but it is good to know we have a while longer on that.
  • Options
    retiredguyretiredguy Member Posts: 67
    Some Malibus had the old hydraulic pumps and would not experience the issues of the electric steering. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Is there any word yet on the 05 Mailbu's AC being looked into yet? I have spoken online with about 40 people so far and they all have the same problem that I do.... It makes a screaming noise that bad when you start the car that it has to be disconnected. It is expensive for a person to fix and it is not guaranteed to work.
  • Options
    greenizegreenize Member Posts: 8
    I have an 04/05 model and right after we bought it - around 40,000 miles it did the same thing to me and when I took it in to the dealer, they said they are having issues with the power steering column computer - it that costs $700 - they called GM for me and GM paid 1/2 of the cost since I had just bought the car and the warranty had just went off and the extended one didn't cover it. Good Luck because you couldn't even steer it when mine did that. I had to pull over and turn it off and on.
  • Options
    Mine does this too, but I have never taken it in to find out what it is. There are days that it will do it multiple times, then some days it won't do it at all..
  • Options
    gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Curious, what extended warranty didn't cover it?
  • Options
    The one I purchased from the Dealer when I bought the car with 36,000 miles on it.
  • Options
    gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    I bought the GM GMPP major guard and it will cover it.
  • Options
    I bought the car from a used car dealership with a great background and it only came with a 2 year warranty. The warranty was up 8 months ago
  • Options
    You are lucky! I bought mine from a new car dealership, but the used car area and it only had 26,000 miles on it at the time and I bought an extended warranty that covered NOTHING!
  • Options
    Mariah, I have had the same problem, but I just figured the starter was going out - been doing it since I bought it Dec 2006. I had 26,000 miles on it when I bought it and the only other issue was the steering that was replaced at 40,000 miles, but GM paid half of it and then the passenger blinker goes out constantly. Have replaced it 7 times this year alone! Do they know what is wrong with the starter? Has there been a recall?
  • Options
    Hello Greenize,
    I can check if there was a recall for you. I will need you to email me your VIN in order to do that. Has the blinker concern been fixed, or is it still present? I apologize that you have had concerns with your vehicle. Thank you,
  • Options
    Mariah,
    I just replaced another blinker last week and now the same side headlight, not sure what is going on, but the mechanic thinks it is eletrical and if that is the case it has always been an issue. Can you please email me privately, it says not to post the email address though. Is there an 800# I can call?

Thanks so much,
    Donna
  • Options
    malexbumalexbu Member Posts: 169
    then the passenger blinker goes out constantly,

In both my 05 Malibus, some blinker bulbs had to be "replaced", more
    than once; when the cars were under the manufacturer's warranty, a
    dealer "replaced" them.

The "replaced" above is quoted because I don't know if the bulbs were
    replaced, indeed -- that was on the bill (paid by GM) and the blinkers
    started to work.

With the car out of the MW, I had to take a look myself when one
    blinker stopped working. Well, the bulb didn't need a replacement --
    it was as good as new. I just had to fix it better in its socket. A
    20-minute no-cost job if you read the manual first.
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    it seems to be a socket problem....I had the same issue under warranty and the socket was replace.....the blub in the current headlight assembly configuration gets very hot with the DRLs on...my yellow covers have melted through on both sides....I have also noticed a heat related problem with the sockets and contacts.....and have to bend the connectors inside the socket out in order to make contact with the bulb base.....I have also noticed the bulb based slightly warped due to heat related issues as well....I have an 04 Maxx LT..fast approaching 170K on it
  • Options
    Hello Donna,
    I would be glad to speak with your further about your concern. I clicked on your name and your email is set to private. You can email me and you can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
This discussion has been closed.