Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Home Theater

2»

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    I like the thin profile and the lack of heat they give off, yeah. I just started thinking about getting one, and I have noticed prices have fallen considerably already...maybe something good will come up in the next couple months.
  • Options
    Very impressive set up there - much nicer than mine, lovely location.

That 8000 series 40" doesn't seem to be available here. Maybe in 2010 when new models arrive, we will get that.

I was in Switzerland a couple months ago and a friend I stayed with had a new Panasonic unit, 46" I think. Very impressive display...probably some model not available in NA.
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    What a panoramic view of the Bay of Biscay (if I am not mistaken). I would love such a view but unfortunately I cannot bring the Bay of Biscay to Toronto. Lake Ontario will suffice for now though the city skyline gets in the way from my office-loft view.

Love your book shelves. I really do. They make up for the lack of topless beach women who seem to be very shy and are hiding behind the trees of your photo. ;)
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Thanks again for your suggestions.

I still got to get used to this notion of having a digital box and recording cable channels. Luddites like myself are quite bedazzled by such modernity.
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    That is a phenomenal view you've got there. My wife and I have to go on vacation to have views like that :)
  • Options
    I still got to get used to this notion of having a digital box and recording cable channels. Luddites like myself are quite bedazzled by such modernity.

Haha. Once you go DVR, you never go back. I find the concept of "broadcast schedules" laughable these days. You mean you expect me to be in front of my TV at a specific time and I have to sit through fifteen minutes of commercials? What is this, 1877?
  • Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    LG,
    Thanks again for recommendations for the 65" flat panel. In addition to the 65"for the family room, we've decided to also put a flat panel in the master bedroom. I know that there are those that advise against a tv in the master bedroom, but we don't worry about a tv ruining our love life... haha.

Anyway, I'm thinking that a 50" or 55" would be plenty big for that wall, and I understand there are better models available in those screen sizes than available in 65". So, in the 50" to 55" range, what do you suggest?

When I return to Malibu next week, I'll start checking out your top picks in both the 65" and the 50" to 55" range. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks for your continued help.

TM
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Very nice, Jose. It's all good, but the view out the window was what blew me away (as an ex-sailor).

Happy New Year!
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    Heck with the TV... Ha... It's always the view that really captures the eye, and you have a terrific location there!... obviously. One day, very soon now, within a couple months, I will be lucky like you, when we can actually move into our little Malibu remodel, as it overlooks and views the Pacific Ocean... I can hardly wait to get out of the temporary rental.

Thank you for sharing something often kept private. Over the years, your posts have shown that you live an enriched life and are clearly a blessed man... With a great family and a loving partner to share your life. That is your biggest blessing! Bravo!

TM
  • Options
    From what I have been reading, the Samsung 8500 series backlit LED looks like the best flat panel out there in 55".

With CES just around the corner (I think next week in Vegas), I'll wait to see what new TVs are announced. Hopefully a backlit 65"LED to join the 55"... or some other improvements or breakthroughs, but I have no interest in 3D TV that is coming soon... Unless they eliminate the goofy goggles.

TM
  • Options
    From what I have been reading, the Samsung 8500 series backlit LED looks like the best flat panel out there in 55".

The 8500 is the best LCD TV currently available, but remember that viewing angle is a significant issue with the LED backlit sets, and unless you are directly in front of them, you won't be getting the picture quality you paid for. Depending on your bedroom layout, a conventional LCD or even a Plasma may work better.

Assuming they follow their usual schedule, Samsung will start replacing this year's LCD sets in April, and a new flagship to replace the 8500 should drop in October. Sony doesn't follow the same pattern, the XBRs have been a bit all over the place in terms of technology used and market positioning.
  • Options
    Unless there is a breakthrough announced at CES, I will likely choose between these two awesome panels...

The Samsung 8500 vs. the Panasonic V10.

Should be a terrific comp.

TM
  • Options
    jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Regarding small/medium-size tv sets, the images I saw in LG 42"SL9000 and Loewe Connect 26" Media caught my eye too in addition to that of the Samsung EU40"B8000 I eventually bought. No one was a bargain anyhow.

As for Blu-ray, in the medium range I can recommend you the Panasonic DMP-BD80 or DMP-BD60, depending on the audio-output complexity you wish to have. I would be astonished if you could not find these models with Region 1 specs. over there.

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    Yeah, I am going to get one of the Panasonic Blu-Ray machines you mention. I am getting a region-free model as there are a host of Euro market discs I want that don't exist in NA format.

Does anyone have experience linking a region-free disc player to a modern TV? Is there a compatibility issue anymore?
  • Options
    OW, Fintail, Dewey, LG, Cdpinhead, TM: many thanks for your nice words.

(Dewey—The Bay of Biscay is it, you remembered well. And the topless beach women on its shore are like flowers, sprouting every May!! :) )

(LG—Lake Maggiore is not a bad place to spend some time!)

(Cdpinhead—When I see a ship crossing the bay I wish I were in it! :cry: At least for a while. :P

(TM—After your recent move Malibu will offer you and your family the most beautiful venue. Will you miss Hawaii? Sure you don't.)

…

Happy Evening and wealthy, happy and venturous 2010 to all in the thread.

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Say What!? Dump the TV and only view the beach scene! :blush:

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    . . .the topless beach women on its shore are like flowers, sprouting every May. . .

Phrases like this are why you've been so well received on the forums, along with your knowledge of the various topics. Thanks for all the great contributions.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    :blush::blush:

Thanks to you (and all the friends around here).

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331
    That is a great view!

Jose, I think you are my new best friend.. Mind if I stay over for a couple of weeks? :blush:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Just in case anyone wondered...it appears a region-free Blu-Ray player can't be used with a normal NA market TV without an adaptor box. A compatible LED TV costs significantly more than using a convertor.
  • Options
    On this note, I just purchased a region-free Oppo Blu-Ray player which works in NTSC and PAL, so a converter won't be necessary. It cost a little more, but barely more than a Panasonic model plus converter. TV will come soon.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    So you went on the OPPO bandwagon too! I first recommended them to my family years ago, and last year got my own Universal plays everything on a disc including BluRays Oppo player. I'm super happy with it, I got their top of the line Special Edition (SE) model last year which allows me to keep my old HK receiver for multichannel playback at the highest possible quality. Nothing I bought has broke, so the only way I get something new is by upgrading.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    remember seeing this before. I too enjoy my home theater setups. I have one in the main living room and a system in the basement/game room for watching football with the guys.

My main system is aging, but includes

Sony 50" LCD projection
    Klipsch 12" powered sub
    Yamaha RX-V1 receiver
    Denon POA-2200 amp for fronts (receiver powers the rest)
    Yamaha DVD S1200 DVD
    Sony ES 6 cd-changer
    Pro-Scan VCR (just kinda hanging out)
    Mix of cables (lots of Canare/Beldin stuff)
    Comcast DVR

Downstairs (pieced together (cheap) system that doesn't perform all that bad but pales in comparision to upstars)

60" Sony XBR lcd projection
    Kenwood receiver
    Phillips DVD
    Bose Surrounds and center, 80s vintage Sony towers for front

Vintage music setup
    Marantz 1060B
    Marantz Imperial 7 speakers
    Technics SL-1900 turntable

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options

Had to replace my receiver about a year ago since it died. Got it fixed for about $280, but took awhile, so I got the HK 7550HD receiver. Happy with it, but it has a weird fan that can be loud on rare occasions for a brief period of time.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options

I see I never replied here. Yes, I bought the OPPO and still have it, funny to spend $500 on a machine I use several times a year to watch foreign material. I suspect it will last for a long time.

• Options
    My OPPO from 2010 still works fine. I'll replace it with another when it eventually dies, or will it? It has been getting heavy use lately from my 2-1/2 year old daughter who likes repeatedly watching African Cats or Monkey Kingdom (Disney Nature) Movies every single night for what seems like forever.
  • Options
    Mine is still working fine too, also from 2010. I love being able to just pop in a Euro market disc and have it work without hassle. I don't use it a lot, it'll probably last as long as the tech is viable.