Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sienna Tires & Wheels

Comments

• Options
    mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    Run flat tires are used on ALL AWD Sienna's. It handles fine with regular tires, but you then have to store the full size or Mini spare inside the cabin.
  • Options
    ckirkckirk Member Posts: 18
    I didn't know a Mini spare was an option. Would it use Toyota's retro-fit spare tire holder? Does anyone have the Mini spare set up?
    Has anyone used this product ContiComfortKit, http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/conticomfortkit/index.jsp Tirerack salesman suggested using it with Non-Runflats, in lieu of spare.
    The '04 awd xle is our first "luxury" car/van. We've taken 2 >2000 mile trips and the ride is great; less fatigue, faultless performance, very comfortable. We love it(except 17 mpg).
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter would like to talk to owners of run-flat tires. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than June 25, 2007 with your daytime contact information.
  • Options
    johnsonmichaeljohnsonmichael Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for this excellent post. I've been checking tire pressure and tread ware on my wife's 2006 Sienna lease for the last 6 months. The tires are not holding pressure properly and are showing dramatically uneven tread ware. The dealer is not going to be happy when they hear from me today!!!
  • Options
    robkampenrobkampen Member Posts: 4
    Where to start....Purchased new 2004 Sienna XLE AWD in March 2004, serviced every 5000 miles by Toyota service in Orlando FL. Keep pressure at 35psi as typical manufacture suggest too low pressure to improve ride, particularly as RFT has harder side wall. By 16,000 miles the tires are getting noisy and show uneven wear. Get full re-alignment, no difference to the noise, tyre company says uneven wear is the cause of the noise. Each 5000 mile visit to my Toyota dealer I complain about the tires, no action, no offer of help, except they offer to replace them for me at their cost. This works out 150.00 higher than local Goodyear, go figure. Buy first set of replacements at 20,000 miles. RFT are 250.00 EACH! but none in FL, so buy a set of regular tires. Decide to pay some of the savings on a AAA membership for when we get a flat... Approach dealer about options for a spare..get a run around and no solution, no offer of compensation. Time to change dealers. Second set of tires gets noisy after 15,000 miles (35,000 total) - these are regular tires running at 37psi. Once again, pay to have alignment checked, no problems, but car getting more noisy. At 40,000 decide its too much and head to Goodyear for another set of tires. This time I spend about $60.00 per tire (after AAA discount) and decide to run at 39psi. Did another alignment check to make sure. Now at 67,000 miles, no noise, reasonable wear and much happier. Had a flat tire while on a trip last spring, called AAA, delivered car and myself to the local WAL Mart (it was a Sunday) repaired for $20.00 and all is well. Run Flat tires are junk, soft rubber on the tread just wears too much with AWD - Toyota haven't got their act together on this combination, with what is otherwise an excellent vehicle in EVERY other respect.
  • Options
    kj2005kj2005 Member Posts: 17
    You're welcome.

UPDATED as of 30K miles. Ater about 2500 miles I still have 10 32nd's of tread on all four Dunlop SP 4000 DSST Ctt tires and the wear is even. New the specifications say they come with 11 32nds so this seems plausible. Recall, I had the realignment at 27K miles when the new [replacement] tires were installed.

The new tires are quieter, the ride is much better (i.e. VERY noticable), and the wear is even so far.

I will continue to measure tread depth and tire wear every 2-3 months to see what happens "the second time."
  • Options
    silverlooneysilverlooney Member Posts: 1
    I have the original tires on my 2005 Sienna LE FWD(not run-flat tires thank goodness!). What are the best performance all-season ones to get for mostly country driving in the mid Atlantic states? There is not much snow here and I let my husband drive then anyway. I have almost 36,000 on the original tires and there is about 500 miles left on them according to the inspection I just had done in June. Should I go up a size or stick with the original which I think is 16? (I'll need to check this.) The roads are pretty curvy around here, but I do some interstate driving. Thanks!
  • Options
    jim1969jim1969 Member Posts: 62
    Are people with the 07 having the same issues?
  • Options
    summit1summit1 Member Posts: 1
    First, sorry for those with RFT issues from earlier models. My question: The RFTs for 07 models (and so 08 too) were redesigned. Are any 07 owners having (or not having) RFT issues? You probably know CR is monitoring an 07 set and so far they've reported normal wear. We're seriously thinking of buying an 07 or 08 Sienna AWD, but I want to sense the RFT premature wear issue is in the past. Thanks.
  • Options
    redappleredapple Member Posts: 6
    I switched to conventional tires and got Toyota to pay for replacement from runflats since they were inferior and defective. Just threaten them never to buy Toyota again. Ride is much more quiet and smooth without run flat. Get a good road side assist and you'll be set in any case.
  • Options
    I switched to conventional tires and got Toyota to pay for replacement from runflats since they were inferior and defective. Just threaten them never to buy Toyota again. Ride is much more quiet and smooth without run flat. Get a good road side assist and you'll be set in any case.
  • Options
    Muy spare is called "Roadside Assistance".
  • Options
    I switched to conventional tires and got Toyota to pay for replacement from runflats since they were inferior and defective. I threatened them never to buy Toyota again. Ride is much more quiet and smooth without runflats. My full size spare is called "Road Side Assistance".
  • Options
  • Options
    I got Toyota to pay from my replacement tires from RFTs. I threatened never to buy Toyota again. They sent me a check once I provided invoice for replacements. Go after what is owed to you. Don't just let it go. $500+ is too much money to let go. I have conventional tires now and they ride quietly and smoothly. Get a good roadside assist rider on your insurance and you're good to go. Forget about carrying around a full size spare. I bet most of the ladies and many men who drive Sienna's may not be able to or want to change their own tires anyway.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    OK, we hear ya! No reason to post the same thing several times. ;)
  • Options
    mtbpacmtbpac Member Posts: 1
    Recently had a punctured RFT on a 800 mi trip, TPMS did not alert me and I'm not sure how long the tire was driven on. Dealer told me there are 2 diffent types of monitoring, one through the valve stems and the other through the ABS, which monitors tire rotation. According to the dealer, my '05 Sienna has the ABS tire pressure monitoring which was negated by the RFTs! Argued the ABS monitoring with the dealership stating the new tire rotation will be different in comparison to the other tires since there is less than half the tread remaining on the others. In reality, this should trigger the monitoring system, but does not. Does anyone know whether or not this is true or was I given a bunch of babe talk! The materials from the manufacturer state there is a tire pressure monitoring system in place for RFTs specifically and I remember having this discussion with the salesman prior to purchase.
  • Options
    metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    the obvious drawbacks, can anyone share their experience with runflats (specifically Bridgestones) with regard to overall performance (i.e. rain, snow, etc.?)
    Thanks,metmdx
  • Options
    Up to 06, they used the ABS. 07 and newer models now use actual tire pressure sensors in each wheel.

There are trade-offs - if you want to buy snow tires expect to pay a bunch more for the extra sensors.
  • Options
    baron64baron64 Member Posts: 41
    Interested in the '08 Sienna AWD. Can one swap out the RFTs with normal tires on the same rims without any modification? OBTW for any Sienna AWD owners - are you happy with your choice? Thanks
  • Options
    wheels13wheels13 Member Posts: 51
    I knew the problems with runflats when I purchased the van and planned on replacing the RF when they wore out with regular tires. Now after one year and 20,000 miles I like the safety of the tires and will replace with RF at about 28,000 miles. The ride is a little harsh with these hard tires.
  • Options
    Don't think so, I'm pretty sure the rims are unique and regular tires do not fit.
  • Options
    Brdgestone RFT snow tires are even noisier, as you can imagine. I have been through 2 sets of all-season Bridgestone RFT and got the snow tires recently. Why? Because they were cheaper(at TireRack). 62000 miles. I, too, debated using the regular all-season Yokohama's and buying the Continental Tire Inflater/Sealer(also at TireRack). What to do? Can do nothing.

Is anyone getting a second set of free Toyota warranted RFTs?
  • Options
    mleonardomleonardo Member Posts: 45
    I am sick of the runflats on my 05 sienna. I have had too many bad experiences with the Bridgestones that my van came with. I can't believe the bad experiences I have had with Toyota concerning this issue as well. 40 grand for a van and they wont even give me a spare wheel. Toyota gave me a load of crap about the van being designed for runflats. I use snow tires on separate wheels in the winter time here and have no problems whatsoever. Instead of designing the AWD van with a spare, they say it was designed for runflats. I was sent a letter from toyota that states they will replace the runflats under warranty if they wear before 36000 miles. My van has 30000 miles and the tires only have about 20000 since i have used the snow tires the last two winters. But I dont want anymore runflats. So I guess i will have to replace them myself this spring when i take off the snow tires. Can anyone recommend a good set of conventional tires for this van?
  • Options
    wheels13wheels13 Member Posts: 51
    Have any of you that changed from RFs to regular tires noticed an increase or decrease in your gas mileage. I think the RFs may give better mileage since they are hard. I just switched to regular tires, only got 19,000 on the RFs
  • Options
    That may have more to do with air pressure in your tires than the makeup of the rubber. Is the pressure in the conventional tires set the same as the runflats?
  • Options
    35 psi all around for the conventional wheels and tires on my 2007 per the owner's manual.
  • Options
    siennaswedensiennasweden Member Posts: 7
    Hi!
    We just put on new non run flats on ours 2007 awd sienna,now we canot cancel the light that comes on at the tirepressurewarning.
    The pressure are all the same and i tried to reset it by the book but it doesent work anyway.
    Any clue?
  • Options
    Hmm, do you have the original rims with new tires?
  • Options
    bsdstonebsdstone Member Posts: 4
    My 06 Sienna has 30K miles and needs new tires...I'm furious, but can't do much about it...went to the local tires plus joint and they quoted me $580 for 4 tires installation, balancing, etc.
    He said there really isn't any other alternative except for the run flats which are about twice as much...said it's a wierd size combonation.
    Anyone have any suggestions that are cheaper and will last longer than 30,000 miles?
  • Options
    If they are the original tires, toyota has issued a warranty extension on the runflats. I hate them but I just got this notice and figured a free set of new runflats is better than spending my own money for new tires right now. Your lucky, my runflats only lasted 20,000 miles. once these new ones wear out i wont mind paying for a new set since I will get at least 40,000 miles total out of the two sets. I will however replace them with conventional tires. In my opinion the runflats don't deliver for the extra money. My local dealer replaced all 4 of them at no charge and without even a question. They confirmed that my old ones were shot and replaced them when I had my van serviced. I have been pissed at toyota about these tires but am pleased that they at least gave me a new set for free. They still wouldn't give me a spare wheel but im tired of fighting them for one.
  • Options
    bsdstonebsdstone Member Posts: 4
    Unfortunately these aren't the run flats...they are the regular tires...supposedly they are "performance" tires on a 17" rim and are hard to find anything but these...I have a hard time swallowing $580 every 30K miles for tires....can anyone reccomend a better replacement?
  • Options
    bzmombzmom Member Posts: 1
    I think you should all consider yourselves lucky. I wish my tires got 30K. I have a 2004 and there are 57723 miles on my van. I have had 4 pairs of tires put on at no cost to me. Some only got 10K. This last pair which I had put on at 35998 (haha) has lasted me almost 22K. I am at the junction where I need to either buy 4 runflats at $1100 or non run-flats at $615. After this pair I will be looking to trade my van for a different awd vehicle. I have loved the van because it has done everything I need it to and more, including carrying 4 x 8' sheets of plywood laying down. But I am looking for something different come spring.
  • Options
    bzmom,
    You had 4 pairs(sets?)of tires put on for free? Toyota replaced our 1st set of 4 runflats for free and our 2nd set now are worn out at about 60,000 miles. Did Toyota replace more than one set(4 tires)for you for free? I hadn't thought they would and haven't asked.
    http://www.tirerack.com/ has 4 Bridgestone runflats for less than $1100, if you do, instead, keep your van. I love this van. We've traveled quite a bit and it's a great ride.
  • Options
    hchunhchun Member Posts: 6
    Hi, thank you for your input. Is extended warranty applied to new vehicle as well? I just got Sienna 2008, and am trying to find best way to avoid 'tragedy on long distance trip'. I am thinking buying one 17"wheel with conventional tire , so that if I have a runflat in the middle of nowhere, I could use this conventional one temporarily. what do you think?
  • Options
    did you solve that problem?
  • Options
    I heard conventional tire will fit for original rim. did you buy conventinoal tire yet? did you try? I just bought sienna 2008 AWD and have same issue. thanks in advance.
  • Options
    I just bought Sienna XLE AED 2008, and need some input about my thought from experts.

Q1.Are these available options? probably yes, then which one do you prefer and why?
    Option 1. Keep RFT and purchase 'road hazards program', and having spare tire on extra wheel for long distance trip.
    Option 2. Change to conventional tires, and having sapre tire on extra wheel.

Q2. Which conventional tire is best for 17" AWD wheel? we don't need to change wheel itself right?

Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    I remember the letter being for 04 - 06 models but if im not mistaken, the tires are still the same BRIDGESTONE B380. Your idea to carry a spare wheel with a conventional tire is a good one. Thats what I do now too.
  • Options
    jcortneyjcortney Member Posts: 7
    Where do you carry the spare? If it is loose inside the van you are traveling rather dangerously as that is a lot of weight to start flying around in a crash?
  • Options
    where did you get 17" wheel? thanks.
  • Options
    Up on the luggage rack. It straps down to it pretty easily once i get it up on the rack. Its a little heavy but with a conventional tire on the wheel its not nearly as heavy as the runflat. I got another stock wheel for the spare from ebay.
  • Options
    morrisos1morrisos1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a '04 Sienna LE. My second set of tires have been terrible. I want to replace with good ones. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Morrisos
  • Options
    Check the Tire Rack ratings for reference.

Whichever tires you end up with, keep in mind the factory pressure for these is a relatively high 35psi, make sure you check that. I was surprised by that setting.
  • Options
    s4f4ms4f4m Member Posts: 19
    I guess Toyota is covering their rears against any new claims. In the tire pamphlet on RFTs, it states that treadwear can be anywhere from 20-40k miles. That may even cover Toyota/Dunlop on the prorating the treadwear.

Just bought a new Sienna thinking that the warranty on the tires was covered by the 3/36, but not so. I'll have to make a decision when I come to it later re: new RFTs or Michelin HydroEdge's; I wish they made TripleTreds (love those tires) in 225/60TR17. :(
  • Options
    Tire warranties are never covered by the manufacturer. They cover their own, seperate warranty from the tire maker, i.e. Dunlop in this case.

That's been the industry standard for as long as I can remember.

I think for a short while Audi did have a short-term program where you only paid for gas, and they would replace even tires, but that deal's long gone now.
  • Options
    My beef with toyota was never over the treadwear. It was over them not giving AWD owners a spare. RFTs don't do anything for you on highways where the speeds exceed 55mph. But the fact that they gave me a free set of tires when mine wore out more than covered the cost of me buying an extra wheel and tire for a spare. I would never expect a car company to cover tires for treadwear since driving habbits and air pressure/rotation which are the responsibility of the owner can have a huge impact on the life of the tires. I am no longer angry at toyota about this. I don't regret buying the AWD sienna. It has been the best handling vehicle for snow and ice that I have ever owned.
  • Options
    Based on all the internet chatter, it seems that people are upset that Toyota never alerted them re: the low treadwear and expense of these tires. It seems that they have now in their stack of owners manuals/pamphlets.

I agree that they should have modified the vehicle and added the spare tire kit hardware, so that if people wanted to spend the extra money on a wheel and tire, they could. Modification of the back frame where adding the kit would not prohibit the third row from folding down (as my it's my understanding that it will) if you opt to stay with RFTs.
  • Options
    Check out:
    http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=10590

Seems as though increasing tire pressure to 40psi (light load) and 45 psi (heavy load) might offer better treadwear for RFTs. The OP (and other posters) seem to think that Toyota's 35psi is too low for the gross unloaded weight of the Sienna - leading to quicker treadwear.

Might be a consideration...maybe even up to 38 psi to have a balance of treadwear and ride comfort.
  • Options
    rawdatarawdata Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2005 Sienna XLE and overall love it. I've done a lot of searching on the internet, but can't find answers to my situation. After about 5000 miles, the dealer told us we had to replace one of the alloy wheels and that it wasn't covered under warranty. There was some kind of a crack in it. Ok, fine. We have lots of construction in the area so maybe we just hit a pothole bad and didn't realize it. Sounded hokey at the time, but we did it anyway.

At 40,000 miles, they are telling us that one of the wheels is cracked and another is out of round. They said that this happens all the time with alloy wheels since they are aluminum. These aren't cheap so I am pretty concerned about this. With the extreme popularity of alloy wheels, it seems strange that we would have this many problems with the wheels. The only time I've ever had to replace wheels on any car in over twenty years of car ownership is when one of my buddies in high school grabbed my arm from behind me and we swerved into a higher than normal curb at about 40 mph. Dented the steel wheels and blew the tires. That wasn't too bad as they were about $40 each at the time from a junkyard. These alloys are over 10 times that cost and I certainly don't want to be replacing them every couple years.

My questions:
    - Are alloy wheels really that "fragile"? If so, why are they so popular since no place in the US has perfect roads in every location so the wheels won't get damaged and have to be replaced all the time?
    - Obviously, trying to purchase replacement wheels from a dealer is going to be more expensive. What are some other good options for places to pick up wheels? Are the internet vendors ok? Does shipping negate any savings I would get over a dealer's prices?
    - Are there other types of wheels that not only look good on the Sienna, but will last longer than the alloy wheels like we currently have? Again, there is lots of construction in our area and will be for a long time. I don't want to have to replace all the wheels this frequently. I've seen posts about replacing them with Highlander and Camry wheels. Does that make sense to do? Does replacing them with another type of vehicle's wheels get us any benefits?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!