Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Window noise

jim287jim287 Member Posts: 13
edited August 2014 in Pontiac
Has anyone had excessive wind noise from the driver's window. It has been in the shop twice for this and now they tell me it's normal, that compared to the other G8s it's about the same. I have never had a new car have this problem.

Comments

• Options
    wigtwigt Member Posts: 6
    We have an 09 G8 and do not have that problem. The lack of wind noise on the vehicle actually surprised us.. Sorry I can't offer any help
  • Options
    quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    I was provided a "loaner" 2009 G8 GT while they located the one I eventually bought. The loaner was quiet but the one I bought had moderate noise. I had mine in for adjustment and they claimed to have adjusted the door and corrected the problem. I have noticed no difference, better or worse.

As for what's normal, I'd suggest meeting up with a group of G8 owners. They tend to have meet-ups from time to time in various areas. Maybe you could get some comparison data at a meet. It's what I plan to do with the little quirks my car has.

Also, try this forum and see what you can find: http://www.g8board.com/forums/index.php

There is a LOT of great information there. Look me up if you like. My user name is Quietpro.
  • Options
    gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Did you ever take the vehicle back to the dealership, and tell them that the noise is still occurring? Or possibly have them ride in the vehicle with you? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • Options
    I had it in the dealer twice for this. My service rep. said he had the service manager ride with him and he said that all the G-8's were like this. I never had this with my other Pontiacs. My Gran Prix is 10 years old and has less wind noise. I am going to try 1 more time.
  • Options
    Yes, I have taken it in. The latest was this weekend when I was in for a CEL for the gas cap. I was told that they believe it is mirror noise...but I must say I'm not sure why the mirror on this car is noisier than that on the other. Worse yet, the passenger side is quiet.

If you are indeed from GM customer service, you might want to pass down the word that sometimes, the customer does their research and knows a lot about their car. In my case, I'm convinced I know more about it than any of the service folks I've visited (3 dealerships). I have reached the end of my patience at being told I don't know what I'm talking about when the person telling me 1) keeps thinking my car is a G6 2) thinks it is FWD 3) can't accurately relay my complaint 4) claims the TSB I provide to them doesn't apply to my car but somehow manages to pull a different TSB as the reference.

I was told I'd get a call tomorrow to provide the TSB. I'm betting it is the TSB relating to flashing the TCM (which doesn't apply to my vehicle). Unfortunately, I was referring to the rough 2-3 shift with engine flare. I am likely going to escalate this beyond the dealership since I have tried 3 in the area with no resolution. If you have any advice, I am open to it.

Fortunately, I absolutely LOVE this car. The problems I have are minor annoyances but I believe they could (and should) be corrected if only the service department would take me seriously...or at least attempt to address them without assuming I don't know what I'm talking about.

For whatever reason, I'm still loyal to GM. But, I'm certainly not typical and if GM ever wants to regain its superiority, it will have to re-educate it's dealer network staff.
  • Options
    Hello Quietpro,
    I apologize that you have had a less than optimal experience at the dealership. I assist customers all day and most of them are extremely knowledgeable about their vehicles. Just to clarify you are having the noise issues and the rough shift from 2nd to 3rd correct? Can you please email me so I can get some more information from you? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • Options
    whoosierdaddywhoosierdaddy Member Posts: 76
    ONE side mirror? Not likely. It could be many things; but I recall many years ago I had a noise problem that everybody heard except the dealer service tech. I took it to a body shop and it turned out to be a door not sealing properly. They said the door of my "new" car had been damaged in an impact and not repaired properly. Again, just one of many possibilities. I also am very happy with my G8.
  • Options
    Yes, I took it back again. At first they said nothing could be done and then agreed to replace the door gasket. This did not help at all. They say the wind noice is bcause of the way Pontiac designed it, with the wind flow over the window. Funny thing is you can sit on the side of the road and hear the outside noise from the driver's side, but not the passenger side or the rear windows.
  • Options
    jim287,
    Will you please e-mail me with your contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I would like to look into this for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    How do I e-mail this information to you?
  • Options
    jim287,
    If you click my username my e-mail information is there.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    Thanks, I just sent the information to you.
  • Options
    Jim/Christina,
    If you can follow-up here with your results in getting this taken care of, I would really appreciate it. Getting a service center to actually acknowledge a problem exists seems to be the hardest part of any of this.

Is there a resource we can use to find dealerships with ratings from GM? On the various forums in which I participate, it seems there are several that are very customer oriented. However, it wouldn't be practical to repeatedly take my car to dealer after dealer looking for a quality service department.

Any help on this would be great!

Thanks,.
    Ron
  • Options
    I took my G-8 to another dealer, but had the same results. Took a ride with the service tech. and as the speed increased I asked him if he heard the wind noise, but every time he said it was the same. He and the service manager said all G-8's are very noisy. I like the car, except for this problem and have decided this is my last GM car. GM did follow up with the dealer.
This discussion has been closed.