Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Whining Noise

airman19airman19 Member Posts: 1
I just purchased a 2009 Equinox and I love it. I traded in 2 problomatic cars to get it however so every noise I hear I get paranoid. Just recently when I decelerate but don't come to a full stop and then accelerate again I hear a light whining coming from the rear. It only lasts for about a second and is pretty quiet. It has only happened 3 times. I was told that when you do that the rear wheels launch the vehicle and you might hear a slight noise from the rear differential engaging. I just wanna see if that noise is normal or if it is something I should get looked at. Thank you.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try a search for "whine" in the whole Equinox board while waiting for other owners to join in.

I see about 4 other posts with this issue in the rear end, but not from a near stop.

Anyone?
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    If that sound worsens with time it's one of your "rear wheel hub bearing" it happened to me on my 2005 Equinox.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    airman19,
    Have you taken your vehicle into a dealer? If the problem is a concern I would take it to the dealer. Please keep me posted.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jdittrich07jdittrich07 Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Equinox makes a noise like a traditional power steering system would when the fluid is low... except that there is an electrical power steering system in my car that requires no fluid. The noise gets louder during acceleration and can not be heard when going a constant speed. the performance of the car is not affected by the noise. Please help if you have any suggestions. Thanks.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Have you contacted your local dealership regarding this issue? There are many benefits to taking a vehicle to your local dealership. You can guarantee that technicians are ASE certified and that the parts come with a GM parts warranty. For these reasons, I would recommend taking the vehicle to your local dealership to be diagnosed. They should be able to assist you further and have a plan for addressing the issue. I can also look into this issue further. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, and current mileage, I will be able to take further steps. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  • naphirinaphiri Member Posts: 3
    I have experienced the same classic symptoms (fuel in oil and engine sounds like diesel)everyone else has reported here. My engine was replaced in July after the May bulletin was issued by GM. I've been driving the car for about 3 weeks. Everything has been positive thus far. I'm still experiencing poor gas mileage. The best I have ever gotten is 23 mpg with regular gas. I have not yet tried a premium gasoline with the new engine. The noise in the engine and other issues have been resolved as far as I know. I'm taking the car in for a air conditioning belt change (coolant was spilled on it during the work) and I'll have the oil checked then just in case.

Once the bulletin was issued on the engine, I received excellent service at my local dealer. The car was addressed promptly and I was given a rental car. The staff was professional and courteous. Having said that, I will not buy another GM car. This vehicle was not properly tested before it was released for sale to the public and I will not pay $30,000+ for the privilege of being a guinea pig. They have lost my family's business forever with this one.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    We're so glad to hear that your dealership has taken such great care of you while getting this resolved! Please let us know if we can look into anything further for you; we can be reached at [email protected]
    Sarah, GM Customer Service