Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Which year of the VW Jetta TDI is the best?

zundarzundar Member Posts: 1
edited August 2014 in Volkswagen
I am looking to buy an economical car or sportswagon. Nothing I see compares to the mpg of TDI. Do not want to buy new. Which year and or model should I be looking at?

Comments

• ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    My 2009 TDI has been trouble free.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    If you are looking for inexpensive way in to TDI-ownership... Pre-2005 has the 'original' TDI engine in it. They made literally millions of this 1.9L engine and it gets BETTER MPG than the newer ones. That engine is good for about 500,000 miles if the proper oil has been changed regularly.

After that, there was a few years of the Pumpe-Duse engine... The camshaft has 4 additional lobes to drive high-pressure fuel pumps for each cylinder. STAY AWAY from that one. It requires a very special oil and the camshaft still may disenagrate.

A manual xmission is the only way to acheive 55+ MPG. Automatics are too inefficent and waste engine-power.

Dont forget the 12-year/ Unlimited mile corrosion warantee. So you are protected from rust for a very long time no matter which VW you chose.
  • fflintstone1fflintstone1 Member Posts: 19
    I used to have a 2003 TDI which had the ALH (pre-PD) engine. It was trouble-free, and I got ~40 mpg. Now I drive a 2010 TDI Sportswagen which gets about 43 mpg (and climbing), and its 2l CR engine provides a lot more power than the older ones.

If you are looking to buy used, well, the Sportswagen has only been out since 2009. Both years models are pretty pricey, and a few of the 2010's have expensive issues with their HPFP.

If you get one of the older TDI's make sure you avoid the auto tranny (01M) which was a POS. Apart from that, with regular upkeep (correct oil, TB changes etc) these cars can last for many many miles.

The 2011 models are said to be cheaper (VW trying to gain market share) so some might go for new over used.

I think if you drive a lot (long distances!) a TDI makes sense, otherwise go for the gasser.
  • vigorlovervigorlover Member Posts: 40
    Isn't the 2011 Jetta SportWagon the same as 2010? I understood that VW did not change the wagon yet, so for 2011 it will still be the old model and will not match up with the lower cost one until 2012.
  • roccusroccus Member Posts: 6
    do NOT buy a 2009....just passed 80k on mine...loved it up to this point. The DPF(diesel particulate filter) and catalytic converter have to be replaced. $4000.00 that's right THOUSAND. I called VW customer service and was told they are only required (federally) to cover those parts 8yrs or 80k(Iwas at 80,800) but they would send me a service voucher for $250...Thanks....same week I spent 450.00 for a door latch...and 750.00 for new glow plugs...as a side note I never missed a regular servicing and 75% of milage is highway.......also timing belt is a scheduled change @ 90k($1200-$1400 qoute by dealer) so much for saving money with a TDI! BE CAREFUL
    edited September 2011
    So sorry you feel gyped... but I fail to see a problem with the "vehicle"

I shall explain:
    *)GlowPlugs are considered a "wear item" (and only cost about $30 each as they fail)
    *)Timing-Belt is also a "wear item" and it was a KNOWN cost when you purchased the car. (You KNEW at what mileage and how much it would cost)

As for the "Emissions Control Equipment" (DPF and Cat) You were handed a "Federal Emissions Warantee" when you purchased the vehicle. Have you read it?

May I suggest you join the TDI Club website and READ READ READ to bone up on your vehicle. I am estimating you can save several thousand dollars with some education.

HINT: Perhaps it is your DEALER that is costing you money.
  • steviostevio Member Posts: 1
    Yes, it is usually dealers who cost the money, But who are you going to trust wilth changing the timing belt? And yes you can get a glow plug for $35. But the dealer charges $750. - so what is your point? Are you saying the Tdi is a good value because everyone should change their own glow plugs? And you are the first person I have heard read emmisions manual - so what was your point on that - Read so you are less uncomfortable about major part failures?

Lastly, Do i really need to join a club to own an economical vehicle

Steve. 2001 Golf TDI. (sold at 40k) to avoid timing belt 40k interval change
    rip-off
    edited November 2011
    WHAH: You missed almost every point I tried to make... it must be my fault - please allow me to try again

!) "who are you going to trust wilth changing the timing belt?" Do some research, there are lists of "trustworthy" mechanics who are not VW dealers and are very experienced in TDI maintenance.

2)"And yes you can get a glow plug for $35. But the dealer charges $750. - so what is your point?" My point is DONT GO TO THE DEALER to perform a $50 job when they charge $750

3) "Are you saying the Tdi is a good value because everyone should change their own glow plugs?" I am suggesting that you should either do basic work yourself - or quit complainin about dealer-ripoffs.

4)"And you are the first person I have heard read emmisions manual - so what was your point on that - Read so you are less uncomfortable about major part failures? " The point is that the Federal Government has rules in place which forces the MANUFACTURERS to cover all emmissions equipment for longer than the 'standard' vehicle warantee. All That stuff is still covered in your vehicle. If you had read the Federal Emissions Warantee - you would know this stuff.

5)"Do i really need to join a club to own an economical vehicle " The TDICLUB is the very best source for TDI information. It may have the word "club" in its name but it is no more a club than edmunds is.
  • jdeezeljdeezel Member Posts: 1

bpeebles is 100000% correct... NEVER EVER EVER EVER TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE STEALER (DEALER) FOR service!!!!!! EVER!
    I've had 4, yes 4 TDI's, and just bought my wife a '11 toffee brown Sportwagon. I constantly get 40-45 mpg and I drive like a idiot!!
    The most expensive part that failed on my TDI's that I've ever had to replace on any of my TDI's was a $60 N75 valve and some vacuum line ($20). Timing belt changes can be done by YOU, with some mechanical abilities. TDIclub.com has TONS of write ups with TONS of pictures on how to do this YOURSELF! You do need a cam lock tool and another lock tool, but they can be rented for about $75 from friendly people on the TDIclub.com list. The TB kit available at IDparts.com is like $120-$200 for various models of TDI's. Said kits come with EVERYTHING you need to replace all parts while you're that "deep" in the motor.
    I'm getting ready to delete the EGR and Diesel Particulate filter in my wifey's TDI as I do not have emissions tests in my area. Hence, no expensive charge, FROM ANYONE for PDF service.
    once you get 45MPG AVERAGE, YOU CAN NEVER GO BACK!

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

The best TDI, and for that matter, all used German cars, are ones with warranty left on them. Not because they aren't good cars, but because they are expensive to repair.

If you won't want to, or don't have the time to be proactive with a used German car out of warranty, or you can't connect with a reliable independent repair shop, or do some DIY yourself, then don't buy a German car out of warranty.